Remembering Steve Cannon

There are 18 comments on the Apr 7, 2009, TwinCities.com story titled Remembering Steve Cannon. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Twin Cities radio and media folks shared their thoughts about longtime WCCO radio personality Steve Cannon, who died Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#1 Apr 7, 2009
One of US, and there will never be another one like him. Thank you Morgan for a great run, you will be missed
TiVo Girl

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Apr 7, 2009
I grew up listening to him on the radio in the kitchen. Mom would have him on while she would make dinner, then we'd half-listen to him in the background while we ate. I remember thinking that Ma Linger, Morgan Mundane and Backlash Larue were real people. It was certainly much more interesting than the crap that's on the radio nowadays, which is why I no longer listen to radio.

I eventually had the opportunity to work with Steve's daughter at a social service agency. She was the spitting image of him.

It's too bad the article doesn't give any more information, like his age and cause of death.
Gene Frisk

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Apr 7, 2009
When Steve was on KSTP I would listen while getting dressed in the morning and then on the way to work.
When he got to 'CCO' I would listen on the drive home or when I was on the road. More recently, hearing him has been limited to a few moments on Saturday mornings when Morgan would do his prognostications. I will miss him/them dearly.
If there is an afterlife, I hope all four of them make it.
Kidd

United States

#4 Apr 7, 2009
Cannon will always be the voice of WCCO
Robert

Trempealeau, WI

#5 Apr 7, 2009
Never was, never will be another.

I'll never forget Morgan Mundane talking about what is wrong with the NFL and the pointless celebrations. He was discussing the old Purple People Eaters and said that they didn't have an or*ga*sm every time they made a tackle. I almost wet my pants it was so funny, yet I still remember it because it is so true.

I started listening occasionally when I was in Jr. High and it was probably 5 years before I figured out that it was only one guy, and it's still hard to believe.

Cannon was so knowledgeable and real about so many things. Afternoon drive was never the same after he went off the air.

Remember, he's got the money.
Mike

Saint Cloud, MN

#6 Apr 7, 2009
There won't be another Steve Cannon because radio doesn't allow it anymore. Every program director and consultant wants to have a say in your show. You reach major market radio and you pretty much get the same thing. What passes as entertainment now is people talking politics, insulting others or telling off-color jokes as part of shock radio. Cannon never had to do any of those things. And...he had you listening to the commercials, not tuning away. That is the real value of a top radio personality. It's the end of an era, and it will never come back. Mostly because at the lower levels the talent is thin, computers make announcers lazy and consultants control the content.
Bob Jones -

Woodville, WI

#7 Apr 7, 2009
There was nothing finer than the Eveleth City Band.
Byron of Green Valley AZ

Avondale, AZ

#8 Apr 7, 2009
Hey, you all forgot; "Sid's Suit City!" Never knew who was the call-in voice, but those two were a hoot!
Sad Listener

Grand Forks, ND

#9 Apr 7, 2009
Management hated him, but the public loved him. Whether you liked him or not, you never fotgot him. I remember when he did color on North Stars games, during the national anthem, you could hear him in the background, singing the anthem in that deep voice. He knew all the words, too. Rest in peace, Cannon. Thanks for all the memories.
Michael - Texas

Eureka, CA

#10 Apr 7, 2009
May the Eveleth City Dogs always bark for Steve Cannon.
For me, his drive-time show are part of my high-school afternoon memories. Even now, I hear the "Cannon Mess" theme playing in my mind. Unlike what Cannon constantly said of Mike Lynch at the end of each show, Cannon was always more than "merely adequate." He was silly, creative, entertaining and the source of many good memories. Bless you, Steve. May your spirit not be stuck wandering the streets of Hibbing.
Thanks.

“Here I come to save the Day!”

Since: Jan 09

Gothem city

#11 Apr 7, 2009
I heard the earth pig Dark star is already hitting on Ma Linger.
Thanks_Dad

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Apr 7, 2009
Hopefully the Pioneer Press posts the link below, else Google for Steve Cannon broadcaster hall of fame. The page has Cannon's last day's material and his theme song. Brings back good memories.
I agree with the posts I've seen, there never will be, or can be, another of his kind.
God Bless, may the Cannon Mess be blasting at the Pearly Gates..
http://www.museumofbroadcasting.org/Cannon.ht...
He Got The Money

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Apr 8, 2009
Goodbye Steveo, you were more then adequate. We've missed your voice talent for the last dozen years, now we will miss you.
Howard Luloff

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Apr 8, 2009
Steve Cannon was a true Twin Cities radio genius. I'll always remember his show opening with the barking dogs and the Eveleth City Band's rendition of Moia Dekla, aka What do You Mean You've Lost Your Dog. He brought life to Morgan Mundane, Ma Linger and Backlash Larue. May they all rest in peace.
John Adams

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Apr 8, 2009
Back in the 60's, my clock radio would wake me up at 5:30 am. Snow removal wasn't as efficient then as it is now. Here, was Steve Cannon telling me what he had to go through to get from his house to KSTP. He could talk about it for 20 minutes and not miss a detail. You were reminded of the old saying, "when going through hell, keep going". I always felt very refreshed. I was a truck driver and I knew my day wasn''t going to be half as bad as his..........and it never was!. Thanks, Wrangler Steve.
Roger

Ashby, MN

#17 Apr 8, 2012
Cannon had the rarest of talents that made you look forward to listening. He was genuine and it came across..unlike all the fakes and so called radio personalities nowadays. He is greatly missed, but the memories of the Cannon Mess will always live on!
Nelson

Stacy, MN

#18 Jul 4, 2013
Why can I not get a recording of "The Barking Dogs of Eveleth" to play on the internet? What am I not doing right? I love that song, and I want to share it...

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#19 Sep 9, 2013
Yes! What a mind the Cannon mess.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Forbes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hibbing Music Thread (Sep '13) Nov '14 Musikologist 6
Martial law is going on in Hibbing (Oct '14) Oct '14 Master 1
School Administrators (Oct '14) Oct '14 Sallyskater 1
Eveleth (Dec '05) Oct '14 Cathy 21
News Tulenchik sentenced in burglary, beating (Mar '08) Sep '14 His Son 9
News Watchdog: Transmission fluid change ends up cos... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Billy Bigrigger 1
News The short list (May '11) May '11 practicing Cathol... 1
More from around the web

Forbes People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]