Federal Inmates to be Housed at D. Ray James Prison

Jan 15, 2010 Full story: The Florida Times Union 26

The state is going to have to find a new home for an estimated 1,800 prisoners held at D. Ray James Prison.

Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Relieved

Social Circle, GA

#1 Jan 25, 2010
D Ray James Prison is a very volitale prison my brother was just transferred from there so if you have a loved one there be glad they are leaving full of gangs,inmates going from one building to the other,inmates belongings being stole, older inmates being beat nearly to death and nobody seem to care, and nothing i mean nothing being done about put in tranfer in november-09 jerked around contacted atlanta got the ball rolling. Counselor tried to say it got lost in mail well unbe knowing to him we had already been in contact with atlanta said no information had been requested someone not doing there job. NEEDS TO BE CLOSED
Jimmy

Kingsland, GA

#2 Jan 25, 2010
Tell you brother to stay out of prison and he won't have to worry about that stuff! Unbe knowing is not a word in english. Get your brother to transfer to reidsville and see how he does there. If he can't handle it in Folkston, he'll be sold for a pack of cigarettes in reidsville. D Ray James is a country club for prisons. Again, stay out of prison and you don't have to worry about that stuff!
Anonymous

Herndon, PA

#3 Mar 19, 2010
The prison should not have been put in Folkston in the first place. It is a black spot on the county. I heard they were going to put illegals there too. Good people that go to work there as guards cannot take what they see going on, so most of their guards are people who cannot get a job anywhere else or would fail or are psychotic and not the sharpest pencil in the can.I worry all the time about friend's children that are working there. It will take a bad incident or death before the state comes in and cleans the administration up.
sandi

Rincon, GA

#4 Apr 16, 2010
Relieved wrote:
D Ray James Prison is a very volitale prison my brother was just transferred from there so if you have a loved one there be glad they are leaving full of gangs,inmates going from one building to the other,inmates belongings being stole, older inmates being beat nearly to death and nobody seem to care, and nothing i mean nothing being done about put in tranfer in november-09 jerked around contacted atlanta got the ball rolling. Counselor tried to say it got lost in mail well unbe knowing to him we had already been in contact with atlanta said no information had been requested someone not doing there job. NEEDS TO BE CLOSED
what did your brother do to be in there anyway?? who's child did he molest? who did he rob or beat up? i have news for you. d ray is child's play. it is soft time. at least there they may not have to become someone's property to be protected. plus. d ray treats them like the children they are.
get a life

Rincon, GA

#5 May 9, 2010
Have you worked at D Ray I don't think so.so before you go running your mouth about what your brother says or you hear get your facts right.your brothe rprob got his but whipped for gambling and didn't have the money to pay his debt.If he was so scared for his life he should of went PC
Darrin

Griffin, GA

#6 Sep 26, 2010
D Ray James was only fucked up if your a whiteboy. And worse if your a whiteboy that made store. Outnumbered by blacks 15 to 1. And that's about how many would jump on you at one time. To scared to go one on one most of the time. Gotta have a possie.
Statistics

Eveleth, MN

#7 Nov 18, 2010
Darrin wrote:
D Ray James was only fucked up if your a whiteboy. And worse if your a whiteboy that made store. Outnumbered by blacks 15 to 1. And that's about how many would jump on you at one time. To scared to go one on one most of the time. Gotta have a possie.
Statistics show in most states in our country, the inmate population is between 65-80% African American. I previously worked at D.Ray James, and it was actually the first correctional facility I was employed with. We did see more assaults on Caucasian inmates. I do not know about the 15-1 race ratio (as I have not worked there in a number of years), but the largest racial population in D. Ray James was African-American. I thought D. Ray was bad until I started working at another prison. It is a cakewalk compared to Reidsville. When i worked there, the prison was poorly organized, but after working in other facilities I can honestly say that the violence was not nearly as bad as other prisons (although it was present). The most common thing we female officers had to deal with was men exposing themselves and masturbating. That's common in any prison, but there are a lot of inmates that do that to try and tick off female officers. When I started working with the "big boys" in other prisons, it was a reality shock. I got shanked, which sometimes happens no matter what kind of security precautions are taken. That being said, after the guy shanked me, I disarmed him, secured him and the weapon, and dragged his butt straight to Seg. I did my job. The worst thing going on at D. Ray I saw was actually inmate dealings (and NO it wasn't just officers. Support staff were doing it, too). Unfortunately, that is something that happens in prisons, although I DON'T understand why anyone would do that. Even with officers present at this prison and others, sometimes inmates feel the need to align themselves with groups for protection. You would think the negative aspects of prison life would deter inmates from reoffending once released. But from what were told during training, 60% or more reoffend. The lesson here? If you have been locked up then released and feel the need to complain about prison standards, that's your right. Yes there are things in corrections that may need to be modified. But if you don't want to be exposed to those same standards, DON'T BREAK THE LAW!!! The system is what it is now, and until it changes, that's what you face when you break the law. Prison isn't supposed to be a country club, a vacation, or a pleasure cruise. It's supposed to be punishment. It's that simple. For the people who say D. Ray James prison should be shut down, consider something for a moment. Consider all the people who will be left jobless in an already hurting economy. Think about all the revenue Charlton County will lose. Federal inmates mean more money, and many Federal inmates are white collar offenders. Also, if D. Ray James were closed, and the inmates were transferred and disbursed throughout the state, the already overcrowded state prison system would be over max. Overcrowding leads to officers getting hurt and killed, as well as inmates, which leads to lawsuits and people living without loved ones. It also leads to higher risk of escape due to under-staffing. It takes time to screen officers for hire, and the state simply cannot afford to pay to have as many officers as necessary if the private prisons here in Georgia are closed. The GDC is understaffed as it stands currently, and this isn't due to lack of applicants. It's due to lack of funds to pay them. Before you complain about a prison and say it should be shut down, you need to think of EVERYTHING that would happen once it is closed.
ANony

Calhoun City, MS

#8 Nov 20, 2010
You think D Ray James is rough now, just wait till those Fed Prisoners get there. I pray any guard that I know or a guard's family that I know hurry and get another job. The Private Prisons do not put enough personnel in there to handle the big boys.

I read that they are going to put in air conditioning to the Fed prisoners. No wonder the State prisoners were so cranky, with no A/C. Why does a Fed get more privileges and ammenities than a State prisoner?

I know several guards who had to quit there because it got too rough and not enough help to protect them.
anonyms

Mesquite, TX

#9 Nov 27, 2010
How do you find a inmate in D Ray James prison?
ABony

Herndon, PA

#10 Nov 28, 2010
anonyms wrote:
How do you find a inmate in D Ray James prison?
Go to the Georgia Correctional Government site. Then you will see where you can look up an inmate (inside or paraoled). All you need is their last name. 99% have pictures with their rap sheets.
help

United States

#11 Feb 17, 2011
Relieved wrote:
I'm trying to transfer my loved one out of D Ray to another facility that offered RDAP. Who did you talk to in ATL to get it started? D Ray can be retarded sometimes... you can never get anything done... everyone there doesn't know what they're doing...
bwifey

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#12 Mar 23, 2011
can someone please explain to me how the phone systems @ d. ray james works, their facility isn't any help & i've been calling back & forth 4 a week so far...
Newtothis

Saint Augustine, FL

#13 Mar 27, 2011
bwifey wrote:
can someone please explain to me how the phone systems @ d. ray james works, their facility isn't any help & i've been calling back & forth 4 a week so far...
1 (888) 288-9879 for phones
prohorse

North Branch, MN

#14 Mar 28, 2011
My mexican fiance is on his way to D. Ray James. He does not speak english and is a non violent offender. Can anyone tell me what kind of prisoners are housed at this facility and how does it differ from other Federal facilities as a private facility? How can I find information about the programs that are offered to the inmates? Thanks for any info you can send my way. A link to a website would be awesome.
bwifey

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#15 Apr 14, 2011
Newtothis wrote:
<quoted text>
1 (888) 288-9879 for phones
thanks i greatly appreciate it but its not fair that they still have a certain amount of minutes to call each month..
anonumys

Miami, FL

#16 Aug 17, 2011
i dont know thats what i am trying to find out
prohorse

Pevely, MO

#17 Aug 18, 2011
I went there all the way from Kansas City. I still have no answers. I call there at least 20x a week. The counselor passes me to the case manager which will not take any of my calls or answer my letters. They refuse to give you an email. I have called the GEO Group and they sent a group of people in there to assess the situation...nothing happened. My husband fills out request after request. They hold him it was a 1 year wait for ESL class but finaly got him into the drug class (he has been there since March)he has to attend that class every Thursday for 4 months. I was told by a lawyer friend that this is the worst of the worst for private prisons. I talk to my guy on the phone every night so I dont know about getting a certian amount of minutes that they can use. we talk for about 15 min. If there are more problems than usual he might call twice to tell me to call GEO about a particular problem. such as medical consently turning him away. He has an eye infection and is losing his sight in 1 eye and they wont do shit about it. They told him he has to wait until he gets back to Mexico for the medicine. His departure date in 1/24/14. Good luck to anyone that has to spen time at D. Ray James!!!!
tom

Clarkesville, GA

#18 Aug 21, 2011
The Hall co Ga jail that housed both State & Federal inmates. The building is relative new but the people who runs it leave a lots to be desired. The inmate are not animals but they are treated inhumanly. They (not inmates) wont turn the heat on when it is cold or turn the air condition on when it is hot. If you watched TV5 news. The I team revealed the beating of handcuffed/shackled inmates and the kicking in the face by a Captain of three inmates who were laying on the floor Isnt it a federal offense to treat inmate this way and cover up the wrong doings above?? The comments of others inhuman treatment by other jails and prisons indicate that the people responsible needs to be fired, or put in jail/prison them selves.
prohorse

United States

#19 Aug 21, 2011
Tom, you are right on the money. Just curious what is your connection with this awful place. If you dont mind me asking.
el pancho villa

Oakland, CA

#20 Nov 20, 2011
y are you guys saying this prison is safe its bs ma family in there says its hell in there

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Folkston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Georgia - Waycross Home of Televangelist Juanit... (Oct '07) Fri Mz Roze 54
vacant hotel Mar 27 Whatever 3
Auctioning off homes in July for back taxes Mar 27 Back taxes 1
News Plurality Voting (Oct '13) Mar 26 Scott 5
Dukes of Iron MC (Jul '14) Mar 25 3 Hundred WOS 26
Debate: Gay Marriage - Waycross, GA (Jan '12) Mar 24 cod rod 12
News Waycross woman lives to tell terrible tale Mar 24 Nellie 1
Folkston Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Folkston People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance