Immigration law bad for Alabama

Posted in the Foley Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of37
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 31, 2012
 
"An economic analysis of Alabama's immigration law by the director of the University of Alabama's Center for Business and Economic Research found that the law will hurt the state's economy, with the potential loss of tens of millions in tax dollars and billions in lost production."

It looks like all of the Alabama rednecks who claimed that illegal immigrants were taking their jobs have not stepped forward to fill them. I wonder who they will blame now for not having a job and not getting paid enough from Welfare.

“Changes in latitude/attitud e”

Since: Sep 10

Gulf Shores, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jan 31, 2012
 
Give Me a Break wrote:
"An economic analysis of Alabama's immigration law by the director of the University of Alabama's Center for Business and Economic Research found that the law will hurt the state's economy, with the potential loss of tens of millions in tax dollars and billions in lost production."
It looks like all of the Alabama rednecks who claimed that illegal immigrants were taking their jobs have not stepped forward to fill them. I wonder who they will blame now for not having a job and not getting paid enough from Welfare.
I always try to see both sides of the coin on every argument. And I sometimes agree with you. I live in a small condo complex where there are Mexicans (not sure of their legal status) and white trailer trash. The Mexicans, in this case, are hard working, quiet, clean folks. The TT have 8 people stuffed into a 2BR and leave trash all throughout the parking lot and yard.

I don't have a problem with any immigrant because of their origin or ethnicity. I do have a problem with them being here illegally. If they receive benefits from our country (including handouts at the churches, welfare, jobs, etc) I do feel that they should pay into the system by paying taxes and following our laws. Holding a valid drivers license, not stealing SS numbers, etc.

Do you not agree with that, at least?

I think you have a lot of good ideas and I would love to talk to you in depth to get your view on issues and I don't mean to anger you at all. Just maybe digging to see where my view might be flawed or need modification.
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jan 31, 2012
 
"I do feel that they should pay into the system by paying taxes and following our laws. Holding a valid drivers license, not stealing SS numbers, etc."

If we had some way to accommodate the illegal aliens so that they had an avenue to citizenship and at the same time could identify themselves without the fear of being deported or jailed, then we could require them to have a valid driver's license, have a legal work permit, etc. The way it is now, these illegals have to remain under cover so they have no way to do these things without being penalized. Yes, control the borders and stop illegals from coming here but we have to find a way to deal with those who are already here so that they pay their taxes, etc. while they are also doing lots of jobs that help our economy.

“Changes in latitude/attitud e”

Since: Sep 10

Gulf Shores, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jan 31, 2012
 
Give Me a Break wrote:
"I do feel that they should pay into the system by paying taxes and following our laws. Holding a valid drivers license, not stealing SS numbers, etc."
If we had some way to accommodate the illegal aliens so that they had an avenue to citizenship and at the same time could identify themselves without the fear of being deported or jailed, then we could require them to have a valid driver's license, have a legal work permit, etc. The way it is now, these illegals have to remain under cover so they have no way to do these things without being penalized. Yes, control the borders and stop illegals from coming here but we have to find a way to deal with those who are already here so that they pay their taxes, etc. while they are also doing lots of jobs that help our economy.
OK, I see where you're coming from. Thanks for explaining it.
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jan 31, 2012
 
Well, you have a very pretty photo--if that is not you, I will be disappointed. I'm a softy--I have trouble arguing with a woman, although I have been known to do it on occasion.

“Changes in latitude/attitud e”

Since: Sep 10

Gulf Shores, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jan 31, 2012
 
Give Me a Break wrote:
Well, you have a very pretty photo--if that is not you, I will be disappointed. I'm a softy--I have trouble arguing with a woman, although I have been known to do it on occasion.
It is I. ;)
HIFLYR

Germantown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Feb 1, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

I am sorry but since I have a home in Al, I just have to say I think this legislation is a good thing. It is unfair to import a population to lower the wages of working Americans. Business will claim they cannot find workers. While what is true is they cannot find workers at the pay they are offering. I worked my way thru college and flight training in the building trades which at that time was American blue collar jobs. Now the building trades have been overrun my cheap imported immigrant labor, simply because it is cheaper. Meanwhile taxpayers pay more in taxes in schools, SS, hospital emergency room care etc.
We "America" gave amnesty once and said it was the only time, so we have tried to do the right thing. I do not support A: Allowing more immigrant workers than currently allowed or providing amnesty to anyone currently in the country illegally.

It is also not fair to allow people who have broken the law to get here to stay. While people who are trying to come here legally are still waiting.

There is already a path to be
coming a American Citizen it is located here:
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Feb 1, 2012
 
"Meanwhile taxpayers pay more in taxes in schools, SS, hospital emergency room care etc."

Illegals are very reluctant to go to hospital emergency rooms except in a real emergency because that is one place that they can be discovered. This is unlike a lot of Americans who can afford insurance and don't purchase it or Americans who can't afford it and are on Medicaid--both cost you money when they show up in the emergency room. Here in Alabama, farmers are already predicting a big increase in the cost of fruits and vegetables because there are not enough Americans willing to do that kind of hard labor--at any cost. They come to work in the morning and walk off the job by noon. Give these illegals a work permit, make their employers pay the minimum wage at least and then make both the illegal and the employer pay their taxes. Secure the border so that the influx of new illegals is stopped and find an effective way to deal with those who are now here.

“Changes in latitude/attitud e”

Since: Sep 10

Gulf Shores, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Feb 1, 2012
 
So let me just ask: Does anyone here believe "self-deportation" is something that could work?
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Feb 1, 2012
 
methodical wrote:
So let me just ask: Does anyone here believe "self-deportation" is something that could work?
Some illegals have already left Alabama because of the new law but lots of them just went to other States where the pressure is not as severe. Large scale "self-deportation" will not happen. Most don't have the money to get back home so they can't self-deport. Others have legal relatives that they live with and have for a long time so it is very hard for them to brake those bonds for the unknown back home. "Self-deportation" is just another thing politicians are throwing out because they don't have the will to address the illegal immigrant problem responsibly and are trying to make people think it will just go away by itself and not lose the Hispanic vote of those who are here legally. That's my take on it.
HIFLYR

Germantown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Feb 1, 2012
 
Sadly my experience in the emergency room was different as most of the people in the ER were hispanic and could not speak english. Statistics show emergency rooms in areas with high illegal immigrant populations are highly impacted.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1...

http://www.acep.org/content.aspx...

I say if farmers want cheap labor then require them to provide healthcare so tax payers do not have to foot the bill.

No need to self deport, simply check immigration status to get SS, go to public schools, register a car etc. and if not legal provide a one way ticket to country of origin.

I have many legal immigrant friends and support the current legal process for someone to earn the GREAT right of being a American Citizen. I however do not support in any way anyone being here illegally.
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Feb 1, 2012
 
"No need to self deport, simply check immigration status to get SS, go to public schools, register a car etc. and if not legal provide a one way ticket to country of origin."

Well, you can pay for the ticket for several million illegal residents to go back home. Do you realize that they come from all over South and Central America and not just across a 300 foot width of the Rio Grande? Think this process through a little and tell me how you can deport several million illegal residents for free.
HIFLYR

Germantown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Feb 1, 2012
 
Actually it would probably cost less than the associated cost of them living here to the tax payers. Also unlike letting them continue to sponge off the tax payers it would be a one time cost.

Listen I feel sorry for them but what is the answer in your eyes simply let anyone become a American Citizen with no limits?

I travel to Mexico and South America for business so I have seen first hand their situation but the real answer is for them to fix their country.

Also, what makes the Mexicans and people from South America better than others that want to be citizens?
You Give Me A Break

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Feb 1, 2012
 
HIFLYR wrote:
Actually it would probably cost less than the associated cost of them living here to the tax payers. Also unlike letting them continue to sponge off the tax payers it would be a one time cost.
Listen I feel sorry for them but what is the answer in your eyes simply let anyone become a American Citizen with no limits?
I travel to Mexico and South America for business so I have seen first hand their situation but the real answer is for them to fix their country.
Also, what makes the Mexicans and people from South America better than others that want to be citizens?
Very good point that will be completely lost on Give Me A Break! He bitches and moans that the illegals have it so bad; but the law is the law. The people have spoken in Alabama and if he doesn't agree with the law maybe he should leave also. I can see why Fast Fred has such a problem with this troll.
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Feb 1, 2012
 
When you start paying twice the dollars for landscaping your yard, pay twice as much for a hotel room, pay twice as much to have your roof shingled, your brick patio placed and countless other things then just figure that some of that savings is going to help this poor labor when they go to the emergency room and cost you a few more bucks in tax.

"but the law is the law." Yes, and it is a bad law and that is why Congress after Congress has realized it but has not had the guts to do anything about it.

"Also, what makes the Mexicans and people from South America better than others that want to be citizens?" Where did I say that Mexicans and people from South America are better than others that want to be citizens. You are putting words in my mouth.

"Also unlike letting them continue to sponge off the tax payers it would be a one time cost." Since when does someone who works for penny's in the hot Sun for the benefit of a corrupt employer become a "sponge off the tax payers"? Maybe you should start looking at the American Born Citizen who is exploiting them if you are looking for a sponge. You want to fight the real sponges then just go downtown Mobile, Birmingham, Montgomery, etc. and you will find the real legal American citizens who are causing you to have to pay more taxes. Give me a break. And as far as Fast Fred is concerned, he never met anyone who did not have lilly white skin that he didn't want sent out of the Country--legal or not.
HIFLYR

Collierville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Feb 2, 2012
 
Ok, Let me see if I got this right. You hate renters and people who live 6-8 to a house but support illegals who do just that. I guess it is ok as long as they do not live in Foley?

You want them to stay simply so you can get mostly unskilled work done untra cheap! I do all my yard work and landscaping myself and really do not care what it cost you.

Where does your thinking end? I am sure almost any person from Mexico or South America would like to come here and enjoy the benifits of being a American Citizen so just let them all come. I bet thier police, firefighters, accountants, lab techs, engineers, judges etc would work far cheaper than Americans. So bring them in! That is unil we reach your occupation; Right!

You and I agree that a lot of Americans sponge the system and that is wrong but there is one huge difference between them and illegals. They are Americans!
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Feb 2, 2012
 
HIFLYR wrote:
Ok, Let me see if I got this right. You hate renters and people who live 6-8 to a house but support illegals who do just that. I guess it is ok as long as they do not live in Foley?
You want them to stay simply so you can get mostly unskilled work done untra cheap! I do all my yard work and landscaping myself and really do not care what it cost you.
Where does your thinking end? I am sure almost any person from Mexico or South America would like to come here and enjoy the benifits of being a American Citizen so just let them all come. I bet thier police, firefighters, accountants, lab techs, engineers, judges etc would work far cheaper than Americans. So bring them in! That is unil we reach your occupation; Right!
You and I agree that a lot of Americans sponge the system and that is wrong but there is one huge difference between them and illegals. They are Americans!
I guess you are just one of many who clings to your gun, your Bible and now, your incandescent light bulb. Talk about stereotype thinking about illegals
You Give Me A Break

Daphne, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Feb 2, 2012
 
Give Me a Break wrote:
When you start paying twice the dollars for landscaping your yard, pay twice as much for a hotel room, pay twice as much to have your roof shingled, your brick patio placed and countless other things then just figure that some of that savings is going to help this poor labor when they go to the emergency room and cost you a few more bucks in tax.
"but the law is the law." Yes, and it is a bad law and that is why Congress after Congress has realized it but has not had the guts to do anything about it.
I would rather pay a legal worker more than an illegal one less. Just like I can shop at Walmart cheaper than the smaller local businesses in my area, but I don't. I would rather the money stay local in my community to help employ local legal workers. I'll pay more for locally grown food versus food grown in another country that may have chemicals on it the FDA doesn't approve. Basically we get what we pay for. If you want a high unemployment rate, pay for criminals children's education, and eat food that will give you Cancer than pay less. I would rather see my neighbors not be criminals and have the ability to work a job that pays a livable wage.
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Feb 2, 2012
 
You Give Me A Break wrote:
<quoted text>
I would rather pay a legal worker more than an illegal one less. Just like I can shop at Walmart cheaper than the smaller local businesses in my area, but I don't. I would rather the money stay local in my community to help employ local legal workers. I'll pay more for locally grown food versus food grown in another country that may have chemicals on it the FDA doesn't approve. Basically we get what we pay for. If you want a high unemployment rate, pay for criminals children's education, and eat food that will give you Cancer than pay less. I would rather see my neighbors not be criminals and have the ability to work a job that pays a livable wage.
If everyone were willing to pay more, I guess that would be the end of competition and the start of run-away prices. Because most people aren't willing to do that, the Ma and Pa stores are going out of business and WalMart is thriving. Remember to turn out the lights in the last Ma and Pa store you shop at when they go out of business because they ran out of customers who were willing to pay more for their goods.
HIFLYR

Germantown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Feb 2, 2012
 
Give Me a Break wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you are just one of many who clings to your gun, your Bible and now, your incandescent light bulb. Talk about stereotype thinking about illegals
Well when you do not have any facts to support your stance you resort to trying to insult.
I do believe in God but support separation of Church and State.
I believe gun control is sight picture and trigger control so you got me there.
What part of my thinking is exactly wrong about what I have typed about illegals, unlike several of your claims i.e. no cost to E.Rs living 6 to a house etc.

I am a Captain on a widebody aircraft costing close to a 100 million dollars and just came back from ASIA stopping in Japan, China and Singapore. I am also trying to learn Japanese. So yea I guess I am just a redneck who knows nothing about the world.

Try Again!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of37
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Foley Discussions

Search the Foley Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Appeals court strikes down key part of Obamacar... 58 min Give me a break 2
Kenny Chesney Announces His Only Show of 2014 1 hr chugs are POS 19
I like Foley 17 hr thetruth 5
The South needs to get with it. Sun FastFred 66
68% increase by baldwin county sewer service (Nov '07) Sun MountainScott 109
Wedding last Saturday Sun Give Him a Brain 4
Stolen 270 Qt Yeti Cooler (Apr '12) Jul 14 Give Him a Break 21
•••
•••
•••
Foley Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Foley Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Foley People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Foley News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Foley
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••