Federal Inmates to be Housed at D. Ra...

Federal Inmates to be Housed at D. Ray James Prison

There are 32 comments on the The Florida Times Union story from Jan 15, 2010, titled Federal Inmates to be Housed at D. Ray James Prison. In it, The Florida Times Union reports that:

The state is going to have to find a new home for an estimated 1,800 prisoners held at D. Ray James Prison.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Florida Times Union.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
nicegirl

United States

#21 Jan 18, 2012
My fiancee is now there but I haven't heard anything from him.
This is his first week there. Are they not allowed to make phone calls the first week there? Do you know who does he need to contact in order to make outside phone calls. I'm worried about him.Please help.
Wife of prisoner

United States

#23 Oct 22, 2013
My husband has been there since July of 2013. Asi read these comments posted I'm surprised to say it sounds nothing like what my husband describes. Grant it the correctional officers treat the visitors like if we are prisinors ourselves. My husband tells me they are fed three times a day, are allowed to go outside to exercise, have three different TV's to watch. Sure they are locked up and can't see their lives ones and you can't email- which is a huge downfall- but he can call everyday. The amount if time he speaks depends on how much money the place on the call. He keeps busy studying and working out. I try to go at least once a month to see Jim as I live about 8 hours away (driving). From what he tells me the other prisinors are there for non violent crimes. Most everyone just wants to do their time and get out. Unfortunately the majority ate also awaiting deportation afterwards. Sometimes good people make mistakes. People should stop judging us simply because our loved ones made a mistake. Can't speak for everyone but I know my husband made a mistake and is owning up to it. Can't wait til he is back he with me and out son who misses him.
Tifanny

Bakersfield, CA

#24 Oct 29, 2013
Hi there my uncle is in transit to this prison i aas wondering how are the visits do u have to get sign some paper to get approved or can we just go and r they strict about what u wear lile on us girls no tight pants do we have to wear baggy clothes i know ive cisited state prisons and wow they r really strict on clothing we pretty much have to dress like a guy and also can they call anytime and do u no if they get to go outside and walk around the yard ?
Wife of prisoner wrote:
My husband has been there since July of 2013. Asi read these comments posted I'm surprised to say it sounds nothing like what my husband describes. Grant it the correctional officers treat the visitors like if we are prisinors ourselves. My husband tells me they are fed three times a day, are allowed to go outside to exercise, have three different TV's to watch. Sure they are locked up and can't see their lives ones and you can't email- which is a huge downfall- but he can call everyday. The amount if time he speaks depends on how much money the place on the call. He keeps busy studying and working out. I try to go at least once a month to see Jim as I live about 8 hours away (driving). From what he tells me the other prisinors are there for non violent crimes. Most everyone just wants to do their time and get out. Unfortunately the majority ate also awaiting deportation afterwards. Sometimes good people make mistakes. People should stop judging us simply because our loved ones made a mistake. Can't speak for everyone but I know my husband made a mistake and is owning up to it. Can't wait til he is back he with me and out son who misses him.
On Point

Bronx, NY

#26 Nov 19, 2013
Love your mind! You are very smart I think the same way as you.
Statistics wrote:
<quoted text>
Statistics show in most states in our country, the inmate population is between 65-80% African American. I previously worked at D.Ray James, and it was actually the first correctional facility I was employed with. We did see more assaults on Caucasian inmates. I do not know about the 15-1 race ratio (as I have not worked there in a number of years), but the largest racial population in D. Ray James was African-American. I thought D. Ray was bad until I started working at another prison. It is a cakewalk compared to Reidsville. When i worked there, the prison was poorly organized, but after working in other facilities I can honestly say that the violence was not nearly as bad as other prisons (although it was present). The most common thing we female officers had to deal with was men exposing themselves and masturbating. That's common in any prison, but there are a lot of inmates that do that to try and tick off female officers. When I started working with the "big boys" in other prisons, it was a reality shock. I got shanked, which sometimes happens no matter what kind of security precautions are taken. That being said, after the guy shanked me, I disarmed him, secured him and the weapon, and dragged his butt straight to Seg. I did my job. The worst thing going on at D. Ray I saw was actually inmate dealings (and NO it wasn't just officers. Support staff were doing it, too). Unfortunately, that is something that happens in prisons, although I DON'T understand why anyone would do that. Even with officers present at this prison and others, sometimes inmates feel the need to align themselves with groups for protection. You would think the negative aspects of prison life would deter inmates from reoffending once released. But from what were told during training, 60% or more reoffend. The lesson here? If you have been locked up then released and feel the need to complain about prison standards, that's your right. Yes there are things in corrections that may need to be modified. But if you don't want to be exposed to those same standards, DON'T BREAK THE LAW!!! The system is what it is now, and until it changes, that's what you face when you break the law. Prison isn't supposed to be a country club, a vacation, or a pleasure cruise. It's supposed to be punishment. It's that simple. For the people who say D. Ray James prison should be shut down, consider something for a moment. Consider all the people who will be left jobless in an already hurting economy. Think about all the revenue Charlton County will lose. Federal inmates mean more money, and many Federal inmates are white collar offenders. Also, if D. Ray James were closed, and the inmates were transferred and disbursed throughout the state, the already overcrowded state prison system would be over max. Overcrowding leads to officers getting hurt and killed, as well as inmates, which leads to lawsuits and people living without loved ones. It also leads to higher risk of escape due to under-staffing. It takes time to screen officers for hire, and the state simply cannot afford to pay to have as many officers as necessary if the private prisons here in Georgia are closed. The GDC is understaffed as it stands currently, and this isn't due to lack of applicants. It's due to lack of funds to pay them. Before you complain about a prison and say it should be shut down, you need to think of EVERYTHING that would happen once it is closed.
Amber

Ackerman, MS

#29 Mar 27, 2014
how do i find if an inmate is in there
tony

Rimersburg, PA

#30 Jun 6, 2014
I loved d.ray
Toya

New York, NY

#31 Jul 24, 2015
Hi my fiancÚ will be doing his time at D ray.. Under federal charges, the comments from 2010-2011 have me worrying about the facility, have anyone been there recently or knows anyone who is currently doing time there. Would love to know what it's like and if they have computer access to send emails like other federal jails... Any information about how it is now is greatly appreciated
tutina

Homestead, FL

#32 Aug 23, 2016
My husband has been there now for 8 months and he said it is very disorganized the food is not good he has been eating rice and beans everyday now for 8 months. No meat no chicken not much. The counselors are mean and really don't care. He got his hand caught on a door and he was not seeing by the medical staff for 3 days. Visits are supposed to start at 8 they actually start whenever they feel like letting you in. They treat you like dirt and if the visitation room gets filled up they refuse to open another room and start throwing people out. Most if not all inmates are from out of town so families like mine can only visit once a month but they don't care. If you are waiting to go inside there is no bathroom in the waiting area outside so you have to leave and go into town about 10 minutes away. If the guard on duty doesnt like you or is in a bad mood they will do whatever possible not to let you in. If something happens inside the prison like a fight they will lock everyone up so everyone has to pay for the mistakes of a few. I'm not sure how taking phones away exercise and recreation have to do with rehabilitating someone. Instead of helping the prisoners they are creating angry resentful people. They are racist. I'm not sure how the BOP can even spend money in this kinds of prisons which are not doing good to anyone. The GEO group is just taking money from the federal government and mistreating the prisoners. They don't offer any education or anything valuable to the prisoners.
Yup

Saint Marys, GA

#33 Sep 4, 2016
95% of this is bs...
tutina wrote:
My husband has been there now for 8 months and he said it is very disorganized the food is not good he has been eating rice and beans everyday now for 8 months. No meat no chicken not much. The counselors are mean and really don't care. He got his hand caught on a door and he was not seeing by the medical staff for 3 days. Visits are supposed to start at 8 they actually start whenever they feel like letting you in. They treat you like dirt and if the visitation room gets filled up they refuse to open another room and start throwing people out. Most if not all inmates are from out of town so families like mine can only visit once a month but they don't care. If you are waiting to go inside there is no bathroom in the waiting area outside so you have to leave and go into town about 10 minutes away. If the guard on duty doesnt like you or is in a bad mood they will do whatever possible not to let you in. If something happens inside the prison like a fight they will lock everyone up so everyone has to pay for the mistakes of a few. I'm not sure how taking phones away exercise and recreation have to do with rehabilitating someone. Instead of helping the prisoners they are creating angry resentful people. They are racist. I'm not sure how the BOP can even spend money in this kinds of prisons which are not doing good to anyone. The GEO group is just taking money from the federal government and mistreating the prisoners. They don't offer any education or anything valuable to the prisoners.
Tutina

Phoenix, AZ

#34 Sep 10, 2016
Yup wrote:
95% of this is bs...

<quoted text>
Really????? You must be one of the people who work there. because all I wrote is 100% true
jpod

Danville, KY

#35 Sep 10, 2016
My heart is aching for you. They are there because the are angry resentful thugs that cannot live in society

Tutina

United States

#36 Sep 11, 2016
jpod wrote:
My heart is aching for you. They are there because the are angry resentful thugs that cannot live in society

Believe it or not some people are there because they made a mistake my husband had no record had never been to jail is not a thug so you can not asume everyone is a thug he made a mistake he is paying for it but that does not mean that tbey have to be treated like animals. Places lije these make them animals because they are treated with no respect whatsoever and like you they asdume they are all life long criminals.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Folkston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What was the Dims tax plan? 16 hr LonePalm 4
The Roy Moore party of rapist and pedophiles 23 hr Elitist Rules 8
What is it like being a Millinial or Gen Xer Dec 9 Clueless 2
California wildfires Dec 8 Ethos 1
Trump is going down (Mar '17) Dec 3 real news 27
tax cut bill Dec 1 common sense 1
Nancy Pelosi says Nov 30 There it is 4

Folkston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance