moving to Fort A. need info?

moving to Fort A. need info?

Posted in the Fort Atkinson Forum

missouri

Farmington, MO

#1 Jul 5, 2010
are people friendly towards southerners?
good place to raise a child?
Im an LPN hubby is a police officer
how much does the electric and water normally run per month?
just typical info is what I'm needing, PLEASE HELP!

Planning on a move next year, driving up there in April.

I live in southern Missouri and its 110 here right now and thats pathetic, we have tornadoes constantly and we live on a fault line thats active! The winters, middle of Dec. it may be 60 one day and the next day it may be 5 degrees.
In 2009 we had such a bad ice storm that the dept of transportation didnt even know what to do, unprepared! The roads get so icy and dangerous at times here.

Please someone help me! Ive hard northerners are rude especially towards ppl from the south, but Ive been reading up on the area and it seems like an awesome place.

Only problem is rent is a lot more expensive there than here. You can get a gorgeous home here for less than 500 a month!

thank you :)
missouri

Farmington, MO

#2 Jul 15, 2010
I know there has to be someone that can help me! Is it just because I'm not from the area? I hope people aren't rude up there, b/c it seems like that's where were wanting to go
Kimberlee

Bexar, AR

#3 Jul 17, 2010
I was born and raised in the Fort A. area. Rent is so much higher because property taxes are outrageously high. The people for the most part are not rude but they are not as personable as people from the south. The cost of living in general, especially utilities do run higher. Wisconsin does take care of their roads, unlike much of the south. I do think it is a good place to raise children. As I said, I grew up there and I didn't turn out too bad! LOL
missouri

Farmington, MO

#4 Jul 20, 2010
thank you very much. I see your ISP is from AR so you know how the crappy winters are here. Yeah rent in our area for an extrememly nice home wouldnt run more than 550 a month with lights about 150 a month if running air conditioner and water about 50 a month...gas about 40 a month....

what about tornadoes up there? do they happen very often? we had a tornado warning about an hour away a few days ago here and I cant handle it anymore!
Kimberlee

Bexar, AR

#5 Jul 20, 2010
You are welcome. I have lived in Wisconsin for 40+ years (about 7 in AR) and I would say the winters in AR are not "crappy" compared to Wisconsin. WI winters are ... alot of snow and cold, cold temps but rarely an ice storm. In the 40+ years I lived in Wisconsin, I experienced 2 tornadoes in the Fort A. area. One in 1967 (or so) and one in 2000. They did do some damage but they were not extreme. As anywhere in the U.S., you will have fluctuating weather and it seems in the last few years, the weather patterns have changed and tornadoes are getting more severe. For instance, this summer has been long and HOT. Temps. here in the upper 90's since May and little rain to speak of. It wasn't this bad for this long last year as I remember. I think if you google the town you want to move to, you can get the data in regard to weather, jobs, businesses ect... I'm not sure but it may be on the Chamber of Commerce's website.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Atkinson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police officers go on stage with Boys and Girls... (Jun '16) Jun '16 June 1
News Donald E. Behling, 88, Fort Atkinson (Jan '16) Jan '16 kraig205 1
News Tonight on CBS 58 News at 10 - Online penny auc... (May '13) May '13 phil 2
News Fort council advances community block grant (Feb '13) Feb '13 mary ann Steppke 1
News Activists see little-known UN plan Agenda 21 as... (Aug '12) Aug '12 american 1
News Fort group filmed for TV's 'My Ghost Story' (Jul '12) Jul '12 meme 1
News Governor Walker hits the campaign trail; Democr... (Apr '12) Apr '12 American Blueblood 7

Fort Atkinson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fort Atkinson Mortgages