EACC: Lack of Minority employees in h...
Try

West Memphis, AR

#21 Mar 10, 2013
freethinker wrote:
Brad, I see where you are coming from, but clearly you can look at this forum and see that you guys have some serious race issues around here.It does seem like some of the white people make awful assumptions about the blacks in this area. I don't know if that is based on your own experiences or things that were passed down to you. I believe someone stated earlier that it may not necesarily have anything to do with race as much as it has to do with nepotism, or favortism,etc.
I can understand how the blacks feel. A few years ago, my Director hired his friend's son after my manager resigned. This dude had no experience and was a recent college graduate. I understood wanting to help out a friend, but seriously why would you overlook a loyal hardworking employee over the unknown?. Thats not really good business sense. When it became obvious that i would be doing the work while he received the credit, I left. I wasn't about to help this guy move up on my hardwork. i just know that it really did hurt me to be in that position. it just seems as though race should not matter, but experience and education should at a college.
You are not a very "free thinker". You are quick to acknowledge your perceived short comings of the white race, but not the black race. There is enough to go around.

“NSA”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#22 Mar 10, 2013
freethinker wrote:
Brad, I see where you are coming from, but clearly you can look at this forum and see that you guys have some serious race issues around here.It does seem like some of the white people make awful assumptions about the blacks in this area. I don't know if that is based on your own experiences or things that were passed down to you. I believe someone stated earlier that it may not necesarily have anything to do with race as much as it has to do with nepotism, or favortism,etc.

I can understand how the blacks feel. A few years ago, my Director hired his friend's son after my manager resigned. This dude had no experience and was a recent college graduate. I understood wanting to help out a friend, but seriously why would you overlook a loyal hardworking employee over the unknown?. Thats not really good business sense. When it became obvious that i would be doing the work while he received the credit, I left. I wasn't about to help this guy move up on my hardwork. i just know that it really did hurt me to be in that position. it just seems as though race should not matter, but experience and education should at a college.
What do you mean by "you guys"? Now if I was black I'd pull the race card on that little remark. Lol

Anyways, I don't think you should have quit, as a company man I do what is best for my company. Regardless of bad decisions they may make to me. I'll voice my opinion on it, but at the end if the day I support the people that fund my way of living. In time all bad choices made will surface. If I was in your situation I would just made sure any thing I had to do for him that pertained to his work, would have been emailed to him and CC or BC to your director. When asked something verbally, just follow up with an email, like for example. Just as a follow up on so and so that you inquired about earlier, here is a detailed explanation of the information so you will have material to reflect back on in the future.
Doing that will show your Director, you know what your doing as well as a company first mentality. A good team player. And it will also show what all he lacks and you will have written documentation of everything,)
I'm a firm believer in documentation on everything within the office.
former FC native

United States

#23 Mar 12, 2013
freethinker wrote:
Thanks for understanding the real situation here. Education and experience should be important at a college. People should not be hired and be paid high salaries with no experience and others do the work. Nepotism, racism, favoritism, etc. Definitely not good business sense. Blacks are kept in the background, except for a couple of TOKENS!!! Terrible assumptions are being made about Blacks that are not true. Bad people exist in every race. When someone is educated and has experience, all other factors should be left out. But people are being overlooked, not even given an opportunity to interview, because they are not a part of a particular group.
former FC native

United States

#24 Mar 12, 2013
Some people don't care about injustice until it affects them or members of their family.
Yea-guestrite

United States

#25 Mar 12, 2013
former FC native wrote:
Some people don't care about injustice until it affects them or members of their family.
I've been monitoring this thread and I think you hit the nail on the head. These folks are in denial. I am black and race has nothing to do with my hiring practices. If I have to bring a new person in, I would definitely not put them over my experienced, educated staff. If my staff did have an "attitude"(sublimina l), they would have been made aware of that attitude and why their carets are limited. It doesn't seem smart to bring in a. Inexperienced person in over a seasoned worker. I don't care what relationship we have. I can't jeopardize my business for my friend and a friend wouldn't expect it. My friend, associate woukd have to bring something to the table besides friendship. If I hired every friend, family, homie who asked me for a job, I wouldn't have one. Some people are blinded or just refuse to open their minds to anything race related.

United States

#26 Mar 13, 2013
guest wrote:
JH. PL. TM. ST. SW. TB. BB. need I go on.
apply

Apply at Department of human services if your black because that's all that's qualified to work there.
what

Lockhart, TX

#27 Mar 13, 2013
What about all of the blacks that pick their friends over qualified people else where. I guess that's not an issue.
Itstrue

Forrest City, AR

#28 Mar 13, 2013
what wrote:
What about all of the blacks that pick their friends over qualified people else where. I guess that's not an issue.
Name company names. Grace doesn't just pick whites, but certain whites. He looks over whites that are not in his circle. It's funny to watch the wannabe whites try and fit in, they are unsuccessful
Disgusted

United States

#29 Mar 14, 2013
Apparently "What" does not get out much. I would like to know just how many times u have seen this happen. Get real!

"Itstrue" you r so right. Just wannabes making fools of themselves and being used. Too stupid to realize that they r nothng more.
Sadly

United States

#30 Apr 4, 2013
I've tried to ignore this since I was directed to this site, but yeah pretty accurate.

There is NOTHING worse than having the qualifications, experience, knowledge and is actively performing the duties, and not even be considered for promotions based on something uncontrollable such as race. I think often times some whites allow stereotypes and negative blacks to blanket the entire race. It REALLY hurts... Especially when you were raised to not see color. I'm starting to see the world totally different from how I was raised.
Tired of dumb asses

Wynne, AR

#31 Feb 16, 2017
b_rad_ wrote:
Well this isn't no shock, black people thinking they didn't get something just because they're black.

Is there any race that pulls the race card more than blacks do? I don't think so. If you say the word monkey around certain black people, even if your at a zoo when you say it, they just know you meant it racist and not really taking about the primate exhibit you're at.
Pathetic! Time for all races to acknowledge that sometimes your race has nothing to do with your short comings.
Most people get hired through people they know, that's a fact. If you happen to be black and don't get hired and a white person does, it not automatically race related. But I know some people are use to or trained to make excuses for themselves.

And there is more to qualifications than a degree. There is other things that get looked at. Work history, attendance, appearance, attitude, speech, social skills, etc..

And professionals that are in a position to hire read stuff like this might be like wow, so if I hire them and they happen to not get the best desk, the raise they expected or any other thing, are they going to be pulling the race card with me? Nobody wants to have to deal with office drama. And I wouldn't hire anyone that seems proned to office drama, regardless of race or degrees.
People judge people upon contact, that's just human nature. If you have a negative presence about you, it will be picked up and used as part of considering a person for a position.
Obviously you have never been Black. You would not begin to understand. This subtle racism will never be an issue for you. Yes, many still judge based on skin color only!!!

North Little Rock, AR

#32 Feb 21, 2017
You do realize whites are the minority here? Open up your eyes.
Yes

Millington, TN

#33 Mar 1, 2017
Tired of dumb asses wrote:
<quoted text>

Obviously you have never been Black. You would not begin to understand. This subtle racism will never be an issue for you. Yes, many still judge based on skin color only!!!
But unfortunately blacks do not have the power. Mainly because we patronize white businesses over each other's. This of course does not apply to all blacks but we would rather pull one another down and help a known racist than support someone in fear of them having something we do not.

Dr grace just proved how corrupt he and politicians are with the merger and Steve hollowell situation. Blacks and whites are so busy fighting each other and not realize that it's the elite rich folk who are making progress. Someone will gain from the merger but it's not the middle working class.

Since EACC has such low enrollment and only a 27% graduation rate, why hasn't it been taken over like mid south. Why is there not an ASU representative on campus anymore.
Grace has been so busy climbing the ladder of success with his cronies until he failed to reach out to the community the people who coukd actually make or break the college. The Rick cronies or even the well to do people send their children to universities. Yet you over look regular white and blacks in the community.

Little Rock, AR

#34 Mar 2, 2017
Yes wrote:
<quoted text>

But unfortunately blacks do not have the power. Mainly because we patronize white businesses over each other's. This of course does not apply to all blacks but we would rather pull one another down and help a known racist than support someone in fear of them having something we do not.

Dr grace just proved how corrupt he and politicians are with the merger and Steve hollowell situation. Blacks and whites are so busy fighting each other and not realize that it's the elite rich folk who are making progress. Someone will gain from the merger but it's not the middle working class.

Since EACC has such low enrollment and only a 27% graduation rate, why hasn't it been taken over like mid south. Why is there not an ASU representative on campus anymore.
Grace has been so busy climbing the ladder of success with his cronies until he failed to reach out to the community the people who coukd actually make or break the college. The Rick cronies or even the well to do people send their children to universities. Yet you over look regular white and blacks in the community.
Why don't you tell us why Dr Grace would want this merger?

His responsibilities will grow enormously, and he will not be paid any more for the huge increase in work. You act as if he will somehow benefit personally from this merger. He will not. He is simply doing his job, and the proper thing to do, financially, is to merge the two campuses. In doing what is best for the state and the taxpayers, he is in fact, making his own job harder.

Your 27% graduation rate is not a legitimate figure.

That number is based on the number of students who graduate within the standard time. If a student enrolls in a 2 year program, and takes 5 semesters to finish, that person does not "graduate".

I attended EACC back in the 90's for a semester, before going to the U of A where I acquired two BSBAs. I would be one of the 77% of students at EACC who "did not graduate".

Throw into that equation the students who enroll, attend class just long enough to get their Pell Grant, and then aren't seen again till the next semester, when they do the same thing again. Want to tell me how Dr Grace is responsible for those students dragging down the graduation rate?

I have long been a proponent of the value of learning a trade vs a traditional degree from a 4 year college. The cost of 4 year schools now has gotten way out of hand, and with a shortage of people in the skilled trades, the pay from a position in the skilled trades is quickly surpassing the pay that the average college graduate can expect.

Could I go back and do it again I would have learned a trade vs a business degree. It would have been much easier to start my own business, and I would have made just as much money, if not more, and wouldn't have accumulated tens of thousands of dollars in student debt.

As far as the merger is concerned, there are two campuses right next door to one another, with two administrations. The successful Vo-Tech programs WILL CONTINUE and will use the same instructors. The merger will eliminate administration, and programs that are not drawing in students.

Do we as taxpayers not wish to see govt waste reined in? Why fund two campus administrations at campuses that are so close together that physically they appear to be one campus? Why not look at programs that are not drawing students, are not cost effective, and eliminate those programs? And yes, as a taxpayer, if EACC has classes that are not drawing students, I would expect the same to happen there.

Right now we are paying salaries to two people when one could do the job. That is waste, and is typical of government and especially education. What they are doing makes sense financially. The merged campus will keep successful programs, and cut waste and redundancy.

It makes sense.
Yeah

Memphis, TN

#35 Mar 2, 2017
Thank you for your reply Guest. I am an EACC graduate as well and I completed my BUsiness degree at ASU. I attended before dr grace came on board ( I think). I received a great education from EACC. Unfortunately the demographics have changed. I will not say what I do because it would be too telling of who I am. In my profession, I have learned that the residents in this area would better benefit from CRTI. EACC staff just do not offer the support and relationship with students that CRTI does as a whole.
You stated that many people in the area utilize EACC only for the pell money and then they drop out. The ones who are committed to their education will not attend here. Dr grace's friends offspring will not attend there. People like us will have successful kids because they have a solid foundation.

I know the salaries that are paid to some of each' stop employees. The pay rate isn't necessarily based on experience and education, but relationship to grace. Why is the guy in wynne making less money than Tara Townsend made when she was there? Please go to the state salary and look at the salaries of EACC vs CRTI. EACC may be over stretching tgeir budgets in turns salary. Maybe CRTI or ASU or UCA need to take over EACC. You have to admit that there are some dirty politics going on with that merger.

Fyi I really wish I had earned a trade in addition to my degree too.
mossburg

United States

#36 Mar 2, 2017
oh so their gonna hire more white men its about time

Little Rock, AR

#37 Mar 6, 2017
Yeah wrote:
Thank you for your reply Guest. I am an EACC graduate as well and I completed my BUsiness degree at ASU. I attended before dr grace came on board ( I think). I received a great education from EACC. Unfortunately the demographics have changed. I will not say what I do because it would be too telling of who I am. In my profession, I have learned that the residents in this area would better benefit from CRTI. EACC staff just do not offer the support and relationship with students that CRTI does as a whole.
You stated that many people in the area utilize EACC only for the pell money and then they drop out. The ones who are committed to their education will not attend here. Dr grace's friends offspring will not attend there. People like us will have successful kids because they have a solid foundation.

I know the salaries that are paid to some of each' stop employees. The pay rate isn't necessarily based on experience and education, but relationship to grace. Why is the guy in wynne making less money than Tara Townsend made when she was there? Please go to the state salary and look at the salaries of EACC vs CRTI. EACC may be over stretching tgeir budgets in turns salary. Maybe CRTI or ASU or UCA need to take over EACC. You have to admit that there are some dirty politics going on with that merger.

Fyi I really wish I had earned a trade in addition to my degree too.
I know a lot of people who are committed to their education who are attending EACC. My kids, when they are of age, will likely attend EACC, just as I did.

Your statement "I have learned......would better benefit from CRTI." is opinion. Not necessarily one I would disagree with IF EACC was not going to continue with vocational programs, but EACC IS going to continue with those programs.

As far as "support and relationship with students", I'm not sure what kind of treatment you're expecting from a college. People attending these schools are almost exclusively 18 years old or older. They are adults. I didn't expect my professors to hold my hand and be my best friend when I went to college. I expected them to teach me. The "relationship" is a business relationship, not a personal relationship. I paid EACC to take classes. The professors taught me, I did well enough to get a grade/ credit that then transferred to the U of A.

Please post factual information about salaries not being "based on experience and education, but relationship to grace". Specific people, their salary, their relationship to Dr Grace, and an employee who is more qualified (either education or experience) who is making less. You are anonymous on this site, so why wouldn't you post this information if you have proof of it?

I guess my point is, I see a lot of speculation on the side of the CRTI supporters, a lot of mud slinging, a lot of opinion, but no FACTS.

I know a lot of the info is available through the FOIA, so please, by all means, post up actual facts as opposed to "school A is better than school B".

Memphis, TN

#38 Mar 8, 2017
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>

I know a lot of people who are committed to their education who are attending EACC. My kids, when they are of age, will likely attend EACC, just as I did.

Your statement "I have learned......would better benefit from CRTI." is opinion. Not necessarily one I would disagree with IF EACC was not going to continue with vocational programs, but EACC IS going to continue with those programs.

As far as "support and relationship with students", I'm not sure what kind of treatment you're expecting from a college. People attending these schools are almost exclusively 18 years old or older. They are adults. I didn't expect my professors to hold my hand and be my best friend when I went to college. I expected them to teach me. The "relationship" is a business relationship, not a personal relationship. I paid EACC to take classes. The professors taught me, I did well enough to get a grade/ credit that then transferred to the U of A.

Please post factual information about salaries not being "based on experience and education, but relationship to grace". Specific people, their salary, their relationship to Dr Grace, and an employee who is more qualified (either education or experience) who is making less. You are anonymous on this site, so why wouldn't you post this information if you have proof of it?

I guess my point is, I see a lot of speculation on the side of the CRTI supporters, a lot of mud slinging, a lot of opinion, but no FACTS.

I know a lot of the info is available through the FOIA, so please, by all means, post up actual facts as opposed to "school A is better than school B".
I still believe there is a hidden agenda. Why is the take over/ merger a priority. I saw the list of salaries on the state website and have heard EACC employees state that tgeir are chosen grace favorites who climb the ladder fast and are compensated better than others. I'm sure you know this too. It doesn't matter it will happen and I wish the best of luck to them all. I don't have kids or grands who lives here to attend.

Little Rock, AR

#39 Mar 9, 2017
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>

I still believe there is a hidden agenda. Why is the take over/ merger a priority. I saw the list of salaries on the state website and have heard EACC employees state that tgeir are chosen grace favorites who climb the ladder fast and are compensated better than others. I'm sure you know this too. It doesn't matter it will happen and I wish the best of luck to them all. I don't have kids or grands who lives here to attend.

From my understanding, it will save the state 1 million plus. The governer and state reps want it. I don't think the average EACC employee cares. They will gain no benefit, and if anything will have to do more work.

Again, the "grace favorites" thing keeps popping up. Post evidence, or it is merely speculation or sour grapes from someone who has not advanced. Dr Grace doesn't have ultimate authority to do whatever he wants. That's not the way colleges work.

This is about responsibility of taxpayer dollars. Nothing more. There isn't a hidden agenda.
Yeah right

Memphis, TN

#40 Mar 11, 2017
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>

From my understanding, it will save the state 1 million plus. The governer and state reps want it. I don't think the average EACC employee cares. They will gain no benefit, and if anything will have to do more work.

Again, the "grace favorites" thing keeps popping up. Post evidence, or it is merely speculation or sour grapes from someone who has not advanced. Dr Grace doesn't have ultimate authority to do whatever he wants. That's not the way colleges work.

This is about responsibility of taxpayer dollars. Nothing more. There isn't a hidden agenda.
Grace has full authority he hand picks his board and they are all &#65039;yes members. He hires and promotes who he wants. Don't act like this isn't true. It may be sore grapes and I'm sure it's based on someone's real life experiences

That's not how it's suppose to work, but we all know better

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Forrest City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 30 min BARNEYII 38,283
Hot dude at Sonic 1 hr Blast 1
Just wondering atbou tracieturner 3 hr Lolol 22
Ouija board 5 hr Ghost 1
Claire Hill 16 hr Old friend 3
Gary Hughes 20 hr Truth bomber 3
Truck Stolen Sat Bobby Mitchell 4

Forrest City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance