SMN48

Saint Louis, MO

#1 Feb 10, 2008
Five area value city stores are closing. The Florissant store will continue to remain open, but the location closing that bothers me is the store on the Rock Road. Its more of a historical location going back to the days of "Grandpa Pigeons". I wonder why Value City even decided to buy out GP from Tom Holley eight years back. Now the branch has to close half its area stores from the STL region.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/business/sto...
orion

AOL

#2 Feb 10, 2008
Who knows-lets be happy they are keeping the flomo location open!!
SMN48

Saint Louis, MO

#3 Feb 10, 2008
what really saved the Florissant location is that it is still a new building.
ratwinger

Saint Louis, MO

#4 Feb 11, 2008
Tom Holly owned 1/3 of the grandpas stores his brother and sister sold the company and let him know,that is the story I got from a long time Grandpas employee.
the Value CIty stores have been sold by Shonac/DSW to Burlington coat factory,they will be keeping the top 5% of the stores and the rest will be offered to a third party.The third party will decide what to do with the remaining stores
SMN48

Saint Louis, MO

#5 Feb 11, 2008
ahhh ok. thanks for letting me know.
Missing Grampa

Saint Louis, MO

#6 Feb 11, 2008
I still miss Grampa's it was a good place to pick up a lot stuff that now takes trips to several stores to acquire. Went there a lot before family outings to pick up outdoor goods and other needed iyems.
It struck me as the typical corporate merger mania. Somebody has enough extra money to buy up smaller companies and make somebody like Tom Holly's siblings think, "Heck, let's cash out Dad's business, take the money and run!"

Since: May 07

Florissant MO

#7 Feb 11, 2008
I remember going there with my dad to the one on 367 to get fishing supplies. I always looked forward to those trips because sometimes he would take me down to the city and show me "the old neighborhood" where he grew up or we would go the other direction and go by the river in alton and just drive around. Good times, cant beat em.
Pethead

Saint Louis, MO

#8 Feb 11, 2008
I thought I read a story on the sale of Grandpa's that said Tom Holley actually sold out the local chain. He then took his profits and opened smaller dollar discount type of stores called Deals. Then a few years later he sold Deals to Supervalu of Eden Prairie, MN who own Shop n' Save and Save-A-Lot stores. I read that Supervalu was planning on opening super centers with Deals in them like a Wal-Mart super center.
GAD

United States

#10 Feb 11, 2008
Maybe Tom can buy back the remaining stores and reopen them with a rather unique name,like maybe "GRANPAS". They were quite the store,I hate to shop,but gave in when I used to go to the old store on the Rock Road,it was fun to spend much too much time in the place.Catcha round.
ratwinger wrote:
Tom Holly owned 1/3 of the grandpas stores his brother and sister sold the company and let him know,that is the story I got from a long time Grandpas employee.
the Value CIty stores have been sold by Shonac/DSW to Burlington coat factory,they will be keeping the top 5% of the stores and the rest will be offered to a third party.The third party will decide what to do with the remaining stores
SMN48

Saint Louis, MO

#11 Feb 11, 2008
crab wrote:
I remember going there with my dad to the one on 367 to get fishing supplies. I always looked forward to those trips because sometimes he would take me down to the city and show me "the old neighborhood" where he grew up or we would go the other direction and go by the river in alton and just drive around. Good times, cant beat em.
Oh i remember the old 367 store. That one closed when the buy out occurred. They used to have a McDonalds next to it in the shopping center. A couple of years ago at my old job, I was doing a delivery out in Jennings, and drove past that old shopping center. That was my first time in 4 or 5 years going by there. Man was that shopping center trashed! I saw the McDonalds. Of course that was closed, but it looked like someone tried to start a church out of it, and that closed as well. It was quite an upsetting site for the eyes.
SMN48

Saint Louis, MO

#12 Feb 11, 2008
Whoops! sorry for the double post. As for deals, i heard dollar general bought them from supervalue a few years ago.
Grandson

Saint Louis, MO

#13 Jan 31, 2013
I just stumbled on this today. I am related to Tom Holley. We made a collective decision to sell Grandpa's to Value City because we couldn't effectively compete with WalMart and Value City really paid for the real estate and nothing more.
Tom was not pressured into anything; in fact he led the move to find a buyer. It is true that he was the founder of Deals and did sell that three years later to SuperValue.
hardhead

United States

#14 Jan 31, 2013
when the blacks moved in shop lifting became so bad they had no profits.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Florissant Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drive by tonight 4 hr Annoyed 1
Quote Of The Week (Mar '15) 8 hr exposing florissant 209
School Board 15 hr Boss Taco 38
Are you sick of the racist posts? 16 hr hardhead 3
News Vote dilution was used to keep blacks off of Fe... Fri go f youself 13
Poll Do You Feel Safer Than You Did 7 Years Ago ? (Dec '15) Thu exposing florissant 195
Hillbilly Hilly for Prez? Nope. (Jan '16) Aug 25 Marcus Welby 115

Florissant Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Florissant Mortgages