Old Timer

Columbia, MO

#126 Feb 7, 2012
Mary Davis - You actually live there now?? OMG! Do you have double bars on all your windows and wear a bullet-proof vest when you walk around the house? There's NOTHING coming back in Walnut Park because of one simple reason - there's NOTHING left! Vacant lot after vacant lot after vacant lot where houses have burned and a year later the city moves in and knocks down what was left of happiness for decades, destroyed by the crap that took over Walnut Park in the 1970's.
Speedo

Moberly, MO

#127 Feb 13, 2012
Does anyone remember the Emerson Bakery on Beacon.? How about Harry's or Mickey's tavern on Lilian?
Agnes At Duncan's candy shop?
Memory Lane

Saint Louis, MO

#128 Feb 14, 2012
Speedo wrote:
Does anyone remember the Emerson Bakery on Beacon.? How about Harry's or Mickey's tavern on Lilian?
Agnes At Duncan's candy shop?
I remember Bommarito's Bakery on Prange across the street from Pearl's Tavern (Charlie and Pearl Meyer). Also Agnes confectionary on Prange as well (she was in a wheelchair). I walked that route from St. Adalberts every day. Bommaritos used to roll out racks of day old donuts on the sidewalk when the kids were coming home.
Speedo

Moberly, MO

#129 Feb 14, 2012
Memory Lane wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember Bommarito's Bakery on Prange across the street from Pearl's Tavern (Charlie and Pearl Meyer). Also Agnes confectionary on Prange as well (she was in a wheelchair). I walked that route from St. Adalberts every day. Bommaritos used to roll out racks of day old donuts on the sidewalk when the kids were coming home.
You are correct. It was Prange not Lillian. If you were little Agnes would tell you how many pennies you had left to spend after each piece of candy you picked. I don't remember the bakery being called Bommarito's. Maybe we have different timelines. We left in 1969.

I remember at night if you went to the side door And asked for free scraps the guys that were working would give you donuts.

I think Mickey's tavern was across Prange from Agnes but my memory might be playing tricks. I'll ask my brother if he remembers. They used to put out a coffin with a dummy dressed in green around St. Pats day out in front of the tavern. If a kid walked up to the coffin someone inside would grab a microphone and make the dead Irishman talk.
Historian

Belleville, IL

#130 May 30, 2012
The thug that shot the police officer lived in the 5200 block of Wren.I used to walk by there on my way to school.
Lynndie

Florissant, MO

#131 Jul 26, 2012
Bump!
I was looking through old photo albums and at the old house on Google Earth. I wondered if I might find some comments or photos of the old neighborhood out on the internet. I lived next door to Agnes's Confectionary on Genevieve. The house is still there though I see many empty lots. I remember playing on the floor of the tavern, Mickey's I think, getting penny candy from Agnes, walking to Walbridge. We left for Florissant around 69 or 70. Dad used to walk to work across the 70 bridge, at Moloney then later Central States. I remember having Mrs. French as a teacher, for K I think. In those days we used to stand outside another kids house and yell their name to get them to come out and play. My brother is 17 years older than me. I'll have to see if I can get him to visit this forum. He should have much clearer memories of the area. I believe he graduated from Beaumont in 64.
Old times

Moberly, MO

#132 Aug 7, 2012
Good memories. Unfortunately I went through WP a few months ago and there is nothing left of the old place. Some of the houses remain, but many are gone. It seems like all the stores, businesses, churches and professionals ( docs, lawyers) are long gone.

It is very depressing to see. There is nothing left to give anyone hope. Time for everyone to move on. What once existed can never return. It's gone forever.
Historian

Belleville, IL

#133 Aug 9, 2012
Please do not drive to Walnut Park to look around.It is a DANGEROUS place to be.
Old times

Moberly, MO

#134 Aug 20, 2012
Historian wrote:
Please do not drive to Walnut Park to look around.It is a DANGEROUS place to be.
Historian is right. It is a dangerous place and I would recommend staying as far away from it as possible.

There is nothing there that is worth the risk to see. I won't return.
Johnhof

Saint Peters, MO

#135 Aug 21, 2012
Last year I drove around Walnut Park and took some photos. I talked to a resident about what has been tried and what they are still trying to bring the neighborhood back to a decent place. Right now they are fighting a losing battle. Low property values, vacancies and crime are such a hard combination to turn around.
been there

Saint Louis, MO

#136 Aug 21, 2012
Go to www.google.com and click on maps. Type in your old address and click on street view. You can take a virtual tour.
Old times

Moberly, MO

#137 Aug 21, 2012
been there wrote:
Go to www.google.com and click on maps. Type in your old address and click on street view. You can take a virtual tour.
I did that and it works very well. Has overhead and street view pictures. Also you can find real estate listings that show sq footage, year built etc.

I was surprised at how old and small the homes really are. Growing up there it didn't seem that way. Bottom line it was a great neighborhood but was always working class never affluent.

We loved it because it was our home, our neighborhood.
Historian

Belleville, IL

#138 Sep 9, 2012
been there wrote:
My old home is a vacant lot.What could happen to a nice brick home to warrant demolition?
been there

Bridgeton, MO

#139 Sep 16, 2012
Houses, good houses in Walnut sell between $2K and $10K. Occasionally you will see one for $20K or $30K but I am told those are usually forclosures. If your house had $15K from a fire, why fix it if you can't get that much for it. Your house is only worth what the neighborhood is worth. Sometimes weeks go by that there are no slaes in the 63120 zip code. It's so sad.
Tim McDonough

Taylor, MI

#140 Oct 29, 2012
Christy wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you remember John Deinowski?
Grew up with Dino in Walnut Park, still in touch with him.
Ron

United States

#141 Nov 12, 2012
Is this posting still up and running. I see most are from 2010.

I think I'm the old timer from Walnut Park . I was born on Saloma in 1941, and lived at 4 addresses until 1965..if this site is still active, I would like my input regarding my love for "my" old
neighborhood
Pale Dago

O Fallon, MO

#142 Nov 13, 2012
All you need to do is start posting,there are many of us from the north city area who would be interested in what you have to say. Have a great day.
Ron wrote:
Is this posting still up and running. I see most are from 2010.
I think I'm the old timer from Walnut Park . I was born on Saloma in 1941, and lived at 4 addresses until 1965..if this site is still active, I would like my input regarding my love for "my" old
neighborhood
Walnut Park Girl

Richardson, TX

#144 Nov 13, 2012
Go to Facebook and search Walnut Park. Very active site, a lot of memories.
black woman

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#145 Nov 13, 2012
hardhead wrote:
<quoted text>the blacks moved in destroyed every thing just as they are doing everywhere.this is what the whole united states will look like after their done.
racist white trash.
Responder

Asheville, NC

#147 Nov 13, 2012
still in stlouis wrote:
Guy in Texas. This is really freaky!!! I grew up on Davison and remember all those things you mentioned vividly. Contact me with your email because I would love to found out who you are. I went to all those places. I lived next to Jerry's, went to Dr. Knapp and your description was dead on.
I know a 92 year old who grew up on Davison in the 1920s and 30s. We talk about the neighborhood all the time!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Florissant Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jay Walking 11 min hardhead 5
Carjacking at QT 19 min hardhead 34
Local restaurants for a quick bite 1 hr Boss Taco 61
Jerome ' Jerry ' Burke is running for what ? 5 hr exposing florissant 5
Keith English 6 hr Inquiring Minds 3
so-cial-ism 19 hr fEEl tHe BeRn 46
Quote Of The Week (Mar '15) 21 hr exposing florissant 187
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Florissant Mortgages