Columbia Mall Faces Foreclosure

Columbia Mall Faces Foreclosure

There are 13 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from Mar 21, 2007, titled Columbia Mall Faces Foreclosure. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

Midtown at Forest Acres, nestled in the heart of the Forest Acres community, may soon be gone, which worries Wade Davis.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

Outraged

Vance, SC

#6 Mar 22, 2007
Sad situation...But maybe the new owners will do something with the property to draw betters stores and more customers!
Lonewolf

Leesville, SC

#8 Mar 22, 2007
Too bad,it was a beautiful mall after they renovated it several years ago.So much for urban redevelopment.
Columbia Mother

Columbia, SC

#10 Mar 22, 2007
I am 61 years old. Does anyone besides me miss the good old days when Richland Mall was first built? It was in '60 or so and they had an awful time establishing a foundation because it was located on top of quinine springs. The shopping was so good back then: White's (no, not "J.B." White), Berry's, Woolworth's, Sylvans, Baubles 'n' Things, Merry's Records, Gerald's Shoe Repair, a great little popcorn store and a Winn Dixie. You could park beside the store you were going to and get in and get out without a problem. The parking lots were roped off for fireworks and cheerleading competitions preceding Sportsarama. The Mall Association bought ads in the high school annuals and the stores ran specials for A.C. Flora graduates. AND THEN some group from Australia bought the mall and nothing has been the same since. I had to laugh at the bruhaha over The Shops at Sandhills because they are just like Richland Mall used to be, except on a much grander scale. I sure hope someone with a LOT of money will step in to rescue the mall - I'd hate to see it crumble away.

marion

Columbia, SC

#11 Mar 22, 2007
that will hurt and lot of people
that love to shop keep it open.
thank you?
SHELDON

Orangeburg, SC

#12 Mar 22, 2007
GOOD...................
innocent bystander

Suwanee, GA

#13 Mar 22, 2007
WA-WA-WA! MOVE YOUR BUSINESS TO ANY OTHER AREA, AND YOU'LL PROBABLY SEE AN INCREASE IN YOUR BUSINESS.

THIS MALL IS TIRED AND NEEDS SERIOUS RE-DEVELOPMENT BY A COMPANY WITH THE FINANCIAL RESOURCES TO DO IT.
Tah-Wuh

Little River, SC

#14 Mar 22, 2007
I hate to see it go but the only mall that actually has good stores is Columbiana. Unfornuately Columbia "Place" was taken over...

I would love to see stores such as Sephora and top knotch clothing stores. Finally we're getting a Coach, Delias, and Bebe in Columbiana. I used to have to order online now it's going to be fun actually feeling what I'm going to buy first. We definitely need to step up our retail like Charlotte and Atlanta. They have everything! What do we got? Thank goodness one good mall. At least they are trying to get good retailers in that sell quality bags, shoes and clothes.
Shop Girl

Hendersonville, NC

#15 Mar 22, 2007
Columbia Mother is right... I am in my 20's but remember going with my grandparents to Woolworth when it was outside. I've been shopping there practically since I was born. My first job was at Richland Mall... It's really sad to see it go down like this! I miss the Dillard's... it was the best in Columbia... Columbiana is to far and Columbia Mall has serious safety issues.
Please
Outraged

Vance, SC

#16 Mar 22, 2007
Tah-Wuh wrote:
I hate to see it go but the only mall that actually has good stores is Columbiana. Unfornuately Columbia "Place" was taken over...
I would love to see stores such as Sephora and top knotch clothing stores. Finally we're getting a Coach, Delias, and Bebe in Columbiana. I used to have to order online now it's going to be fun actually feeling what I'm going to buy first. We definitely need to step up our retail like Charlotte and Atlanta. They have everything! What do we got? Thank goodness one good mall. At least they are trying to get good retailers in that sell quality bags, shoes and clothes.
I totally agree! I moved here from Atlanta and was disgusted with the malls!
lemanuel neals

Columbia, SC

#17 Mar 22, 2007
The mall needs better stores,if not it needs to close down forever.
BIGG REDD

Columbia, SC

#18 Mar 22, 2007
Yes yes yes close it down,that mall really don't offer anything.
Dominick

Columbia, SC

#19 Mar 22, 2007
i think that richland fashion mall was a beautiful mall but there are a couple of things that need to be corrected about that mall.1.)not enough stores. 2.)the mall is mostlt for older and settled people. 3.)its not moved up with time. South Carolina needs to move all of there malls up with time and make it convient for everybody.Putting homes above the mall is a waste of time .why shall u close a mall thats very quiet? just(UPDATE) it and they will make more money.
Mall user

Suwanee, GA

#20 Mar 28, 2007
There's no doubt that the constant and slow departure of stores over the years is a bad thing. For me, however, the worst thing that Richland Mall ever did was to close off the upstairs food court area. That was such a unique area, and to me it is the one event that really signalled the decline of the entire mall. It cut off so much usable space, and it was unlike anything else around, with the large windows looking out over beautiful Forest Acres. I have so many good memories of enjoying that space, and I really miss it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Forest Acres Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bob Richards Nissan in North Augusta, SC. Racis... Mar 17 Yeahitstrue 2
News Woman pleads guilty to murders (Jul '07) Mar 17 Butcat 383
News Man Drowns in Myrtle Beach Pool (Jun '07) Mar 12 Beachlover55 11
Horrible Roads (Aug '16) Mar 12 Citizen 8
News Minister Facing Charges Involving Teens (Feb '08) Mar 9 Anonymous 22
holy temple church of the lord jesus christ of ... (Mar '13) Mar 8 Alonzo 2,055
South Carolina Lady Gamcocks Mar 4 True Blue 1

Forest Acres Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance