Crafton Hills College's accredidation...

Crafton Hills College's accredidation is on probation

There are 19 comments on the Redlands Daily Facts story from Jul 28, 2009, titled Crafton Hills College's accredidation is on probation. In it, Redlands Daily Facts reports that:

Crafton Hills College is on probation for allegedly failing to meet designated standards for community and junior colleges.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Redlands Daily Facts.

TeeKay

Yucaipa, CA

#1 Jul 28, 2009
I've read this paragraph four times now and it still doesn't make sense:

"Richard David Boyle, co-chair of the Forest Falls-based Teachers for a Change organization, said the community college will likely not be able to address the ACCJC's concerns in October have the probation lifted."

Where did the Redlands Daily Facts get their reporters, proofreaders and editors? The local middle school? This is NOT the first article I've seen written poorly. And people ask why I don't subscribe to the hard-copy version of the paper!
Skeptical

Redlands, CA

#2 Jul 28, 2009
Since Boyle's wife was let go when a program was closed and he plans to run for the Board of Governors, it doesn't seem like he would give the most objective evaluation.
Larry Scott

AOL

#3 Jul 28, 2009
Skeptical wrote:
Since Boyle's wife was let go when a program was closed and he plans to run for the Board of Governors, it doesn't seem like he would give the most objective evaluation.
I get that feelng reading this article also, guy sounds like he has an agenda.....we do not need this type on any committee.
J9MS

Agoura Hills, CA

#4 Jul 28, 2009
Attained my AA degree at Pasadena City College, my BA at Cal State Northridge. PCC vs Crafton Hills (where I have taken several classes) like a first class steakhouse vs a buger joint. Sorry, but true.
ACrowley

Redlands, CA

#5 Jul 29, 2009
I agree that this issue is an important one, however, from what I have seen of the report (it is available on their website) the issues with accreditation have little or nothing to do with the quality of teaching. I also have attended several community colleges and I thought Crafton's courses were excellent and challenging in comparison, with the added bonus of a sense of community. I wish them nothing but luck and am certain they will pull through this and meet the necessary requirements.

One last tidbit, I don't know who Richard Boyle or Teachers for a Change is, but his opinions seem suspect and highly biased. Just my opinion.
Doctor Hugh Jass

Yucaipa, CA

#6 Jul 30, 2009
J9MS wrote:
Attained my AA degree at Pasadena City College, my BA at Cal State Northridge. PCC vs Crafton Hills (where I have taken several classes) like a first class steakhouse vs a buger joint. Sorry, but true.
I attened PCC and I agree. Great school. I took an ethics class at CH because I lacked 3 units for my BS. The teacher was a liberal pothead who kept denying that he smoked pot.

I got an A, my 3 units, and my BS from a university.
I prefer Chaffey any day over Valley or CH.
Richard David Boyle

Yucaipa, CA

#7 Jul 30, 2009
As the co-chair of Teachers for a Change, I would like to respond to some of the comments of readers. CHC shut down an excellent infant care program in 2004, illegally taking $25000 in state grants meant for childcare, yet wastes $800,000 on trips to Hawaii and hiring a "consultant" who brags about writing for Ezone and Busiz magazines (whatever they are) and will hit the taxpayers for $332,000 to advise on how to run a good college. If I have an agenda, it is as a homeowner in Forest Falls I am fed up with my tax dollars being wasted. Check out our website: www.teachersforachange.com To those who say PCC is a better school, I agree. Why can't we do it here also. PS I taught film at USC, Stanford and Crafton Hills, until they decided to cut it out there. They spent $5000 for "Evil Twin Booking Agency" but fire good teachers who make less than that. Does that make sense?
Richard David Boyle
okie dokie

San Bernardino, CA

#8 Jul 30, 2009
This guy and his mail-order bride are freaks.
MTZ

Highland, CA

#9 Aug 1, 2009
CHC is on probation? And this is a surprise?

EVHS and RHS both have higher standards than CHC.
Richard David Boyle

Yucaipa, CA

#10 Aug 1, 2009
To Okie Dokie in Murrieta, I don't mind being called a "freak" I have been called worse, but frankly to call my wife a "mail order bride" is simply not true. Eufracia left her village in the Philippines at age 13, paid her way through school on her own and I met her there and we have been married 15 years. It is frankly a racial slur to assume all those who come from abroad are "mail order brides." My wife has been a teacher, a court translator for the DA and now owns a coconut plantation in Samar, and was a newspaper reporter, she is certainly not a "freak."
El Gaupo

Alhambra, CA

#11 Aug 1, 2009
okie dokie wrote:
This guy and his mail-order bride are freaks.
Heard some criminal who runs buses off the road flunked out of CHC and is very bitter about it.
Richard David Boyle

San Bernardino, CA

#12 Aug 2, 2009
To El Gaupo, Redlands. regarding Okie Dokie who thinks all married overseas women are "mail order brides," wrote "Heard some criminal who runs buses off the road flunked out of CHC and is very bitter about it." Part of our campaign is to crack down on reckless drivers, especially bus and truck drivers. We are proud to say the Redlands Police and CHP and indeed cracking down on "rouge" drivers who killed 332 innocent passangers and hundreds of others last year. Redlands PD finally has a trucking compliance officer and last month cited two reckless truck drivers, keeping our streets safer. Keep up the good work, law enforcement men and women.
Kris

Oxnard, CA

#13 Aug 3, 2009
I wonder if the writer of the article went to Crafton Hills College - or ANY college, for that matter. Even the title of the article isn't spelled correctly. It's "accreditation" not accrediDation...even the spell check on this forum picked up the error!
Kris

Oxnard, CA

#14 Aug 3, 2009
Skeptical wrote:
Thank you! I couldn't agree more.
Concerned

Redlands, CA

#15 Aug 5, 2009
So, is there a copy of Boyle's report available somewhere online? I would like to see his supporting facts and what he sent. Apparently this is an important issue and need to understand all viewpoints before choosing "sides".
Nick Sweeney

San Diego, CA

#16 Aug 7, 2009
While it may be that the Boyles have an agenda, we should all try to be responsible in how we treat one another. Differences of opinions are always there, but that is not a reason to make unwarranted comments about people.

Additionally, any school may have certain situations where they fall out of compliance with accreditation standards. Teachers change. Administrators change and funding changes. One person can make or break a CC program. It does not seem likely the college would "fire good teachers and hire bad teachers." This would not offer a lot of job security to the administration if this was true. I would tend to cut them a little slack. I think they could turn this around.

PS While the writing isn't perfect, I happen to know there are some wonderful people who work at the Facts. I'll keep my subscription with them.
Richard David Boyle

San Bernardino, CA

#17 Aug 10, 2009
Readers posting to this forum seem evenly divided, between those who blame the messenger, claiming we have an agenda, and those willing to see more evidence. On 8/06/09 the formeman of the San Bernardino Grand Jury "assigned our complaint to a committee for futher review." Another agency, the Fair Political Practices Commission is also investigating election fraud in the Nov.4, 2008 election for Board of Governors.

We presented to both agencies a 32 pg. report documenting waste in spending, similar to the hiring of cronies, fraud and corruption uncovered by last year's Grand Jury study of the Assessor's office, which led to arrests.

Mark Snowwhite, editor of Crafton Hills self study report, wrote to this newspaper that our charge that the Crafton Hills College wastes money has no basis in fact. We presented evidence in the auditor's report that in the last two years the district spent over a million dollars for travel to Hawaii and Myrtle Beach resorts, yet cut the badly needed infant care program, costing $98,000.

They gave $5000 to "Evil Twin Booking Agency," and spent over $7000 for a party at the Hilton for child development administrators. Worst of all they are spending up to $330,000 to hire a consultant who writes for peroiodicals nobody, including the college president, ever hear of, while cutting out ten badly needed sections.

As for Mr. Snowhite's assertions of teacher qualification, I have spoken with him about poor teachers who got terrible evaluations from students, but were kept, while good teachers, such as a great deaf sign language teacher was "fired" to hire a hearing, less qualified instructor, in violation of the ADA. It is all in our report to the Grand Jury and Accrediting Commission.

The real problem is there are no student evaluations, such as at USC and Stanford where I taught as a film professor. Crafton Hills College needs student evaluations of teachers and they need to slash the waste in spending before they cut classes and raise fees for hard pressed students in this bad economic climate.

We plan to update our website: www.teachersforachange.com in the near future with progress reports about the Grand Jury and FPPC investigations. It is up to you, the readers and voters in 2010 to decide if it us, or the administration, that is "seriously distoring" the truth about conditions that led to Crafton Hills probationary status.

As for my agenda, yes I have one. Our 18 month old grand baby is a good dancer, singer and now becoming a photographer, even learning sign from Marlee Matlin videos. It is my desire that when little Brookie grows up she will have the opportunity to go to one of the finest community colleges in California, if she so desires.
Dan

Beaumont, CA

#18 Aug 16, 2010
CHC is a bad school plagued with bad teachers! student's failing all the time, proven by records! HORRID MATH PROGRAM. take any math class and see who's been there before. repeating courses, waisting time and money. begging, pleading for help all to be turned away and failed. these lazy teachers gotta go!!!
David

Universal City, CA

#19 Sep 12, 2010
I disagree with Dan. The math program is not bad at all. If someone is repeating a course, it's most likely because they did not put in the effort to pass the class.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Forest Falls Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Perv & Protect: What is your teen Explorer doin... Thu JonathanKaminsky 2
Some studies estimate that alcoholism afflicts ... Thu JamesGenovese 1
Domestic violence rates in police families is 2... Thu SeanMcElwee 1
You donít protect my freedom: Our childish insi... Thu DavidMasciotra 1
Haskell Slum Lords Wed girlgeek 2
Master Gardeners Open House (Oct '14) Oct '14 donajenkins 1
Election Who do you support for Fontana Unified School D... (Oct '10) Sep '14 James 51
More from around the web

Forest Falls People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]