The music never gets started in Silve...

The music never gets started in Silver City

There are 16 comments on the Silver City Sun-News story from Jul 4, 2010, titled The music never gets started in Silver City. In it, Silver City Sun-News reports that:

It was the concert that wasn't. The 44th Army Band of the New Mexico National Guard, which delighted and entertained so many during Silver City's Fourth of July parade on Saturday was scheduled to play on the steps of the Grant County Courthouse on Sunday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Silver City Sun-News.

History

Florence, AL

#1 Jul 5, 2010
This sounds like it has the hand of the chamber of commerce all over it. Isn't Dan Cook on the board - Great job chamber - hahahaha really pretty funny!
just concerned

Florence, AL

#2 Jul 5, 2010
Sounds pretty typical for Silver City unfortunately.
The exact reason many of us ar done trying to organize events here for the public. I have lost a lot of my own money over the past 5 years tyring to get something other than "more of the same" going , but it seems if it doesn't involve being able to drink alchohol, isn't a sports event, bike run, or car show not many will support it.
History

Florence, AL

#3 Jul 5, 2010
just concerned wrote:
Sounds pretty typical for Silver City unfortunately.
The exact reason many of us ar done trying to organize events here for the public. I have lost a lot of my own money over the past 5 years tyring to get something other than "more of the same" going , but it seems if it doesn't involve being able to drink alchohol, isn't a sports event, bike run, or car show not many will support it.
there are plently of families and people that don't want to be around alcohol - why couldn't someone greet the band? Was it announced in the paper? a couple posters around town saying free concert after the parade or something to this effect could have made a big difference. Even if someone had just greeted the band, asked them to start playing - people would have showed up to see what was going on. Hell.... people did show up. Where was the sponsor? chamber director? chamber board person????
Whatelseisnew

United States

#4 Jul 5, 2010
Maybe they should have played anyway then the people may have come back. What do you expect from this stupid township

Deputy276

“Not vengeance, punishment.”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#5 Jul 5, 2010
"Apparently the band did show up for the afternoon concert, said Dan Cook, who was instrumental in bringing them to Silver City for the Fourth of July Parade and concerts, but no one was at the courthouse to greet them in any official capacity, so they packed up and went to lunch."

Well they certainly had a wide choice of fast food joints to select from if they ate in Silver.

This is a typical Chamber of Commerce FUBAR. On Friday, when many vendors arrived to set up their popups and displays in Gough Park, there were NO Chamber Of Commerce people present to help them. Poor Kiwanis got dumped on to put up a map on their trailer and try and help guide people to where to set up their displays. There were many conflicts because the chamber had told some returning vendors to set up where they did last year. Only problem was new vendors had been assigned those locations. It's no wonder attendance at Saturday's celebration was so low. If this keeps up, NOBODY will be coming to Silver City. And nobody will be participating in the July 4th party in Gough Park.
Heck of a way to stimulate tourism and good will
:-(
Fly on the Wall

Globe, AZ

#6 Jul 5, 2010
I would have to agree with Jeannie Miller. It's so Silver.
country boy

Silver City, NM

#7 Jul 5, 2010
If this was a chamber screw up, they need to step forward and admit it. The same for the confusion in the park. This would be a great follow up story for the Sun-News.
silverkid

Florence, AL

#8 Jul 5, 2010
This is a shame. Where is the chamber these days? The chamber director is VERY low energy, not friendly, and passes down her responsibilities to others. WHAT IS SHE GETTING PAID FOR???

The chamber used to have energy - now, no! horrible.

I heard a new chamber was going to be formed and I'm all for it!

Murray Ryan - you deserve more than the poor representation you've had from Floyd Robertson ERA to the present!

Murray Ryan is the only good name at that building.
country boy

Silver City, NM

#9 Jul 5, 2010
silverkid wrote:
This is a shame. Where is the chamber these days? The chamber director is VERY low energy, not friendly, and passes down her responsibilities to others. WHAT IS SHE GETTING PAID FOR???
The chamber used to have energy - now, no! horrible.
I heard a new chamber was going to be formed and I'm all for it!
Murray Ryan - you deserve more than the poor representation you've had from Floyd Robertson ERA to the present!
Murray Ryan is the only good name at that building.
I'm curious. Are you, or have you ever been a member of the chamber? Have you ever volunteered for any chamber activities or served as a chamber director?

I would wager your answer is no to each of my questions.

Put up or shut up. It's always easy to criticize, but it's never easy to be involved in any civic endeavor that requires sweat and dedication.
silverkid

Florence, AL

#10 Jul 5, 2010
country boy wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm curious. Are you, or have you ever been a member of the chamber? Have you ever volunteered for any chamber activities or served as a chamber director?
I would wager your answer is no to each of my questions.
Put up or shut up. It's always easy to criticize, but it's never easy to be involved in any civic endeavor that requires sweat and dedication.
YOU ARE WRONG SIR.... AND I USE THAT TERM LOSELY.

I won't give my alias away... but I know more about YOU, YOU, FELON... Julie, Cindy, Linda, Lloyd,
the chamber is a joke... why don't you appoint a fake accountant - that was the chamber director before..

THE CHAMBER IS FAKE...STARTING WITH STEVE MAY, FLOYD ROBERTSON, JULIE MORALES, CINDY BETTISON, LINDA NICHOLS .... ALL PART OF THE PROBLEM IN SILVER
THE CHAMBER IS A LIE - A FAKE AND HAS ALWAYS BEEN....

COUNTRY BOY... YOU AINT MAN ENOUGH TO PONY UP AND ADMIT - YOU HAVE BEEN AS A REP IN SILVER AND A HUGE PART OF THE PROBLEM

Pat Hunt is a gem.... the rest of YOU!!!! suck!!!!!!!!!!
Two bits

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Jul 6, 2010
Deputy276 wrote:
"Apparently the band did show up for the afternoon concert, said Dan Cook, who was instrumental in bringing them to Silver City for the Fourth of July Parade and concerts, but no one was at the courthouse to greet them in any official capacity, so they packed up and went to lunch."
Well they certainly had a wide choice of fast food joints to select from if they ate in Silver.
This is a typical Chamber of Commerce FUBAR. On Friday, when many vendors arrived to set up their popups and displays in Gough Park, there were NO Chamber Of Commerce people present to help them. Poor Kiwanis got dumped on to put up a map on their trailer and try and help guide people to where to set up their displays. There were many conflicts because the chamber had told some returning vendors to set up where they did last year. Only problem was new vendors had been assigned those locations. It's no wonder attendance at Saturday's celebration was so low. If this keeps up, NOBODY will be coming to Silver City. And nobody will be participating in the July 4th party in Gough Park.
Heck of a way to stimulate tourism and good will
:-(
If it matters, Dan Cook is the President of the Chamber, Wally Lawder Vice President and other officers Cecilia Pacheco, Linda McGee and Skip Thacker.
just saying

Albuquerque, NM

#12 Jul 6, 2010
silverkid wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU ARE WRONG SIR.... AND I USE THAT TERM LOSELY.
I won't give my alias away... but I know more about YOU, YOU, FELON... Julie, Cindy, Linda, Lloyd,
the chamber is a joke... why don't you appoint a fake accountant - that was the chamber director before..
THE CHAMBER IS FAKE...STARTING WITH STEVE MAY, FLOYD ROBERTSON, JULIE MORALES, CINDY BETTISON, LINDA NICHOLS .... ALL PART OF THE PROBLEM IN SILVER
THE CHAMBER IS A LIE - A FAKE AND HAS ALWAYS BEEN....
COUNTRY BOY... YOU AINT MAN ENOUGH TO PONY UP AND ADMIT - YOU HAVE BEEN AS A REP IN SILVER AND A HUGE PART OF THE PROBLEM
Pat Hunt is a gem.... the rest of YOU!!!! suck!!!!!!!!!!
Look at the post right above mine. You list Steve May,Floyd Robertson, Julie Morales, Cindy Bettison and Linda Nichols as members of the chamber board. In all honesty, I don't think any of them are board members any longer. If you want to point fingers of blame, you had better catch up on who the board members are at this time.
BTW, who is a felon?
Ron

Sandia Park, NM

#13 Jul 6, 2010
Country Boy is the felon.
country boy

Silver City, NM

#14 Jul 6, 2010
Ron wrote:
Country Boy is the felon.
If I am the felon, I challenge any and all of you to prove it. What a bunch of crap! I don't know who you think I am, but I am damned sure no felon!

Deputy276

“Not vengeance, punishment.”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#15 Jul 7, 2010
Getting back on topic...the reason I have heard for the lack of Chamber presence on setup day on Friday in Gough Park was a lack of volunteers. That isn't really a big surprise to me. In this town there are a LOT of big talkers, but very few "doers". Lots of "idea people", but very few that are willing to go out and get their hands dirty putting those ideas into effect.

I know everyone treads on eggs for fear of being called a "racist" or bigot. But when you look at who is actually busting their butts in Silver City, the vast majority of them are WHITE. And the majority of the recipients of the work they perform are hispanic. Hispanic support for community organizations in Silver City...Kiwanis, Elks, Lions, Rotary, etc., is practically nil.
Yet hispanic children are major benefactors of scholarships and funding received from those organizations. The only organizations that hispanics seem to heavily support are veterans organizations. Hispanic membership in those organizations is HUGE. I dunno what the answer is to this situation. But hispanics are the majority in Silver City and Grant County. Seems they could take some kind of active role in helping out organizations that are helping their kids. Even if they don't join those organizations, at least pitch in to help them when the help is needed.
Opal

AOL

#16 Jul 8, 2010
Hey Deputy; Take a look at Mexico. Take a look at how people do things there. They come here because they apparently can't hardly 'do' for themselves. I'm not saying all, just a vast majority. People who are used to being complacent because "God wills it" or "Allah wills it" or "That's fate', nine times out of ten they are extremely apathetic. And before I get called a racist, this can work for any group of people, especially those who are brainwashed by any social institution. What I think happens around here is people get bored. Complacent. You want people to come out and help, they want a reward. A free toaster for being helpful.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Bayard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Their view: No clear gain in dispute over Falkl... (Mar '10) 1 hr Tony 625
News WNMU to continue recruiting DACA students despi... Sat SPAM 6
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Jun 13 Joel 72,030
News Yes, Denny's is coming Jun 11 Tiger37 1
News Armory celebrates 100 years Jun 7 my opinion 1
News Old-fashioned Fourth of July party (Jul '13) May 27 YUUUUP 4
Grant Co.---rotten corner of NM (Sep '11) May '16 CrookedHillary 57
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fort Bayard Mortgages