26% of teens texting while driving, U.S. survey finds

Full story: TwinCities.com

Some of the youngest drivers in the United States have challenges beyond being new to driving: More than a quarter - 26 percent - of 16- and 17-year-olds send text messages while they're behind the wheel, according to a national study on teens and distracted driving released Monday.
Comments
1 - 15 of 15 Comments Last updated Nov 24, 2009
JJ in MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

hands free communication is the only way to go in this state. keep the hands at 10 and 2 and pay freaking attention to your surroundings. There is nothing more important than protecting your passengers safety or those around you. Can you imagine your child or a friend dying in your hands as a result of you having to type back OMG! WTF! whatevr ... it is simply not worth it and hopefully at some point state lawmakers get it right. No hand held devices while driving - was not needed 20 years ago - not needed now.
2010 is now

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

"26% of teens texting while driving, U.S. survey finds." Meanwhile another 30% are talking on their phones while driving.
BBG10

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

I highly doubt that only 26% of teen drivers are texting. How many teens are going to admit they were texting when in an accident? Not many...maybe 26%.
Larry

Palo Alto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

The best solution is to raise the driving age to 21 if the driver has a cell phone.
Not surprised

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

I saw a car weaving and noticed the young male driver was texting. Then I noticed he was a uniformed police officer in his personal vehicle, likely on his way to work. I should have called his precinct but knew that it wouldn't make a bit of difference. Sigh ...
Stay Clear

Andover, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

How many times have you noticed a lane of traffic held hostage to some bozo texting. They think no one notices if they go slow enough to NOT hit anyone. Incredibly stupid. And I can't ever remember a time in my life when I have read of some many "head ons" on clear days???? It's just stupid to think you can text and drive. It's bad enough watching Grandma and Grandpa using their cell phones while driving, but to watch kids texting? It's insane.

Since: Mar 09

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

I like the one girl who said she texts because she is bored? What...driving is not to be entertaining unless you are a professional driver. People get it together. Talking on the phone is one thing....I see many people do this, but texting is just plain stupid.
Judge Wappner

Marshall, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

Throw the book at em Danno.
meinstpaul

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

There are so many idiots on cell phones while driving, it's almost shocking to see someone that isn't. And I'm not talking about teenagers. I am so sick of driving defensively around these idiots. What in the hell is so urgent that you have to make a call while driving, shopping, waiting in line at the bank? You're IDIOTS!
try it while flying

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

We now know how that works.
Texting While Driving

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

You think texting is bad, I'm doing this on my wireless laptop driving down 494.
stan1952

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

The solution is a pretty simple one : ban cell phone use in moving vehicles. Period. If talking on the phone is so important, pull into a parking lot first.
Roe

Roberts, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

"Said one high-school aged boy:'I think it's fine ... And I wear sunglasses so the cops don't see (my eyes looking down)."

"A high-school-age girl said she texts and makes calls when she drives " 'cause I get bored," the report said. "

Cops should justly be allowed to pistol whip these stupid little sniveling brats. "I get bored?" Hmm, here's something to keep you occupied... DRIVE, YOU STUPID B!TCH!
The Big Bopper

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

While waiting at a stop light I looked over to see a young teenager texting, and putting makeup on. The light changed and the car behind her beeped.. and she jumped, knocking her cell to the floor. So she drove forward while bending down to pick up her cell and nearly crashed into another car that was turning. I just watched it all in amazement.
John Rob

Chennai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2009

Earlier I used to text while driving. Now I do not text, I am not distracted when I drive. I use drivesafe.ly mobile application to drive without distraction.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Foley Discussions

Search the Foley Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
MN Who do you support for Governor in Minnesota in... (Oct '10) Jun '14 doomsayer2014 847
Debate: Marijuana - Milaca, MN (Jul '12) Jun '14 Lez 5
Review: Smart Energy Builders Inc Apr '14 curt pocklington 1
Man charged with five felonies (Oct '07) Dec '13 Big Town 66
Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) May '12 Paul G Christensen 16
MN Minnesota Primary Election August 10: Will you ... (Aug '10) Apr '12 kayla 16
MN Who do you support for Auditor in Minnesota in ... (Oct '10) Jan '12 a7d6f4 62
•••
•••
•••
•••

Foley Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Foley People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••