Pros & Cons of Texas Living

Posted in the Flower Mound Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Ruth

Lake Forest, CA

#1 Sep 13, 2006
We are thinking of a move to Texas from California. Primarily the Highland Village, Flower Mound, Lewisville area near a family member. I'd really appriciate any opinions on the pro's & con's of a move like this. We are semi retired so jobs are not really an issue. I've heard about the extremely high property taxes (which is a bit scary)
But what about electric, gas, phone service, general food prices etc. Has anyone made a move from CA to TX? Do you think it was a good move?
Thanks for any opinions....
T James

Chula Vista, CA

#2 Nov 16, 2006
I am planning on the same.. can anyone help..
lisa

Lewisville, TX

#3 Nov 25, 2006
T James wrote:
I am planning on the same.. can anyone help..
I lived in LA for 5 years. I moved back to Texas because the cost of living, expecialy housing, was so high in LA. I live in Highland Village and I am very glad that we moved back. The property taxes are high but you can own a great home for $200,000. Highland Village is a very nice community in the DFW area There is very little crime in this area and the people are great. There are a lot of hot months in Texas and in the summer, my electric bill was around $400.00 for a 2200 sq ft. My car insurance is much cheaper here than it was in LA. The best thing that I love about being in Texas.......No Earthquakes!
dani shannon

Fort Worth, TX

#4 Feb 12, 2007
Houses are cheap but I pay 5,500 in taxes for my 209,000 home. It's big though (2600 sq ft) and brand new which I couldn't afford in San Diego. We've been here 3 years and here's the deal....The milk, gas and bread are cheap. Everything else is the same. Oh, and you must run your air in the summer which is an added expense we weren't ready for. Get ready for bad roads (like tijuana!). As a christian I'm glad we're raising our children here but I miss the Beach. Cool activities cost money here, where as in S.D. the beach, mountains, desert was free. I'm homesick but the Lord has done a good work in our marriage since we left our home town with all the old haunts! I hope that helps!
moving from CT to TX

AOL

#5 Sep 22, 2007
I am really thinking of moving to Tx from CT. We own our home, taxes, insurance, traffic, and the cold is just killing.. (I have lupus and other issues).. My husband lived in Tx when he was younger..and would love to go back.. I would not mind, I needs some pros and cons about this.. Money is my thing..If we sell our home we wont make anything off of it.. and trying to find a place there.. can anyone help with in put..thank you T
emm

Spring, TX

#6 Sep 22, 2008
If you're looking for cheap housing TX is good. I've always lived here though and cant wait to get out.
David

Oklahoma City, OK

#7 Nov 15, 2008
Highland Village is great!
lots of trees, nature, outdoor recreation, good shopping, a lot of home for the money, summer utility bills are not as high as someone else listed, if you have a newer home. The schools are exemplary and the crime rate is lowest in Texas for 4 years. there are two months a year that it is hot, but remember the winters are mild and can be enjoyed.
stonewall

Plano, TX

#8 Nov 25, 2008
On of the negatives to living here is people bring their social policy from whence they came. Texas is unique. We welcome you with open arms but please be respectful.
Tiffany

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Aug 11, 2009
Hello everyone! I am actually moving to San Antonio from Minnesota the end of the month. I have been hearing mixed reviews on the good and bad things of Texas..mostly the bugs and the weather. Which I know it's hot but I can live with. Anything else I need to know before I make the trek lol
Eric

Denton, TX

#11 Sep 30, 2009
Texas is a wonderful place to live with many cities to choose from. There is a lot of pride here but it's all in good fun. I was born in El Paso Tx and moved out to Phoenix for a few years and now moved to Dallas. The economy is a lot stronger out here and is growing rapidly in all major cities. Texas is a huge place and is welcomed to all because there is more then enough room for everyone to find a place of their own to call home.
Robert

Argyle, TX

#12 Oct 3, 2009
I would highly recommend a move to Texas to anyone, especially the Dallas area! No State personal income tax is a big reason. The cost of living is about one half of what California is, and about ONE FOURTH of what CT is (we moved from Weston)! In addition, people are generally much more caring, nice and very religious. For the most part, the people I have met here are also very well-read, well educated and friendly. Plenty of great restaurants and the private schools are second to none!(We are still praying for the Public School system, however.....I'm sure it will recover, in spite of recent reports).
Yee haw! Come to Texas y'all!
lll

Chicago, IL

#13 Oct 3, 2009
2 hott
Argylite

Argyle, TX

#14 Oct 8, 2009
Hurry up and seal the borders. The last thing we need is more Californians to jack up the property values and buy up the land in Texas. And while we're at it let's keep the yanks out as well. There goes the neighborhood.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
BuckeyeOhioYank

United States

#15 Dec 25, 2009
Hey Argylite, us yanks won the Civil War and you Rebels lost it, so we can move where we choose. Accept your defeat.
Midwesterner

Dallas, TX

#16 Jan 9, 2010
Texans like Argylite could use Midwesterners in their state to give it real balance. There are no greater people in the US than midwesterners... Except for 87% of the politicians of course... The Midwest is great except for the climate... So the South gets it for the climate... Damn that Global Warming!!!... it's screwing up your weather today!
msboojay

United States

#17 Feb 10, 2010
YANKS????Are you caught in some time warp??? The war has been over for way too many years..LMBO. I have interest in Texas but not if people are caught in a time warp such as Argylite---who happens to behave like Texas is not a part of the UNITED States. Hilarious! I am interested in Dallas because I hear that is where the well off stay. Coming from northern VA it might do me some good to be near a city. How are the schools there?? Crime an issue??? Seasons/weather????
Love Texas

United States

#18 Feb 13, 2010
I love Texas!
Maggy5

Bethpage, NY

#19 Feb 20, 2010
I am planning to move from NY to Georgia or Texas by July 2010. I have three boys, married and I am a Register Nurse. I need some opinions about this two stated. Which one will better enviroment for my kids. Please let me know your opinios. Thank u
Shamariyah

United States

#20 Feb 23, 2010
Hey hey,

My family and i are from MN and moving to el paso TX... i plan to go to UTEP... anyone know anything about the college???
Matthew Lewis

United States

#21 Mar 10, 2010
I moved to Texas from Florida about a year ago. I like the weather is weird but it changes so rapidly. If you want a good deal on your electric bill visit my website its www.mjlenergy.com . Our rates are the lowest and you can earn a free 3 day/2 night vacation just for trying the service.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Flower Mound Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Open minded places to work in Grapevine? May 23 spinosaurus baryonyx 6
News Texas woman sells 'housebroken' bison she let w... May 18 Here piggy piggy ... 5
Missing puppy- PLEASE HELP FIND!!! May 17 spinosaurus baryonyx 1
Missing dog May 17 spinosaurus baryonyx 1
Lewisville Masonic Lodge Fish Fry This Saturday May 17 Anonymous 1
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) May 14 Jack 993
News Mountain Lion Sighting Reported Near Grapevine ... (Sep '08) May 6 21rit 34
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Flower Mound Mortgages