More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 Full story: news.yahoo.com 10,149

BEEBE, Ark. Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area. Full Story

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#10230 Nov 6, 2013
Our birds have natural defenses against native predators.

They have none against hidden non-native stalking cats that are ready to pounce in the blink of an eye.

SE Michigan

#10231 Nov 6, 2013
OMG! Now THIS is a cool video! Catbirds are one of the most abundant birds in my neighborhood in spring and summer. It IS sweet listening to them sing early in the morning and in the evening all summer long. They usually build their nest in the thick brush along my property line.

SE Michigan

#10234 Nov 6, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Cats were here before you. I see thousands of birds daily, a few eaten by cats won't be missed..
Why does this response from you not surprise me? I see thousands of birds daily too. It's not those thousands that we see daily that are in danger. It's the birds you DON'T see that we need to worry about. You know...those "other" species. The ones us bird watchers are trying to save by warning people about their declines. How many Lazuli Buntings and Western Tanagers do you see daily? Thousands? I didn't think so.

Did you read the comments on the video with the snake and the catbird. One guy said he never seen a Catbird before. Really? Duh! Most people don't see birds that they aren't looking for. That's why you all need us bird watchers. We KNOW what birds are out there. We know what birds are in trouble. We know what's causing the declines. We are here to educate the rest of the population before it's too late.

And you cannot compare a healthy ecosystem involving native predator/prey relationships like that of the coyote and deer with cats and birds. Cats are NON-NATIVE. They were never found historically on this continent until humans brought them here and released them into the wild where they don't belong. Native birds have no defenses against them. That changes the whole ball game. We created a HUGE problem and we need to fix it as much as humanly possible. To let cats breed and continue to annihilate our native and already declining bird populations when we know it's happening is totally irresponsible!

SE Michigan

#10235 Nov 6, 2013

SE Michigan

#10238 Nov 6, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>So bird watching and preservation where you are at is like me killing coyotes to take care of the deer where I am at? Is that what you are saying?
In one post you show concern for deer; in the next you talk about taking out three of them. Just like a lib to spin things around when it suits your needs.

As a hunter, you should understand the need to thin out populations to keep them healthy, as well as the ecosystem of which they are a part. Deer eat LOTS of vegetation...low vegetation. That vegetation that is needed by our declining bird species in order to nest, and find shelter and food. Coyotes help in reducing the deer herd, which is a benefit to nesting birds, as well as the deer themselves.

In my analysis, your only beef with coyotes is competition. They shouldn't kill deer, but you should and they make it harder for you to find them by thinning out the herd. Am I correct?

SE Michigan

#10239 Nov 6, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>How in the hell do you know cats were not here? This planet had one large land mass on it at one time so I would think everything was native. Just admit that you are a hypocrite when it comes to birds and deer. We have 3 turkey and 3 deer tags to fill next week and not only will we fill them all but we will kill as many coyotes as possible in 8 days!
"How in the hell do you know cats were not here?"
Research and historical records. I read a lot by people who have studied this stuff. I read a lot about birds. I read a lot about wildlife in general. I am a nature photographer. My specialty, and my favorite subject to photograph, is birds. I know my subjects well. I know what's going on in the bird world and right now it's not good. The "thousands" of birds you see daily are not the birds I'm concerned about. They are most likely House Sparrows and European Starlings- also non-natives that, like cats, thrive around humans.

"This planet had one large land mass on it at one time"
Your area used to be covered with water too. That doesn't mean it would be wise to introduce dolphins to your yard, now does it?

"Just admit that you are a hypocrite when it comes to birds and deer."
Sorry, Dear, but I think you just don't understand the concept of "native" vs. "non-native." Maybe you'd like me to bring a few thousand Burmese Pythons to the Lincoln National Forest?

"We have 3 turkey and 3 deer tags to fill next week"
What time is dinner? I think we could have an interesting Thanksgiving dinner conversation!

"we will kill as many coyotes as possible in 8 days"
More disruption to the coyote family structure. You only help them breed prolifically by creating a situation where they all begin to breed, instead of just the alphas. How's this indiscriminate killing of them working out for your state? Are they thinned out yet?
fyr

Cabot, AR

#10242 Nov 7, 2013
More birds
birds

Cabot, AR

#10243 Nov 7, 2013
Leave them alone
curmudgeon

Ash Flat, AR

#10244 Nov 7, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Cats were here before you. I see thousands of birds daily, a few eaten by cats won't be missed..
Actually the common housecat is not native to north America. They are devastating to ground nesting birds like quail & turkey. they also are very good at destroying baby rabbits. They don't do a very good job on rats or mice. One owl will kill more rats and mice in one year than a cat will in its lifetime. I kill every varmit I can but killing a feral cat really makes my day! If someone wants a cat they should keep it indoors.

SE Michigan

#10245 Nov 7, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Yes you are correct, you liberals are never wrong. Just ask yourself! I am surrounded by over a MILLION acres of National forest. The ungulate population is not hurting any birds. Birds crap all over the place making everything all nasty, they are in essence flying rats filled with disease. Some land in sewage pits or polluted rivers and then spread that nastiness everywhere they go. My family will eat the deer and turkey I kill next week. We will also have deer and turkey for generations to come because of the coyotes we will be killing next week. We have plenty of birds here in the United States, you should really try and visit our country one day..
"I am surrounded by over a MILLION acres of National forest. The ungulate population is not hurting any birds."
Likewise, the coyote population is not hurting any deer.

Do you find it ironic that as a deer hunter and someone who lives there and has experience in the field, you see changes to deer populations?
Likewise, I know about and see changes in bird populations, not only here, but across the country. Even where you live.

"Birds crap all over the place making everything all nasty"

How much of that crap is from Lucy's Warblers? Varied Buntings? Chances are you've never seen either of those species, even though there is a million acres of National Forest surrounding you. Why would you have never seen those birds if they are crapping all over the place? Guess maybe native birds ARE rapidly declining after all, eh? Are you content to have 2 million starlings and only two pair of warblers, which are in danger of being killed by your cats if they show up at your bird bath? Just as long as you can say "There are a lot of birds," declining native species don't matter?

"they are in essence flying rats filled with disease."
ALL living things CAN carry diseases. So what? You have more to fear from human-contracted diseases.

"Some land in sewage pits or polluted rivers and then spread that nastiness everywhere they go."
I have NEVER, EVER, NEVER seen ANY warbler, tanager, bunting, thrush, oriole, flycatcher or grosbeak in a sewage pit or floating in a polluted river. If you have, please do send me video of it.

BTW, your cats will likely never reduce the populations of those so-called "nasty" birds you speak of in the sewage pits. They will only kill the small beautiful songbirds- you know- the ones that are declining bigtime already like the aforementioned warbler and bunting.

"My family will eat the deer and turkey I kill next week."
So there IS still deer in that area. Nice to know.

"We have plenty of birds here in the United States, you should really try and visit our country one day"

Would you PLEASE stop trying to dispute everything I say with your own set of falsehoods that you pull out of thin air! You are TOTALLY CLUELESS as to the state of our NATIVE neotropical migratory bird populations! TOTALLY!! 70-82% declines in some thrushes, warblers, cuckoos, etc...is very scary AND inexcusable.

Instead of being so hell-bent on just killing deer and turkeys that are easy to see because they're big, take the time to learn about that which you can't see without some serious "hunting" of a different kind. You'll learn a lot and you'll quit saying we have a lot of birds.

SE Michigan

#10246 Nov 7, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Yes you are correct, you liberals are never wrong. Just ask yourself! I am surrounded by over a MILLION acres of National forest. The ungulate population is not hurting any birds. Birds crap all over the place making everything all nasty, they are in essence flying rats filled with disease. Some land in sewage pits or polluted rivers and then spread that nastiness everywhere they go. My family will eat the deer and turkey I kill next week. We will also have deer and turkey for generations to come because of the coyotes we will be killing next week. We have plenty of birds here in the United States, you should really try and visit our country one day..
"The ungulate population is not hurting any birds."
Really, then explain this study. Where do the low vegetation nesting birds nest when their habitat has been eaten?
http://michigansaf.org/Tours/Deer2005/20-LeBo...

SE Michigan

#10247 Nov 7, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Actually the common housecat is not native to north America. They are devastating to ground nesting birds like quail & turkey. they also are very good at destroying baby rabbits. They don't do a very good job on rats or mice. One owl will kill more rats and mice in one year than a cat will in its lifetime. I kill every varmit I can but killing a feral cat really makes my day! If someone wants a cat they should keep it indoors.
You are right on with this post! I don't hate cats. I love all animals. But when it comes to birds or cats, birds get my vote any day. Cats are too good at what they do, and especially well-fed cats are extremely proficient hunters and stalk and kill even if not hungry.
curmudgeon

Ash Flat, AR

#10252 Nov 9, 2013
today is the first day of modern gun deer season. I harvested a young yearling doe within 300 ft of my house early this morning. Yum Yum will be very tender good eating. The bag limit is four but must contain one mature buck. So Ill try to only harvest three. I don't care to chew on tough rank meat from a rutting buck.
Test

Rison, AR

#10253 Nov 9, 2013
Test 123 Test Test Out.
unknown

Camden, AR

#10254 Nov 9, 2013
im confused

SE Michigan

#10256 Nov 9, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
"Do you find it ironic that as a deer hunter and someone who lives there and has experience in the field, you see changes to deer populations?"
I see an increase in all big game populations as the coyote and mountain lion populations decrease.
"Are you content to have 2 million starlings and only two pair of warblers, which are in danger of being killed by your cats if they show up at your bird bath? Just as long as you can say"
Things come and go everyday. They have since this planet has existed. Did you know new species are being discovered on this planet daily?
"I have NEVER, EVER, NEVER seen ANY warbler, tanager, bunting, thrush, oriole, flycatcher or grosbeak in a sewage pit or floating in a polluted river. If you have, please do send me video of it."
Come see for yourself.
"BTW, your cats will likely never reduce the populations of those so-called "nasty" birds you speak of in the sewage pits. They will only kill the small beautiful songbirds- you know- the ones that are declining bigtime already like the aforementioned warbler and bunting."
Then why are you so worried about cats? Those cats should make those weaker birds stronger.
"So there IS still deer in that area. Nice to know."
There is still deer here because me and my family and many, many like minded people kill every coyote we see. I took two yesterday.
"Would you PLEASE stop trying to dispute everything I say with your own set of falsehoods that you pull out of thin air! You are TOTALLY CLUELESS as to the state of our NATIVE neotropical migratory bird populations! TOTALLY!! 70-82% declines in some thrushes, warblers, cuckoos, etc...is very scary AND inexcusable."
Just like you are to the state of DEER in NEW MEXICO!
"Instead of being so hell-bent on just killing deer and turkeys that are easy to see because they're big, take the time to learn about that which you can't see without some serious "hunting" of a different kind. You'll learn a lot and you'll quit saying we have a lot of birds."
I can kill little birds also if I choose. GUARANTEED! But I will leave them for my new cats to handle!
"Things come and go everyday. They have since this planet has existed. Did you know new species are being discovered on this planet daily?"
This mentality is totally ignorant. I am NOT accepting to the fact that humans do so many stupid things that could contribute, or actually cause, extinctions of species that should be abundant.
It's not enough that we kill birds with our vehicles and large plate glass windows on our homes and businesses, spray deadly pesticides, build large skyscrapers, cell towers and wind turbines that take out massive numbers of native migratory birds, destroy much needed nesting habitat, etc... you think that introducing alien predators like cats into our natural areas is okay.

'Why do I get the impression that you would be contrary to ANY thing I say?
That's what little boys do when they have a crush on a girl. Is that what's going on here?

SE Michigan

#10257 Nov 9, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
"Do you find it ironic that as a deer hunter and someone who lives there and has experience in the field, you see changes to deer populations?"
I see an increase in all big game populations as the coyote and mountain lion populations decrease.
"Are you content to have 2 million starlings and only two pair of warblers, which are in danger of being killed by your cats if they show up at your bird bath? Just as long as you can say"
Things come and go everyday. They have since this planet has existed. Did you know new species are being discovered on this planet daily?
"I have NEVER, EVER, NEVER seen ANY warbler, tanager, bunting, thrush, oriole, flycatcher or grosbeak in a sewage pit or floating in a polluted river. If you have, please do send me video of it."
Come see for yourself.
"BTW, your cats will likely never reduce the populations of those so-called "nasty" birds you speak of in the sewage pits. They will only kill the small beautiful songbirds- you know- the ones that are declining bigtime already like the aforementioned warbler and bunting."
Then why are you so worried about cats? Those cats should make those weaker birds stronger.
"So there IS still deer in that area. Nice to know."
There is still deer here because me and my family and many, many like minded people kill every coyote we see. I took two yesterday.
"Would you PLEASE stop trying to dispute everything I say with your own set of falsehoods that you pull out of thin air! You are TOTALLY CLUELESS as to the state of our NATIVE neotropical migratory bird populations! TOTALLY!! 70-82% declines in some thrushes, warblers, cuckoos, etc...is very scary AND inexcusable."
Just like you are to the state of DEER in NEW MEXICO!
"Instead of being so hell-bent on just killing deer and turkeys that are easy to see because they're big, take the time to learn about that which you can't see without some serious "hunting" of a different kind. You'll learn a lot and you'll quit saying we have a lot of birds."
I can kill little birds also if I choose. GUARANTEED! But I will leave them for my new cats to handle!
"Then why are you so worried about cats? Those cats should make those weaker birds stronger."
If cats were the ONLY problem, it wouldn't be as much of a problem. More native neotropical migrants are dying than are able to reproduce because of hazards we created. See previous post.

SE Michigan

#10258 Nov 9, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>God gave them wings. They can fly higher to nest. We have lot's of mesquite and buck brush and the like here in the forest and desert that deer do not eat. Those birds could nest there easy. Next question...
"They can fly higher to nest."
Seriously?? Do you know what a "niche" is?

SE Michigan

#10259 Nov 9, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>You are right on with this post! I don't hate coyotes. I love all animals. But when it comes to deer or coyotes, deer get my vote any day. Coyotes are too good at what they do, and especially well-fed coyotes are extremely proficient hunters and stalk and kill even if not hungry.
Despite all that, coyote and deer have thrived together for eons.
In places where cats have been introduced by dumb humans, many native bird species have quickly gone extinct.

SE Michigan

#10260 Nov 9, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
today is the first day of modern gun deer season. I harvested a young yearling doe within 300 ft of my house early this morning. Yum Yum will be very tender good eating. The bag limit is four but must contain one mature buck. So Ill try to only harvest three. I don't care to chew on tough rank meat from a rutting buck.
"Modern gun?" Does that mean you cannot use an older model?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Forrest City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
FC superintendents office 25 min ASP 1456 22
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 53 min BARNEYII 30,416
McCain 10 hr Jake 1
Mitchell Perdew 10 hr Jake 1
Kimberly walls? 10 hr LightsWentOutInGe... 10
snitch snitch 12 hr Yeah 3
THE CITY,Mayor or who ever 12 hr Yeah 4
Forrest City Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web