A Greedy City Fayetteville NC

A Greedy City Fayetteville NC

Posted in the Fort Bragg Forum

Greedy City Fayetteville

Fayetteville, NC

#1 Mar 27, 2010
Gates Four will become another Bonnie Doone under city management, The only holier than thou live in Haymont around the old money dogs of fayetteville. We only subsidize the tax roll for these few. Look at all the social events in the city newspaper and the same old money faces will be in presidents. Have you been invited to the balls? How many are paid for with tax revenues. Get ready for city services that are pitiful at best. Northwood Temple and a few homes on Ramsey street are entirely surrounded by the city and has been for many years. Why is land in plain sight of the market house still annexed?
Greedy City Fayetteville

Fayetteville, NC

#2 Mar 27, 2010


Lawyers for the city of Fayetteville have filed a brief asking that the N.C. Court of Appeals dismiss an ongoing lawsuit between the city and a neighborhood seeking to avoid annexation.

According to documents filed earlier this month, the city is looking to dismiss an appeal by the Gates Four Homeowners Association and strike from the record an affidavit from the association's secretary.

The homeowners association filed the appeal in October, seeking to overturn a judge's August decision that dismissed Gates Four's protest of the annexation.

The appeals process is expected to take longer than a year to resolve, and annexation plans have been delayed indefinitely.
Long fight

The neighborhood has been battling annexation for most of the last decade.

In 2008, the City Council voted 7-3 to annex Gates Four. The neighborhood had been removed from a larger 2005 annexation, dubbed the Big Bang annexation, after an earlier lawsuit was settled in 2004.

Gates Four, which is surrounded by Fayetteville on three sides, has more than 600 homes, an 18-hole golf course and a clubhouse off Lakewood Drive. If annexation occurs, the city stands to gain more than $2.6 million in additional tax revenue over five years, after costs are factored.
Latest lawsuit

In the latest lawsuit, filed in December, Gates Four's lawyers say the city's annexation plan failed to meet state requirements for urban development or services. Gates Four homeowners already pay for curbside trash collection, road maintenance and a small security force that stops visitors at the gate.

In the city's brief, filed March 16, lawyers argue the claims by the homeowners association violate court rules that require pleadings to be "well-grounded in fact" and moves to strike an affidavit from secretary Mike Molin on the grounds he is not an expert in the topics in which his affidavit covers.

The brief says the association "could not identify a single fact supporting any of their petition's claims."

It said Molin's claims should be stricken because they are his opinion and are not based on any expert training based on any background in law enforcement, fire services or municipal services.
Tax payer like you

Raleigh, NC

#3 Mar 28, 2010
And the moment the residents of Gates Four leave their private oasis, they immediately consume services directly provided by the city. Their private security forces do not follow them, keeping them safe while travelling through Fayetteville; FPD picks up that task. Their homeowners association wont repair the road that leads to Gates Four; City of Fayetteville road maintenance does. The fact is that the citizens residing in Gates Four use their fair share of city services, and all without helping pay the bill. Noone wants to voluntarily pay higher taxes. I dont. You dont. Gates Four residents dont. But fair is fair...they're using the same roads, police, fire, sanitation, parks and recreation services that I use; therefore, they should help pay for it.

Also, it is apparent that you've never worked in Bonnie Doone before the city took over. Crime in this area has dramatically decreased since Fayetteville services moved in. Is there crime in Bonnie Doone? Of course; just like Massey Hill, Drake park, Lafayette Village and many other areas of Fayetteville. So your comparison of Gates Four to Bonnie Doone is a shoddy comparison to support your argument.
Greedy City Fayetteville

Fayetteville, NC

#4 Mar 28, 2010
Tax payer like you wrote:
And the moment the residents of Gates Four leave their private oasis, they immediately consume services directly provided by the city. Their private security forces do not follow them, keeping them safe while travelling through Fayetteville; FPD picks up that task. Their homeowners association wont repair the road that leads to Gates Four; City of Fayetteville road maintenance does. The fact is that the citizens residing in Gates Four use their fair share of city services, and all without helping pay the bill. Noone wants to voluntarily pay higher taxes. I dont. You dont. Gates Four residents dont. But fair is fair...they're using the same roads, police, fire,.........sanitation, parks and recreation services that I use; therefore, they should help pay for it.
Also, it is apparent that you've never worked in Bonnie Doone before the city took over. Crime in this area has dramatically decreased since Fayetteville services moved in. Is there crime in Bonnie Doone? Of course; just like Massey Hill, Drake park, Lafayette Village and many other areas of Fayetteville. So your comparison of Gates Four to Bonnie Doone is a shoddy comparison to support your argument.
Sorry to say but I amm a landlord in Boonie Doone and know first hand that city services are better in almost all other areas of the city. Put the drug dealers and prostitutes in one area and keep them there. The city decides where they live. And a new plan will emerge as to what the grand plan for the Bonnie Doone area in the next few months.
former Fay

United States

#5 Oct 25, 2010
Greedy City Fayetteville wrote:
Lawyers for the city of Fayetteville have filed a brief asking that the N.C. Court of Appeals dismiss an ongoing lawsuit between the city and a neighborhood seeking to avoid annexation.
According to documents filed earlier this month, the city is looking to dismiss an appeal by the Gates Four Homeowners Association and strike from the record an affidavit from the association's secretary.
The homeowners association filed the appeal in October, seeking to overturn a judge's August decision that dismissed Gates Four's protest of the annexation.
The appeals process is expected to take longer than a year to resolve, and annexation plans have been delayed indefinitely.
Long fight
The neighborhood has been battling annexation for most of the last decade.
In 2008, the City Council voted 7-3 to annex Gates Four. The neighborhood had been removed from a larger 2005 annexation, dubbed the Big Bang annexation, after an earlier lawsuit was settled in 2004.
Gates Four, which is surrounded by Fayetteville on three sides, has more than 600 homes, an 18-hole golf course and a clubhouse off Lakewood Drive. If annexation occurs, the city stands to gain more than $2.6 million in additional tax revenue over five years, after costs are factored.
Latest lawsuit
In the latest lawsuit, filed in December, Gates Four's lawyers say the city's annexation plan failed to meet state requirements for urban development or services. Gates Four homeowners already pay for curbside trash collection, road maintenance and a small security force that stops visitors at the gate.
In the city's brief, filed March 16, lawyers argue the claims by the homeowners association violate court rules that require pleadings to be "well-grounded in fact" and moves to strike an affidavit from secretary Mike Molin on the grounds he is not an expert in the topics in which his affidavit covers.
The brief says the association "could not identify a single fact supporting any of their petition's claims."
It said Molin's claims should be stricken because they are his opinion and are not based on any expert training based on any background in law enforcement, fire services or municipal services.
I know when I was annexed by the city, all I got was trash service that never showed up on time (if at all). Oh, and yeah, then I had to pay so much more in taxes.

Since: Mar 09

Raleigh, NC

#6 Oct 26, 2010
You are a landlord in Bonnie Doone!!!! And you live in Gates Four? Hmmmm, can you say slumlord?
william

Fayetteville, NC

#7 Nov 15, 2010
lilacs57 wrote:
You are a landlord in Bonnie Doone!!!! And you live in Gates Four? Hmmmm, can you say slumlord?
lilacs57 wrote:
You are a landlord in Bonnie Doone!!!! And you live in Gates Four? Hmmmm, can you say slumlord?
Can you admit to being part problem? Yes I rent to the lower income who can barely manage to survive. Most have kids and most of their income goes to food,electric. Yes they pay $350.00 in rent of which the county and city collect about half of the income for taxes. A tenant of mine always receives a newly painted interior,clean stove and refrigerator. There are no holes in the walls and all electric and plumbing work correctly. There are no leaks in the roof and the floors are clean and solid. No there is no way of getting rich renting in this price range. Most times the only benefit to it is helping the unfortunate have a decent place to call home. I;m I sorry for my part in being a slum lord? No! I can sleep at night knowing I have done my part in providing a quality home at a very fair price. And you, what are you doing to help your your neighborhood.
bo bo

Fayetteville, NC

#8 Nov 20, 2010
lilacs57 wrote:
You are a landlord in Bonnie Doone!!!! And you live in Gates Four? Hmmmm, can you say slumlord?
You know I do. Just keep sending me your rent on time. Disagreeing with me is your right so don't worry that I would evict you for such. Please clean up the trash in the yard. And please keep your kids off thee roof.

Since: Mar 09

Raleigh, NC

#9 Nov 25, 2010
william wrote:
<quoted text><quoted text>Can you admit to being part problem? Yes I rent to the lower income who can barely manage to survive. Most have kids and most of their income goes to food,electric. Yes they pay $350.00 in rent of which the county and city collect about half of the income for taxes. A tenant of mine always receives a newly painted interior,clean stove and refrigerator. There are no holes in the walls and all electric and plumbing work correctly. There are no leaks in the roof and the floors are clean and solid. No there is no way of getting rich renting in this price range. Most times the only benefit to it is helping the unfortunate have a decent place to call home. I;m I sorry for my part in being a slum lord? No! I can sleep at night knowing I have done my part in providing a quality home at a very fair price. And you, what are you doing to help your your neighborhood.
Just what does my statement have to do with being "part of the problem"?Are we feeling a tad bit guilty sir? By the way I find it hard to believe that you offer nice,clean and safe rentals for 350.00 a month.Have a nice night's sleep Hun.
Travlnman

United States

#11 Sep 8, 2012
Bonnie doon is a haven for all the crime one could ever kno ! I kno personally !!!
Travlnman

United States

#12 Jan 24, 2013
you couldn't pay me to live in bdoone ! Make that exist .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Bragg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Welcome Mongols MC (Jun '16) Jun 20 Pat McCrotch 13
Mud Sharks at Golds Gym in Hope Mills Jun 20 Pat McCrotch 15
News NC starts Chemours investigation over GenX Jun 16 funfundvierzig 1
katie barker from KY (May '12) Jun 13 local 2
Soldier pedophile (Feb '09) Jun 10 Annew 17
Looking For Wolfgang Gonzalez in Fayetteville ,... (Apr '09) Jun 8 Frankys Mom 12
pen pal??? Jun 5 boredaf 1

Fort Bragg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fort Bragg Mortgages