Man Learns Touching Mountain Lion Cub...

Man Learns Touching Mountain Lion Cubs May Lead To Attack

There are 34 comments on the KNBC Los Angeles story from Aug 6, 2008, titled Man Learns Touching Mountain Lion Cubs May Lead To Attack. In it, KNBC Los Angeles reports that:

A man who was hiking at Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park said he was scratched by a mountain lion Wednesday when he petted the cougar's cubs, prompting a search for the animals and forcing the closure of the park ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KNBC Los Angeles.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Fed Up

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Aug 6, 2008
Natural selection at work. Mountain Lion is not to blame.
suzeeval

Aliso Viejo, CA

#2 Aug 6, 2008
The man was stupid to touch the cubs. Where has he been living all his life in a cave. You never touch any wildlife, especially baby animals. The authorities should not do anything to the lion and her cubs. She was doing what comes natural. I can't stand to see any wildlife pay with their life because of the stupidity of man. DO NOT KILL OR HARM THE LION AND HER CUBS.
Duh

Kernersville, NC

#3 Aug 6, 2008
What an idiot. It's one thing to enjoy animals, but you have to respect them. Now the mother will probably abandon the babies because of the scent of human on them. Two thumbs up to the idiot.

“Send 'em back, kids & all !!”

Since: Feb 08

Huntington Beach, CA

#4 Aug 6, 2008
Fed Up wrote:
Natural selection at work. Mountain Lion is not to blame.
Kudos to the mountain lion for exercising restraint. I think I knew sometime around kindergarten not to touch (new) kittens or puppies for safety reasons. I can only draw the parallels that lions and tigers might be a bit more dangerous. I wonder what experience this granola-boy thought he would gain from a moutain lion. Perhaps he thought it was his imaginary spirit animal or something. Maybe Jim Morrison? I say we give him a free vasectomy just to be safe.
Animal Lover

Dallas, TX

#5 Aug 6, 2008
I certainly hope that the lion and her cubs are left alone. I can't believe the man was stupid enough to pet cubs not thinking the mamma was near by and of course would protect her cubs. Although he may be an animal lover himself since he wanted to pet them and not harm them.
David

United States

#6 Aug 6, 2008
He's the father of the school gymnasium skateboard jumper.
It's gunna be a tight race at this years Darwin's award ceremony.
Marie

Tustin, CA

#7 Aug 6, 2008
You have got to be kidding me! This is ridiculous. What bothers me the most is this primitive reaction of people to "let's go kill the lion". This guy gets to be stupid, and the lion gets to suffer from it. Here's a little advice, if you don't want to be attacked my mountain lions don't go INTO THE MOUNTAINS! They are losing THEIR habitats thanks to humanity having an uncontrollable urge to act like bunnies. All these animals being put down needlessly for "human comfort". Whatever! I can only hope nature shows us the same kindness >:|
patricia

Valencia, CA

#8 Aug 6, 2008
I Really think the man who pet the cubs needed scratched by the mother....... he needs to be fined for disturbing the animals...while on a nature walk...so sad of a human
lfc

Los Angeles, CA

#9 Aug 6, 2008
What a DUMBF***. No wonder his name isn't being published. I feel no sympathy whatsoever for that man. He was extremely lucky he escaped with scratches. How would he like it if some random stranger "petted" his kids!
Vixen

Van Nuys, CA

#10 Aug 6, 2008
On the one hand, he should have been removed from the gene pool. But then, they would have hunted down and destroyed the mother mountain lion. Not being aware that this waste of DNA was petting her cubs, even with her nearby.
John

Manassas, VA

#12 Aug 6, 2008
How about presenting this guy with a complete Jack Ass award. Now there's a chance the mother will not care for these cubs because this Idiot handled them. Be reminded, we're invading their territory. Use precaution & be aware. But to think about destroying the Cats is completely wrong. Next time he'll probaly pet a rattle snake....Lets see how that turns out. Moron
stupid

San Diego, CA

#13 Aug 6, 2008
he deserved it. what a dummy!!!
CKW

Sacramento, CA

#14 Aug 6, 2008
As Fred Sanford (Redd Foxx) would say "You BIG Dummy!"
OC Gal

Topanga, CA

#15 Aug 6, 2008
They have no right to kill the lion. She was protecting her cubs. This man was a complete idiot.
wuwu

Irvine, CA

#16 Aug 6, 2008
What a f***ing dumba** moron. The mother was protecting her cubs. Leave animals in the wild alone, stupid s***head. You deserved what you got. He definitely should be fined for touching the cub. The mother and cubs should not be destroyed for this a**wipe's stupidity!
John

Canoga Park, CA

#17 Aug 6, 2008
Lets give this guy the award for biggest Jack Ass !! Really, did he think after seeing the mother nothing would happen. In my opinion he deseves what he got. Thank god the cat didn't kill him....if it had that would have give the authorities a reason to hunt down the Lion & I wouldn't want that. Once he recovers he'll probably go and pet a rattle snake or yell the "N" word in the middle of Compton. Absolute Idiot !! Rub Gas on your wounds Moron & see if it helps.....
David

United States

#18 Aug 6, 2008
drewski969 wrote:
<quoted text>
Kudos to the mountain lion for exercising restraint. I think I knew sometime around kindergarten not to touch (new) kittens or puppies for safety reasons. I can only draw the parallels that lions and tigers might be a bit more dangerous. I wonder what experience this granola-boy thought he would gain from a moutain lion. Perhaps he thought it was his imaginary spirit animal or something. Maybe Jim Morrison? I say we give him a free vasectomy just to be safe.
I missed this one Drewski, another great line!!!!

Although it was vulgar and I was offended.
Jackie

Temecula, CA

#19 Aug 6, 2008
I think the man is a bit "slow" and didn't know any better. Thank God the Lion didn't kill him. Hopefully, the mother cat and her cubs will also be o.k.
Hmmm

Irvine, CA

#20 Aug 7, 2008
What did he think would happen after petting the cubs? Hello?

This guy isn't a hiker. He is a bum that hangs out at the front of Whiting Ranch, asking hikers for change. My husband has seen him several times.
Duh

Kernersville, NC

#21 Aug 7, 2008
Kevin Lassiter. Finally the article posts his name. I hereby award thee the dumb sh!t award. This one's for you idiot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Foothill Ranch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: ARI Novick PHD (Feb '13) Jun 18 Edward1978 7
William steelw Jun 16 Diamond 1
Review: GreenLink Financial Jun 13 Kristina P 1
News They have gangs in south Orange County? (Dec '07) Jun 11 ajake13 130
News Feds Spend $507,132 Studying The 'Asian Ethnic ... Jun 10 SeanOsorioLee 1
Tamiya racing May 28 Pam 1
Peeping Timmy spotted in Tuscany condos (Nov '15) Nov '15 Shell81 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Foothill Ranch Mortgages