Arrest ordered in Vt. same-sex parent custody case

There are 2 comments on the Feb 23, 2010, Lowell Sun story titled Arrest ordered in Vt. same-sex parent custody case. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

A Vermont judge has ordered the arrest of a woman who has refused to turn over her 7-year-old daughter to her former lesbian partner.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mamerica

Wilmington, MA

#21 Feb 25, 2010
SIN wrote:
I can't believe how ignorant you people can be yet you're reading whats going on in todays world. Its a new day. Gay people can marry and have children. Someone might as well do it since the ones bad mouthing gays arent adopting parent-less babies. Both these women love this child its apparent, but the other women doesnt know how to handle the situation (i imagine its extremely hard.) So she runs off... It isnt about who wears the "pants," they both want to care for this child but they cant work as a couple. Its sad to read about.
The real birth mother should have the baby.
Seriously

Lowell, MA

#22 Feb 25, 2010
Mamerica wrote:
<quoted text>
The real birth mother should have the baby.
So should the "real" birth mother have rights to the child if she is abusive/neglectful? What if the biological mother is not taking care of the child... think about it. What is "real" is very subjective, and biology does not necessitate what is best for the child.

You are wading into gray areas and trying to fit them into black and white paradigms. Families are made up in many different ways. Some men can't produce sperm and therefore their wives use a sperm donor to have a child. Does that make that man any less the father? If the couple splits up, should he lose all rights to that child?

What about couples who use surrogate birth mothers? Does that mean the birth mother is the "real mother" and not the woman whose egg is implanted within her?

If people focused less on trivial issues that are actually none of their business, and more on important ones, such as is the child loved and well-cared for, we'd have less problems in the world.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Forest Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
pissed off wife Apr 25 family friend 3
Jefferson Forest High School basketball coach Apr 23 jcarter 3
Fasting To Lose Weight Apr 16 Trusty 2
News Train Slams Young Couple on Virginia Trestle Apr 11 Barbara Fox 3
Alter Ego on timberlake Rd (Jun '13) Apr 11 Barbara Fox 11
News Racial Justice Week Kicks Of In Lynchburg Apr 7 Germaine 1
Late night discreet sexting (Nov '13) Apr 4 tony stark 6
More from around the web

Forest People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE