Foley may sell valuable John McCrady ...

Foley may sell valuable John McCrady mural found at City Hall

There are 13 comments on the The Mobile Register Online story from Sep 27, 2008, titled Foley may sell valuable John McCrady mural found at City Hall. In it, The Mobile Register Online reports that:

An old painting donated to the Foley Public Library, which later ended up in the break room of the city's Public Works Department, turns out to be a 1941 mural by artist John McCrady that could be worth ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Mobile Register Online.

Imangttia

Foley, AL

#1 Sep 28, 2008
I don't think that this picture should be sold--that was not the intent of the donor when he gave it to the city. Foley did not accept it with the intention of selling it and it should not be the intention of the current Administration now. I also think that it should be displayed in the Civic Center where more people can see it than if it were displayed in the library or the Mayor's Board Room. With the huge budget of Foley, neither the estimated $200,000 selling price (less selling commission)or the couple of thousand dollars for insurance will change the quality of life for the people of Foley. How can people talk about improving the cultural aspects of the City and then part with a picture that has such local significance?
guitar picker

Foley, AL

#2 Sep 28, 2008
Yes, display the picture in the Art Center located across from Stacy's Drug, which is run by the Mayor's wife. She is very active in the support for Arts in the City, and a picture with local significance should be on display there, and NOT FOR SALE!!
Imangttia

Foley, AL

#3 Sep 28, 2008
guitar picker wrote:
Yes, display the picture in the Art Center located across from Stacy's Drug, which is run by the Mayor's wife. She is very active in the support for Arts in the City, and a picture with local significance should be on display there, and NOT FOR SALE!!
Are you telling us that the Art Center is run by the Mayor's wife and the Mayor wants to sell this Foley City Heirloom? Well, she better take her husband out behind the barn for a real good whoop'n and put some sense in his head.
guitar picker

Greenbrier, AR

#4 Sep 30, 2008
I agree in Imangttia the wife needs to knock some sence in the Mayor's head.
guitar picker

Foley, AL

#5 Sep 30, 2008
It seems we have two guitar pickers in here!! I am not sure if the Mayor's wife is actually "in charge", but I do know that she is actively involved in the Center to a large degree.
Imangttia

Foley, AL

#6 Sep 30, 2008
guitar picker wrote:
It seems we have two guitar pickers in here!! I am not sure if the Mayor's wife is actually "in charge", but I do know that she is actively involved in the Center to a large degree.
What are the odds of 2 'guitar pickers' on the same blog? I wish that you both could decide who you are so that I know who's face I'm getting into. I really don't want to offend the wrong pick.
guitar picker

Foley, AL

#7 Oct 1, 2008
one of us is from here and the other from Ky. I'm not really from Summerdale, but Foley. However, I have never seen this blog give me an out of state address, so I think you can tell us apart. I moved from Nashville, and there were far more than the fourteen hundred and thirty two guitar pickers that John Sebastian sang about in Nashville Cats - I was one of them(still am)and it's easy to get lost amongst us all, but you can tell us apart.
Imangttia

Foley, AL

#8 Oct 1, 2008
guitar picker wrote:
one of us is from here and the other from Ky. I'm not really from Summerdale, but Foley. However, I have never seen this blog give me an out of state address, so I think you can tell us apart. I moved from Nashville, and there were far more than the fourteen hundred and thirty two guitar pickers that John Sebastian sang about in Nashville Cats - I was one of them(still am)and it's easy to get lost amongst us all, but you can tell us apart.
I recently took a trip up North and made several hotel stops along the way and used my laptop in the room to make some posts. It was interesting to note that my different locations were shown on each post until I returned and then again it showed Summerdale. I think that it has something to do with the location of the server and certainly has nothing to do with the town one lives in.
Stub

Bonnots Mill, MO

#9 Nov 22, 2008
So what's happened? Has the city sold the painting? We had a mayor in Rolla MO who tried to sell a donated piece of land dedicated as a park. He wanted to sell to bring in a Cracker Barrel restaurant. It took 10 years for the court to finally rule; the citizens group won... but the city isn't yet maintaining the property as it should...
NoBody

United States

#10 Nov 22, 2008
DON'T SELL. I've seen the painting (it's not in the Mayor's board room, it's in the council chambers, which is open to the public unless they "suspend the rules" and go into "executive session"). Anyway, it's a great mural and should stay with the city. I'm not fond of it being in a municipal building, as it is indicative of a Confederate nation that is long lost. The city just pulled down the Confederate National flag from the city building flag poles, finally moving on from a confederate tie, and raising the City flag. The painting belongs in a museum, along with those flags.
Rolla

Rolla, MO

#11 Dec 16, 2008
Where did you see a Civi Center in Rolla, Mo ?
FastFred

Gulf Shores, AL

#12 Jan 5, 2009
This picture should never be sold and should be displayed for all to see,this is a piece of "Local History."and should be displayed as such.The flag should have never been taken down,it is also a part of History.As we say,if you are offended by my Flag,I am offended that you're offended !
NoBody

United States

#13 Jan 6, 2009
Not offended. Just over it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Foley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Papa Rocco’s Thu Curious 3
Russian Mafia Gulf Shores/Navarre/Destin Fl Feb 12 Rude Awakening 8
Murderer among you Feb 10 Big sis 10
Fairhope Rock Fairy Feb 7 Anni 1
Welcome to Fairhope (Aug '17) Feb 6 ThomasA 5
Relocating to Fairhope Jan 31 Cha Cha in 4
Mobile Al People In Gulf Shores Jan 30 Funny 9

Foley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance