accounting due us

Utica, NY

#57 May 16, 2012
This is CLEARLY identifying the neglect of more than the past 3 years, by the total administration of this community. There is much more to find.
When the people begin to fulfill their obligation of monitoring those in office, this is what evolves.
You can't reach out and touch your County, State or National elected officials as you can the local people you and I elect to watch out for the best interests of our community and what affects our lives here. But you see and many times socialize with those who are duty bound to care for this community.... BUT DO YOU??
You can check on the people we elect as well as those appointed to town positions by the Board,
BUT TO YOU?
We place our trust in them to watch out for the entire TOWN's best interests (not their own agendas)
BUT DO THEY?
The situation of the Twin Bridges is prime example. Three years have gone by and nothing was done until a group of townspeople began to probe and ask questions.
Time is running out........we may LOOSE THESE BRIDGES unless action THAT IS LONG,LONG PAST DUE, is taken and taken soon.
DOESN'T THIS TELL YOU SOMETHING?
It tells me we have been paying these people we trust to care for our TOWN with our votes of confidence, and they have shown themselves to be UNWORTHY of being in their offices. They have been paid well to do a job for US, not for themselves.
bob

United States

#58 May 16, 2012
Does anyone think a small business wants to move into this town , houses abandoned in town , bridges closed , no plans for the future , and they board worries about how many chickens you can have
It is beginning

Utica, NY

#59 May 16, 2012
Anyone not at the Town Board Meeting tonight missed seeing the board move on the Twin Bridges. They have taken action and you all will be hearing soon of the news, I am sure.
explanations due

Utica, NY

#61 May 17, 2012
Would the town board members care to tell us why they acted as they did at the Wed. night board meeting? I think we are entitled to their reasoning for doing what they did, or rather DIDN'T DO Wed. night.
ARE YOU ALL NOT HEARING US?
November can't come soon enough for me!!!!!!
For Parker

Utica, NY

#62 May 17, 2012
You may not be able to fight city hall now, BUT I CAN HARDLY WAIT FOR CERTAIN MEMBERS OF THE BOARD WHO WILL BE UP FOR VOTES AT THIS NOVEMBER'S ELECTION! PAYBACK IS A BITCH.
beginning of an end

Utica, NY

#63 May 17, 2012
Don't have to fight 'em..just don't re-elect 'em.
notsure

Rome, NY

#64 May 17, 2012
Parker Snead wrote:
<quoted text>
THE BEGINNING OF WHAT? MORE MEETINGS? JOANNE, BILL KARN AND BOB SIEGER ALL FAILED TO MAKE THE MOTION FOR OUR BRIDGES EVEN THOUGH THAT IS WHAT THEY ALL WANT AND THAT IS WHAT THEY ALL SAID THEY WERE GOING TO DO. ASK THEM TO EXPLAIN... THE BOARD SCHEDULED ANOTHER MEETING NEXT WEDNESDAY. IF THEY COULDN'T MUSTER IT UP TO MAKE THE MOTION AFTER LAST WEEKS HUGE MEETING WITH THE ENGINEERS, I DON'T THINK THEY WILL.PLUS I DON'T KNOW IF THE BOARD CAN VOTE NEXT WEEK. I WILL BE OUT OF TOWN ON BUSINESS.
OUR BOARD SNATCHED FALURE OUT OF THE JAWS OF VICTORY.
YOU CAN'T FIGHT CITY HALL MY FRIEND
THEY WILL WEAR YOU DOWN IN THE END
YOUR THOUGHTS YOUR TIME YOUR CASH YOUR TRUST
YOUR TRUTH DISFIGURED AND TURNED TO DUST
MOST FACTS FORGOTTEN SPUN OR LOST
ENDURING THE STALLING AND THE COST
YOU CAN'T FIGHT CITY HALL MY FRIEND
YOU CAN'T FIGHT CITY HALL
Parker don't trust Bob Seager! The man is nothing but a back stabbing quitter! Perhaps in November when some of them are replaced they will get the message loud and clear! Might I suggest you run for Supervisor or a position on the board! The people need an honest man with a backbone Parker and I think you would be most excellent at either!!
Winterfell

United States

#65 May 17, 2012
I hear everyone's complaints concerning the "board" not acting or deciding on this issue....what if they are anticipating grant monies to come through via information from back channels ,behind the scenes info...and do not want to "jeopardize" the engineering monies and plans already in place,which is paramount in getting grant funds for "shovel ready" projects.....and on the subject of "why didn't the town board set aside hundreds of thousands of dollars for "possible" bridge repairs is 20/20 hindsight...the board has been doing a great job of keeping everyone's taxes down for the most part with a few exceptions like under accessed waterfront properties...as I said before the bridges could easily run in the millions....so let's fix them as we can and with grant money if available....the worse case scenario is we hire an engineer , estimate and design the repairs and or replacements and go for a bond (loan), this will cost us all much more in taxes.....as far as the town "not doing or doing" anything about this, is yet to be seen.The bridges are state inspected regularly, the highway supt. gets the reports and usually goes around with the inspector and hears the "grey area" stories on each structure...he does what he can...alas the infrastructure is a plague not solely found in Forestport...it's nationwide , and it's looming over us all....so let's work together and fix or replace as funds make themselves available or we can all pay much much more.....I am here for the long haul....so let's collaborate...thanks ....Winterfell
native

Miami, FL

#66 May 17, 2012
The last time any major work was done on the twin bridges was by the highway dept. in 1985 or 1986 , new I beams and concrete work on the long bridge ( which could still be open ) you would think in the 25 or so years with all the state inspections somebody would have come up with a plan ....I guess not
hummm

Utica, NY

#67 May 18, 2012
Well, why can't we do that now then??
Concrete work, new I beams, new boards........
That's called self help.......

That is if anyone cared about them!
Reporting process

Utica, NY

#68 May 18, 2012
Attending the last meeting, I noted that there has been a drastic change in the way the meeting minutes are being reported now.
WHAT CAUSED THAT CHANGE?
WHY HAS IT HAPPENED THIS PAST MONTH?
PRIOR FINANCIAL REPORT DID NOT SHOW AT THE 10/19 MEETING THAT ANY AUTHORIZATION WAS MADE FOR FUNDS NEEDED TO ACCOMPANY THAT TIGER GRANT SUBMISSION. THERE WAS NO MOTION RECORDED, NO PROPOSER OF A MOTION, NOR ANY PURPOSE FOR A MOTION VERIFYING THE FUNDS WERE SENT.

INQUIRING MINDS WISH TO KNOW......WE HAVE A RIGHT TO THAT INFORMATION OR AN EXPLANATION.

The clock is ticking. Time is running out. There may NOT be enough time left to be able to save our twins.

The more one questions, the more one learns.

COULD IT BE THERE IS SOMETHING ELSE GOING ON?
Reporting process

Utica, NY

#69 May 18, 2012
I copy you here, "the board has been doing a great job of keeping everyone's taxes down for the most part with a few exceptions like under accessed waterfront properties."

Winterfell had you thought that the lower tax base resulted from not putting in adequate funds required for regular repairs to the twin bridges?

Like all things neglected...it catches up with you and you have to pay no matter what, where or when.

There should be bridge repair funds budgeted annually, and follow up to see to it that those repairs are done. BUT, if that money was transferred elsewhere for other purposes, that may be what this is all about.

How about you pursuing that information and keeping us informed? I enjoy your blogs here.
WHY

United States

#71 May 18, 2012
Parker Snead wrote:
<quoted text>
THE TOWN HAS NO GRANT APPS IN AT THIS TIME AND WOULD HAVE TO MAKE A MOTION AT A TOWN BOARD MEETING IF THEY WANT TO APPLY FOR ANOTHER GRANT. THERE IS YET ANOTHER BRIDGE MEETING THIS WEDNESDAY. HOPEFULLY THE BOARD WILL BE ABLE TO MAKE A DECISION. BILL GARDNER NEVER SAW A BRIDGE IN BAD ENOUPH SHAPE THAT IT NEEDED MAINTENANCE ( MY OPINION). BILL H HAS HAD HIS ENGINEER SPECTRA MAKE A BRIDGE PROPOSAL FOR A ONE LANE BRIDGE.(AT LAST) AND IT IS A CLONE OF THE BRIDGE THAT OUR BRIDGE COMMITTEE HAS SPENT THE LAST YEAR WORKING ON. IT USES PRE CAST CONCRETE BRIDGE BEAMS JUST LIKE OURS. IT OVER SHOOTS THE ABUTMENTS TO BEARING PADS BEHIND THE ABUTMENTS LIKE OURS BUT IT DOSN'T HAVE A SIDEWALK LIKE OURS AND IT IS OVER $100,000.00 MORE. OUR ENGINEER IS ZANGRILLI ENGINEERING OUT OF WHITESBORO NY AND THEY HAVE BUILT MANY BRIDGES FOR CASH STRAPPED LOCAL TOWNS IN OUR AREA AND THEY KNOW HOW TO KEEP COST DOWN. HE CAN BE AT THE JOB SITE IN 20 MINUTES IF NEED BE. I HAVE WORKED CLOSELY WITH BILL KARN AND JOANNE. THEY HAVE BEEN VERY SUPPORTIVE OF THE BRIDGE COMMITTEES EFFORTS. BOB SEIGER RIDES THE FENCE AND I AM, AFRAID LACKS THE WILL TO ACT. HE ASSURES ME HE WANTS THE ONE LANE BRIDGE AND HE LIKES ZANDGRILLI AND HAS MET WITH HIM AND SPOKE TO TOWNS ZANDGRILLI HAS DONE BRIDGES FOR. HE NERVOUSLY STATED HIS SUPPORT FOR THE ZANDGRILLI OPTION AT LAST WEEKS MEETING BUT DID NOT HAVE THE NERVE TO MAKE A MOTION. NETHER DID JOANNE OR BILL KARN. NANCY CARDASH IS A HUGE DISAPOINTMENT TO ME. SHE CAMPAIGNED AS THOUGH SHE WOULD BE FOR THE TOWN AND THE PEOPLE. SHE SAID SHE WOULD WORK TO GET THE BRIDGES OPEN AGAIN. DOING THIS PROCESS, SHE IS THE ONLY ONE WHO REFUSED TO MEET AND EVEN DISCUSS THE BRIDGES WITH OUR COMMITTEE. SHE IS LIKE HAVING ANOTHER BILL H ON THE BOARD AND WILL NOT VOTE AGAINST HIM. WATCH AND SEE.
Maybe your people aren't as committed to your project as you think. Maybe they want all the facts on how it will affect the town before they make a decision. And as usual anybody that doesn't jump on your bandwagon is up for abuse.
Trying

Utica, NY

#72 May 18, 2012
Parker Snead is not the issue here.
It is the fact that this town board has neglected its obligation to first of all KEEP the bridges in safe repair, and secondly, to offer suggestions and advise in a search for a better, safer and less expensive way to do it.

So far as the engineering firm, they come well recommended in their field. They are close to us,
they are accessible, and their record speaks for itself.

This CAN NO LONGER BE AN OLD BOYS CLUB project.
The taxpayers can't afford excessive expense if it isn't necessary and this is one place where the taxpayers will be overburdened if there is no other choice. Parker brought that other element to the table to give us a choice........NO ONE ELSE DID!

This makes sense people! Get your heads out of the sand. The membership in the Town Board's Good Old Boy's Club is about to end.

REMEMBER we only have a short time before it will be TOO LATE to do ANYTHING on these bridges. TIME WILL RUN OUT AND NONE OF US WANT THAT TO HAPPEN.

The turn out at the meetings is tremendous. KEEP IT UP. Time for the taxpayers to learn things for themselves since we are the ones paying the bill, we should be aware of what is happening to us.

SEE YOU AT THAT MEETING!!
HOLD THAT TIGER

Utica, NY

#73 May 18, 2012
AGAIN...the time frame has now passed for a second submission to TIGER for funding. NICE GOING GUYS!!
Watching it all

United States

#74 May 18, 2012
None fo the Town Board members or local officials are up for election this fall.
Bill Karn, Bob Seager, Bill Hasenauer, Bill Garnder anf Shelley Entwistle will be up next year.

Anyone notce how quiet Bill Gardner has been through all of this? The bridges are part of the highway dept.
WHY

United States

#75 May 18, 2012
Watching it all wrote:
None fo the Town Board members or local officials are up for election this fall.
Bill Karn, Bob Seager, Bill Hasenauer, Bill Garnder anf Shelley Entwistle will be up next year.
Anyone notce how quiet Bill Gardner has been through all of this? The bridges are part of the highway dept.
So now we start on Bill Garner. Explain to me how the course Bill H. was taking was going to cost us more than Parkers plan. Bill H and the town board have been trying to get a grant to put the bridges in and not lay the whole cost on the taxpayers of the town. I know you are going to say that the taxpayers pay for the grant anyway,but
you are going to be paying for it anyways, just that the bridge will be built somewheres else in some other town. You don't think if we don't use the money the gov will just save it?
Whats this about the old boys club?? Are you saying that the whole board is invloved in some kind of conspiracy to stop the bridges being replaced,make some money off of the bridges personally, or do you think it is fair to just trash their names and reputations just because they don't jump the way you think is right? Besides the people on this board weren't all there when going for the grant was passed. Some of them were just elected on the program they were going to set things straight guess they didn't jump fast enough.
The truth is the Town will still be there if these bridges aren't replaced. Do you think by replaceing these bridges people will rush to town to build stores, or bring manufactoring jobs to town? Really?
Parker said something at the workshop about this not having to go to a referendom fot the people to vote on. I didn't hear just what he said but I hope he isn't saying this can be done without a vote, that would be just wrong wrong.
think

Utica, NY

#76 May 18, 2012
By replacing these bridges we have less cars entering and leaving Rte 28. Traffic hazzard prevented!
By replacing these bridges we have a chance to perhaps save someone life because of distances around the bridges that can cost time to get to emergency's vs. time saved by across them?
Winter time, the snowmobilers would have to use Rte 28 again, to get into town.
To me these are hazards, and could be life threatening hazards to someone in serious need.That could will be the case if there is nothing done with the bridges.
They are unsafe! In 2 years they will NOT be repairable, and then even snowmobiles should not cross. Liability claims could cost more than the least expensive alternative we have been offered to rebuilding those bridges.
Think about these things!!
Our Town Board should be able to do what a private resident did........shop around and find the best job for the best price for the BEST TREASURE THIS TOWN HAS, IT'S TWIN BRIDGES.
BORN HERE

United States

#77 May 18, 2012
The fire department hasn't been able to use those bridges for ove 40 years and as far as I know they haven't lost any lives in that time because of the time going arround.
Snowmobiles aren't allowed to travel across the bridge on 28. If the double bridges were closed the snowmobile club would have to get permissiom from Boonville to use the bridge across the Black River at Edmuns Road.
If you are so worried about liability on the Town and County then why are the bridges on the old Meekerville road still being used?
If they are the best treasure this town has that is putting a low value on the town as a whole.
You say in two years they will not be repairable, are you saying they are repairable now
on and on

Utica, NY

#78 May 19, 2012
These discussions could go on and on.
If none of you care..........so be it
This only highlights the deterioration of the community. There will be NEW soon....but it won't be what you all think it is going to be.
Self serving people are just that...SELF SERVING.
Mr. Sneed has no hidden agenda as I see it, but there
are those who will not do anything, unless it is to their benefit, and so cannot let this happen. The spotlight will shift to something else soon.
Then maybe all of this will make sense to you all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Forestport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hughes hardware,Going out of buisness sale. 4 hr concerned 25
great american! (Sep '08) 6 hr Brenda 79
women be warned of TIM BELLAIR 7 hr miss piggie 324
Boonville ava highway dept 12 hr Wrong 2
Your Facebook will destroy your marriage ! 20 hr Thankful 24
Shannon conway farr 21 hr Know what 6
DunkinDonuts Wed DonutGal 5

Forestport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance