First Prev
of 2
Next Last
bob gladitsch

Highland, NY

#1 Jul 23, 2009
why isnt paul bertrams sister barbara not mention in his obituary as well as the father&mothers obituary
kaye hyland nekathy brown

Tuckerton, NJ

#2 Jan 20, 2011
I just happen to find this site. My family came to Bertram's Lodge throughout my childhood. My parents were great friends of Arthur and Julie's and my brother Don and myself played with Paul and Barb every summer. They had known each other when they were dating. My parents spent their honeymoon at the Lodge. I just found out a few years ago that both Paul and Barb have died. I last saw Uncle Arthur at my Dad's funeral in Florida. They used to get together there as the Bertrams lived in Deerfield Beach. I often think of moving there as my memories are so sweet of the summers spent there-who could forget Aunt Clara!! Barb and Peter Sulzbach and I used to roam the woods and swim/fish for hours on end. I have no idea where this is going but I hope to hear from Bob as to his memories and any new info he may have. I had written a letter to Barb not knowing she had died and received an e-mail from daughter, Dawn who lives @ GlenSpey as I recall. I visited about 4 years ago and was so disapointed by the clearing of the land and how open the area around the Lodge was. No longer the wonderful aroma of pine..... Wouldn't it be wonderful to have the Lodges back again? I've never done this type of thing but would love to hear from anyone connected with Highland Lake/Bertram's.-Kaye
Bob Gladitsch

Highland, NY

#3 Feb 16, 2011
bob gladitsch wrote:
why isnt paul bertrams sister barbara not mention in his obituary as well as the father&mothers obituary
Kaye, can you answer the above question with out hurting anyones feelings. BOB

Tuckerton, NJ

#4 Feb 17, 2011
Dear Bob,
Thanks for the reply, but to answer your question....I had not been in touch with any of the Bertram's or Barb for years as marriage and children took priority. It was only after I tried to get in touch with Barb and her daughter, Dawn answered it, did I find out that they were all gone-what a shock.
The only thing I know is that she died of cancer from her smoking habit. I don't know why she wasn't mentioned in the above obits. I went up there and talked with the McKechnie's who have a summer home next to DeerHead Inn(which their son now owns) and got no further info.-Kaye
Bob Gladitsch

Highland, NY

#5 Feb 17, 2011
kaye hyland nekathy brown wrote:
Dear Bob,
Thanks for the reply, but to answer your question....I had not been in touch with any of the Bertram's or Barb for years as marriage and children took priority. It was only after I tried to get in touch with Barb and her daughter, Dawn answered it, did I find out that they were all gone-what a shock.
The only thing I know is that she died of cancer from her smoking habit. I don't know why she wasn't mentioned in the above obits. I went up there and talked with the McKechnie's who have a summer home next to DeerHead Inn(which their son now owns) and got no further info.-Kaye
I was hopeing Peter from Sand Beach would see my post and put some light on the subject.I also herd she died from a smoking habit,which almost took my life.I quit the night of my heart attack. I hope someone would see this post and put some light on Barbs tragic ending.
Jim_ mack

Tacoma, WA

#6 Mar 4, 2011
I am the McManus kid. You are more likely to remember Dot and Ed Dixon.(my mother Dot) I worked at the lodge for many summers and was just a odd job guy. However I went fishing with Bob many, many years. I also was very friendly with Barbara years before she married Bob and she was a waitress back in the day. If I remember there was another server that worked with her named Peggy. She was the daughter of a couple that went there every year and we were in love.(lol) I was eight and she was seventeen.

Elsey Al & John..........Bingo and the Jewish couple that when they didn't get their number called, they would say "NO GOODSKI"
I just happen to find this site. My family came to Bertram's Lodge throughout my childhood. My parents were great friends of Arthur and Julie's and my brother Don and myself played with Paul and Barb every summer. They had known each other when they were dating. My parents spent their honeymoon at the Lodge. I just found out a few years ago that both Paul and Barb have died. I last saw Uncle Arthur at my Dad's funeral in Florida. They used to get together there as the Bertrams lived in Deerfield Beach. I often think of moving there as my memories are so sweet of the summers spent there-who could forget Aunt Clara!! Barb and Peter Sulzbach and I used to roam the woods and swim/fish for hours on end. I have no idea where this is going but I hope to hear from Bob as to his memories and any new info he may have. I had written a letter to Barb not knowing she had died and received an e-mail from daughter, Dawn who lives @ GlenSpey as I recall. I visited about 4 years ago and was so disapointed by the clearing of the land and how open the area around the Lodge was. No longer the wonderful aroma of pine..... Wouldn't it be wonderful to have the Lodges back again? I've never done this type of thing but would love to hear from anyone connected with Highland Lake/Bertram's.-Kaye
Jim_ mack

Tacoma, WA

#7 Mar 4, 2011
Yes.................

Absecon, NJ

#8 Mar 5, 2011
Bob-
When you mention Peter from Sand BEach- do you mean Peter Sulzbach? He lived closer to Uncle Arthur's bar down by the Catholic Church. HIs mother Dot was a teacher. He ended up with a thriving fishing/boat rental/bait business out of the house. Do you rmember him? I don't think he had anything to do with Sand Beach.
Jim-
Was Dot a housekeeper at the Lodge? if so I do remember her, If so she was a very sweet person. I think I also remember the waitress you mentioned but there were so many waitresses that passed through there throughout my life!! Do you remeber Marge and Bill who used to live in a cottage across the street and down towards the Church? Also the little post office in the front of a home as I remember it-Kaye; I also seem to remember a couple that used to come every year and bring a Collie dog with them. Did you have to answer to Aunt Clara? I'll bet she was a strict boss!!-Kaye
Bob Gladitsch

Highland, NY

#9 Mar 5, 2011
Bob-
When you mention Peter from Sand BEach- do you mean Peter Sulzbach? He lived closer to Uncle Arthur's bar down by the Catholic Church. HIs mother Dot was a teacher. He ended up with a KAYthriving fishing/boat rental/bait business out of the house. Do you rmember him? I don't think he had anything to do with Sand Beach.
Jim-
Was Dot a housekeeper at the Lodge? if so I do remember her, If so she was a very sweet person. I think I also remember the waitress you mentioned but there were so many waitresses that passed through there throughout my life!! Do you remeber Marge and Bill who used to live in a cottage across the street and down towards the Church? Also the little post office in the front of a home as I remember it-Kaye; I also seem to remember a couple that used to come every year and bring a Collie dog with them. Did you have to answer to Aunt Clara? I'll bet she was a strict boss!!-Kaye
Kay, Peter from sand beach,has been a local resident as were his family for as long as I can remember. Peter Sulzback and I used to compete in the under water swim at sand beach.I don't who used to win maybe some day I'll run into Peter at the lake and go over the tapes=ha=ha.I used to go to the Catholic church next to Joe MULANS BAR which IM sad to say is closed.KAY, I can go on for hours about my memeries of highland lake.Ill be 73 this July

Absecon, NJ

#10 Mar 6, 2011
Bob,
I feel the same way about Highland Lake-they are my most precious memories. Have you been there lately? The Bar is just about falling down upon itself and it is so sad to see what now remains of my memories. All those beuatiful pines around Bertram's Lodge have been removed and that wonderful smell of pine just isn't there anymore. Remember the red clay road that led you to the Lake? And all the deer that would be meandering in the road? I heard from the McKechnie's that Peter S. had moved to Florida years ago- is that right? The Peter you spoke about at Sand Beach is another Peter, right? We used to go to the Catholic church as well, and would always take Barbara with us and she used to laugh at the Latin. I remember having ice cream cones in the little area on the other side of the bar and how good that bar used to smell. I remember playing pool at the firehouse with Barb as well. I can remember her wedding day and the reception at the Lodge after the ride down the mountain to the Church where she was married. Are they buried near the Lake or are they all somewhere in florida? It's great beingable to share these memories with all of you-Kaye

Absecon, NJ

#11 Mar 6, 2011
By the way, Bob.,
I just happen to look back at our notes and you are identified as being from Lynbrook. I lived in Freeport during most of the time that I was going to Highland Lake.
Went to High Sachool at St agnes in Rockville Center as well. When I was in College we moved to Manhasset and from there I married and moved to Pa. as I went to College in Pa. Throughout all this time, we spent our summers at the Lake-just thought I'd let you know what a small world!-Kaye
Bob Gladitsch

Highland, NY

#12 Mar 6, 2011
By the way, Bob.,
I just happen to look back at our notes and you are identified as being from Lynbrook. I lived in Freeport during most of the time that I was going to Highland Lake.
Went to High Sachool at St agnes in Rockville Center as well. When I was in College we moved to Manhasset and from there I married and moved to Pa. as I went to College in Pa. Throughout all this time, we spent our summers at the Lake-just thought I'd let you know what a small world!-Kaye
Kaye= I just wrote a reply to your post but it got lost some were.BOB
Bob Gladitsch

Highland, NY

#13 Mar 7, 2011
Kaye=Peter S, & Peter From Sand Beach,Which for the life of me I can't think of his last name,are different people.I was up at the lake about 2 years ago,my uncles place Green Meadows is completly gone.I WALKED DOWN to the dock and could see sand beach,in 1957 I swam across the lake twice. Youth what a beautiful word. I have no idear where Barbara is laid to rest ,every thing is hush=hush.I heard that David & Barb were at odds with each other.My wife and I pass the area once In awile, We go to a little diner in Tyler+Hill Pa.They make good home made pies.Stay in touch.Bob
Bob Gladitsch

Highland, NY

#14 Mar 7, 2011
The name of the diner in Tyler+ Hill is Diana's Place.
Bob Gladitsch

Highland, NY

#15 Mar 8, 2011
Bob Gladitsch wrote:
Kaye=Peter S, & Peter From Sand Beach,Which for the life of me I can't think of his last name,are different people.I was up at the lake about 2 years ago,my uncles place Green Meadows is completly gone.I WALKED DOWN to the dock and could see sand beach,in 1957 I swam across the lake twice. Youth what a beautiful word. I have no idear where Barbara is laid to rest ,every thing is hush=hush.I heard that David & Barb were at odds with each other.My wife and I pass the area once In awile, We go to a little diner in Tyler+Hill Pa.They make good home made pies.Stay in touch.Bob
Kaye I miss spoke, Barbara's brother's name was Paul. You can read his obit on line.
Barbara Sweda

Saint Albans, NY

#16 Nov 1, 2011
I stayed at Bertrams from age 10 to age 14. I have wonderful summer memories of Highland Lake. Drove up there a few years ago to see what has changed. They finally took the "B" off the entrance way of the property. The church is still standing but not in very good shape. Melon's is now just an empty building waiting to be sold. Sand Beach is still there but with many changes . I met people up there and had a blast as a teenager, rowing on the lake, water skiing, fishing and swimming. I will never forget the place. I do remember Barbara, I have a pic of her in my album. I was young and don't remember specific names and faces. Thanks for the memories.
Bob Gladitsch

Highland, NY

#17 Nov 3, 2011
Barbara Sweda wrote:
<quoted text> I stayed at Bertrams from age 10 to age 14. I have wonderful summer memories of Highland Lake. Drove up there a few years ago to see what has changed. They finally took the "B" off the entrance way of the property. The church is still standing but not in very good shape. Melon's is now just an empty building waiting to be sold. Sand Beach is still there but with many changes . I met people up there and had a blast as a teenager, rowing on the lake, water skiing, fishing and swimming. I will never forget the place. I do remember Barbara, I have a pic of her in my album. I was young and don't remember specific names and faces. Thanks for the memories.
It sort of gives me goose bumps,I was up around the lake recently and parked my car in front of Joe Melon's he was a real quite guy,very seldom would Joe crack a smile and many nights I would fall asleep in my car right wear Im parked now and the next morning his wife would wake me and offer me a cup of coffee.They were great people and your right to say thanks for the memories.The people who owned the boarding houses made those memories .Thanks for sharing.
Lili Coletto

Riverview, FL

#18 Nov 4, 2011
I spent some vacation time at green meadows in the 50's and 60's. green meadows belonged to my aunt Anna(Millie) and Uncle Charley. Aunt Anna is my mothers sister. How are you related to uncle charlie?
Bob Gladitsch

Highland, NY

#19 Nov 6, 2011
Dear Mrs Coletto I have tried to send a reply to your post 7 times but it never goes through.
Bob Gladitsch

Highland, NY

#20 Nov 6, 2011
I see this one went through Ill keep trying.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Forestburgh Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Top Hill Day Camp/Kauneonga/White Lake Reunion (Aug '06) Jan '16 Bethel Clerk 146
Section 8 controversy (Jun '15) Oct '15 Bozo 5
welfare troll (Sep '15) Sep '15 And so it is 1
News Tristin M. Buckstad (Jan '14) Aug '15 tjbuckstad-russo 2
Eazy (Jul '15) Jul '15 Curious 1
green meadows (Jul '12) Jun '15 Bob G 9
adoption searching for information Kevin Michae... (Nov '13) Jun '15 Mccmahoney 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Forestburgh Mortgages