EACC: Lack of Minority employees in high positions?

Posted in the Forrest City Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Freethinker

Forrest City, AR

#1 Mar 7, 2013
I had the opportunity to walk in on a conversation between to seemingly educated minorities. They ended their conversation when they saw me. They were discussing race issues at the college, and lack if diversity when hiring. Not sure?!?!
I was a student there a few years ago,and had a black friend who transferred to FC with her husband. She was a few classes from a doctorate and she applied a lot and didn't get an interviews. I think she works at west Memphis college now. I also noticed there are not many black professors there either.
Another place who I don't think hire blacks is catfish island.
My husband is black and I moved here with him a few years ago. Since being around his family and living down here, I noticed some race differences that I wasn't aware of before I went black.
Those if you who are in positions to hire, does race play any part in your decision making? I'm not talking about the black stereotypes, but the regular ones who are educated and decent.
Intelligent people only please!
Freethinker

Forrest City, AR

#2 Mar 7, 2013
My husband and I have discussed having children. I am sure the child will look more like him. I really want my future child to have every opportunity. This race thing horrifies me. I think we just may adopt a single race child.
Who cares

Forrest City, AR

#3 Mar 7, 2013
Qualifications does not matter in this area when it comes to hiring. Yes race does play a role in who gets hired look at the FCSD. Alot of more qualified people were passed over so someones friend could get the position.
hey

Forrest City, AR

#4 Mar 7, 2013
Freethinker, I know who you are. I overheard that conversation too. I am the person with the braids who walked bumped into you. I was too embarrased for them ladies. They played it off real cool too.

I didn't know you were married, you look so young.

Also, there are a few blacks professors at the college. I know i am leaving fc and not coming back when i graduate.
Guest

Oklahoma City, OK

#5 Mar 7, 2013
Who cares wrote:
Qualifications does not matter in this area when it comes to hiring. Yes race does play a role in who gets hired look at the FCSD. Alot of more qualified people were passed over so someones friend could get the position.
Don't stop now, name some people hired and overlooked.
guest

Forrest City, AR

#6 Mar 7, 2013
JH. PL. TM. ST. SW. TB. BB. need I go on.
former FC native

Malvern, AR

#7 Mar 7, 2013
Know someone working at EACC. So true blacks are overlooked. One token left on top dont hve clue. Just sit and get money. Blacks hired for lower jobs as janitors or secretries. whites move up as they walk on campus no more ed than blacks espec from big shot families or a certin church. Other blacks piled in togeher in cramped n dirty blg. No credit for working hard. Racism is real
guest 2

Forrest City, AR

#8 Mar 8, 2013
Where is all the white people at blacks is all that works there and attends
Insider

United States

#9 Mar 8, 2013
former FC native wrote:
Know someone working at EACC. So true blacks are overlooked. One token left on top dont hve clue. Just sit and get money. Blacks hired for lower jobs as janitors or secretries. whites move up as they walk on campus no more ed than blacks espec from big shot families or a certin church. Other blacks piled in togeher in cramped n dirty blg. No credit for working hard. Racism is real
Unfortunately this is very true. I don't know if race is the major factor, but I do really see less qualified whites given high positions. It may have more to do with social favoritism. Coy seems to have his favorites and of course they are in his social circles, church, friends, golf buddies,etc. dude will even create jobs to hire friends who need jobs. Of course they are usually white. I've seen blacks with experienced, currently working in a dept,in positions for multiple years, looked over for less qualified whites. The black person isn't even considered for the position, nor is the job ever posted. They just casually move a white from the circle into the position. The kicker is that the blacks stay there and end up training their bosses or doing the work for those positions.

It's sad and I am glad I was able to get away. FYI they usually hire the cream of the crop blacks, so there really is no excuse.
confused

Forrest City, AR

#10 Mar 8, 2013
guest 2 wrote:
Where is all the white people at blacks is all that works there and attends
I believe she is asking about the department heads, administration, office, profesors, deans, etc. Not the students, janitors, maintenance workers.

Im gonna go to the website and look, or pay more attention when Im on campus. I havent thought about this before.
guest

Grand Prairie, TX

#11 Mar 8, 2013
I have been to EACC and there are too many blacks in high places were they have no business. Im guessing they got the job because they are black, I see a lot of this in this area.
former FC native

Malvern, AR

#12 Mar 8, 2013
guest wrote:
I have been to EACC and there are too many blacks in high places were they have no business. Im guessing they got the job because they are black, I see a lot of this in this area.
too many in what high places? You don't know what a high place is. For you info, the Blacks in offices have degrees, Associates on up. Some have several. But r looked over to hire whites jus because of who they r.
former FC native

Malvern, AR

#13 Mar 8, 2013
Insider is so right. Jobs are made up for people in Coy's circle. No qualifcations needed. Just race and belong to right group or church. don't consider any Blacks. have a couple of tokens who act as field bosses only there for money. Very few teachers are black. Jobs r made up not advertised. Promoted by who you r, no expernce neces. Board allows it. Totally ignore many hard working more qualified employes.
Guest

Wynne, AR

#14 Mar 8, 2013
OMG, that's right. Hire them because they are black. Blacks want everything handed to them, were white people must work for everything they get. Poor white guy doesn't have a chance.
Insider

Forrest City, AR

#15 Mar 8, 2013
Guest wrote:
OMG, that's right. Hire them because they are black. Blacks want everything handed to them, were white people must work for everything they get. Poor white guy doesn't have a chance.
Stupid can you not comprehend what you read? The person is saying that QUALIFIED blacks are being passed over for positions for less qualified whites.. Also it seems as though jobs are not being posted. Certain people are given jobs based on the good boy system. This could affect you too. You know the college isn't about to hire just any black person. They have to be 10x better than average. I was about to disagree because a relative if mine has been working there for a decade. I thought she had been promoted, she informed me that a person with a communications degree and 2 yrs of retail was put in position over her. My relative has 2 Masters and 10 years experience. She said she moved to another department because she was doing her supervisors work. Why the blacks stay and don't complain, I don't know. I was also told that just thus past week to moved basic white people into positions without posting the job. I would probably contact an attorney if I was them. There are people of all races who want something for nothing, I don't think that is the case here.
Insider2

Forrest City, AR

#16 Mar 8, 2013
It wasn't just me, but I see others are dealed the same cards.
former FC native

Little Rock, AR

#17 Mar 9, 2013
Insider wrote:
<quoted text>
Stupid can you not comprehend what you read? The person is saying that QUALIFIED blacks are being passed over for positions for less qualified whites.. Also it seems as though jobs are not being posted. Certain people are given jobs based on the good boy system. This could affect you too. You know the college isn't about to hire just any black person. They have to be 10x better than average. I was about to disagree because a relative if mine has been working there for a decade. I thought she had been promoted, she informed me that a person with a communications degree and 2 yrs of retail was put in position over her. My relative has 2 Masters and 10 years experience. She said she moved to another department because she was doing her supervisors work. Why the blacks stay and don't complain, I don't know. I was also told that just thus past week to moved basic white people into positions without posting the job. I would probably contact an attorney if I was them. There are people of all races who want something for nothing, I don't think that is the case here.
Anyone who says something finds themslves abandoned by others and will be forced out. I think some blcks just waiting to retire. in the meantime, they tolerate sometimes unbearable stress and often do work of others hired and paid more money. Can't afford to be unemployed. Coy is a good old boy with the right connecions with a board that permits anything. He knows how to skirt the law and has people hired to help him. Those able to leave do. Some left with no jobs.
former FC native

Little Rock, AR

#18 Mar 9, 2013
This colleg no longer belongs to the comunity, it is owned by Coy n ran like a plantation. Even some whites are disgusted w him. If they r not from the right circle they r overlooked too.

“NSA”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#19 Mar 9, 2013
Well this isn't no shock, black people thinking they didn't get something just because they're black.

Is there any race that pulls the race card more than blacks do? I don't think so. If you say the word monkey around certain black people, even if your at a zoo when you say it, they just know you meant it racist and not really taking about the primate exhibit you're at.
Pathetic! Time for all races to acknowledge that sometimes your race has nothing to do with your short comings.
Most people get hired through people they know, that's a fact. If you happen to be black and don't get hired and a white person does, it not automatically race related. But I know some people are use to or trained to make excuses for themselves.

And there is more to qualifications than a degree. There is other things that get looked at. Work history, attendance, appearance, attitude, speech, social skills, etc..

And professionals that are in a position to hire read stuff like this might be like wow, so if I hire them and they happen to not get the best desk, the raise they expected or any other thing, are they going to be pulling the race card with me? Nobody wants to have to deal with office drama. And I wouldn't hire anyone that seems proned to office drama, regardless of race or degrees.
People judge people upon contact, that's just human nature. If you have a negative presence about you, it will be picked up and used as part of considering a person for a position.
freethinker

Forrest City, AR

#20 Mar 9, 2013
Brad, I see where you are coming from, but clearly you can look at this forum and see that you guys have some serious race issues around here.It does seem like some of the white people make awful assumptions about the blacks in this area. I don't know if that is based on your own experiences or things that were passed down to you. I believe someone stated earlier that it may not necesarily have anything to do with race as much as it has to do with nepotism, or favortism,etc.

I can understand how the blacks feel. A few years ago, my Director hired his friend's son after my manager resigned. This dude had no experience and was a recent college graduate. I understood wanting to help out a friend, but seriously why would you overlook a loyal hardworking employee over the unknown?. Thats not really good business sense. When it became obvious that i would be doing the work while he received the credit, I left. I wasn't about to help this guy move up on my hardwork. i just know that it really did hurt me to be in that position. it just seems as though race should not matter, but experience and education should at a college.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Forrest City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
AR Who do you support for Commissioner of State La... (Oct '10) 4 min guest 274
Billy ray rice paulman 49 min omg 8
AR More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark (Jan '11) 1 hr PeTRA 10,019
So, you like bad-mouthing the law...? (Jul '09) 8 hr Long Live Americans 35
countycop 618 (Mar '14) 8 hr Long Live Americans 34
Dustin Manues 8 hr Long Live Americans 2
AR Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in A... (Oct '10) 8 hr Guest 399
•••
•••
Forrest City Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Forrest City Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Forrest City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Forrest City News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Forrest City
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••