Funeral Director fined for hustling f...

Funeral Director fined for hustling funerals

Posted in the Forrest City Forum

Southern Reader

United States

#1 Dec 21, 2009
What is going on? Someone please help me! Please!
Ms iT

United States

#2 Dec 21, 2009
According to the Arkansas Democrat Miles Kimble and Kincaid Funeral Home debased a bylaw that prohibits funeral directors from going to families after death or while death is imminent. But I feel if the families he talked to isn't complaining why is Woodhouse Funeral Home? I can't see what impairment would be done if he was fair with his tactics. You will be surprised at what the competition will do to take out someone! Just take me to the lake when I die so no one can get me!
Carma

Roy, WA

#3 Dec 21, 2009
You reap what you sow Miles.:>) Enjoy!
Web Surfer

Charleston, WV

#4 Dec 21, 2009
To Southern Reader: From what I read, some funeral homes came together and filed charges against Kincaid Funeral Services for “soliciting” for their business. They said that Miles Kimble, who works there, was approaching people to use their funeral home after someone had died, which apparently is illegal. They opened a funeral home in Helena in 2008 and another one in Forrest City in 2009 and the other funeral homes in both places complain that they have been losing business since then. I didn’t know it was illegal to pitch your funeral home to people but even if they did do that, I don’t see anything wrong with it or why such a big deal is being made out of it. Besides, if the funeral home’s that are so upset with them were honest enough to admit it, I’m sure they have approached people for business too. Stop acting like spoiled children, there's nothing wrong with competition.
Southern Reader wrote:
What is going on? Someone please help me! Please!
Web Surfer

Charleston, WV

#5 Dec 21, 2009
To Ms iT: I agree. I doubt they would be complaining if people weren't using Kincaid Funeral Home so Kincaid must be getting some business. Unless they are being pushy while people are grieving or lying about the competition to get customers (and I doubt they were because that would have been mentioned in the paper along with everything else that was said), i don't see anything wrong with asking someone for business. If that’s all they can find to complain on these people about they must be doing a good job. I heard that the people that testified against them were either employees of the funeral homes that brought the charges or friends of them, which makes me sort of suspicious about all of this anyway. The funeral home's that feel these people should be punished for asking for business are not giving the public enough credit. We can think for ourselves. If I am happy with someone's service I won't even have a desire to look elsewhere so maybe those funeral home's should point the finger at themselves for losing business and not someone else.
Ms iT wrote:
According to the Arkansas Democrat Miles Kimble and Kincaid Funeral Home debased a bylaw that prohibits funeral directors from going to families after death or while death is imminent. But I feel if the families he talked to isn't complaining why is Woodhouse Funeral Home? I can't see what impairment would be done if he was fair with his tactics. You will be surprised at what the competition will do to take out someone! Just take me to the lake when I die so no one can get me!
Dead Man

United States

#6 Dec 21, 2009
Everyone who doesn't see anything wrong with what Kincaid Funeral Home did are refusing to look at the most important thing. It is ILLEGAL. It is against the law. Neither your opinion or anyone else's matters. The law wins in court every single time.
Not Casting Stones

Branson, MO

#7 Dec 21, 2009
Dead Man, I think the people on here have acknowledged that soliciting is illegal, I think they’re saying that maybe it shouldn’t be. It’s definitely wrong to break the law but, first of all, why is everyone so quick to believe that they must be guilty of what they were accused? Sure, they were found guilty in court but, believe it or not, it is possible for a person to be found guilty based on the testimony of other people of something they didn’t do. Just ask the man that was just released from jail after serving over 30 years for a rape he didn’t commit. And people’s opinions do count after the fact. That’s how slavery got abolished and many people now have the time to blog and pass judgment on others today.
Dead Man wrote:
Everyone who doesn't see anything wrong with what Kincaid Funeral Home did are refusing to look at the most important thing. It is ILLEGAL. It is against the law. Neither your opinion or anyone else's matters. The law wins in court every single time.

United States

#8 Dec 22, 2009
I do believe that the "spirit of the law" is that it was made because of the fact normal people are very upset and hearts are broken when a family member passes away. The lawmakers, I am sure, wrote this law to keep people protected from harassing phone calls and visits from funeral directors or their agents during such trying times. It is hard enough to make good, sound decisions while experiencing such grief. Could you imagine having 20 funeral homes contact you in the following 24 hours after your child died? I think not. If they did, it would be obvious there was a serious lack of compassion and respect on their behalf. Besides, if they haul my dead body to funeral home A, I don't want to be taken to funeral home B two days later because B made the better deal. On the other hand, if you didn't give a damn about the deceased, you wouldn't care if they worried the heck out of you just as long as you found the best deal out there. Face it, some things are just not (or were not) considered proper in society.
Not Casting Stones

United States

#9 Dec 22, 2009
Good points, guest. I don't think families should have to deal with soliciters during their loss either. Perhaps the laws should be adjusted so that the family, not another funeral home, should have to be the one to prosecute for that kind of harassment to avoid claims being made out of resentment.
Funeral Guy

Fisher, AR

#10 Dec 22, 2009
I am a funeral director that is licensed by this state. The state board has always said that this behavior is wrong. The board creates a "gray area" in what is really considered "solicitation."

I do know that Effie Clay owns one of the funerals homes in the town. I also know that she was up for re-appointment to the board, and was not appointed.

There are many different situations that could arise. I think it is inherently wrong that a funeral director approach someone after death offering something. However, in small towns,(which I live in) everyone knows you. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that someone ask me how my certain funeral home does something. I didn't solicit that, I simply answered a question. Is this solicitation?

Don't get me wrong: Taking advantage of a grieving family is wrong on so many levels. However, the board has not explicitly defined what "soliciting" is.

I do believe in watching the story that Ms. Woodhouse said some things that would make her less credible. It seemed to boild down to the fact that she lost funerals...not really how people were treated.

Someone mentioned that the public should be able to make complaints. Please rest assured that you are welcome to. If you feel you have been wronged by a funeral home or director, please contact the Arkansas State Board of Embalmers and Funeral Directors, and they will walk you through the steps you need to take.

This is just my view on the matter. I am not taking sides. If, indeed, the board's belief that the young man did wrong, I think it should be more severe than what he got. The profession has a reputation to keep. I don't think he should be able to even work in funeral service, whether it is as a funeral director or a lawn cutter.
Dead Man

United States

#11 Dec 29, 2009
Funeral Guy wrote:
I am a funeral director that is licensed by this state. The state board has always said that this behavior is wrong. The board creates a "gray area" in what is really considered "solicitation."
I do know that Effie Clay owns one of the funerals homes in the town. I also know that she was up for re-appointment to the board, and was not appointed.
There are many different situations that could arise. I think it is inherently wrong that a funeral director approach someone after death offering something. However, in small towns,(which I live in) everyone knows you. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that someone ask me how my certain funeral home does something. I didn't solicit that, I simply answered a question. Is this solicitation?
Don't get me wrong: Taking advantage of a grieving family is wrong on so many levels. However, the board has not explicitly defined what "soliciting" is.
I do believe in watching the story that Ms. Woodhouse said some things that would make her less credible. It seemed to boild down to the fact that she lost funerals...not really how people were treated.
Someone mentioned that the public should be able to make complaints. Please rest assured that you are welcome to. If you feel you have been wronged by a funeral home or director, please contact the Arkansas State Board of Embalmers and Funeral Directors, and they will walk you through the steps you need to take.
This is just my view on the matter. I am not taking sides. If, indeed, the board's belief that the young man did wrong, I think it should be more severe than what he got. The profession has a reputation to keep. I don't think he should be able to even work in funeral service, whether it is as a funeral director or a lawn cutter.
I beg to differ. This is only a gray area to you because you chose to make it one. Solicitation has been part of the law forever. No soliciting here or there. Everyone seems to understand the meaning of the word "solicitation" in that manner. It means the same in the manner regarding funeral services. If this does not help you consulting a dictionary is an option perhaps you should explore. You are only looking for an excuse to justify wrong doing.
Bubba

Marion, IA

#12 Jan 3, 2010
Does anyone out there know how to anonymously report a funeral director who steals gold and silver teeth from the bodies?
BluUnda Taka 78

Dallas, TX

#13 Jan 6, 2010
Don't tell me they snatching the gold and SILVER! Well they paying for the silver and gold at these stores now! What won't these folks do?
RounNBout

Williamsburg, VA

#14 Jan 11, 2010
Imagine the unthinkable. A family member was tragically taken from you. You are in your darkest hour, distraught, upset, vulnerable, grieving the loss of a loved one. While at the funeral home, taking care of intimate details of the funeral, someone callously approaches you with a contract for service. It goes without saying that this is neither the time, nor the place and you are not in the right frame of mind to evaluate which funeral home is best for you. Funeral directors can employ an array of people to do their dirty work and you have to be on the lookout. Illegal solicitation can occur as soon as right after a love one expires. Sometimes police officers, paramedics or coroners are more than happy to try to persuade you on which funeral home to contact and may offer you something in exchange for a signature. Ask yourself this ...Where you approached by someone at your home or by phone who recommended the services of a funeral home. Did I freely choose the funeral home without the harassment of another individual? Did the funeral home bribe you with gifts or "free" items for your loved one? Were you required to sign papers that were not fully explained to me? If so, you may be entitled to punish the funeral home if you have been victimized by an illegal solicitor like that of Mile Kimbel. Be careful ... A funeral director who is willing to illegally solicit you may be the funeral director that steals your money. Stay informed. Protect yourself, protect your family and don’t be victimized twice.
Evangelist V

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#15 Jun 30, 2013
I worked for a funeral home the director told me that on employees could solicit take a family but the director could not do so a long time after I found out that he was lying he did it to get business 4
Evangelist V

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#16 Jun 30, 2013
I worked for Timothy E kitchens funeral home in the city of Riviera Beach Florida I work for Mr kitchens almost 2 years he told the staff during staff meetings that he could not go out to a family when they lost their love ones but he said that the employees So I worked hard passed cards out went out to shootings crime area and more later down the line I was approach by the mayor of this town at least three times he said that this was illegal when I confronted Mr kitchens he said that it was okay I contacted the state that read chapters and said it was worng.So I was used to bring him in bussiness In some cases he sent me out on the person was not dead and it caused problems with families Well I quit all the best All the best Timothy E kitchens funeral home
Evangelist V

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#17 Jun 30, 2013
Mr.kitchens was not gettin much bussiness at the time he.hired me So I didnt mind working hard to bring up his.bussiness I never even thought of it as solicitation.But he knew Timothy E kitchens would offer a staff member 150.00 to bring a body in I would go out all hrs of the night and anytime of the day crime area when he heard of a shootings he would call you asking you to right out to find out who the family was and offer them our services Not only would he offer employees 150.00 he would offer anyone he came in contact with his cards to bring in bussiness Maybe famlies didnt report him Timothy E kitchens because they didnt know that this was illegal Timothy E kitchens funeral home in Riviera,Beach fla , 2703 Broadway ave R.B 33404 I have found to be illegal in many ways but God will Deal with.Timothy E kitchens
It is what it is

United States

#18 Jul 2, 2013
If that's the case their not the only ones doing it. They can't be mad at miles cause he doing his job a little better than them!
It is what it is

United States

#19 Jul 2, 2013
You know what after I read all of the post I understand where you all are coming from. Cause I know people that will show up at the crime scene and ask the family what going on with the person that has just been hurt smh!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Forrest City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
closet " meth " user 1 hr My sisters keeper 5
Angela Wade 3 hr Imguest3 7
How stupid is the PD 12 hr Truth 6
First Judicial Drug Taskforce Jul 25 Curios 30
News Fired Arkansas Cop Sues City for $2.5M (Jan '16) Jul 25 Chat 7
Fire Sub Station Jul 24 Da truth 4
Review: Beauty Gallery (Apr '13) Jul 22 Browneyes 6

Forrest City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance