Army's wounded face tough love

Full story: The Honolulu Advertiser

FORT BRAGG, N.C. - Staff Sgt. Jason Jonas says when he goes to bed at night, he is terrified his medication will cause him to oversleep and miss morning roll call again.
Comments
1 - 4 of 4 Comments Last updated Oct 29, 2011
ncsleep

Fayetteville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2009

http://vets.yuku.com/forum/view/id/76

a must site for any active duty troop, his/her family representative, or veteran facing disability, military or va medical boards
ncsleep

Fayetteville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2009

For more than 20 years both VA Disability criteria and criteria used by all branches of the armed services categorize narcolepsy and narcolepsy with cataplexy in the same category as petit mal epilepsy. Yet when discharging military members with narcolepsy, the military, particularly the Navy and Marines, ignore the standards set up by their own Medical and Physical Evaluation Boards and Congressional requests for documentation as to how many members were discharged because of "disciplinary reasons" verses medical reasons for narcolepsy is conveniently unavailable. For any service branch to say it has standards for discipline and moral of the troops and not to follow its own standards is what you seem to be missing on your reproach as to the individual with narcolepsy's fitness for duty. You are not to blame. People tend to bask in their own ignorance and particular rank and file in the military on this subject. People who become HIV positive in the military are treated with more respect and rights than persons diagnosed with narcolepsy. I ought to know. As a Viet Nam era enlisted veteran for more than six years, two college degrees, a direct military commission, and former national narcolepsy network board member, I was offered a lump sum separation at the age of 32 in 1983 in the amount of $25,000 or face possible court-martial and additional administrative hassle which was not to have command involvement in my medical treatment and resources available. Unfortunately, the military has not changed. There was command interference and even if there had been no lump sum separation or disability income available, I was proud, and still am proud, of the job I did for my country. At the expense of my wife and newborn baby, I risked court martial and as far as I know, I am the only person in any of the military branches to have received a 100% military discharge after years of TDRL, humiliation, and anguish. When the military comes at a person who becomes disabled for any reason on active duty who has the highest performance ratings and suddenly says: "You are of no use to us anymore and we are going to tarnish your record," it is time to fight. Those with narcolepsy typically have no missing arms or legs to show for their injuries, even PTSD folks in some settings, because (heaven forbid) of the popularity and fascination with this "new" term, have a better listening ear than persons with narcolepsy. Earlier this week I talk with a psychiatrist fellow who was working in the Sleep Disorder center at Duke who wants to make a career in working at a VA hospital with persons diagnosed with PTSD. We both agreed the command structure in any military setting continues to discourage soldiers from seeking help if they want to continue their careers. NARCOLEPSY carries an even worse stigma.
stressed out

Fort Stewart, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2010

my husband was told he had narcolepsy almost a year ago he served in iraq 3 times but this time he couldnt go now his unit is back and they are giving him hell can someone tell me what i can do this unit is making him pull staff duty every other day his narcolepsy has been getting worse since hes been on provil 600mil he is a sgt but they tell him they will take his rank one mess up or even late hes got very bad ptsd please someone email me thats been threw this my emil is babygirl2120012000b@yahoo.com
quick3579

Clifton Heights, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2011

stressed out wrote:
my husband was told he had narcolepsy almost a year ago he served in iraq 3 times but this time he couldnt go now his unit is back and they are giving him hell can someone tell me what i can do this unit is making him pull staff duty every other day his narcolepsy has been getting worse since hes been on provil 600mil he is a sgt but they tell him they will take his rank one mess up or even late hes got very bad ptsd please someone email me thats been threw this my emil is babygirl2120012000b@yahoo.com
All you have to do is call your congressman he she or he will straighten it all out that is harassment, good luck

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Fort Bragg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 48 min Waco 1909 58,648
NC judge: Private school vouchers unconstitutional Mon Bob 14
Lets Celebrate The Umoja Festival Aug 24 Spookala 1
Review - Quality Tree Service Aug 23 Review 1
dead beat dads (Feb '10) Aug 21 Ladygh 7
NC officials seek comment on fracking rules Aug 20 Twisted 2
Review: Tint Plus (Oct '11) Aug 15 Heather lynn 6

Search the Fort Bragg Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Fort Bragg Jobs

•••