Van Hotel cleanup

After teenagers were spotted in the upper floors of the Van Hotel on March 5, Willits police had to get into the building to make sure they had left. Full Story
its about time

Kelseyville, CA

#1 Apr 29, 2010
i think code enforcement should see to it that more be done to the van hotel. it's sad when you look at how many places in willits have made a complete turn around in appearence and the van hotel is still a huge eye sore for willits!
the fearless spectator

Jackson St Forest, CA

#2 Apr 29, 2010
The "Greek" as he was called back in the day, and still by the locals, has this undefinable hatred of Willits. The City has systematically been screwed by this guy for decades.......he has promised to remodel, promised to sell, promised to work with the City for the common good. Yet the Van sits, this guy is a con, in any other city he would be a criminal....the problem is he's smarter than anyone on the City Council or anybody working in City Hall....look it up, it's been all his way for decades. This feel good fix-up is just that, he likely made money off some insurance deal, and you ain't gonna get any more out of him for a while. The problem here is you got armatures dealing with a professional. Somebody needs to make him an offer, an offer he can't refuse.......professionally that is.
WILLYTE

United States

#3 Apr 29, 2010
The Greek is only cleaning up the pigeon poop because if he didn't he'd be paying at least double 'cause the city would have fined him and done it themselves. Unfortunately the city can't force him to do anything except fix the public nuisance stuff. They can't make him sell or paint. They can't make Padula fix the lot across the street either.
the fearless spectator

Jackson St Forest, CA

#4 Apr 29, 2010
WILLYTE wrote:
The Greek is only cleaning up the pigeon poop because if he didn't he'd be paying at least double 'cause the city would have fined him and done it themselves. Unfortunately the city can't force him to do anything except fix the public nuisance stuff. They can't make him sell or paint. They can't make Padula fix the lot across the street either.
The City is a paper tiger.....when was the last time they did any meaningful abatement? This smells of a PR event to make certain City personal look good. The Skunk Motel was torn down because of the Fire Department (Jeff Smith)... and that took over a year, everyone else rode his wagon.
The Van has gone on for decades, Momma Linda use to hook out of there, early morning dog walkers stepped on hypodermic needles out of there, drugs, violence, you name it, the nuisance has gone on for years and the City is either powerless, afraid, or to limp to make the call, Hell they can't even clean up the Carlson appointments, they let that mess go on for years before they were pushed by the health department to make a move..but if'n you want a real prize look north to Quail Meadows, Tweekerville, a block off the high school, but the City claims zero responsibility....trailer world...not their problem.
If you think the Greek is scared of the City you don't know the Greek, and as far as Padula's stuff, insignificant, besides they part of the "good ole boys club", just ask around.....
Ruck

Nuevo, CA

#5 Apr 29, 2010
look Fool, you're a big talker (scared spectator) who obviously doesn't know what she's talking about. Any numnutz with even a teency bit of brain power understands that the City of Willits is constrained by State Law. Not by some idiotic idea that "the greek" is smarter. Nobody likes the fact that "the greek" has our City screwed. But as long as he stays within the law, and fixes his code violations, and pays his taxes, there's nothing the City can do.
the fearless spectator

Jackson St Forest, CA

#6 Apr 30, 2010
Hey Ruck....Ruck is that the rugby play/player or the follower type....name calling and insults just dismisses your points or in this case your propaganda. Either you work for the City or a closie does....just calm down and have another big drink. That government job ain't gone away yet.......be a hero....any numbnutz can play this game... LOL
Former Willits Teenager

Sacramento, CA

#7 May 6, 2010
Who is this "Greek" who owns the decrepit, dangerous, derelict, Van Hotel? Why hasn't he been sued by someone for his attractive nuisance? He's lucky one or more of the exploring teenagers didn't fall through the floor and break their necks; he's lucky transients or drug users haven't overdosed and/or died in there; he will be lucky if a Willits worker doesn't get some hideous lung disease from the fecal matter in there. For all we know, there's the C. Gattii fungus in the Van Hotel. We know it's in Oregon and has made its way to Washington, and is headed toward Northern California. Conditions in the Van Hotel seem ideal for the growth of a fungus like that.

It really shouldn't be called the Van Hotel anymore; it should be called the "Van Hovel" because that's really what it's become. The teenagers shouldn't have been trespassing, but sooner or later, someone is going to get hurt or go missing in the Van Hotel/Hovel. Maybe teenagers fooling around, so publicly as to be seen from the street below, are what it takes to get some attention paid to a potentially deadly situation.

This mysterious "Greek" whoever he is, should be publicly identified without the necessity of going down to the Mendocino Tax Assessor's Office to find out who does own that parcel.
reader

San Diego, CA

#8 May 7, 2010
The title of the article is "Madison Nguyen..." what's wrong here!....
its me

Milpitas, CA

#9 May 7, 2010
Hey I know we could have a bunch of kids go in there and scrape the pigeon poop up, package it and sell it to Spare Time. Then all of the "organic" growers could crow about getting locally produced pigeon guano.
John Pollard

San Diego, CA

#10 Feb 6, 2014
Maybe a little off the subject but I just found a letter written by my Dad in 1939 when he was in Willits for my uncles wedding. It is written on Hotel Willits stationary.
shawna

United States

#11 Jul 30, 2014
Mr. Pollard I am looking for pictures of inside the van hotel I lived there in 1989 I remember the lobby was so elegant white marble just gorgeous the upstairs was plush red carpet the walls were velvet wallpaper the lights that lite the hallways were dingy yellow it was like going back in time. So if anyone has any pictures I would love to see them.
John Pollard wrote:
Maybe a little off the subject but I just found a letter written by my Dad in 1939 when he was in Willits for my uncles wedding. It is written on Hotel Willits stationary.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Bragg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 24 min Slurpee 7,959
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 2 hr Flaggstaff 5,083
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 7 hr basic 200,980
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Sun theos 2,276
Ukiah police and fire log: Sunday, Sept. 21, 2014 Sun Here Is One 1
Classic cars take over Ukiah Sun Here Is One 1
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Sep 18 Pizza 16,000
•••

Fort Bragg News Video

•••
•••

Fort Bragg Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Fort Bragg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Fort Bragg News, Events & Info