(6/2010) Movie Review: Winter's Bone-...

(6/2010) Movie Review: Winter's Bone--Dark, Drugs, Drama

There are 20 comments on the Basil and Spice story from Jun 25, 2010, titled (6/2010) Movie Review: Winter's Bone--Dark, Drugs, Drama. In it, Basil and Spice reports that:

This dark and sinister 100-minute R-rated film is so real that it makes the audience feel they are watching a black and white documentary instead of a color feature.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Basil and Spice.

aok

Branson, MO

#1 Jun 26, 2010
Went to see Winter's Bone was a great movie. It's something that happens here in this area everyday and other places as well I'm sure. It was neat to see roads we drive on, houses we pass, very familiar places. How many movies can you sit through and say that? Very proud of the local people that had a role in it. Well done.It just seemed so real.
CC native

Springfield, MO

#2 Jun 27, 2010
I saw it too and I was completely embarassed for our local communities. What does the movie say to other parts of the country about peole who live in the Ozarks? That we are meth cookers and rednecks who can barely take care of ourselves. That we all go around shooting squirrels for food and beating up people who get too close to our meth operations. I was born and raised in the Ozarks (in Christian County) and I do not like the fact that the Ozarks are known as the "Meth Capital" of the U.S. I have taken in foster kids who have been taken out of drug/meth homes and the scars they are left with are nothing to be glamorized. If anything, that movie should make every decent local citizen angry because that kind of stuff does go on in our area every day.
thetruthhurts

Charleston, WV

#3 Jun 27, 2010
i havent seen the movie but it sounds pretty accurate
City Joke

United States

#4 Jun 28, 2010
That movie is an excellent and accurate description of everyday Ozarks life. It's something that needs to be brought to the public eye. The local people here aren't going to fix the problem so why not show the world? I like how CC native said "I was completely embarassed for our local communities. What does the movie say to other parts of the country about peole who live in the Ozarks? That we are meth cookers and rednecks who can barely take care of ourselves. That we all go around shooting squirrels for food and beating up people who get too close to our meth operations?" and then ended their post with, "If anything, that movie should make every decent local citizen angry because that kind of stuff does go on in our area every day." You're about as dumb as Jim Bowles.
CC native

Simpsonville, KY

#5 Jun 28, 2010
Yes you are a joke...sorry I didn't realize I was speaking to the ignorant and had to spell everything out. If you would look at the sentence which you failed to quote you would see that I was talking about kids who have been scarred by the meth/drug lifestyle. The meth/drug lifestyle, which is what the movie is all about, is what should make the decent people of this area angry. But, you seem to want to be proud that the rest of the country will think everyone who lives in the Ozarks are all a bunch of redneck meth dealers who live in run-down cabins. I personally take great offense to being portrayed in that lifestyle.
aok

Branson, MO

#6 Jun 29, 2010
Not everyone that lives in the backwoods are meth cookers. People that shoot squirrel and deer or fish sometimes rely on that because they have no job,laid-off or does'nt have a job that pays very well. There was a happy ending to the movie the girl saved her home. How many kids that age would have done that. Yes, I know kids are hurt by meth. I have family that are foster parents and we help them in the middle of the night with clothes and whatever and we see a lot of that because of meth. I'm just saying the movie was real because of the scenery in it. If you're ashamed of the Ozarks maybe you should move. Where would you go since meth is everywhere? The Ozarks have good things too, you have to make a difference in this world and help people out not to go to places like that. That's all I have to say.
CC native

United States

#7 Jul 1, 2010
Has anyone seen the movie "Foxfire Light" (or am I telling my age)? It was based on a novel by local romance author Janet Daily (who has just opened a new Inn in Hollister) that was filmed entirely on location in Branson (before the boom of the 90's). That movie showed our area in a positive light to the rest of the country and probably had some impact on the local tourism. Winter's Bone does not have those qualities.
Cap

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Sep 21, 2010
My mother's people come from just north of where this movie was shot. I think people of intelligence understand that the clan depicted in the film represents a small part of folks in the Ozarks, but those *are there*.(They are "here" too, just outside a major Indiana city, as they are acorss the country.) What I struck me about the film - in addition to its brilliance, suspense and fine performances - is how even the outsiders of the community were portrayed as 3 dimensional people, not cardbaord villains or hillbillies. It's country noir - it's about the search for a meth cooker - so of course Winter's Bone features folks who live outside the law. But the loyalty, tenacity and self-reliance of the Dolly clan is there underneath their suspicion of outsiders and their rejection of the square life. Ree herself is a tremendous heroine who embodies the best of her community - courage, tenacity and caring, especially caring for one's own, even at great sacrifice. Several of her relatives and friends, despite wanting to throw Ree off the trail, help her with money and food, even when they have little enough of their own. That generosity is what I remember about my hil country relatives, and that generosity is part of the texture of this film. Winter's Bone is not a travelog of the Ozarks, but it is a very fine film about a young woman's extraordinary journey. Be proud...
JustCause

United States

#9 Nov 9, 2010
Meth is a terrible drug, and I have seen first hand hundreds of families that have been destroyed by this evil drug. I call it devil dirt. As far as the Ozarks, there are some hillbillies down that way, real bad, I have met them on occasions. I guess the drug used to be moonshine, and now its this meth crap. But Cookers are crazy, dirt bag, low life people, who live and breathe evil.
Hannibal lector

Chicago, IL

#10 Nov 10, 2010
I agree meth users are lowlifes! And so are pill addicts,drunks&coke users! And this area has an over abundance of all of them!! Remember Jesus camp? That movie also showed what a bunch of fruit loops this area is full of! Religious drug addict,child molesting,wife beating,scumbags! Look up the sex offender registry in the area! Totally packed full of them! And that's just the ones they prosecuted! Thousands more that are in the good ol boy system that go free!! Sick and corrupt is the definition of the ozarks! Oh and let's not forget lazy!!!
the copenhagen kid

Kinsman, IL

#11 Nov 12, 2010
boy, you hill folk got nothin on the boys in the hood.
child bride meth cookin inbreads, that eat sqirrel tail

sorta like the new age moon shiners.

whee whooo.

im stayin up north with the drive by shooters i feel safer
Lector

Chicago, IL

#12 Nov 16, 2010
Obviously my comment hit to close to home! Lol, I'm finally getting out of this sick brainwAshed corrupt,Jesus cult we call the ozarks! Other than a handful of people I've met,everyone else was pure lying trash ! Good riddance ozarks! White trash capital of north America
Donna

Bellingham, WA

#13 Dec 5, 2010
I don't understand where you are coming from. At first you sound offended that the movie has portrayed Ozark people as meth cookers and rednecks, then you say that kind of stuff goes on in your area every day.

This was a very gritty movie. If this, indeed, IS what it is like to live as a poor person in Ozarks, I'm ashamed our country doesn't do more to step up and help these people. We should be ashamed of ourselves for allowing our own folk to live like citizens of a 3rd world country.
CC native wrote:
I saw it too and I was completely embarassed for our local communities. What does the movie say to other parts of the country about peole who live in the Ozarks? That we are meth cookers and rednecks who can barely take care of ourselves. That we all go around shooting squirrels for food and beating up people who get too close to our meth operations. I was born and raised in the Ozarks (in Christian County) and I do not like the fact that the Ozarks are known as the "Meth Capital" of the U.S. I have taken in foster kids who have been taken out of drug/meth homes and the scars they are left with are nothing to be glamorized. If anything, that movie should make every decent local citizen angry because that kind of stuff does go on in our area every day.
sweetness

Burlington, IA

#14 Dec 7, 2010
thats why i get mad when i see all these infomercials for other country's. Poverty is real , it's right under our noses. People do wht they have to do. Why do you drink, smoke do drugs? To escape meth/drugs is an escape from the life your not happy with. Some people are not strong enough to break the mold they are born into. You cannot judge a person for their descions. That is God's job and, WE ARE ALL GOD'S CHILDREN. Maybe some are misunderstood and mislead. Nobody's pefect.
Donna

Bellingham, WA

#15 Dec 7, 2010
You're so right. People take drugs to escape the pain and frustration in life. Unfortunately most of the time it escalates into an inescapable pattern. Sure, some people say it's a cop-out, an easy way out, they should know better, etc. Shame on them for judging others. All of use need to practice more compassion for each other.
sweetness wrote:
thats why i get mad when i see all these infomercials for other country's. Poverty is real , it's right under our noses. People do wht they have to do. Why do you drink, smoke do drugs? To escape meth/drugs is an escape from the life your not happy with. Some people are not strong enough to break the mold they are born into. You cannot judge a person for their descions. That is God's job and, WE ARE ALL GOD'S CHILDREN. Maybe some are misunderstood and mislead. Nobody's pefect.
Bubba

New York, NY

#16 Jan 6, 2011
The movie was by far the worst I've seen in the past year. The acting was pathetic, with so many dead moments, pretentious philosophical lines, and a story that had no logic to it. I've made feature films, and frankly I've seen high school plays with better production value than WB. It isn't enough to say it's accurate and then call it good. The resolution of the story was inane, non-sensical, and just fishing for heartstrings.
The Peoples Reporter

Newport, OR

#18 Jan 8, 2011
The movie was good. The story was good. The acting was very very good and the writing was also good. Re was a determined girl in a bad situation caused by her meth cook father, who made bad choices which cost him his life and nearly cost his entire family their home, had it not have been for the determination of RE to protect her poor mentally ill mom and her two little siblings from loosing their home.

It was nice to see the scenery of Rockaway Beach and the scenes of the Upper Deck and the Taney CoMo Market in the film.

The poorness, feel, mood, ambiance was definitely THE OZARKS and especially THAT part of the Ozarks...RB and Forsythe.

All one has to do to KNOW how people do stick together ("clans) in the Ozarks is read this forum. Once there you either run for your life or it becomes a part of you and it runs in your blood.

Good or bad, ugly or beautiful it IS the Ozarks and the problems that exist there exist other places. Winter's Bone may have been a fictional story, but the accuracy of the life it portayed was very accurate, as those of us who have been here for any length know and this forum portrays, just that.

I loved Winters Bone!
superfly

United States

#19 Jun 25, 2011
Big White Daddy wrote:
<quoted text>
Money for drugs but none for food? Suggest you get out your 44 mag and eat that.
you a dreamer, Suggest you get your head out of your azz.
SuZ

Edgar Springs, MO

#20 Jun 25, 2011
"The poorness, feel, mood, ambiance was definitely THE OZARKS.."

We'z a'int po we'z got the bluegrass ....
new 2

Burlington, IA

#21 Aug 26, 2012
Just watched the movie. Just can't imagine those kinds of things really go on within a "family"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Forsyth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Summerwinds Resort Branson Mo (May '13) 14 hr disgruntledresident 47
Where in Missouri should I live Fri Jtucktuck 1
Forum that provides objective information witho... (Nov '09) Dec 15 Big 45
News Drug court's success pleases circuit judge (Aug '06) Nov '17 Whoppee Doopee 26
Resident Oct '17 Just Me 5
Finally... the jig is up for Tony Williams (Feb '17) Mar '17 Judge Cuck 9
Recycling (Mar '17) Mar '17 Rudi 1

Forsyth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Forsyth Mortgages