Don't Eat here..
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Give Me a Break

Gulf Shores, AL

#1 Aug 18, 2011
Went to The Original Oyster House last night. Hadn't been there for about 2-years. I used to enjoy it and the prices were reasonable. NOT THIS TIME! The prices were extremely high. There was no way that you could find anything on the menu that allowed you to get out without having a big bill. They should change their name to: TOURIST TRAP.
FastFred

Foley, AL

#2 Aug 19, 2011
Are you talking about the one in Gulf Shores ?
Give Me a Break

Gulf Shores, AL

#3 Aug 19, 2011
FastFred wrote:
Are you talking about the one in Gulf Shores ?
Absolutely. The Original Oyster House is a bigger rip-off than KrispyKreme. If two people ate there and got the cheapest meal possible--except just soup and salad, their bill would be about $40 and probably wouldn't include the 10% sales tax and a 20% tip. Add to that a wait of at least 45 minutes to get a table and God help you if you want a cocktail or desert with your meal. The appetizers alone cost almost as much as a descent meal at lots of good restaurants. As I remember, a glass of iced tea cost almost $2.00. Just figure this item alone.$2 + 20-cents sales tax and 20-cents tip times 2-people and the iced tea alone would add $4.80 to your bill. It's no wonder you see so many people just drinking water with their meal and pretty soon they will probably start charging for water also. Go to a restaurant in Foley. They have 1% less sales tax, less crowds, more parking and better food for a lot less money.
FastFred

Foley, AL

#4 Aug 19, 2011
Give Me a Break wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely. The Original Oyster House is a bigger rip-off than Krispy Kreme. If two people ate there and got the cheapest meal possible--except just soup and salad, their bill would be about $40 and probably wouldn't include the 10% sales tax and a 20% tip. Add to that a wait of at least 45 minutes to get a table and God help you if you want a cocktail or desert with your meal. The appetizers alone cost almost as much as a descent meal at lots of good restaurants. As I remember, a glass of iced tea cost almost $2.00. Just figure this item alone.$2 + 20-cents sales tax and 20-cents tip times 2-people and the iced tea alone would add $4.80 to your bill. It's no wonder you see so many people just drinking water with their meal and pretty soon they will probably start charging for water also. Go to a restaurant in Foley. They have 1% less sales tax, less crowds, more parking and better food for a lot less money.
We eat there a minimum of once a month,we have never had a bad meal,and remember you are eating sea food and it is expensive every where,the service has always been good, I can't complain and will continue to eat there unless things change.May be you are just a cheap skate,pretty much proves it when you complain about the price of the best Doughnut in the land.
Give Me a Break

Gulf Shores, AL

#5 Aug 19, 2011
FastFred wrote:
<quoted text>We eat there a minimum of once a month,we have never had a bad meal,and remember you are eating sea food and it is expensive every where,the service has always been good, I can't complain and will continue to eat there unless things change.May be you are just a cheap skate,pretty much proves it when you complain about the price of the best Doughnut in the land.
I'm not complaining about the food or the service--just the price. And, you are the last one to recognize being taken if you are willing to pay 99-cents for an air-filled puff-ball at KrispyKreme. Also, Ruby Tuesday has a sign out in front of their Foley restaurant right now that says $5.99 for a bottomless soup and salad. Anyone will tell you that their salads are equal or better than almost anyone else's salad. Try getting this deal at The Original Oyster House. And, you are wrong about the high cost of seafood. Catfish are as cheap as dirt and that is why one restaurant after another offers all-you-can-eat catfish any day of the week. For about $6, you can go to any Chinese buffet and eat your heart out on steamed shrimp and fish, along with tons of other selections. Try doing this at The Original Oyster House. And, remember a few years ago when it was reported in the paper that several restaurants--including The Original Oyster House were selling a certain type of fish and calling it by a different name on their menu? OK, Fastfred--if you like The Original Oyster House and don't mind paying more than the food is really worth--fine. But, don't claim that it is a good deal because it isn't.
FastFred

Foley, AL

#6 Aug 20, 2011
I don't like Ruby Tuesdays, and I have tried all the Chinese restaurants, haven't found one that I like. If you want a real salad go to Lambert's.
I realize the Oyster House is a little pricey,but I still will eat there.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#7 Aug 26, 2011
Love this place. Fantastic food. Top-notch drinks. Worth every penny.
Give Me a Break

Gulf Shores, AL

#8 Aug 27, 2011
Nessun Dorma wrote:
Love this place. Fantastic food. Top-notch drinks. Worth every penny.
You can't be referring to The Original Oyster House because a drink is a drink and good food is good food. But, only a sucker would pay twice as much for them as they would pay at hundreds of other restaurants in this area. Check out a few and you will never again waste one of your hard earned $100 bills at The Original Oyster House. Here me now and believe me later.

Location hidden

#9 Aug 27, 2011
Give Me a Break wrote:
<quoted text>You can't be referring to The Original Oyster House because a drink is a drink and good food is good food. But, only a sucker would pay twice as much for them as they would pay at hundreds of other restaurants in this area. Check out a few and you will never again waste one of your hard earned $100 bills at The Original Oyster House. Here me now and believe me later.
I believe you mean "hear" me now. We frequent many restaurants and enjoy them all. However, we have no issue with paying for good food and drink at the Oyster House. If money is an issue, try Long John Silver.
Give Me a Break

Gulf Shores, AL

#10 Aug 27, 2011
Nessun Dorma wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe you mean "hear" me now. We frequent many restaurants and enjoy them all. However, we have no issue with paying for good food and drink at the Oyster House. If money is an issue, try Long John Silver.
Money is only an issue for those who can't afford the cost or for those who want value for their money. I, like you, fall into the latter category and I am confident that there are many other restaurants that give you a lot more for your money than The Original Oyster House. Yes, I did mean "hear"--hope you can bear-up under my typos. I know that it must have taken you quite some time to discern what I was saying due to that egregious typing error. Sorry for the inconvenience it must have caused you. If it is any consolation, I'm sure that it will happen again so don't let it shock you. Man-up!

Location hidden

#11 Aug 27, 2011
Give Me a Break wrote:
<quoted text>Money is only an issue for those who can't afford the cost or for those who want value for their money. I, like you, fall into the latter category and I am confident that there are many other restaurants that give you a lot more for your money than The Original Oyster House. Yes, I did mean "hear"--hope you can bear-up under my typos. I know that it must have taken you quite some time to discern what I was saying due to that egregious typing error. Sorry for the inconvenience it must have caused you. If it is any consolation, I'm sure that it will happen again so don't let it shock you. Man-up!
Good Lord! Don't worry about my dining choices, or anyone else's, for that matter. Eat where you choose.
Give Me a Break

Gulf Shores, AL

#12 Aug 27, 2011
Nessun Dorma wrote:
<quoted text>
Good Lord! Don't worry about my dining choices, or anyone else's, for that matter. Eat where you choose.
I'm not worried. Sometimes, people on blogs like to express their opinions in the hope that some other people might find them of benefit. I have received numerous opinions from many people on many blogs that have helped me in various ways. I'm sure that most or all of those folks weren't worried about me but just wanted to forward a 'heads-up'.
queenies back bitches

Grissom Afb, IN

#13 Dec 11, 2011
give me a break is right!!........lighten up you no good bitch choke on an oyster somewhere else

Location hidden

#14 Dec 12, 2011
queenies back bitches wrote:
give me a break is right!!........lighten up you no good bitch choke on an oyster somewhere else
Wow. Classy.
Give Me a Break

Gulf Shores, AL

#15 Dec 12, 2011
Nessun Dorma wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. Classy.
What do you expect from a Bull Dyke?
tball

United States

#16 Dec 19, 2011
very seafood resturant on the island is a rip off.
Give Me a Break

Gulf Shores, AL

#17 Dec 19, 2011
tball wrote:
very seafood resturant on the island is a rip off.
You are about right. Let's face it, almost all fish tastes the same so why pay a big price for Grouper when Mullet and Catfish aren't that much different? I do like Mickee's in Gulf Shores. There prices are reasonable, they have a big menu to choose from and the service is excellent. Just stay away from the tourist trap called "The Original Oyster House". Their food is good but they are way over-priced. Don't believe me? Put a lot of money in your wallet or purse and see for yourself.

“Changes in latitude/attitud e”

Since: Sep 10

Gulf Shores, AL

#18 Dec 19, 2011
FastFred wrote:
I don't like Ruby Tuesdays, and I have tried all the Chinese restaurants, haven't found one that I like. If you want a real salad go to Lambert's.
I realize the Oyster House is a little pricey,but I still will eat there.
Aji Sai is a darn fine Asian restaurant. Lots of choices. If you haven't tried it yet, I would highly suggest it FF.
Give Me a Break

Gulf Shores, AL

#19 Dec 19, 2011
methodical wrote:
<quoted text>
Aji Sai is a darn fine Asian restaurant. Lots of choices. If you haven't tried it yet, I would highly suggest it FF.
If that is the one in the Pelligan Shopping Center, I agree. Just remember, if you like your food spiced like the Asian's like it, you have to specify it. I complained that it was not spiced like it should be and the manager told me that most people don't like it highly spiced but that if I do, just tell them when ordering and they will knock it up a notch. Also, go for lunch--practically the same menu as dinner but cheaper.
FastFred

Foley, AL

#20 Dec 20, 2011
methodical wrote:
<quoted text>
This place is fantastic,this is a very good place to eat,service is great and food is excellent. I can add this to my list of regular places to dine. Thank You! Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year ! FF

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Foley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kendrick Lamar interrupts white fan for rapping... Mon Nurddy 1
help for SPRINGBREAK any nude beaches (Jan '12) May 20 Eaton Beavers 7
Perdido Dunes May 17 seaside 1
homewreckers May 13 ThomasA 12
ISO Best Seafood Dining in Gulf Shores May 12 Joker Joe 5
list of places to rent in orange beach or gulf ... (Aug '15) May 11 junkyarddog 13
Who else can't stand Jeff Sessions? May 6 Mark 6

Foley Jobs

Personal Finance

Foley Mortgages