Preemy

AOL

#1986 Jun 4, 2009
Simple Said, been there for more than 23 years vested and struck more than you have, last strike to mention was 9 months long red shirts, and other defense tactics Not to mention here, lots of blood shed, If the union did not make a grave mistake, and agree to such a disgraceful appendix in the first place we would not be disgrutled and pissed off, so I say wake up now and start whinning, cause the way things have been, its obvious you will have something later to whine about, Been around the block, dont let my username mislead you
My 2 Cents, CWA Always was and always will be a company union, sorry the west coast does not have the bullocks that the eastern districts have.
I speak Up And voicing my opinion does not label me as a chicken shit, I think being a chicken shit is not acknowledging the facts here, so re evaluate. And the longer this goes without some serious actions, all we are doing is paving a golden road and AT&T lays Back and refuels & reloads in the meantime we sit and get slapped.
Preemy

AOL

#1987 Jun 4, 2009
Who me wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF ???
Don't be such a chicken shit. The CWA has not said they're done and are working on a good contract for the core and prem techs. If you would go to a union meeting and participate maybe you would have a feel of what being a union member is all about. No it's not fun and it's very stressful to work without a contract. I've got 31 years and have walked the picket line many times to get what we have. We are not done yet and the union is working hard to get prem tech brought into the core with better benefits and pay. The company is playing hard ball because corporate greed has become the norm. The CWA members are not going to put up with it. We have a long fight ahead of us. Other companies have had contract negotiations drag on for up to a year. So stop whining and wear your red union shirts to show solidarity. If we do go out on strike it could be a couple of months. Being a CWA union member is not for the weak and whinny.
Be strong and be united.
United we Bargain, divided we beg!
Stop with the poetic wisdon, Lets see some media, lets see job actions, lets see picket, lets see work by rule. that works.
Repremanding Me??? The Union is Working Hard? Listen Pal, We do not even have a contract!!! Least done could have extended the prior one, at the least, Lets All wake up here.
Prem Techs Are treated like pigs,Who's fault is that?
T from Kzoo

Allegan, MI

#1988 Jun 5, 2009
[Don't be such a chicken shit. The CWA has not said they're done and are working on a good contract for the core and prem techs. If you would go to a union meeting and participate maybe you would have a feel of what being a union member is all about. No it's not fun and it's very stressful to work without a contract. I've got 31 years and have walked the picket line many times to get what we have. We are not done yet and the union is working hard to get prem tech brought into the core with better benefits and pay. The company is playing hard ball because corporate greed has become the norm. The CWA members are not going to put up with it. We have a long fight ahead of us. Other companies have had contract negotiations drag on for up to a year. So stop whining and wear your red union shirts to show solidarity. If we do go out on strike it could be a couple of months. Being a CWA union member is not for the weak and whinny.
Be strong and be united.
Wow, you honestly believe the companys going to let us Prem Techs in the core contract?
No way we get in the core contract, AT&T wants to do away with the core, no way they let more in and make it stronger. The bottom line is, Prem techs will get screwed this contract and the union will come back with some bullshit story about how this position is so new and it's going to take a few years to work out. We'll get are token raise and still be treated like shit for the next 3 years until this contract expires.

Since: Mar 09

Lubbock, TX

#1989 Jun 5, 2009
Who me wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF ???
Don't be such a chicken shit. The CWA has not said they're done and are working on a good contract for the core and prem techs. If you would go to a union meeting and participate maybe you would have a feel of what being a union member is all about. No it's not fun and it's very stressful to work without a contract. I've got 31 years and have walked the picket line many times to get what we have. We are not done yet and the union is working hard to get prem tech brought into the core with better benefits and pay. The company is playing hard ball because corporate greed has become the norm. The CWA members are not going to put up with it. We have a long fight ahead of us. Other companies have had contract negotiations drag on for up to a year. So stop whining and wear your red union shirts to show solidarity. If we do go out on strike it could be a couple of months. Being a CWA union member is not for the weak and whinny.
Be strong and be united.
Well I tell you what how about you give up that nice cushy job of whatever you are doing and take on a PT's job. Then we'll see how you feel about things.

I do attend my union meetings and what I have found out about being a Union member is they at least give us lube when they bend us over. For example the last meeting I attended I was told by my local VP that premise technicians number 2000 in district 6. That is roughly 5-7 percent of the unionized workforce for district 6. He said that the Union was not going to strike just for 7% of its members...it wasn't going to make 93% of its workforce go with out pay checks just to get PT's a fair contract. United we stand? Yeah right!

The bargaining committees have been reviewing the 'Last, Best and Final' offer...they have their mandated critical and non-critical items and THATs what they need to be reviewing.

I have made this offer to every outside field technician in my area...give up what your doing for a month and come be a prem tech...yet no one has taken me up on the offer...wonder why?
jdub

Danville, CA

#1990 Jun 5, 2009
im glad we have a union, but they seem preaty weak compared to other unions...i just hope we prem techs come out on top at least with pay, this is like living in poverty with pay we get for the work we do. i wouldnt mind paying a little for health care but i want the same type of pay other installers get such as comcast verizon, dish and att pots installers...what other job have u taken a test for where you get a low wage.

Lubbock, TX

#1991 Jun 5, 2009
Preemy wrote:
Simple Said, been there for more than 23 years vested and struck more than you have, last strike to mention was 9 months long red shirts, and other defense tactics Not to mention here, lots of blood shed, If the union did not make a grave mistake, and agree to such a disgraceful appendix in the first place we would not be disgrutled and pissed off, so I say wake up now and start whinning, cause the way things have been, its obvious you will have something later to whine about, Been around the block, dont let my username mislead you
My 2 Cents, CWA Always was and always will be a company union, sorry the west coast does not have the bullocks that the eastern districts have.
I speak Up And voicing my opinion does not label me as a chicken shit, I think being a chicken shit is not acknowledging the facts here, so re evaluate. And the longer this goes without some serious actions, all we are doing is paving a golden road and AT&T lays Back and refuels & reloads in the meantime we sit and get slapped.
AMEN!

The Union has been complacent not just in the past four years but the last twelve to fifteen years. As soon as AT&T started manipulating and overflowing open positions with temporary workers the Union should have gotten involved. I started as a temp in 2005 and EVERY single one of those temps, who were at top pay mind you, in December 2008 got the joyful opportunity of becoming a PT. Or the lucky ones got to go find new jobs.

You are damn right the Union has been making horribly grave mistakes and Appendix J is just the latest and gravest mistake. I hate it that it upsets some of these older employees, who have not yet been forced to work as a Prem Tech under appendix J...but honestly that group SHOULD feel the most guilty about creating the current climate we are in. I am sure they will say they should not be blamed, what could they have done? Well if you are Union then YOU are the Union. The Union is not the crooked money stealing scumbags at the National or District level. The Union is not the Local officers...the Union is the membership!

I have been screwed by this Union twice once as a temporary full time CST and now as a Prem tech...pardon me if I feel a tad upset by this but I believe I am 100% accurate in saying...The Union owes ME...and every other Temp that was hired five years ago and made into PT's and prem techs for having to suffer AT&T's wrath that is Appendix J. All we are asking for is to be treated like every one else that works outside. 9/12 over time rule, at least craft 2 pay and core contract coverage. Not having our vacation time stolen by the company...the list goes on forever.

Its ok though, when the Union gives into the company, yet again, the core contract will be a thing of the past. Outside techs that are not prem techs, will be forced over and craft 1 and craft 2 levels of pay will be a distant memory. And don't forget the 60 hours per week, if not more, that you will now be forced to work...remember that especially when that same amount of time would net you almost 3K in pay for your check and now it will be a stretch for it to hit 1.8K for that pay check.
Warren Wired

Bedford, TX

#1992 Jun 5, 2009
Tim A wrote:
<quoted text>Hi Bruce, I have to take the test to become a Premise Tech and was wondering if you could recommend some reference material to help me prepare for the test.
I was a premises tech for SBC/AT&T. I found "Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics" by Stan Gibilisco helped me pass the test I took to get the job. Here's how it went:
I called SBC employment and they said come take a test. I got the book and studied it hard for about 10 days. Then I went and took the test. Was one of a handful who passed it out of about 40 who took it. They offered me a job two days later. Test was called the TKT or Technical Knowledge Test.

I worked that job for 6 years, but got burned out.
Had saved a lot of money. Was making 27 an hour 3 years ago. Sounds like they are not paying enough now to the new hires. It was very stressful work for me, but if you have good people skills,it might not be too bad. At that pay rate, though, it's a tough call. Good luck.
thinking

Peru, IN

#1993 Jun 5, 2009
Do Premises Techs take home the truck in Illinois/Chicago or drive to the garage daily?

How much overtime is normal for a week?

How long for benefits/insurance coverage?

How long before Comcast will hire me?
Who me

United States

#1994 Jun 5, 2009
Preemy wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop with the poetic wisdon, Lets see some media, lets see job actions, lets see picket, lets see work by rule. that works.
Repremanding Me??? The Union is Working Hard? Listen Pal, We do not even have a contract!!! Least done could have extended the prior one, at the least, Lets All wake up here.
Prem Techs Are treated like pigs,Who's fault is that?
I am not reprimanding you, I just have a problem with you saying the Union is in bed with the company!
For pickets, for techs showing up for a rally in front of the Four Seasons hotel where Randal Stevenson was giving a speech, for techs making there voices heard: http://cwa9511.com/

I know how Prem Techs are treated. I have a husband and friends that are prem techs.

Yes the company screwed the prem techs. They were going to have them be contractors in a lot of the states. CWA at least got them under a CWA contract.

In District "9" Prem tech pay and benefits are high priority.
Who me

United States

#1995 Jun 5, 2009
T from Kzoo wrote:
Wow, you honestly believe the companys going to let us Prem Techs in the core contract?
No way we get in the core contract, AT&T wants to do away with the core, no way they let more in and make it stronger. The bottom line is, Prem techs will get screwed this contract and the union will come back with some bullshit story about how this position is so new and it's going to take a few years to work out. We'll get are token raise and still be treated like shit for the next 3 years until this contract expires.
Lets hope not. The company has said they are willing to make prem techs part of the core. The Union is fighting to make sure they also get the benefits. Here they are after service tech pay for the prem techs. It's going to take some big action to get the company to come to our terms. This CEO thinks he is going to whip us all into shape. I hate to say it but it's going to take a stike to get it done.
Who me

United States

#1996 Jun 5, 2009
LubbPremTech wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I tell you what how about you give up that nice cushy job of whatever you are doing and take on a PT's job. Then we'll see how you feel about things.
I do attend my union meetings and what I have found out about being a Union member is they at least give us lube when they bend us over. For example the last meeting I attended I was told by my local VP that premise technicians number 2000 in district 6. That is roughly 5-7 percent of the unionized workforce for district 6. He said that the Union was not going to strike just for 7% of its members...it wasn't going to make 93% of its workforce go with out pay checks just to get PT's a fair contract. United we stand? Yeah right!
The bargaining committees have been reviewing the 'Last, Best and Final' offer...they have their mandated critical and non-critical items and THATs what they need to be reviewing.
I have made this offer to every outside field technician in my area...give up what your doing for a month and come be a prem tech...yet no one has taken me up on the offer...wonder why?
I am sorry you don't think district 6 has the support of all their members. Here in District 9 we are united. The core knows that the Prem tech job is the new entry job to the field.
It can affect us all. If the company beats down PT's we are next. The core techs have shown support for the PT's here. Almost all signed a letter letting the local PT crews know we are behind them as we know they are behind us. 2 garages signed it. There was over 1500 years of service combined on that letter.
Many core techs have shown up for a prem techs rally and PT's for our rallies.

And to your smart ass comment about my nice cushy job. 411 operator 3 years, network services and service tech 25 years, splicer 3 years. I know what PT's do. Friends and family of mine are in the job. I am one of their biggest supporters. I have educated many of the core on the crap you guys have to put up with. I know there is lots of pressure and stress, but don't think you are the only ones that have ever had a tough time. 28 years ago being a women in a man's dominated job was no walk in the park..9 trucks, hanging drops in all kinds of weather, forced over time 7 days a week 12 hour days when we had the March rains,
bosses that ran roughshod over the techs and where not reined in. Sure things have gotten better but that is because we have built a better union and gone on strike for weeks on end to get a good contract.

I love my job but it's not cushy. There are days I am in manholes with muck up to my knees and days I am hanging on hooks on a pole rebuilding a terminal case for 4 hours.

I've done the attic crawls and under the house crawls and hang drops through a backyard of trees and had dogs climb up a fence under me while I hang on the pole and deal with the customers that are irate and screaming at you because they have been with out service for 9 days because we are so backlogged. Oh and the naked guy answering the door. Been there.

Lubbock, TX

#1997 Jun 5, 2009
Who me wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sorry you don't think district 6 has the support of all their members. Here in District 9 we are united. The core knows that the Prem tech job is the new entry job to the field.
It can affect us all. If the company beats down PT's we are next. The core techs have shown support for the PT's here. Almost all signed a letter letting the local PT crews know we are behind them as we know they are behind us. 2 garages signed it. There was over 1500 years of service combined on that letter.
Many core techs have shown up for a prem techs rally and PT's for our rallies.
And to your smart ass comment about my nice cushy job. 411 operator 3 years, network services and service tech 25 years, splicer 3 years. I know what PT's do. Friends and family of mine are in the job. I am one of their biggest supporters. I have educated many of the core on the crap you guys have to put up with. I know there is lots of pressure and stress, but don't think you are the only ones that have ever had a tough time. 28 years ago being a women in a man's dominated job was no walk in the park..9 trucks, hanging drops in all kinds of weather, forced over time 7 days a week 12 hour days when we had the March rains,
bosses that ran roughshod over the techs and where not reined in. Sure things have gotten better but that is because we have built a better union and gone on strike for weeks on end to get a good contract.
I love my job but it's not cushy. There are days I am in manholes with muck up to my knees and days I am hanging on hooks on a pole rebuilding a terminal case for 4 hours.
I've done the attic crawls and under the house crawls and hang drops through a backyard of trees and had dogs climb up a fence under me while I hang on the pole and deal with the customers that are irate and screaming at you because they have been with out service for 9 days because we are so backlogged. Oh and the naked guy answering the door. Been there.
Its not a matter of me thinking this stuff up that is what we were told point blank in the Union meeting. The difficulties that you have experienced in 28 years are all part of the job. I accept that customers are gonna be cranky and I have worked those same 7 day work weeks 12 hours a day during service emergencies just as you have, as a temp CST. All of that is a lot easier to swallow when you are making craft 1 pay, and getting double time after 9 hours of mandatory over time. I can accept all aspects of my job and the political harassment from management. We Prem Techs just want to be treated equally. You as a woman can definitely appreciate that. I hope I am wrong about the support or lack there of that we see here in District 6 and honestly a lot of people say they are behind us...just sounds like the Union isn't willing to do what it takes for us and we have had it. We have had it since April. In the past two weeks we have lost two prem techs both from self termination. That sort of ratio is non existent in I&M crews. They loose one person every year or so. And for us its just going to increase over the next few months. I am not trying to take away from anyones past experiences just saying try not to call someone a whiner until you have done the PT job for a while.
PTs wife

Charlotte, MI

#1998 Jun 5, 2009
You go girl!!
Who me

United States

#1999 Jun 5, 2009
LubbPremTech wrote:
<quoted text>
Its not a matter of me thinking this stuff up that is what we were told point blank in the Union meeting. The difficulties that you have experienced in 28 years are all part of the job. I accept that customers are gonna be cranky and I have worked those same 7 day work weeks 12 hours a day during service emergencies just as you have, as a temp CST. All of that is a lot easier to swallow when you are making craft 1 pay, and getting double time after 9 hours of mandatory over time. I can accept all aspects of my job and the political harassment from management. We Prem Techs just want to be treated equally. You as a woman can definitely appreciate that. I hope I am wrong about the support or lack there of that we see here in District 6 and honestly a lot of people say they are behind us...just sounds like the Union isn't willing to do what it takes for us and we have had it. We have had it since April. In the past two weeks we have lost two prem techs both from self termination. That sort of ratio is non existent in I&M crews. They loose one person every year or so. And for us its just going to increase over the next few months. I am not trying to take away from anyones past experiences just saying try not to call someone a whiner until you have done the PT job for a while.
Let me clarify what I meant:
When I said stop whinny I only meant about the comment about the "Union being in bed with the company". Our local President came from cox cable 10 years ago and is a good hard working union president for all our members in his local.
He is very concerned about our Prem Techs future and take it personally what the company is trying to do to them.
As to the job and how prem techs are treated, I know how they are treated. They are treated like second class employees and paid about 60% of what they should be paid. They work their asses off to keep their jobs and have managers (Not all though) riding them to do better. They weekly add new obstacles and work and tests for them to do. They bitch at them for Jepping jobs that the company has screwed up and not even let the customers know you are coming and then yell at you guys because you jepped the job. They either work you with forced overtime or have no work so send you home after 4 hours.

So as to your job as a prem tech:
Please feel free to bitch, grip and, or lament all you want about the job because I am right there with you. I am ashamed at how this company of my 31 years and dad's 40 years has turned into a greedy bastard of a company.

And also know this. CWA is over 120,000 strong.
If you're not feeling the love in district 6 know that there are a whole lot more of us that support you guys, just like you support us.
If one district walks we all walk. That's what a union does. They company is trying to negotiate each district separately but the union bosses and locals are all in contact with each other. They are all after the same thing. A good and fair contract for all of CWA.

Could the company screw us all?
You bet-cha.
Are we going to take it lying down?
No way in Hell!
thinking

Peru, IN

#2000 Jun 6, 2009
Do Premises Techs take home the truck in Illinois/Chicago or drive to the garage daily?

PT in CA

Danville, CA

#2001 Jun 7, 2009
thinking wrote:
No truck to home
OT, as much as you can do, if there are enough jobs in the pool
after 6 month
hiring process depends if there are vacancies, drug test, written tests, approx. 4-6 weeks, sometimes even longer
pair changer

Atlanta, GA

#2002 Jun 9, 2009
Anyone heard about what CWA is trying to do for the prem techs in the old Bellsouth region. Here we are not even union yet. I worked 16.5 hours straight a couple of weeks ago. 4 hours of sleep that night and back at work in the morning to pull 13 hours the next day. It's pretty crazy here. So anyone heard anything concerning us down here?
blue blue

Dallas, TX

#2003 Jun 9, 2009
Ok.Expect to be overworked. The company is treating you like the tool in which you try to buy at home depot for less money than you know its worth. Expect when your efficiency is down that the company is going to talk to you about it.. The only thing that really grinds my gears is the fact that my efficiency and work is affected by their damn technical errors of this systemÖ RGís not syncing, orders needing to be escalated because it wasnít put in right the first time. Looping errors for registration, STs never assigned to the install that your almost done withÖ Iím ONLY PISSED at the END of the Day cause I donít need someone asking what went wrong when they know something is going to go wrong on 75% of our jobs and & 80% of those arenít our faults.
chris

Tinley Park, IL

#2004 Jun 9, 2009
i hope all you stupid prem techs go on strike and lose your job. this is one of the hardest times in history to have a job and you fools are crying like a bunch of babys. Go on strike, dont get paid, and lose your jobs to almost anyone else in america that would do it.

I hope you all lose your jobs and wind up on the corner.
Common Sense

United States

#2005 Jun 9, 2009
Over 90% of Americans have jobs. If you don't like the truth about the position I suggest you go back to your spreadsheets.
I'm sure you've got to write up some hard working Prem Tech for some bs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Forney Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Which are worse- blacks or mexicans? 1 hr no moleste el gato 3
Ebola patient moved to Dallas to marry mother o... 11 hr Streetrunner 62
emory (Sep '11) Tue squeezers 3
We Need to Secure Our Borders from Illness and ... Tue no moleste el gato 3
Add A Word Drop A Word (Nov '12) Tue Jennifer Renee 1,054
Forney teenagers assaulted and robbed at Windmi... (Sep '10) Oct 9 Ron 11
Mom Talks About Forney Traffic Stop & Possible ... Oct 2 anonymous 3

Forney News Video

Forney Dating
Find my Match