Florissant Mayor to Present 2013 Budg...

Florissant Mayor to Present 2013 Budget Proposal Monday Night

There are 60 comments on the Patch.com story from Sep 24, 2012, titled Florissant Mayor to Present 2013 Budget Proposal Monday Night. In it, Patch.com reports that:

During Monday night's Florissant City Council meeting, Mayor Tom Schneider will give insight into the 2013 fiscal year budget with his mayoral message.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Patch.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
John C Engelmeyer

Saint Louis, MO

#1 Oct 1, 2012
The proposed budget for the Fiscal year 2013 is just over 31.5 Million dollars. The Public Hearing for this Proposed Budget is Monday evening (Oct 8th) at the Florissant City Hall starting at 7:30PM This Public Hearing is where YOU as a citizen have an opportunity to discuss your ideas concerning your City. Ideas such as Parks, Streets, Police and what can serve you as a citizen of this community. This is a chance for the City Council to hear from YOU! I can not say this enough but this is OUR City not YOUR City. This meeting is open to the public so stand up and make a difference. If YOU think the City is doing well, then speak out and tell the City Council Members. If you want to see a different service or program for the betterment of the community, then speak out. Thank you and I am not running for ANY elected office.
Nikki McMillan

Florissant, MO

#2 Oct 2, 2012
John C Engelmeyer wrote:
The proposed budget for the Fiscal year 2013 is just over 31.5 Million dollars. The Public Hearing for this Proposed Budget is Monday evening (Oct 8th) at the Florissant City Hall starting at 7:30PM This Public Hearing is where YOU as a citizen have an opportunity to discuss your ideas concerning your City. Ideas such as Parks, Streets, Police and what can serve you as a citizen of this community. This is a chance for the City Council to hear from YOU! I can not say this enough but this is OUR City not YOUR City. This meeting is open to the public so stand up and make a difference. If YOU think the City is doing well, then speak out and tell the City Council Members. If you want to see a different service or program for the betterment of the community, then speak out. Thank you and I am not running for ANY elected office.
I will attend and I do have a concern that I would like to express assuming time will allow.

My concern is the number of teens and young people gathering in large groups in several neighborhoods. To clarify before anyone begins making prejudicial remarks the kids are not just black youths. As far as I know there have not been major problems relating to the gatherings. However, a few seniors at the civic center meetings have stated that such groups make them "nervous". And I also wonder if having large groups (as many as 20 or more) congregating on a neigborhood street wouldn't appear in a negative light for anyone wanting to sell, buy or refinance or whatever to their property.

A minor concern is street lighting but I was told the issue should be addressed with Ameren and not the city. So I would like to find out if that is accurate information or not.
rob peter to pay paul

United States

#3 Oct 3, 2012
The Mayors budget borrows almost two million from reserve to artificially balance his paper budget.
On shrinking revenues, he proposes expense and salary increases on the back of the emergency reserve.
He learned well from his mentors.

Wake up taxpayers.

If this passes, there will be tax increases in Florissant.
speak up

United States

#4 Oct 3, 2012
Florissant tax payees. Speak up. Contact your council person, express your concerns.

Go to meeting. Call council. Email and FAX your comments. Speak up.
Floman

United States

#5 Oct 3, 2012
rob peter to pay paul wrote:
The Mayors budget borrows almost two million from reserve to artificially balance his paper budget.
On shrinking revenues, he proposes expense and salary increases on the back of the emergency reserve.
He learned well from his mentors.

Wake up taxpayers.

If this passes, there will be tax increases in Florissant.
You obviously don't know what you are talking about. Florissant doesn't have a property tax and the utility tax is at the highest allowable amount (7%) therefore there are no taxes to raise!!!
rob peter

United States

#6 Oct 3, 2012
Floman wrote:
<quoted text>You obviously don't know what you are talking about. Florissant doesn't have a property tax and the utility tax is at the highest allowable amount (7%) therefore there are no taxes to raise!!!
They can bring back property taxes with out a vote, only takes council action.
They reduced it too zero but didn't get rid of the mechanism.
Lucky citizen

Florissant, MO

#7 Oct 3, 2012
rob peter wrote:
<quoted text>
They can bring back property taxes with out a vote, only takes council action.
They reduced it too zero but didn't get rid of the mechanism.
Florissant citizens are very lucky that they don't have a property tax. Most other areas of any similar size population have property taxes, utility taxes, and other taxes. Count your blessings.
rob peter

United States

#8 Oct 4, 2012
Lucky citizen wrote:
<quoted text>Florissant citizens are very lucky that they don't have a property tax. Most other areas of any similar size population have property taxes, utility taxes, and other taxes. Count your blessings.
You are so correct, but that is because they have been conservative in the past and very careful with the tax money. This mayor has just proposed a budget that requires almost two million dollars of reserve funds to balance this budget. The look forward projections also call for the use of reserves.
John C Engelmeyer

Saint Louis, MO

#9 Oct 4, 2012
I want to that this opportunity to say "Thanks" to those who have responded to this forum. I was thinking that I was the only person concerned or even to address the City Proposed Budget for 2013. I hope more individuals get involved with your/our local government without choosing sides but we, the citizens, get the govenment WE deserve. So once again THANK YOU for all of your comments and/or concerns. Take time and listen/join/attend the City Council Meeting on Monday, October 8th.
Mark B

Florissant, MO

#10 Oct 4, 2012
Watch the mayor’s public announcement from the last council meeting on September 24. He clearly stated that the city’s general revenue is down, which is true across the nation. But the supplemental capital income and Parks income (additional taxes we pay) are UP. Keep in mind as he stated the city refinanced city bonds (cash back lower rate) but extended the payback term.(These additional funds financed capital improvements this past year). This year’s budget (2013), as the mayor’s stated, they are ADDING 2% salary wage increase plus a 5% increase in insurance premiums. So the final analysis is - costs are going up and income is going down (except for collected city taxes). Keep in mind what the VALUE is (cost) of (2% salaries and a 5% insurance) for this year, BUT ALSO, every year “HEREAFTER”. He also stated that the city will use (borrow from within)$1.3 million from reserves (savings account) to fulfill this year’s budget. This $1.3 million with additional excess is anticipated to be returned to the reserves at the end of the year. Allegedly adding to our reserves at the end of the year 2013.
My questions are simple -- With income still declining, cost continuing to increase, adding additional salaries, adding a wage increase an step, and incurring higher insurance costs,
What are we going to CUT during the year to REFUND $1.3 million with additional excess to the reserves? Who has these financial numbers? Who is projecting and anticipating these financial numbers? And why is there not a thorough “clear to understand”(transparent) budget posted?
I know I’m rushing my questions and must be patient.

Make no mistake – as a citizen I am in favor of salary increases for all of those who protect and serve us as well as city employees. I am in favor of capital improvements to our city assets as well as our city infrastructure. But all of these decisions must be palatable and understood by us citizens. The more that citizens are aware of, strengthens our community collectively. If the citizens of the city are informed and fully understand all of the positive things that are occurring for our community, it leaves little to question. Apathy has played our community - there is a huge disconnect. It is our city’s leadership and administration responsibility to identify and correct, starting with a true transparent budget.
MB

Belleville, IL

#11 Oct 4, 2012
Mark B wrote:
Watch the mayor’s public announcement from the last council meeting on September 24. He clearly stated that the city’s general revenue is down, which is true across the nation. But the supplemental capital income and Parks income (additional taxes we pay) are UP. Keep in mind as he stated the city refinanced city bonds (cash back lower rate) but extended the payback term.(These additional funds financed capital improvements this past year). This year’s budget (2013), as the mayor’s stated, they are ADDING 2% salary wage increase plus a 5% increase in insurance premiums. So the final analysis is - costs are going up and income is going down (except for collected city taxes). Keep in mind what the VALUE is (cost) of (2% salaries and a 5% insurance) for this year, BUT ALSO, every year “HEREAFTER”. He also stated that the city will use (borrow from within)$1.3 million from reserves (savings account) to fulfill this year’s budget. This $1.3 million with additional excess is anticipated to be returned to the reserves at the end of the year. Allegedly adding to our reserves at the end of the year 2013.
My questions are simple -- With income still declining, cost continuing to increase, adding additional salaries, adding a wage increase an step, and incurring higher insurance costs,
What are we going to CUT during the year to REFUND $1.3 million with additional excess to the reserves? Who has these financial numbers? Who is projecting and anticipating these financial numbers? And why is there not a thorough “clear to understand”(transparent) budget posted?
I know I’m rushing my questions and must be patient.
Make no mistake – as a citizen I am in favor of salary increases for all of those who protect and serve us as well as city employees. I am in favor of capital improvements to our city assets as well as our city infrastructure. But all of these decisions must be palatable and understood by us citizens. The more that citizens are aware of, strengthens our community collectively. If the citizens of the city are informed and fully understand all of the positive things that are occurring for our community, it leaves little to question. Apathy has played our community - there is a huge disconnect. It is our city’s leadership and administration responsibility to identify and correct, starting with a true transparent budget.
MB
I believe the mayor said he is estimating returning 1.3 million from the 2012 budget,essentially a balanced budget.
Mark B

Florissant, MO

#12 Oct 4, 2012
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the mayor said he is estimating returning 1.3 million from the 2012 budget,essentially a balanced budget.
I stand corrected. Under further review the mayor did state, the 1.3 million needed to be borrowed from reserve to present a balanced 2013 budget would come from this year's 2012 budget turn back. This is actually better and subsequently will not have to wait a year. Sometime in January 2013 after the 2012 books are rectified a true comparison can be audited. A copy from 2011 of the proposed budget for 2012 can be laid side by side of the reconciled budget of 2012. This is actually great news, it will then show in a positive way where reductions can be made. These budgetary reductions should be loudly voiced and promoted in good light. This is commendable, but as in all cases, the work must be shown as to how you arrive at that answer.
A broken clock is right twice a day. Mark
one time revenue

United States

#13 Oct 5, 2012
Mark B wrote:
<quoted text>I stand corrected. Under further review the mayor did state, the 1.3 million needed to be borrowed from reserve to present a balanced 2013 budget would come from this year's 2012 budget turn back. This is actually better and subsequently will not have to wait a year. Sometime in January 2013 after the 2012 books are rectified a true comparison can be audited. A copy from 2011 of the proposed budget for 2012 can be laid side by side of the reconciled budget of 2012. This is actually great news, it will then show in a positive way where reductions can be made. These budgetary reductions should be loudly voiced and promoted in good light. This is commendable, but as in all cases, the work must be shown as to how you arrive at that answer.
A broken clock is right twice a day. Mark
If I remember correctly, the past two years, Florissant received some unbudgeted one time revenue.
A court ordered sales tax boost from annexations and a one time cell phone settlement. Combined with bond refinance they have recorded some unearned nonreoccuring income to help. If it weren't for these revenues, Florissant would be posting negatives.
concerned voter

Florissant, MO

#14 Oct 5, 2012
Florissant employees are some of the highest paid in the county. Plus WE pay for all of their health insurance, and part of their family insurance, uniforms etc. Why do you think so many employees stay with the city once hired?
So lets lay off some of them, or cut out some dead wood, and give a modest increast to those left, with the message that they either work or will be gone next time. With unemployement so high, the line to get their jobs should be long.
that works

United States

#15 Oct 5, 2012
concerned voter wrote:
Florissant employees are some of the highest paid in the county. Plus WE pay for all of their health insurance, and part of their family insurance, uniforms etc. Why do you think so many employees stay with the city once hired?
So lets lay off some of them, or cut out some dead wood, and give a modest increast to those left, with the message that they either work or will be gone next time. With unemployement so high, the line to get their jobs should be long.
That works on the real world.

Tax money just too easy to spend.

No accountability.
Mark B

Florissant, MO

#16 Oct 5, 2012
I cannot deny or confirm city employees salary comparisons. I have experience with dozens of city employees. Most (not all) do a fine job on behalf of the city. Unfortunately employee morale and loyalty are at an all time low. Many employees do stay with the city for a long time but if you observe very closely you will realize many are jumping ship. Recently in my public record of making difficult decisions stands for itself, related to layoffs. I fully agree, the work force has a long line just waiting.
Dealing with the school district budget we fully understand the difficulty projecting income revenue. And yes it is “one time monies”,(which many people do not understand). But what is controllable, are expenses. A good philosophy is to never SPEND more than you have, "elementary".

Another good trick to make the bottom line look good for the end of the year budget, is to budget for capital improvements that quietly throughout the year are deliberately scratched. The whole intent of a budget is to publicly announce your honest intent of spending and holding to it. If there is an unforeseen public costly event then measures need to be taken and aggressive reductions need to be enforced in order to stay under the public budget. This is a public budget.
Transparency and honesty between administration and the general public must be fostered.

As only 1 example, the city budgeted in order to purchase (in bulk) and save money, a salt storage building. Is it going to be built in this year's budget? What else was budgeted for 2012 that may not get completed in order to provide $1.3 million of surplus turn back funds? I am in favor of tightening our belts, spending wisely and efficiently, something that hasn't been done in past years. I believe the public needs to be advised every month at a public meeting as to where the finances (our tax dollars) of the city stand. Isn't that what we all do in our own households? Just because the Federal and state gov't, doesn't do it publicly (via video broadcast) they do provide it on their web sites. If the Feds were held accountable in reporting to the general public do you think we would be in such a financial crisis today? Local control has merits. Mark
raising new revenue

United States

#17 Oct 6, 2012
Install more red light and speed cameras. That will increase the revenue base.
anon city employee

Florissant, MO

#18 Oct 6, 2012
Mark B wrote:
I cannot deny or confirm city employees salary comparisons. I have experience with dozens of city employees. Most (not all) do a fine job on behalf of the city. Unfortunately employee morale and loyalty are at an all time low. Many employees do stay with the city for a long time but if you observe very closely you will realize many are jumping ship. Recently in my public record of making difficult decisions stands for itself, related to layoffs. I fully agree, the work force has a long line just waiting.
Mark
Mark B, I challenge you to back up your statement that "many (employees) are jumping ship". That is FALSE. Who is feeding you this stuff? I doubt if 4-5 full time employees have left in the past several years. Maybe a couple retired, but not leaving due to salary, benefits or working conditions. We have it much too good. With a staff as big as ours, you are bound to have a couple of people who can find better jobs and good for them. Before you start making statements, be prepared to back them up. Name some of these many people who have jumped ship!
Mark B

Florissant, MO

#19 Oct 6, 2012
Anon city employee; I sense that I hit a nerve with you and that was not my intent. I fully support city employees and frequently have the opportunity to speak with many of them. I also like and appreciate the long hours and efforts our nine legislators put in although sometimes disagree with the final decisions. All of them who I have the opportunity to speak with “face to face” are fully aware of my honest thoughts and motives as to why I think differently. I am in no way “speaking ill” about our city as a whole. Although it has always been my contention that paid administration needs improvement. I did state one “needs to be closely observant”. I never said salaries or benefits had any factor. I also said “that I have no comparison data as to salaries” which is true, although I have been privy to conversations with those who have. So I am not looking to spread hearsay or destroy any confidence level I have established. I do know (many) employees are frustrated with administrative decisions to the point of expressing their displeasure. Possibly I may have been premature with my statement and only time will tell.
You have been very polite and for this I am appreciative. But I am sure you can understand that at this time I cannot address your question. Sometime in the future I will.
This same thing has taken place in our school district. Many good people leave us for factual reasons undisclosed. Some I hear from after the fact, as if I have the powers to correct, but I don’t. It is disturbing to say the least. I have always provided a sense of confidentiality and loyalty to those who speak with me pertaining to concerns and that their opinions. I’ve always tried to uphold respect and make positive changes once inform. A good leader always listens and engages, keeping an open mind towards making things better.
Ha Ha

United States

#20 Oct 6, 2012
anon city employee wrote:
<quoted text>Mark B, I challenge you to back up your statement that "many (employees) are jumping ship". That is FALSE. Who is feeding you this stuff? I doubt if 4-5 full time employees have left in the past several years. Maybe a couple retired, but not leaving due to salary, benefits or working conditions. We have it much too good. With a staff as big as ours, you are bound to have a couple of people who can find better jobs and good for them. Before you start making statements, be prepared to back them up. Name some of these many people who have jumped ship!

I would say to just look at the police department.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Florissant Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Florissant or O'Fallon? 1 hr Thats BS 19
Tall Grass in Florissant 8 hr Joe 14
special delivery 20 hr CSM1 5
the secret shadow government Sun CSM1 22
curbs falling apart Sat White Chick 5
Disgusting POTUS. (Dec '15) Apr 22 CSM1 186
Poll Do You Trust the Media ? (Apr '16) Apr 22 Marcus Welby 53

Florissant Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance