Summit focuses on future of Fort Baya...

Summit focuses on future of Fort Bayard Landmark

There are 1 comment on the Silver City Sun-News story from Jun 3, 2009, titled Summit focuses on future of Fort Bayard Landmark. In it, Silver City Sun-News reports that:

The future of Fort Bayard National Landmark will be discussed Monday by a panel of key state and local officials, including Secretary of Veterans Affairs John Garcia.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Silver City Sun-News.

Sally Bourne Ferrell

Union City, OK

#1 Jun 7, 2009
PLEASE consider all possibilities of saving and reusing Ft. Bayard site and buildings. During a visit there several years ago, the structures appeared to be sturdy and usable. Obviously they have provided tremendous service to America which is now being called on for more, not less, conservation of resources.
My mother, Flora Ellen Ritchie Bourne, Registered Nurse, was employed there in the 1920s. Graduate of Kellogg School of Nursing, Battle Creek, Michigan, she made an amazing drive there in an automobile from New York. She and a friend nurse made the trip on poor roads across the U.S. in 1926, a remarkable accomplishment for two young women new to the art of driving an automobile.
I believe the nurses lived in brick two-story buildings that had been fort officer housing. It is a hope to come there again with grandchildren to visit Ft. Bayard and the national cemetery, acquainting them with this important history.
As a former advisor, Oklahoma, for the National Trust for Historic Preservation, I assure and expect you aolready know, the office personnel and agency will do everything possible to help.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Bayard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Former Deputy sheriff Michael Aguirre Wife beater May 24 INFORMATION 7
Silver city sheriff Michael aguirre wife beater May 23 Jessie 3
Former deputy Michel Aguirre back in custody May 23 Silver City Daily... 1
Local Politics Do you approve of James R. Marshall as Mayor? (Mar '12) Apr '17 bewildered 5
News More streetlights installed on Bullard Street, ... Apr '17 Nice 1
News New Mexico airline service threatened if White ... Mar '17 lambert 1
News Santa Clara mayor Imelda Lopez resigns (Jul '09) Sep '16 Youwishusetobethere 4

Fort Bayard Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fort Bayard Mortgages