Roofers rip shingles from wrong house

Roofers rip shingles from wrong house

There are 62 comments on the www.dallasnews.com story from May 23, 2008, titled Roofers rip shingles from wrong house. In it, www.dallasnews.com reports that:

A Lewisville woman is struggling to get a roof back over her head after a roofing crew ripped the shingles off the wrong house – hers. A crew from Dallas-based Bold Roofing was supposed to re-roof house No. 1248 on Margaret Malin's street. Instead, they went No. 1208 – Malin's house – and removed the shingles before realizing their error.

Bold Roofing owner Robert Bold admitted the mistake and said his company has made a similar error only once before, 18 years ago. He said he made it right then and is trying to do so now by offering Ms. Malin discounts and upgrades. But he has thus far refused to offer a free replacement.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.dallasnews.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Bold Indeed

Lewisville, TX

#1 May 24, 2008
I've seen their signs all around the community and was considering calling them...but...their mistake, they should make it right, no matter what. Discounts don't quite cut it.

“Time flies like an arrow...”

Since: Mar 07

"fruit flies like a banana"

#2 May 24, 2008
Bold Indeed wrote:
I've seen their signs all around the community and was considering calling them...but...their mistake, they should make it right, no matter what. Discounts don't quite cut it.
I agree! What's to stop an unscrupulous roofer (or landscaper or painter...) from removing a homeowner's current roof (trees/plants, paint...) and then demanding money to fix it?

Mr. Bold needs to step up to the plate and restore this homeowner's roof or the homeowner should take his butt to court.

I pay for my mistakes. Oh! And I have to carry errors and omissions insurance on my business, too.

Come on, Mr. Bold. Make this right!
james

Arlington, TX

#3 May 24, 2008
they stole someone's roof? an' now they think their victim should pay to git it put back?
EricDallas

Denton, TX

#4 May 24, 2008
I would have another company come over and fix it just the way I wanted and then send the bill to Bold. When he doesn't pay, call a lawyer. I wouldn't play with this guy. If I tore off someone's roof, I would expect to replace it. How could youeven consider having the owner come out of the pocket with anything. It doesn't matter is her roof was 500 years old. You are the one that made the mistake, and need to act like a man and fix it. Going to cost you. Maybe next time you will make sure you're at the right house.

Th ewhole thing sounds like a scam anyway. You "accidently" tear off her roof, then want to give her a discount.

Get real. I would own your company if you did that to me.
Whitney

Cleburne, TX

#5 May 26, 2008
What a complete joke of a company, they should be kissing up to this person all the while replacing the roof for free. Their mistake, their loss. For them to consider charging the person is just ridiculous. If they could get away with that, it would be the greatest roofing scam ever.

Since: May 08

Dallas

#6 May 26, 2008
the consensus is....GET REAL BOLD roofing. Your illegal workers tear off this womans roof and THEN you expect her to pay for the repairs. what a joke ! BTW if you tore of my roof by accident you would be fixing it at NO COST to me. the nerve of these idiots !

Dallas

#7 May 26, 2008
[email protected] <[email protected]>

please let this guy know he's a crook and he better make this mistake right.
Martia

Dallas, TX

#8 May 26, 2008
EricDallas wrote:
I would have another company come over and fix it just the way I wanted and then send the bill to Bold. When he doesn't pay, call a lawyer...... You are the one that made the mistake, and need to act like a man and fix it. Going to cost you. Maybe next time you will make sure you're at the right house.
Th ewhole thing sounds like a scam anyway. You "accidently" tear off her roof, then want to give her a discount.
Get real. I would own your company if you did that to me.
I'd be very careful calling any lawyer. There are many, many rip-offs...... in the roofing business..... and also in law firms.... they are all out for what they can take you for. Everything needs to be in writing, and then you must read very, very carefully.
Zap

Dallas, TX

#9 May 27, 2008
It rained. Did the roof get repaired or is the roofer now paying for water damage and personal suffering?
Poster Bored

Arlington, TX

#10 May 27, 2008
Discounts and upgrades!

What an idiot - replace the roof.
james

Arlington, TX

#11 May 28, 2008
if a roofin' company was to steal my roof an' leave my stuff inna rain i'd likely kill'em all an' go take ovur the boss' house.

Location hidden

#12 May 28, 2008
how do you know if it was illegal workers who did the damages? its getting harder for these people to get jobs now. so do some more research before you start dissing on them.*rolls eyes*
white flight wrote:
the consensus is....GET REAL BOLD roofing. Your illegal workers tear off this womans roof and THEN you expect her to pay for the repairs. what a joke ! BTW if you tore of my roof by accident you would be fixing it at NO COST to me. the nerve of these idiots !

Little Rock, Ar

#13 May 28, 2008
WOW!!! This guy has got some nerve. You accidentally tear off somebody's roof, then want them to give you money to "upgrade" or fix it. I wouldn't even trust this guy to fix it. I would hire another company and make him pay for it. There's got to be a lawsuit brewing here. If a lady can get a million dollars from McDonalds for spilling hot coffee in her lap, what's the roof over your head worth????

Dallas

#14 May 28, 2008
Cindy1685 wrote:
how do you know if it was illegal workers who did the damages? its getting harder for these people to get jobs now. so do some more research before you start dissing on them.*rolls eyes*
<quoted text>
No I'm pretty sure they were illegal. Who are you refering to when you say "them"?
Sherry Nicole Langston

Garland, TX

#15 May 31, 2008
With all the fly by night roofing companies that show up when a hailstorm hits the metroplex, I'm grateful to have a company such as Bold Roofing. Mr. Bold grew up in Richardson and has been locally owned and operated in Dallas/Ft.Worth for 32 years. I've checked with the BBB and his current standing with them is to say the least impressive! Come on folks, give the guy a break. 2 MISTAKES IN 32 YEARS OF QUALITY SERVICE, is pretty impressive. And why is everyone accusing him of asking the homeowner to pay for his mistake? That's not what he said. It was clearly state that Bold Roofing Co. offered upgrades, deductable to be payed by Bold, etc.. Bold Roofing is with out a doubt one of the best there is when it comes to roofing. Check thier references and BBB status before you sit down at your computer and start typing, when you've obviously done no research about this co. or it's owner!!!!

“Only here for 75 or so years.”

Since: Feb 08

Grover Beach CA.

#16 May 31, 2008
Sherry Nicole Langston wrote:
With all the fly by night roofing companies that show up when a hailstorm hits the metroplex, I'm grateful to have a company such as Bold Roofing. Mr. Bold grew up in Richardson and has been locally owned and operated in Dallas/Ft.Worth for 32 years. I've checked with the BBB and his current standing with them is to say the least impressive! Come on folks, give the guy a break. 2 MISTAKES IN 32 YEARS OF QUALITY SERVICE, is pretty impressive. And why is everyone accusing him of asking the homeowner to pay for his mistake? That's not what he said. It was clearly state that Bold Roofing Co. offered upgrades, deductable to be payed by Bold, etc.. Bold Roofing is with out a doubt one of the best there is when it comes to roofing. Check thier references and BBB status before you sit down at your computer and start typing, when you've obviously done no research about this co. or it's owner!!!!
^Loyal secretary for Mr. Bold

LMAO.

“Time flies like an arrow...”

Since: Mar 07

"fruit flies like a banana"

#17 May 31, 2008
Mistakes happen. Its what we do about them afterward that show our true character.

If my company (a networking company) showed up at the wrong data center and removed the cables, servers, routers and telco connections, do you really think I could get by with offering to pay the insurance deductible (and have their insurance company pay the rest)? No way! MY insurance company may be called on to pay the damages due to my error, but certainly not the homeowner's insurance company.

The question is, who is at fault? The homeowner or the roofing company? Unless the homeowner had the wrong address on the front of her house, the answer is obvious.

“Pet me or I'll bite you”

Since: Jul 07

Richardson, Texas

#18 May 31, 2008
pragmatist wrote:
<quoted text>
Mistakes happen. Its what we do about them afterward that show our true character.
If my company (a networking company) showed up at the wrong data center and removed the cables, servers, routers and telco connections, do you really think I could get by with offering to pay the insurance deductible (and have their insurance company pay the rest)? No way! MY insurance company may be called on to pay the damages due to my error, but certainly not the homeowner's insurance company.
The question is, who is at fault? The homeowner or the roofing company? Unless the homeowner had the wrong address on the front of her house, the answer is obvious.
Pragmatic, logical, sensible answer.

I'd only add one thing: If he installed upgrades such as radiant barrier,'whirley-birds', or ridge vents, by the homeowner's choice, then I'd say the homeowner can pay for those...at a discount. Otherwise, yes, Bold roofing should replace their roof and give a guarantee.

If the owner is short of cash on materials, so be it.

I own a landscape and building company and mistakes do happen, windows do break. So be it. I've had to replace flowerbeds for free if we tear out wrong plants, I've replaced a screen door that shattered, and paid to have scratches on cars fixed. It's the cost of doing legitimate business.
Sherry Nicole Langston

Woodway, TX

#19 Jun 1, 2008
Kev-0 wrote:
<quoted text>
^Loyal secretary for Mr. Bold
LMAO.

Loyal secretary? I don't think so. This co. has replaced not only my grandmothers roof, but many other roofs of friends and family for 10+ years. Let's put the facts on the table once and for all. All opinions aside. The homeowner received the money for her roof to be replaced by her insurance co. less her deductable. Mr. Bold has more than stepped up to the plate. He offered to cover the full deductable, and upgrade to a much better class of shingle for the homeowners' roof. Which is expensive. However, Mr. Bold,admits to any mistakes made by Bold Roofing Co. and goes the distance to set them right. His company is based on customer satisfaction, and his referrals speak for themselves. This homeowner, received a check from her insurance to have her roof replaced, and the roof was replaced. Bold has offered no out of pocket expense to her, but she's still not happy. It would seem to me that she wanted to keep the insurance proceeds to spend elsewhere. That's insurance fraud!! The reason we're all paying higher premiums today!!

“Only here for 75 or so years.”

Since: Feb 08

Grover Beach CA.

#20 Jun 1, 2008
<quoted text>
Loyal secretary? I don't think so. This co. has replaced not only my grandmothers roof, but many other roofs of friends and family for 10+ years. Let's put the facts on the table once and for all. All opinions aside. The homeowner received the money for her roof to be replaced by her insurance co. less her deductable. Mr. Bold has more than stepped up to the plate. He offered to cover the full deductable, and upgrade to a much better class of shingle for the homeowners' roof. Which is expensive. However, Mr. Bold,admits to any mistakes made by Bold Roofing Co. and goes the distance to set them right. His company is based on customer satisfaction, and his referrals speak for themselves. This homeowner, received a check from her insurance to have her roof replaced, and the roof was replaced. Bold has offered no out of pocket expense to her, but she's still not happy. It would seem to me that she wanted to keep the insurance proceeds to spend elsewhere. That's insurance fraud!! The reason we're all paying higher premiums today!!
fascinating.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Flower Mound Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
dangerous church in lewisville Jun 16 Jeremy J 1
AT&T Employees Should Be Careful (Dec '08) Jun 14 chuck d 37
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jun 13 robert 994
"Already Gone" novel about Southlake - quite pr... Jun 10 alreadygonebook 1
Open minded places to work in Grapevine? Jun 7 onionslice 9
Reids Auto Connection (Aug '10) Jun 5 Juan H 28
Pros & Cons of Texas Living (Sep '06) Jun 1 NEforever 125

Flower Mound Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Flower Mound Mortgages