Debate over police continues in Lower Macungie Township

If Ed Adamczak had his way, Lower Macungie would have created a police department years ago. Full Story
b careful what u wish 4

Bath, PA

#61 Aug 9, 2009
Honky Lips wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm responsible for my own well-being, I don't trust my life to the PSP or anybody else.
If you can't protect yourself, property and family then you're pretty much a baby.
Buy yourself a shotgun and revolver and when they fall be sure the door is smashed from the outside before you call the revenuers.
YOU.......are depending on others to protect your life and property which......will.......cause you to become a statisitic.
Not always the only reason you need a cop but, you seem to have all the answers so I done wasting my time with you!
b careful what u wish 4

Bath, PA

#62 Aug 9, 2009
Ryan wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually "b quiet", you're wrong. You can see these facts on the PSP website.
-The PSP patrols more than half of the state's 2,565 municipalities and the bulk of its rural areas.
-The PSP provides primary service for 27% of the Commonwealth's population, accounting for over 60% of the Commonwealth municipalities.
Just wait til all you people start fighting with each other there. See how much the state police like getting involved in those calls. Like I said, you guys just do not want to pay anything. You expect to get service just like place that have their own department but, you expect us to pay for your service while you are using it more then the rural areas and not having to pay more then even the people living in those areas!!! It only makes sense to you and ones like you who do not want to pay local taxes!!!!
grrrrrrr

Bethlehem, PA

#63 Aug 9, 2009
I dont understand why coplay police cant merg with whitehall police...would this not save money? or would this just make too much sense??????????
Ryan

Whitehall, PA

#64 Aug 9, 2009
b careful what u wish 4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Just wait til all you people start fighting with each other there. See how much the state police like getting involved in those calls. Like I said, you guys just do not want to pay anything. You expect to get service just like place that have their own department but, you expect us to pay for your service while you are using it more then the rural areas and not having to pay more then even the people living in those areas!!! It only makes sense to you and ones like you who do not want to pay local taxes!!!!
To be frank with you, you are a moron. I've said in at least two posts that I don't oppose paying for a police service. What I've said is that if we need to pay for a police service, State Police is the way to go. You sir are the exact reason that people get into these so called "fights". You read what you want and hear only what makes sense to yourself. I'm glad people like you aren't on the township board and aren't responsible to make decisions.
Oh Snap

New Tripoli, PA

#65 Aug 9, 2009
For those who don't understand. Macungie and Lower Macungie are not the same. Macungie is a borough and has their own police force. Lower Macungie is a township and is served excellently by the PA state police.
Vote them out

Sparta, NJ

#66 Aug 9, 2009
These supervisors are idiots who doesn't want Police protection in this day and age. The average State Police response time is 45minutes. They are so busy it isn't even funny. That is why this is nothing but the right move. Join the regional department it provides more services sure it is going to cost money but what doesn't cost money? The cost per resident is low and we will be safer PERIOD!!!!

Since: Mar 07

Bethlehem, PA

#67 Aug 9, 2009
Vote them out wrote:
These supervisors are idiots who doesn't want Police protection in this day and age. The average State Police response time is 45minutes. They are so busy it isn't even funny. That is why this is nothing but the right move. Join the regional department it provides more services sure it is going to cost money but what doesn't cost money? The cost per resident is low and we will be safer PERIOD!!!!

Here in Upper Macungie, we used the PSP, but now use the Berks-Lehigh Regional Police.

I've got nothing but good things to say about BLRP. They're responsive, involved with the community, they meet with neighborhood watch groups and provide information, they give presentations at schools, and they're great to deal with. They're not cocky jerks like the PSP.
Lower Mac

Emmaus, PA

#68 Aug 9, 2009
Some who are new to the area may not recall the proposal in the early 1990's by Rep. Snyder to form the East Penn Police Department, which was proposed to be a Regional PD made up of: Emmaus, Alburtis, Macungie, LOWER MACUNGIE and Upper Milford. It would have covered all of East Penn School District.
Guess who was the first municipality to opt out of that merger?? You bet it was Lower Macungie Twp!!!
Ironically, the Twp. would have gained the most while at the time having no law enforcement resources to offer to throw into the pot. I suppose it would have cost them a ton less than it will now. And the Twp. knew how much they were growing then too!
The State Police have been very good to the Township. The least you could do is pay your fair share to them.
Shortsightedness!

Since: Mar 07

Bethlehem, PA

#69 Aug 9, 2009
Lower Mac wrote:
Some who are new to the area may not recall the proposal in the early 1990's by Rep. Snyder to form the East Penn Police Department, which was proposed to be a Regional PD made up of: Emmaus, Alburtis, Macungie, LOWER MACUNGIE and Upper Milford. It would have covered all of East Penn School District.
Guess who was the first municipality to opt out of that merger?? You bet it was Lower Macungie Twp!!!
Ironically, the Twp. would have gained the most while at the time having no law enforcement resources to offer to throw into the pot. I suppose it would have cost them a ton less than it will now. And the Twp. knew how much they were growing then too!
The State Police have been very good to the Township. The least you could do is pay your fair share to them.
Shortsightedness!

Right now, as it stands today, does the PSP charge any municipality for patrols?

They are wealthy beyond belief - just with the State Income Tax that everyone pays.

They got 40-cal Berettas in the 1990s, and now they've all got new 45-cal Glocks.

I had asked before, if all they want to do is patrol highways and investigate major crimes, why do they need SWAT teams, horse teams, FLIRs, and canine units?

Maybe if they want to do less, they should cut their budget.
NoCrap

Bethlehem, PA

#70 Aug 9, 2009
The ppl in lower macungie are blessed to have real pro's like PSP....they will be better off paying the state for their services, rather than having a bunch of barney's tazing them for late night bbq's
b careful what u wish 4

Bath, PA

#71 Aug 9, 2009
Ryan wrote:
<quoted text>
To be frank with you, you are a moron. I've said in at least two posts that I don't oppose paying for a police service. What I've said is that if we need to pay for a police service, State Police is the way to go. You sir are the exact reason that people get into these so called "fights". You read what you want and hear only what makes sense to yourself. I'm glad people like you aren't on the township board and aren't responsible to make decisions.
Yes, you are right. In your second post you did say your were willing to pay. Your first post sounded a bit different, I stand corrected on that point.
NoCrap

Bethlehem, PA

#72 Aug 9, 2009
Oh pleez a bunch of wanna b tough guy's who get a thril out of the fire lane....if they r anything like colonial regional....lower macungie residents are screwed
Right Very Right wrote:
Simply JOIN BERKS/LEHIGH REGIONAL!
PERIOD!
knowledge

AOL

#73 Aug 9, 2009
NoCrap wrote:
Oh pleez a bunch of wanna b tough guy's who get a thril out of the fire lane....if they r anything like colonial regional....lower macungie residents are screwed<quoted text>
sounds like somebody got a ticket because that sign could could not possibly mean me.
koe

Allentown, PA

#74 Aug 9, 2009
we dont need cops. why so we can get a ticket 1 house down from our homes. and that school on saukraut baaad idea.
Lissa

Allentown, PA

#75 Aug 9, 2009
we are either going to pay a fee to keep the state police protecting us or a fee to have our own police force, wouldn't our own force make more sense? The response time on our own force would be much quicker........I had to call the state police for the first time last week, for a noise issue.......one that occured after 11pm...and I felt weird, felt like they were more important than that.....I shouldn't feel that way, I mean they are there for us as a township, but I think it would be better to call my own police force, one that I support and fund...and I don't mind supporting my own force
Robert

Allentown, PA

#76 Aug 9, 2009
SOme days I wonder if anyone here actually pays attention..........

The STATE, much like it has in the past, is considering CHARGING municipalities like Lower Macungie a per household fee to support an increase in force structure made neccessary by it's involvement in LOCAL law enforcement.

Now, for those of you who didn't live here last time this came up? The proposed fee is intended to be large enough to encourage townships to either form their own police departments or join in together with other townships or municipalities.

Colonial Regional does a fine job. I see them every day and not once have they infringed on my life in any way.

One way or the other, Lower Mac's free ride is over. As it should be.
TheTruth

Philadelphia, PA

#77 Aug 9, 2009
Robert wrote:
SOme days I wonder if anyone here actually pays attention..........
The STATE, much like it has in the past, is considering CHARGING municipalities like Lower Macungie a per household fee to support an increase in force structure made neccessary by it's involvement in LOCAL law enforcement.
Now, for those of you who didn't live here last time this came up? The proposed fee is intended to be large enough to encourage townships to either form their own police departments or join in together with other townships or municipalities.
Colonial Regional does a fine job. I see them every day and not once have they infringed on my life in any way.
One way or the other, Lower Mac's free ride is over. As it should be.
Very well put! Pay up or shut up LMT
Jersey Duke

AOL

#78 Aug 9, 2009
Sturla has it all backward. The state is responsible for police protection. If a township wants additional police they should have to pay for it. That is fair, not the other way around!
b careful what u wish 4

Bath, PA

#79 Aug 9, 2009
TheTruth wrote:
<quoted text>
Very well put! Pay up or shut up LMT
I second it!!!
REGIONALIZE

Allentown, PA

#80 Aug 9, 2009
How about having your police department cover the same area as the local school district. This would drop the 2400 police departments in the state down to 501. Better yet, drop it down to a countywide department. This would then become 67 police departments. MORE INDIANS AND LESS CHIEFS! This would take a change in state law. Unfortunately we have the idiots in Harrisburg so this will most likely never happen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fogelsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trick-or-treat times scheduled (Oct '08) 3 hr rose 68
Trick-Or-Treat Nights in the Lehigh Valley -- t... (Oct '07) Oct 18 Andrea Black 247
Weekly Alarm Oct 14 Richard Kranium 2
Woman dies after walking in front of truck on I-78 (Jun '09) Oct 8 Richard Kranium 4
Tamaqua drug sweep nets 20 Oct 8 Richard Kranium 26
Woman arrested for snorting coke with child in car Sep '14 Richard Kranium 19
Review: Jetson Specialty Marketing Services Inc (Dec '12) Sep '14 kjl 2

Fogelsville News Video

Fogelsville Dating
Find my Match

Fogelsville Jobs

Fogelsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Fogelsville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Fogelsville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]