Obama energy chief says he deserves high marks for trying to lower gas prices

Posted in the Foley Forum

FastFred

Foley, AL

#1 Mar 21, 2012
Energy Secretary Steven Chu stood firmly behind his department’s efforts to address volatile gas prices and invest in clean-energy projects Tuesday amid aggressive attacks from House Republicans.

Chu, during a tense House Oversight and Government Reform Committee hearing, defended the Energy Department’s embattled loan program and gave the agency high marks for working to develop a long-term plan to protect consumers from soaring pump prices.

At one point, committee Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) asked Chu whether he’d give his efforts to control gas prices an “A-,” the same grade he gave to the department’s work on the loan program.

“The tools we have at our disposal are limited, but I would say I would give myself a little higher in that since I became secretary of Energy, I’ve been doing everything I can to get long-term solutions,” Chu said.
FastFred

Foley, AL

#2 Mar 21, 2012
High marks for what ? What has he done besides nothing,except spend billions and billions on failed Green Energy projects,while not investing in our own resources, of course this is the individual that wanted gas prices as high as Europe's so we couldn't buy as much.
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

#3 Mar 21, 2012
FastFred wrote:
High marks for what ? What has he done besides nothing,except spend billions and billions on failed Green Energy projects,while not investing in our own resources, of course this is the individual that wanted gas prices as high as Europe's so we couldn't buy as much.
Maybe you should move to Europe where gas prices are $8-$9/gallon and start complaining that they are doing nothing to lower the price of gas. Check out how much more gas we are producing now than when Bush was President and then tell me that the Obama Administration is doing nothing. Check out how many wells that the oil companies have in the Gulf of Mexico alone that could be producing oil and gas but that they have simply capped so as not to produce too much and drive the cost of oil down. Look at how many oil company leases that they have that they have not yet explored because they have just the right amount of oil to deliver that will keep the price of gasoline up as well as their profits. If you want to rant and rave then start doing it to the oil companies who are screwing all of us. Look at their profits each quarter while you are paying big bucks at the gas station. Get real--it is the Republican protected oil companies that are causing high prices and I guess you are still in favor of continuing the Bush oil company subsidies that Obama wants to eliminate. Smart thinking!
FastFred

Foley, AL

#4 Mar 22, 2012
Give Me a Break wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you should move to Europe where gas prices are $8-$9/gallon and start complaining that they are doing nothing to lower the price of gas. Check out how much more gas we are producing now than when Bush was President and then tell me that the Obama Administration is doing nothing. Check out how many wells that the oil companies have in the Gulf of Mexico alone that could be producing oil and gas but that they have simply capped so as not to produce too much and drive the cost of oil down. Look at how many oil company leases that they have that they have not yet explored because they have just the right amount of oil to deliver that will keep the price of gasoline up as well as their profits. If you want to rant and rave then start doing it to the oil companies who are screwing all of us. Look at their profits each quarter while you are paying big bucks at the gas station. Get real--it is the Republican protected oil companies that are causing high prices and I guess you are still in favor of continuing the Bush oil company subsidies that Obama wants to eliminate. Smart thinking!
Obama claims that production of oil, gas and coal is up since he took office. It’s true that areas under state control are producing more, but what about energy production on federal lands? That’s the part of the country that Obama is responsible for.

Let’s see what two recent studies from the Energy Information Administration and the Institute for Energy Research found.

Excerpt:

The updated EIA report revealed a 12 percent decline in production for coal, oil, and natural gas on federal and Indian lands from fiscal 2003 through fiscal 2011.

During this same period, production on state and private lands has increased, boosting overall production numbers for the United States. That’s a point even President Obama will acknowledge:“Under my Administration, domestic oil and natural gas production is up,” he said upon announcing his rejection of the Keystone XL pipeline.

Obama is correct. He just can’t rightfully claim the credit, since the vast majority of America’s new oil and gas production is happening on private lands in states like North Dakota, Alaska and Texas.

The administration, meanwhile, has also taken several steps to limit production…

&#9702;Withdrew areas offered for 77 oil and gas leases in Utah that could cost American taxpayers millions in lost lease bids, production royalties, new jobs and the energy needed to offset rising imports of oil and natural gas.
&#9702;Cancelled lease sales in the Western Gulf of Mexico, the Atlantic coast and delayed exploration off the coast of Alaska and kept other resource-rich areas off-limits.
&#9702;Finalized rules, first announced by Secretary Salazar on January 6, 2010, to establish more government hurdles to onshore oil and natural gas production on federal lands.
&#9702;Withdrew 61 oil and natural gas leases in Montana as part of a lawsuit settlement over climate change.
“The big picture is clear that government policies undertaken by the Obama administration have produced a significant decline in offshore oil production on federal lands in fiscal year 2011,” the Institute for Energy Research said in response to last week’s updated EIA analysis.“That is certainly not a way to increase domestic production of oil and keep oil and thus gasoline prices in check.”

While it was waiting for EIA to update its numbers, the Institute for Energy Research conducted its own analysis of Department of Interior data in February. It came to the same conclusion:“Production on federal lands is down, while production on state and private lands is up.”

That’s the real story behind Obama’s claims about higher energy production. He’s doing his best to block energy production in the areas under his control. His energy plan is Solyndra, Solyndra, Solyndra – paying off his rich Democrat buddies with taxpayer money
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

#5 Mar 22, 2012
Obama, like all Presidents, has a responsibility to protect Federal lands and to make sure that any use of them by private parties is such that it will not endanger them. I appreciate this precaution--especially because there is currently enough oil being produced. In fact, the stockpiles of oil and gas in this Country are at an all time high. It's the speculators on Wall Street who are driving the price up--you know, the 1%'ers that you love to protect from paying higher taxes.
FastFred

Foley, AL

#6 Mar 22, 2012
Give Me a Break wrote:
Obama, like all Presidents, has a responsibility to protect Federal lands and to make sure that any use of them by private parties is such that it will not endanger them. I appreciate this precaution--especially because there is currently enough oil being produced. In fact, the stockpiles of oil and gas in this Country are at an all time high. It's the speculators on Wall Street who are driving the price up--you know, the 1%'ers that you love to protect from paying higher taxes.
Wonder how much land he has already confiscated for protection since he has been in office ? We don't have enough oil/gas or we wouldn't still be importing oil from Countries that hate us.
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

#7 Mar 22, 2012
It's cheaper to load oil on a ship in Saudi Arabia then it is to erect and man a well in the gulf of Mexico. That is why oil companies have hundreds of capped wells that could be producing oil in the gulf that they are not working. Talk to the oil companies--not just blame Obama.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Foley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
best,affordable fishing trips? (Jul '12) 9 hr Jamestheduke21 2
Brett Robinson screwing their employees: 15 hr absolute truth 55
39yr male single looking! Mar 1 FJY4400 5
Summerdale Contractor In Jail For Fraudulent Deals (Sep '06) Feb 27 Guest 62
New leader chosen for Tennessee-Tombigbee Water... Feb 27 Joe Jo 1
What's the best restaurant for romance in Gulf ... Feb 26 GulfLocal 1
West Beach Activity Feb 21 mossy seaman 2

Flood Warning for Baldwin County was issued at March 06 at 2:02AM CST

Foley Dating
Find my Match