Oakwell Armory Pistol Range

Posted in the Folkston Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of236
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Ben Casey

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jun 11, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Oakwell Armory Pistol Range
The upcoming tribunal on the continued permitting of the shooting range at Oakwell Armory is being framed by the Armory as a battle for or against the 2nd Amendment rights. This is not the case. Our goal is not to take away anyone’s guns. We understand the desire to have a shooting range available in the area. Our only concern is the position of the range and the safety and well being of the persons living near it. It is also being framed as one family against the shooting range. This is also not the case. This is a fight of the people in the area for their right to not be bothered in their homes or on their property by the noise that is generated from the shooting range. It is true that we are the only family to hire lawyers in this fight, thus the tribunal has been called Casey’s versus Oakwell Armory.
If we could enjoy the peace and quiet that our family has enjoyed on this property for years we would not be embroiled in this battle. However, that is not the case. The permitted pistol range somehow has become a shooting range which allows people to shoot most any type of gun made, from AK47s to shotguns, even exploding targets.
In our quest to lower the noise level, the owner was approached and was asked if he could do anything to lower the noise. Our family only approached the county after the owner failed to work with us. Only after doing research on the permit did we find where the owner failed to meet the requirements set forth when the permit was issued. We also learned of the countly building department’s failure to enforce the conditions of the permit as well as the noise ordinance. Only after bringing to the attention of the Camden County Board of Commissioners the fact that the owner was not in compliance with the permit did the owner make any effort to meet the conditions set by the Board in the special use permit.
You may be asking yourself why the residents of mobile home park near the range have not complained. I have spoken to some and their reason for not complaining is because the owner of the park will force them to move. It so happens that the owner of the gun range is also the owner of the mobile home park. I ask that before passing judgment do the research for yourself as we did.
I was there

Kingsland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jun 11, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

the night that the commission voted to approve the range.

It was one of Steve Berry's last meetings, if not the last. He was against it. That came out in the discussion after the motion. After all had spoken, it was obvious to Berry that he was in the minority.

As a parting shot, he petulantly amended the motion to require Mr. Davis to install a high, chain link fence all the way around the perimiter of the property, outside of the high berms on three sides. Ostensibly, it was to keep curious kids from trespassing and walking into the line of fire. That was of course utterly preposterous and punitive on the part of Berry. Nonetheless, the others voted for it.

That requirement was clearly superfluous, and not in the original submitted plans. So, tell me, Mr. Casey, in the abscence of thatcostly fence, how many children have climbed the berms and walked into the line of fire to date?

I know that your family has been a major landholder in Camden for generations. I believe the same is true of Howard Davis and his family.

Why not come clean and tell us how far back the incident was between your families that I suspect is the real reason for your animus and vendatta against Mr. Davis?

Oh, and please don't drag out that BS about bullets falling like rain into the trailer park.
No one beleived it the first time and will not now.
Ben Casey

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jun 11, 2012
 

Judged:

1

I have no problem with Mr. Davis. I use to buy supplies for my farm from him when he had the feed store. I have even sent people over there to buy hunting supplies. But I can not support the gun range. No one should have to live with the noise, unless they MOVE next to an existing gun range. Not when the gun range moves into your area. As for the bullets crossing the Berms, ask the man which lives in the park who stated that on March 25th between the hours of 10am and noon three bullets crossed the Berms. This was at the BOCC meeting on April 3, 2012.
I was there wrote:
the night that the commission voted to approve the range.
It was one of Steve Berry's last meetings, if not the last. He was against it. That came out in the discussion after the motion. After all had spoken, it was obvious to Berry that he was in the minority.
As a parting shot, he petulantly amended the motion to require Mr. Davis to install a high, chain link fence all the way around the perimiter of the property, outside of the high berms on three sides. Ostensibly, it was to keep curious kids from trespassing and walking into the line of fire. That was of course utterly preposterous and punitive on the part of Berry. Nonetheless, the others voted for it.
That requirement was clearly superfluous, and not in the original submitted plans. So, tell me, Mr. Casey, in the abscence of thatcostly fence, how many children have climbed the berms and walked into the line of fire to date?
I know that your family has been a major landholder in Camden for generations. I believe the same is true of Howard Davis and his family.
Why not come clean and tell us how far back the incident was between your families that I suspect is the real reason for your animus and vendatta against Mr. Davis?
Oh, and please don't drag out that BS about bullets falling like rain into the trailer park.
No one beleived it the first time and will not now.
Did the man actually

Kingsland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jun 11, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

find and present the supposed stray bullets to the commissioners?

You have no reason to suspect the motives of a guy within hearing range of the gunfire to make up a story about stray bullets?

Did he file a police report? Has ANYONE who claims to hear or see these bullets filed a police report and made themselves liable to a charge of filing a false police report?

Let me guess: they are silent (except to you) for fear of eviction.

Question: Which do you suppose produces more income for Mr. Davis in a month, range fees or the rental of a trailer lot?
Ben Casey

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jun 11, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I don't care how much is made from either one. I have been told from three different people who live there that they fear eviction. I think most people who live there can not afford to move their mobile homes. Some are to old and the county will not let them be moved. So they are stuck there.
Have you ever shot into some woods at random then found the bullet?
So tell me

Kingsland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jun 11, 2012
 
if they are not finding bullets in the trailer park, are they claiming to hear them whizzing overhead, or what? Are they firing 155mm rounds over the trailer park that can be seen with the naked eye, or what?

My point - which apparently whizzed right over your head -is that it would run counter to Mr. Davis' financial interests to be evicting people.
Anon

Yulee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jun 11, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Okay let's get this straight. I live in the Trailer Park a block away from the range. Closer than either of the Casey homes. Do I hear shooting? Absolutely. You know what I do to avoid it? I go inside. I no longer hear it. I think this is much to do about nothing. I am not supporting Howard Davis because he's my landlord and I'm afraid I will be evicted. I pay my rent on time and follow the park rules. Therefore he would be hard pressed to find a reason to evict me. There were hearings held on this matter prior to the opening of the range and not one person from the Casey family raised an issue with it. Now after it has been opened for approximately a year or more, now its a problem. I think you all need to get over yourselves and get a life.
Ben Casey

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jun 11, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

So tell me wrote:
if they are not finding bullets in the trailer park, are they claiming to hear them whizzing overhead, or what? Are they firing 155mm rounds over the trailer park that can be seen with the naked eye, or what?
My point - which apparently whizzed right over your head -is that it would run counter to Mr. Davis' financial interests to be evicting people.
My point - is that Mr. Davis has those people between a rock and a shooting range and knows that most can not move even if they wanted to. So he will not lose renters. And he gets their silence through fear of being forced to move.
So tell me Ben

Kingsland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jun 11, 2012
 
what is your assessment of the veracity of post #7?

What concerns do you have about the possible effect of the noise on your property value?

How do you know - if indeed you claim to - that there are people there in the trailer park who would love to move because of the noise and hail of lead but can't?
Ben Casey

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jun 11, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

So you change YOUR lifestyle, that is the issue at heart. No one should have to alter their lifestyle in order for other people to shoot. I spend a great deal of time outside and only joined the fight when my right to peace and quiet was violated.
Anon wrote:
Okay let's get this straight. I live in the Trailer Park a block away from the range. Closer than either of the Casey homes. Do I hear shooting? Absolutely. You know what I do to avoid it? I go inside. I no longer hear it. I think this is much to do about nothing. I am not supporting Howard Davis because he's my landlord and I'm afraid I will be evicted. I pay my rent on time and follow the park rules. Therefore he would be hard pressed to find a reason to evict me. There were hearings held on this matter prior to the opening of the range and not one person from the Casey family raised an issue with it. Now after it has been opened for approximately a year or more, now its a problem. I think you all need to get over yourselves and get a life.
Glock

Ellerbe, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jun 11, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

this is a backdoor way of not supporting business and the 2nd amendment...as well as the free market.
Ben Casey

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jun 11, 2012
 
As for some wanting to move, that is what they told me. As for the value of my property dropping, that would only matter if I was to sell. As for Glock, just how am I taking your right to bear arms away? As for supporting his business you most not have read everything I have posted.
Ben Casey

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jun 11, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

Glock, part of a free market is the freedom not to support something as well as supporting it, thus freedom...
Let me count my noises

Kingsland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jun 11, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I live right under the pathway for passenger jets coming and going out of Jax. I also live near the St. Marys Hobby Aiport. I'm also quite accustomed to having military helicopters pass rather low over my house. Early in the morning and late at night, I can hear guys winding out crotch rockets
on both Hwy 40 and St. Marys Rd. When the wind is right, I can hear morning colors from the base. Sometimes, my neighbor's dog barks in the middle of the night. Neighbors drive my poor dog crazy with fireworks on 4th of July and New Years eve.
And yes, sometimes I even hear live firing from the base.

And yet, I've never been moved to launch a Quixotic campaign against any of those sources of noise.
ye heard

Saint Marys, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jun 11, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

Did the man actually wrote:
find and present the supposed stray bullets to the commissioners?
You have no reason to suspect the motives of a guy within hearing range of the gunfire to make up a story about stray bullets?
Did he file a police report? Has ANYONE who claims to hear or see these bullets filed a police report and made themselves liable to a charge of filing a false police report?
Let me guess: they are silent (except to you) for fear of eviction.
Question: Which do you suppose produces more income for Mr. Davis in a month, range fees or the rental of a trailer lot?
If he rents to Rick Rogers, the Shooting range, ye heard??
ye heard

Saint Marys, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jun 11, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

Let me count my noises wrote:
I live right under the pathway for passenger jets coming and going out of Jax. I also live near the St. Marys Hobby Aiport. I'm also quite accustomed to having military helicopters pass rather low over my house. Early in the morning and late at night, I can hear guys winding out crotch rockets
on both Hwy 40 and St. Marys Rd. When the wind is right, I can hear morning colors from the base. Sometimes, my neighbor's dog barks in the middle of the night. Neighbors drive my poor dog crazy with fireworks on 4th of July and New Years eve.
And yes, sometimes I even hear live firing from the base.
And yet, I've never been moved to launch a Quixotic campaign against any of those sources of noise.
you will when Bill Smith gets elected Jay, ye heard??
ye heard

Saint Marys, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jun 11, 2012
 
Let me count my noises wrote:
I live right under the pathway for passenger jets coming and going out of Jax. I also live near the St. Marys Hobby Aiport. I'm also quite accustomed to having military helicopters pass rather low over my house. Early in the morning and late at night, I can hear guys winding out crotch rockets
on both Hwy 40 and St. Marys Rd. When the wind is right, I can hear morning colors from the base. Sometimes, my neighbor's dog barks in the middle of the night. Neighbors drive my poor dog crazy with fireworks on 4th of July and New Years eve.
And yes, sometimes I even hear live firing from the base.
And yet, I've never been moved to launch a Quixotic campaign against any of those sources of noise.
you eill when Bill Smith gets elected?? ye heard??
ye heard

Saint Marys, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jun 11, 2012
 
Let me count my noises wrote:
I live right under the pathway for passenger jets coming and going out of Jax. I also live near the St. Marys Hobby Aiport. I'm also quite accustomed to having military helicopters pass rather low over my house. Early in the morning and late at night, I can hear guys winding out crotch rockets
on both Hwy 40 and St. Marys Rd. When the wind is right, I can hear morning colors from the base. Sometimes, my neighbor's dog barks in the middle of the night. Neighbors drive my poor dog crazy with fireworks on 4th of July and New Years eve.
And yes, sometimes I even hear live firing from the base.
And yet, I've never been moved to launch a Quixotic campaign against any of those sources of noise.
you will when Bill Smith gets elected, ye heard??
Ben Casey

Saint Marys, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jun 11, 2012
 
Let me count - let me invite you to come over on a Saturday and hear for yourself the amount of noise that comes from the range. Some days are not bad some days it is almost non stop from 10 am to 6 pm.
Where do you live

Kingsland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jun 11, 2012
 
relative to the range? Are you west of 17 off Vacuna or where?

First, I think I'll visit the range and fire a few courses on a Saturday..45 ACP only, no 155s.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of236
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Folkston Discussions

Search the Folkston Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 55 min rename 39,446
convicted sexual offender working for culligan ... Fri Give more info 9
Missing Waycross Woman-Nancy Stewart Wilke (Jan '09) Thu jon jon 28
What is Wrong With Teachers Thu concerned parent 2 4
Why all the yard signs Apr 16 Anon 14
kingsland adventure park Apr 16 Tax and Spend Moreno 63
Sheriff (Dec '12) Apr 15 wow 184
•••

Flood Warning for Charlton County was issued at April 19 at 10:49AM EDT

•••
•••
•••
Folkston Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Folkston Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Folkston People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••