Christy

Saint Charles, MO

#22 May 4, 2010
Does anyone remember John Deinowski? I have heard so many wonderful stories about Walnut Park from him. I wish I could have grown up in that environment.
tired

United States

#23 May 4, 2010
That one guy wrote:
Dr. Gerald Knapp was the father of Dr. Stephen Knapp on Charbonier. Dr. Knapp did move his practice from Walnut Park to Dellwood. Also Shady Grove was a one of a kind place. We would go there after my Khoury league games, playing for the Walnut Park Raiders.
Lord, I loved Shady Grove on Lillian. That was the place to go! I remember so many good times there.
tired

United States

#24 May 4, 2010
QUESTION wrote:
what happen to midget, at the Rio show.
Loved the Rio Show. Was there every Friday nite.
tired

United States

#25 May 4, 2010
jhcakes wrote:
I remember Papa Tucci very well, I was quite young but my best friend lived over the store. There were two apartments in back and Mr. Tucci lived in the basement. The basement was a full apartment. More like a lower loft, everything was in two or three rooms, Mr. Tucci used to sit on the front steps and talk to the neighborhood kids. I was only about 8 houses down on Genevieve. I went to Walbridge for kindergarten and Navitiy of Our Lord to attend grade school. Paul Pagano drove a produce truck and gave us free ice cube chocolates. The Mr. Softee ice cream truck and the Tamale Man came down the street regularly. We went to Dwight Davis park to play at the playground and for softball games. We went to Laboure High School to practice volleyball and Navitiy had their "Hole in One" tournaments there. We use to roll down the "Big Hill". I remember Pele coming for a soccer exhibition. I remember Lombardo's pizza and having our banquets in the basement. We loved the Dairy Queen on Riverview.(Was it a Dairy Queen or did it have another name?, I don't remember for sure). The mean girls at Walnut Park grade school, the Fire House, the riot at Northwest High School are all still vivid in my mind. We used to walk to the bus stop on West Florissant to go to the Cardinals games. Fish Frys at San Salvador on Plover, Plover Market, the confectionary on Gilmore and Thekla, I thing that is where it was. The Bi-Rite (grocery store) on West Florissant. Oh my I could go on and on. Too many memories to talk about. The sad thing is that the neighborhood turned violent over-night, I was a child so I'm not sure why, but it was after walking home from school and seeing/hearing gunshots so I hid my younger sisters and myself in a store hallway and then within a week my father bought a house in Florissant. We were not told until the day we moved. Of course there was also a homicide 4 houses down about a month earlier, I remember asking my Mom what that was and she told me a murder. Anyway there is so much more, hey remember playing in the alleys? I will stop now but I loved growing up there.
The tamale man! What a great memory that was. A hot evening in the summer! We could here the tamale man coming with his little white cart. Me da, would send me up to the corner and get a bucket of beer! I was little and, I would have all the foam sucked off the beer by the time I got back. What great memories!
Christy

Saint Charles, MO

#26 May 4, 2010
tired wrote:
<quoted text>
Lord, I loved Shady Grove on Lillian. That was the place to go! I remember so many good times there.
Do you remember John Deinowski?
GAD

United States

#27 May 4, 2010
Walnut Park had all the good looking girls too. I remember Mary Ellen K, Doris A, Carol P, Dian C, all lookers,in today's vernacular they would be called HOT. Was a fun area to grow in back in the fifties. The donut shop on Union,a block or so north of Bircher,the best. Keep the good thoughts coming.
Historian

Saint Peters, MO

#28 May 4, 2010
Christy wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you remember John Deinowski?
DINO,class of 68 Northwest High School
Christy

Saint Charles, MO

#29 May 5, 2010
Historian wrote:
<quoted text>
DINO,class of 68 Northwest High School
YES!!!! I am so glad I found someone that remembers him. I'd love to give him your name and perhaps you two can share stories. Do you mind me asking your name? If you do not feel comfortable putting your name on this blog, you can email me at [email protected] I have so many wonderful stories of growing up in Walnut Park. Thank you so much :)
Vitali

Asheville, NC

#30 May 5, 2010
Approximately when did the violence and demographic shifts begin in Walnut Park? It must be so heartbreaking to drive through this area today.
dino

Saint Louis, MO

#31 May 5, 2010
jimmy was also the doorman at john Stygars funeral home on Riverview & Harney, very close to the rio show. I lived right across the street from Shady Grove , went to St. Adalbert, & played soccer for St. Phillip Neri which to us was considered Walnut Park.
dino john Deinowski

Saint Louis, MO

#32 May 5, 2010
jhcakes wrote:
I remember Papa Tucci very well, I was quite young but my best friend lived over the store. There were two apartments in back and Mr. Tucci lived in the basement. The basement was a full apartment. More like a lower loft, everything was in two or three rooms, Mr. Tucci used to sit on the front steps and talk to the neighborhood kids. I was only about 8 houses down on Genevieve. I went to Walbridge for kindergarten and Navitiy of Our Lord to attend grade school. Paul Pagano drove a produce truck and gave us free ice cube chocolates. The Mr. Softee ice cream truck and the Tamale Man came down the street regularly. We went to Dwight Davis park to play at the playground and for softball games. We went to Laboure High School to practice volleyball and Navitiy had their "Hole in One" tournaments there. We use to roll down the "Big Hill". I remember Pele coming for a soccer exhibition. I remember Lombardo's pizza and having our banquets in the basement. We loved the Dairy Queen on Riverview.(Was it a Dairy Queen or did it have another name?, I don't remember for sure). The mean girls at Walnut Park grade school, the Fire House, the riot at Northwest High School are all still vivid in my mind. We used to walk to the bus stop on West Florissant to go to the Cardinals games. Fish Frys at San Salvador on Plover, Plover Market, the confectionary on Gilmore and Thekla, I thing that is where it was. The Bi-Rite (grocery store) on West Florissant. Oh my I could go on and on. Too many memories to talk about. The sad thing is that the neighborhood turned violent over-night, I was a child so I'm not sure why, but it was after walking home from school and seeing/hearing gunshots so I hid my younger sisters and myself in a store hallway and then within a week my father bought a house in Florissant. We were not told until the day we moved. Of course there was also a homicide 4 houses down about a month earlier, I remember asking my Mom what that was and she told me a murder. Anyway there is so much more, hey remember playing in the alleys? I will stop now but I loved growing up there.
response: I lived right across the street from Shady Grove. I was the kid that raked the trash out of the gravel . I went to St Adalbert, & played soccer for St. Phillip Neri, which we considered a Part of Walnut Park. Ralph's confectionary ,right across the street from St Adalbert. THe perpetual soccer matches that were played in Front of walnut Park School, Mark Twain Schoolyard, & St Phillip Neri's School yard. It was a great place to grow up. Why are there no allys in the suburbs?// I also had many friends tha attended Nativity school. THe school lot were we played at St. ADalbert's is now filled with new homes. I drove through there one snowy , cold day. I could not remember those allys being so narrow. THat is all for now.
dino john Deinowski

Saint Louis, MO

#33 May 5, 2010
QUESTION wrote:
what happen to midget, at the Rio show.
jimmy also was the doorman at john Stygars funeral home on riverview & Harney ,right up the block from the Rio show.
dino

Saint Louis, MO

#34 May 5, 2010
tired wrote:
<quoted text>
Ilived right across the street from Shady Grove. I was the kid that raked the trash out of the gravel in the grove. more later.
dino

Saint Louis, MO

#35 May 5, 2010
jhcakes wrote:
I took a drive through Walnut Park around 2004. I could not believe how narrow those ally's were. I went when it was a snowy & very bitterly cold day. Also went down & revisited Fairgrounds Park.
gino

Saint Louis, MO

#36 May 11, 2010
Historian wrote:
Does anyone have anty stories from Walnut Park?
Yes, I lived at 5934 Lillian, right across the street from Shady Grove. It is always god to hear from people from Walnut Park.
gino

Saint Louis, MO

#37 May 11, 2010
I lived in Walnut Park from 1956 till 1974. What a great place to grow up. what a great place to play soccer. what a great place to hang around. It was great knowing almost everyone in a neighborhood. Rio show : 15 cents for a child. 35 cents for an adult & we still had to sneak in.
gino

Saint Louis, MO

#38 May 11, 2010
Poo Taco wrote:
Where are my people!!!!!
WE are all spread out. There will never be a place like Walnut Park. I lived right across the street from Shady Grove.
gino

Saint Louis, MO

#39 May 11, 2010
Historian wrote:
How about Shady Grove,north of Riverview Blvd.
I lived right across the street from shady Grove. I was the kid that raked the trash out of the gravel, so the next night's crowd could throw their cigarettes butts on clean gravel. i loved when they left their cigarettes & lighters there. most men used matches , but i discovered many a zippo lighter there.
gino

Saint Louis, MO

#40 May 11, 2010
THe suburbs suck.
gino

Saint Louis, MO

#41 May 11, 2010
Walnut Park girl wrote:
Jimmy was the usher at the Rio Show. After it closed he went to the Towers. After that closed, I have not seen him.
I went to Walbridge School and Northwest High School. Remember Papa Tucci's store on Genevieve? Remember the school parade and picnics?
I remember the shoe store, but I thought it was Connie's shoe store. Then there was the Blue Bell Market. Still got the dishes that were given away with every purchase.
Dr. Knapp next to the Blue Bell died some years ago. I still see some of the people from there I grew up with.
jimmy was also the door man at Stygars funeral home on riverview & Harney.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Florissant Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Loud boom. 1 hr Real Sistas Preachin 15
Quote Of The Week (Mar '15) 1 hr Keepin It Real Sista 275
News Florissant to Weigh Repeal of Pit Bull Ban 6 hr Phil 2
Pit bulls 8 hr hardhead 62
More rentals coming to Florissant 10 hr Taco of Totality 26
negro watching (Feb '16) 19 hr James Earl Ray 566
An old friend... 20 hr Old friend420 1

Florissant Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance