Vienna, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2012

HSD parent wrote:
I wondered what prompted this thread to suddely revive after so long. We are raising 4 childern, all attending Hazelwood Schools. I do not believe a kindergarden teacher told you your child was dumb or stupid. And I wonder if you are embelishing other parts of your story. We have had problems in the past, as have friends. But the district and staff have ALWAYS been quick to act and very supportive.
I agree, if you want to send your child to private school or another school district, either pay for it, or move to another district. I assure you that other districts have issues as well, so you ran run but can not hide.
Good answer.

Primary responsibility starts with the parents.
Teachers need to be accountable.

But parents responsible.
TTU

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2012

primary responsibility wrote:
<quoted text>
Good answer.
Primary responsibility starts with the parents.
Teachers need to be accountable.
But parents responsible.
Agreed. But someone (society generally) needs to hold the parents accountable too. Too many folks are getting a free pass in this regard.
TTU

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2012

So Sad wrote:
<quoted text>
What analysis led you to post your statements?
Hey So Sad, looked a little closer at the #s. Turns out the Special School District runs the Juvenile Detention unit.

Guess who had higher MAP scores?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!! Oh man, had a good laugh on that one. This is a sick situation dude!!!
So Sad

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2012

TTU wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey So Sad, looked a little closer at the #s. Turns out the Special School District runs the Juvenile Detention unit.
Guess who had higher MAP scores?
Ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!! Oh man, had a good laugh on that one. This is a sick situation dude!!!
I have been busy as of late. I still plan on looking over the stats. If that is true, I wonder if the Juvenile Detention unit adopted East St. Louis school district testing methods.
So Sad

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2012

ILUVFLO

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

TTU I love how you think you know the goals of ALL of the students who attend HSD and that you think that bad behavior or bullying is only limited to North County! Both are in all schools and in all districts!
TTU

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Judged:

So now Dr. Tobias is the permanent superintendent.

Could they find no one with some experience running a successful district? Lindbergh?? Parkway??? Rockwood??? Nobody???

Dr. Tobias seems like an earnest, nice guy. He and the new assistant super meet requirement 1. But neither have any experience running or working in a successful school district. None. Zip. Zero.

My prediction: loss of accreditation followed by state takeover within 4 years.

Sad.
need accountable board

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/education/...

How about giving back tax payer money? Time for some new board members.
black woman

Saint Peters, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

hardhead wrote:
how about ridding our schools of these useless stupid blacks that will never amount to anything
racist white trash.
Older wiser

Hazelwood, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

There is never enough money for any school district. They beg the taxpayers to cough up more and more every couple years and the sheeple vote themselves another tax hike. It's always for the children they say but really most of the money goes to employee pay,pensions and health care. Enrollment is way lower now than decades ago but still there is never enough money. People vote for these increases in the belief that if they don't their property values will fall.
Now they are giving $400,000 to get the supt. to leave . He had been early terminated at his last job. Why was he hired?
Mark B

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Older wiser; in May 2009 it was announced that Dr. Chris Nicastro would be leaving Hazelwood to take the position of Commissioner of the Department of Education for the State of Missouri. As president of the Board of Education we immediately released a RFP to interview and select a search firm. This nationally known search firm performed a nationwide search for candidates. 40 some candidates presented applications. From those applications the board interview eight candidates. The Board perform multiple interviews with the candidates and reduced it to two. Teacher committee, parent committees, key communicators committees, and administration committee, also met and interviewed both candidates. Based on dozens of comments including patrons of the district, the board made its selection from recommendations from all. The selection process was transparent and involved many people over the course of several months. At that time it was the best decision. Unfortunately over a course of two years people and times change. So the board in September 2012 had to make a difficult decision, a decision that we fully new, was not going to be a popular one with a few people. I invite you to attend any and all board meetings to see and witness for yourself the many new changes and written plans that have taken place the last 60 days. Our focus, our expectations are to improve student achievement THIS school year. I do not expect you or any of the hand full of naysayers to take my word for it here on a blog. So if you truly care simply attend the next few board meetings and witness, for yourself what is going on. I can assure you that you will hear and learn more about our school district now than you ever have previously experienced in the past two years.
TTU

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

Mark B wrote:
Older wiser; in May 2009 it was announced that Dr. Chris Nicastro would be leaving Hazelwood to take the position of Commissioner of the Department of Education for the State of Missouri. As president of the Board of Education we immediately released a RFP to interview and select a search firm. This nationally known search firm performed a nationwide search for candidates. 40 some candidates presented applications. From those applications the board interview eight candidates. The Board perform multiple interviews with the candidates and reduced it to two. Teacher committee, parent committees, key communicators committees, and administration committee, also met and interviewed both candidates. Based on dozens of comments including patrons of the district, the board made its selection from recommendations from all. The selection process was transparent and involved many people over the course of several months. At that time it was the best decision. Unfortunately over a course of two years people and times change. So the board in September 2012 had to make a difficult decision, a decision that we fully new, was not going to be a popular one with a few people. I invite you to attend any and all board meetings to see and witness for yourself the many new changes and written plans that have taken place the last 60 days. Our focus, our expectations are to improve student achievement THIS school year. I do not expect you or any of the hand full of naysayers to take my word for it here on a blog. So if you truly care simply attend the next few board meetings and witness, for yourself what is going on. I can assure you that you will hear and learn more about our school district now than you ever have previously experienced in the past two years.
Appreciated Mark. But keep in mind that many folks went to the Hazelwood 1st meetings, canvassed neighborhoods, put out yard signs, voted for H1, sent their kids to the district schools with high hopes, and volunteered almost daily in the schools, only to have those hopes dashed by thugs, dumbing down of the curriculum via the famous "Equity" programs, shootings, and on and on, with an incredibly inept response by HSD.

No matter what goes on during the carefully orchestrated board meetings--during the school days teachers and students will still be afraid to enter the halls of Central, thugs will still be smoking their dope in those halls practically under the noses of the resource officers and life will go on as usual. You should put on a maintenance man uniform and walk those halls incognito some day just for your own amusement.

Until I hear from actual students and teachers that the buildings are under control, and they feel safe, all of the bluster about closing the achievement gap, increasing student achievement, etc., will be meaningless.

Show me the money!
Mom and Teacher

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Great idea for Mark to walk the halls incognito. Try East High... the kids are off the chain.
Mark B

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

I appreciate the idea of visiting the school buildings incognito. But if the true belief is that our board meetings are systematically orchestrated how would anyone believe myself or any board member could wander the halls un noticed? Not, that I am not willing to try mind you, but that tactic would definitely leave a bad example with the majority of the staff. There are procedures currently in place for staff members to follow if they have concerns. As an example; teachers in every building have a teacher Rep or the teacher can go directly to their union head representative Dianne. Dianne has my direct phone number and e-mail address and she frequently talks directly to me. Teachers and staff members frequently talk to each of us board members on confidential and sensitive issues. Us board members are easily obtainable and value in the strict confidence our discussions with whomever wishes to talk to us. That is our job. It is not only the patrons of the district who talk to us but also any staff member who wishes. Our board meetings in the last 60 days have been filled with teachers. AT Every meeting I specifically have voiced my appreciation to the teachers and staff that we have in the Hazelwood family. It is my job to listen to them and I have always invited them (staff) to contact me directly. Many teachers and staff over the years have contacted me pertaining to their specific issue. Many of those issues un related to this specific topic have been discussed confidentially. I have worked very hard as well as other board members to discreetly bring obtained concerns to the board table for discussion with resolution. Again these are only my words. If someone is concerned about relinquishing their identity than they need to discuss it with their union head. I fully understand there are some staff members who have issues that are concerned with initiating a conversation that offers their feelings. But how can I help someone if it is kept a secret from me? There has always been, and there always will be a stigma with in staff, that if they speak, they risk their job. In the previous two years that may have been so. But that stigma does not hold true for those over the years that have communicated with me. At this point I am not sure, sneaking around, is the best tactic. But I have been proven wrong before. I am open to suggestions, thank you Mark
Dantre

High Ridge, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

Judged:

Hazelwuds Schulls is da bess dare iz, i use to go 2 East it wuz da very bes schull anz my teachur tel us all da times how lucky we wuz 2 bee gettin such a gud edumucaqtion. All you razist white devils kneez 2 quit runnin off at da mouth. Peace out!
Dantres cusin

Irving, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

black woman wrote:
<quoted text>racist white trash.
yall wht pepple nedz 2 quit actin a fool anz quit bein all razist an stuff. me anz dantre wees went 2 da finest skools anz gosta bess edmucation muny ken buy. Obama iz gonna mak things right anz we iz gunna show yall.
Akim

Irving, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

you wht devil we iz smarter than you thnk we iz anz dats why we iz President OBAMA BTCH!
BullyParents_Bul lyKids

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

toughen up wrote:
<quoted text>
Either toughen up or home school.
For you to say "toughen up" maybe you have never been bullied. Or maybe you were the bully in my day. My child can "toughen up" but this may mean going against his character, becoming more aggressive, which is not the answer. My son did toughened up, and ended up fighting almost every boy in his class. He got tired of them bullying him, yes he's different - he's a straight A student, but lacks social skills. Thats not his fault, he was born that way. Parents need to teach their children to not pick on other kids, and from the way it sounds, you may be a parent that condones this foolishness. The morals and values trickle from the parent to a child. I say to you - grow up, and raise your kids to respect others.
I agree

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

BullyParents_BullyKids wrote:
<quoted text>
For you to say "toughen up" maybe you have never been bullied. Or maybe you were the bully in my day. My child can "toughen up" but this may mean going against his character, becoming more aggressive, which is not the answer. My son did toughened up, and ended up fighting almost every boy in his class. He got tired of them bullying him, yes he's different - he's a straight A student, but lacks social skills. Thats not his fault, he was born that way. Parents need to teach their children to not pick on other kids, and from the way it sounds, you may be a parent that condones this foolishness. The morals and values trickle from the parent to a child. I say to you - grow up, and raise your kids to respect others.
Sure kids need to learn to stand up for themselves just as we all should. It's been my experience that what happens in such situations is that the kid who decides to stop getting pushed around is the one who gets disciplined. Sometimes all the parties involved are penalized but often it is the kids who do stand up to the bully (bullies) who get punished. Why? Because the school district where my kids attended decided anyone involved in an altercation no matter what the circumstances would be punished.

If a kid who isn't a bully gets treated like he or she is the troublemaker what is that going to accomplish? Bullies are cowards and behave that way because their parents have allowed them to be what they are. Show my a bully and I'll show you a parent(s) who take no responsibility for their actions and have taught their kids to do the same.
HSD Investigation

Vienna, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

This morning on channel 2 morning news, there was a short story about an ivestigation going on at the Hazelwood High school prom, and some parents and teachers serving alchohol. anyone know anything about it?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Florissant Forum right now

Search the Florissant Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Jamestown "Mall" (Jul '08) 2 min flodaddy 138
Pitbulls 1 hr snoop doggies 6
Message to the Mayor and the Council (Jul '11) 5 hr Cobra 153
Trotterway 12 hr Shondra J 21
Bad drivers 14 hr hardhead 29
Real Estate Agents/Agencies Tue Shannon Howard 22
Delmar Gardens North (Jan '10) Jul 21 Great care 30
•••
•••