Man, it's hot and I'm bothered

Jun 11, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Columbus Ledger-Enquirer

We are hostages in our own homes, held prisoners by Big Oil and big prices at the pump.

Comments
1 - 10 of 10 Comments Last updated Jun 16, 2008

Since: May 07

Location hidden

#1 Jun 12, 2008
Gas Prices at $4.00 a gallon makes it hard for the regulas person to just take off and go any where, like the beach, or anywhere and then buy treats, Forget anything for the kids! I think gas will be $5.00 a gallon by the 4th of July 2008. It is to the point now where some people are having to make some real tough choice's. People need to blow off steam and relax, There is no swimming pools close for kids to swim in, The one they have is to far away for kids to go to, The one at the High School is to far away, Also with the price of gas Mom and Dad I fear will not take them, I do know this! Something will have to give sooner or later, Or there will be problems for us all.
flash

Collinwood, TN

#2 Jun 12, 2008
You are right, cut back on food or outtings for the kids. You gotta eat, right. So what are we going to do? We do have a park, but it's so hot out there with no trees. The river is full of alligators and there is no place to swim. At least in the old days there was always some place to swim and cool off.
Dealing with it

Columbus, GA

#3 Jun 12, 2008
Get to know your family, do things in the early morning and evening. Did they have AC and trips to the beach 70-80 years ago? Ask your grandparents how to do it.
I am glad for the gas prices even as much as it hurts me and my wallet but now I am doing like i should have been doing: Car pooling, riding a bike, walking, I just hope someday this crazy state puts in some real public transportation like high speed rail and something like a subway (elevated most likely) Besides the less oil we use the less money our enemies in the middle East, Asia, South America and Africa get

“Give Me Liberty Not Security”

Since: Jan 08

Titusville, Florida USA

#4 Jun 12, 2008
The plus side to the higher gas prices: most of the 4 wheelers are no longer tearing down our dirt road at all hours of the day and night. Awww, peace and quiet is back in the country again.

Just a suggestion: to help save money on gas, I would recommend purchasing a Kawasaki Ninja 250 motorcycle. It sips gas at 75 mpg highway. They only cost about $3,499 new. They're cheaper than a scooter and can keep up with traffic.

Location hidden

#5 Jun 12, 2008
redbirdacres wrote:
The plus side to the higher gas prices: most of the 4 wheelers are no longer tearing down our dirt road at all hours of the day and night. Awww, peace and quiet is back in the country again.
Just a suggestion: to help save money on gas, I would recommend purchasing a Kawasaki Ninja 250 motorcycle. It sips gas at 75 mpg highway. They only cost about $3,499 new. They're cheaper than a scooter and can keep up with traffic.
Just beware!!! Most people do not look for 2 wheelers of anykind!! I know I used to ride a Motorcycle, After being rear ended the third time my wife thought it would be best for me to give it up while i was still alive. Even now if you lieston to the scanner in our town there are more wrecks with people hitting bike riders, It is not the bike riders fault! People in cars and trucks just do not look for the people on bikes and scooters. They are to busy talking on there cell phones or eating while driving.

Location hidden

#6 Jun 12, 2008
Dealing with it wrote:
Get to know your family, do things in the early morning and evening. Did they have AC and trips to the beach 70-80 years ago? Ask your grandparents how to do it.
I am glad for the gas prices even as much as it hurts me and my wallet but now I am doing like i should have been doing: Car pooling, riding a bike, walking, I just hope someday this crazy state puts in some real public transportation like high speed rail and something like a subway (elevated most likely) Besides the less oil we use the less money our enemies in the middle East, Asia, South America and Africa get
70 and 80 years ago house where built with gaint fan built in the ceilings, When you turned them on you knew it was on and it could cool the whole house down,High speed rail and subway will only work in the bigger cities, but most of Ga. is rual, and even public transportation will not work because the towns are to small and to far apart for people to support them, also most people have to have car and they can not do both,Car and public transportation. Myself when I use to go to Altanta I was not impressed with Marta... it was dirty and always late,

“I'm Your WORST Naitomea!”

Since: Jun 08

Salem

#7 Jun 12, 2008
sux
for being dumbass spenders
on going to meaningless trips
and places

man, if only we had biodiesel
then everything would be fine

Location hidden

#8 Jun 13, 2008
ANgerEDoNE wrote:
sux
for being dumbass spenders
on going to meaningless trips
and places
man, if only we had biodiesel
then everything would be fine
Biodiesel is not the anwser! because not everyone drives a diesel car or truck that runs on Biodiesel, Then comes the problem of supply to meet the demand, We can not meet the demand,Take for excample of all the flooding going on right now,our corn crops are in a major crisis now because of it in the mid west. And Sugar can not be grown fast enough here in the U.S to help us. The problem is we refuse to drill in our own country where there is plenty of oil for us to use because of people that want to save the tree or save a frog, Well I am sorry trees can grow over and over again, and frogs can be moved, It is time to drill to protect our way of life.

“Give Me Liberty Not Security”

Since: Jan 08

Titusville, Florida USA

#9 Jun 14, 2008
Tuvok wrote:
<quoted text>Just beware!!! Most people do not look for 2 wheelers of anykind!! I know I used to ride a Motorcycle, After being rear ended the third time my wife thought it would be best for me to give it up while i was still alive. Even now if you lieston to the scanner in our town there are more wrecks with people hitting bike riders, It is not the bike riders fault! People in cars and trucks just do not look for the people on bikes and scooters. They are to busy talking on there cell phones or eating while driving.
I be careful.:o)) I've been riding in many types of traffic and various weather conditions since childhood and not had any mishaps.(I'm 52 yrs old now.)'Course, I'm always aware of my surroundings too. And it pays to be highly visible.
Think about it

Columbus, GA

#10 Jun 16, 2008
MARTA is a joke and should not be confused with public transportation.

You missed the point on high speed rail.

A loop or series of loops
Atlant to Macon to Columbus to Lagrange to Atlanta

Macon to Savannah to Jacksonville to Valdosta

Agusta to Athens to Atlanta

etc..... That would help expand the rural communities access to jobs, capital, investments, home owners etc... all the while reducing costs for roads, reducing oil from evil countries and reduce pollution, it would allow more room for trucks, and might even reduce highway deaths, hell it might even reduce DUIs, would it be expensive YES, would it take a long time to build YES but the long term benefits out weight the sacrifices of today. However politicians will fight it due to lobbyists and lies!

One of the very few things Europe and the North East have done right or close to right is rail systems, but you wont find effective rail for passengers in the south.

People could work in Atlanta but live in nice communities, rural or not.

Go to braves game or Falcons, the Zoo etc... just a short train ride and maybe $20 instead of all the gas and parking and driving chaos. It would work great and major cities spread out is more of a reason for rail not less of a reason.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Folkston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 21 min Jemima 53,510
Charles Turpin Sat Trucker 1
JDA Scam Aug 29 Wondering 3
Help in Woodbine!!!!!! Aug 29 Alex 7
humpty dumpty hotel Aug 29 Danny Noonan 2
GA Who do you support for Attorney General in Geor... (Oct '10) Aug 28 Pfffft 185
Why is the paper picking on Kingslands Mayor Aug 27 Hugh 28
•••
•••
•••

Folkston Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Folkston People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••