Point Austin: We Want Your Urine

Nov 22, 2012 Full story: The Austin Chronicle 8

You might think Gov. Rick Perry and Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst, having recently endured ignominious defeats in runs for higher office, might want to lie low for a while instead of going headline-shopping. Yet, there they were last week grandstanding a pre-filed bill by Sen.

Full Story
Researcher

Killeen, TX

#1 Nov 23, 2012
I suspect we'd better check to see how much stock Rick Perry has in a drug-testing company or how much he was bribed to support this.

I don't care if young, working-aged, healthy people asking for taxpayer dollars are asked to pee in a cup. Fine. Good.

I do care about a useless expenditure of hundreds of thousands of dollars to test the mostly old and/or sick people and the children who make up the vast majority of people on welfare.

In other states, where somebody got rich off of drug-testing welfare recipients, only a miniscule number of positive results were found.

I also think Perry and all the legislators should be tested.

That's only fair.
Austinite

Austin, TX

#2 Nov 25, 2012
I think adults collecting any form of welfare because they cannot or will not support themselves should be subject to random drug testing. If they are positive for drugs then they are off welfare for 30 days and must test clean, at their financial expense. If they are clean at the next random test then their welfare starts again but they do not collect any back welfare.
If people on welfare have money for drugs, including alcohol or tobacco then they do not need to be on welfare.
The problem is that many adults, especially illegal aliens collect welfare off their kids and not themselves and people will cry foul if these poor kids do not get the welfare because of the adult drugging.
The cost of the testing should be on the state but on the welfare recipient if they fail and want their welfare back. If a person fails three times while on welfare they should be barred from welfare for at least one full year.
really

Omaha, NE

#3 Nov 25, 2012
Austinite wrote:
I think adults collecting any form of welfare because they cannot or will not support themselves should be subject to random drug testing. If they are positive for drugs then they are off welfare for 30 days and must test clean, at their financial expense. If they are clean at the next random test then their welfare starts again but they do not collect any back welfare.
If people on welfare have money for drugs, including alcohol or tobacco then they do not need to be on welfare.
The problem is that many adults, especially illegal aliens collect welfare off their kids and not themselves and people will cry foul if these poor kids do not get the welfare because of the adult drugging.
The cost of the testing should be on the state but on the welfare recipient if they fail and want their welfare back. If a person fails three times while on welfare they should be barred from welfare for at least one full year.
Right on!
Just Me

Fort Worth, TX

#4 Nov 25, 2012
Austinite wrote:
They are banned for much longer than a year for food stamps, and for some benefits it is a lifetime.
Door King

Corpus Christi, TX

#5 Nov 25, 2012
If cops want to test something they can sample the sewers and pinpoint where drug use is the heaviest; they've shown zero interest in this technoloy.
Sheik Yerbouti

Pennington, NJ

#6 Dec 4, 2012
drug test the politicians. They take government money don't they?
Researcher

Killeen, TX

#7 Dec 6, 2012
Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
drug test the politicians. They take government money don't they?
That's the best idea I've heard recently!
tman

Walbridge, OH

#8 Dec 6, 2012
I also think that you should not be allowed to drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes if you are on social security. No one should have any fun in life if someone else is paying you.
It is pathetic that people think just because someone likes to catch a cheap buzz at the end of the day that they are a drug addict leaching off society.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Flower Mound Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Dalrock Transport LLC 12 hr carl 5
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 12 hr 98 Degree Diarrhea 595
Flood Lights (Sep '10) Dec 8 helen 4
NEPAL'S BINDU PARIYAR in DFW, XXX Star (Feb '14) Dec 8 0097470027317 shi... 3
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Nov 29 Fartology 752
Ex-officer admits several scams (Dec '06) Nov '14 roxiedenea 165
Review: Edible Arrangements Nov '14 Lisa Ault 1

Flower Mound News Video

Flower Mound Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Flower Mound People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Flower Mound News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Flower Mound

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]