Iowa Catholic school fires teacher after Facebook survey indicates she doesn't believe in God

May 28, 2010 Full story: Http 7

A Catholic-school teacher from Fort Dodge has been fired because of a Facebook survey in which she said she did not believe in God.

Full Story

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#1 May 30, 2010
She was fired for "principles contrary to the dogmatic and moral teaching of the church."

I've paid a lot of money to send my kids to Catholic School. A Lot of money. I fully expect the teachers to support, defend and advocate the Catholic viewpoint. At one school we had a new teacher who was not Catholic. He came from the public school system. He was very happy to be teaching in a decent school where the kids did their homework and didn't knife each other. He was also very careful to not discuss his religion. Any religious questions from the students he would pass on to the Priest or another teacher to handle. I had no problem with this. I would have been very upset if he had pushed his religion on my kid.

So I support the school that fired the teacher. The teacher posted in public that she does not believe in God. The issue is her doing it in public.
Zombie Corpse Rental

San Francisco, CA

#2 May 30, 2010
NiteClerk wrote:
She was fired for "principles contrary to the dogmatic and moral teaching of the church."
I've paid a lot of money to send my kids to Catholic School. A Lot of money. I fully expect the teachers to support, defend and advocate the Catholic viewpoint. At one school we had a new teacher who was not Catholic. He came from the public school system. He was very happy to be teaching in a decent school where the kids did their homework and didn't knife each other. He was also very careful to not discuss his religion. Any religious questions from the students he would pass on to the Priest or another teacher to handle. I had no problem with this. I would have been very upset if he had pushed his religion on my kid.
So I support the school that fired the teacher. The teacher posted in public that she does not believe in God. The issue is her doing it in public.
Damned straight! Only YOU can push your religion on your kid, not some trained 'educator' with a 'degree' in 'education'!
Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick, it's high time the parents of the world stood up and screamed "We can't prove god exists but you WILL teach our children that he does exist!".
It's the only logical solution to the problem of taking responsibility as a parent. Push it off on someone else!

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#3 May 30, 2010
NiteClerk wrote:
The teacher posted in public that she does not believe in God. The issue is her doing it in public.
The article said that her response to the survey was available only to her friends. So how is that "doing it in public"?

Location hidden

#4 May 30, 2010
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
The article said that her response to the survey was available only to her friends. So how is that "doing it in public"?
The article also said ... "There were printouts of the Facebook page and of that Nexus group that the kids actually had," he testified. "When students in a Catholic school are running around the school with this survey and it says,'Do you believe in God?' and it says,'No,' well, that's in conflict with what we are teaching."

So it must have been in the public view.

Location hidden

#5 May 30, 2010
Zombie Corpse Rental wrote:
<quoted text>Damned straight! Only YOU can push your religion on your kid, not some trained 'educator' with a 'degree' in 'education'!
Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick, it's high time the parents of the world stood up and screamed "We can't prove god exists but you WILL teach our children that he does exist!".
It's the only logical solution to the problem of taking responsibility as a parent. Push it off on someone else!
In your haste to spew forth your venom towards God you forgot to read what I posted. I pay a LOT of money to send my kids to Catholic School. So I expect the trained educators with degrees in education (and specific subjects) to push my religion on my kids.
Peace.
Zombie Corpse Rental

San Francisco, CA

#6 May 30, 2010
NiteClerk wrote:
<quoted text>
In your haste to spew forth your venom towards God you forgot to read what I posted. I pay a LOT of money to send my kids to Catholic School. So I expect the trained educators with degrees in education (and specific subjects) to push my religion on my kids.
Peace.
I think that's very noble of you, raising another generation of guilt-ridden people to think a man in the sky is going to torture them for eternity if they make a mistake while they're alive.
The fact that it's costing you a lot of money makes it funny.
The fact that we'll have to deal with these people as they spend their lives reconciling scientific fact with this insane fiction isn't quite as entertaining.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#7 May 30, 2010
NiteClerk wrote:
The article also said ... "There were printouts of the Facebook page and of that Nexus group that the kids actually had," he testified. "When students in a Catholic school are running around the school with this survey and it says,'Do you believe in God?' and it says,'No,' well, that's in conflict with what we are teaching."
So it must have been in the public view.
If you tell a friend something in private, but, unknown to you, your friend secretly records your conversation and then posts the recording to the Internet, would *you* be the one who put your conversation "in the public view"?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Dodge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IA Who do you support for Governor in Iowa in 2010? (Oct '10) Aug '14 Go Blue Forever 63
IA Iowa House primary ground zero for gay marriage... (Jun '10) Jun '14 slayer rules 411
IA Who do you support for Treasurer in Iowa in 2010? (Oct '10) Mar '14 daxton 9
IA IA Natural Resources and Outdoor Recreation Tru... (Oct '10) Mar '14 aez 17
Free Obamacare Seminar (Jan '14) Jan '14 Just Me 1
fort dodge police (Apr '10) Dec '13 ike 4
CHEVY Male 3yrs old Sharpei lost in Fort Dodge (Dec '13) Dec '13 Dog Lover 1
•••
•••
•••

Fort Dodge Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••