Historian

Saint Peters, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2010

Does anyone have anty stories from Walnut Park?
Poo Taco

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2010

Back when I was just a young boy, we would get together and do the hucklebuck in Walnut Park.
We would smoke funny cigarettes that the negro jazz musicians would give us and have a gay ole' time!
Back then, a nickle bag cost a nickle!

Since: Nov 08

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2010

I lived in Walnut Park from 1946 - 1956. Went to Walbridge. Lived on Emerson remember going to Joe's store on Davidson. Macnamar butcher shop on Arlington. Praylies candies on Alcott. The Pauline and Rio shows. I worked as a third generation at Moloney Electric. My grandfather was a concrete contractor and built most of the ash pits and side walks in Walnut Park. He also had a Pool Hall on Arlington. There was Behring Shoe Store, Anna Walsh Dry Good Store. Schalken and Shally Drug Store. I remember there was a tavern and a red call box on almost every corner. The milk was delivered to your door and the milk wagon was pulled by horse and we would steal ice.
We had the rag man, the junk man and the hot tamale cart would go down the street. That is about all I can think of for now. I am sure since the wheels are turning I can think of somemore. Please excuse the spelling, there is no spell check on here and to think I was a secretary at Moloney Electric.
QUESTION

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2010

what happen to midget, at the Rio show.
Walnut Park girl

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2010

Jimmy was the usher at the Rio Show. After it closed he went to the Towers. After that closed, I have not seen him.

I went to Walbridge School and Northwest High School. Remember Papa Tucci's store on Genevieve? Remember the school parade and picnics?

I remember the shoe store, but I thought it was Connie's shoe store. Then there was the Blue Bell Market. Still got the dishes that were given away with every purchase.

Dr. Knapp next to the Blue Bell died some years ago. I still see some of the people from there I grew up with.
Fact is

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2010

nascarbabe wrote:
I lived in Walnut Park from 1946 - 1956. Went to Walbridge. I worked as a third generation at Moloney Electric. Please excuse the spelling, there is no spell check on here and to think I was a secretary at Moloney Electric.
My Pop worked at Moloney Electric 25 years until they moved to AR in 1965. His first name was Roy. He was an assembler and also worked as an expeditor. He worked with a guy named Mouse seemed like they all had nicknames. The company picnics at Chain of Rocks Parks were awesome! Mr Zorn giving out free ride tickets to all the kids we all got a strip of ten to begin and then he would randomly distribute the rest. Pop used to tell the story how they all decided to start a credit union and threw their money in a pot quaters and half cent pieces. My Dad opened an account at the Moloney CU the day after I was born Acct #1785 they started with Acct 500 have stayed a member now it's part of Vantage CU. My first loan was from them, a car. I was very nervous if I would get a loan for $2000 HUGE amount in 1972. Called MrZ and asked if my loan would be approved he said "of course" I asked was he sure said he knew I was good for the money as my Dad would kill me if I defaulted! Until I bought my home I never got a loan from anywhere else. Although Dad went to work for McDonnell after they left MO he missed Moloney but they tried to break the union to increase profits. When they couldn't they moved to a right to work state. He was offered a job to go but the wages/benefits were not enough to raise a family. The company is now an employee owned company after many transitions it's a shame this type of option was not available to them in the 60's from my memories everyone had a lot of pride in what they did and I am sure they would have taken such a move if it had been available < http://www.centralmoloneyinc.com/transformers... ;
He did receive a pension from them of $25 +/- per month until he died at 79. He used to joke about his huge pension check and how he received this money longer than he worked there.
That one guy

Englewood, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2010

I grew up in Walnut Park from 1961 until 1973. I went to St. Adalbert school & church. Fr. Schuler & Sr. Rosalie. Agnes Confectionaire, Bommaritos Bakery (put out day old donuts at the sidewalk door for the kids to have on the walk home). Pearls Tavern where we spent many a night with our family, the men and the cussing were up at the bar only and families at the tables. Charlie and Pearl made the place a real old town tavern. Summertime brought out the Tamale Man at night and the blind accordian player who walked the streets for tips. The Walbridge Drum and Bugle band parading through the streets (we lived across the street from the school). Also waking up Saturday to Orlandos produce truck coming down the street the driver yelling "Strawberries, Watermelon, etc" with the scale banging on the side of the truck.
That one guy

Englewood, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2010

Also, How could I forget Jerry's (Ruffino)Market and Flo's Beauty Shop. We also had Dr. Knapp as our family doctor as well. He would pop into the room like Groutcho Marx with a cigarette hanging from his lips.
Historian

Saint Peters, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2010

Keep the stories coming.I remember a confectionary on almost every corner.It sure was a nice neighborhood,I don't remember anyone not taking care of their yards.
jeanette

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2010

I love reading these... we didn't move to Ferguson (and then later Florissant) until 1959.
Where exactly was Walnut Park located? Was it a municipality, with its own police dept., etc.?
orion

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2010

Judged:

jeanette wrote:
I love reading these... we didn't move to Ferguson (and then later Florissant) until 1959.
Where exactly was Walnut Park located? Was it a municipality, with its own police dept., etc.?
Walnut park is a neighborhood in north city. It is not a seperate municipality.
Generally accepted boundaries ar the city of st louis/jennings border on the west, west florissant on the north, union on the east and hiway 70 on the south.
Since the racial composition changed from aryan to black in the 70s, the area has become a poster child for urban devastation caused by white flight.
Construction in the area started in the early 20th century and was pretty much complete by about 1920. Unlike many of the homes east of kingshiway, most of the construction was frame .
The area in jennings to the immediate west of the city/county boundary was originally platted as west walnut manor and construction is similar to the city portion.
Some of the areas in the city immediately east of goodfellow featured brick construction.

Walnut park was not a welathy or affluent area when our people lived there but was a solid and respectable working class area.
There were two RC parishes entirely in the city-St Adalberts and nativity. St Phillip Neri was partially walnut park and partly east of Union although the church was located east of Union.
St louis De marillac literally set astride the City/County line with its boundaries extending from jennings Rd to Riverview.

Many whites who were ethnically cleansed out of WP moved to BFN, Spanish lake, Florissant, Hazelwood, Ferguson et al with some going to jennings.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2010

Where are my people!!!!!
Historian

Saint Peters, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2010

I remember the Rio show on Riverview and Lombaros restaurant next door.There was a garage owned by a fellow named Joe Lieble on the corner of west Florissant and Plover.I ran into his nephew last year and he told me Joe is about 90 and still goes to his closed up garage daily.

“Common Sense Is -”

Since: Mar 10

Not So Common"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2010

jeanette wrote:
The first link should answer most of your questions.

http://stlouis.missouri.org/neighborhoods/his...

http://www.nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.c...

http://missouri.hometownlocator.com/mo/st.-lo...

http://www.panoramio.com/map/#lt=38.705339&am...
Huh

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2010

Judged:

orion wrote:
<quoted text>Walnut park is a neighborhood in north city. It is not a seperate municipality.

Since the racial composition changed from aryan to black in the 70s, the area has become a poster child for urban devastation caused by white flight.
Huh? What? Pardon me? Can you explain exactly how white flight caused urban devastation? Perhaps you meant the cause of the white flight caused the devastation.
Oriole Avenue

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2010

orion wrote:
<quoted text>
My grandparents lived in Walnut Park and they definitely were
not aryan.
Disgusted

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2010

Judged:

That one guy wrote:
Also, How could I forget Jerry's (Ruffino)Market and Flo's Beauty Shop. We also had Dr. Knapp as our family doctor as well. He would pop into the room like Groutcho Marx with a cigarette hanging from his lips.
Is he related to the Dr. Knapp that has a practice on Charbonier (between Deaver's and Shop 'n Save)?
Historian

Saint Peters, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2010

How about Shady Grove,north of Riverview Blvd.
Pale Dago

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2010

If memory serves, the Dr Knapp you refer to would have been the father of the Knapp on Charbonier. I think the senior Knapp moved from Walnut Park to Dellwood many years ago. The old man has passed on I believe,not sure.
Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
Is he related to the Dr. Knapp that has a practice on Charbonier (between Deaver's and Shop 'n Save)?
That one guy

Englewood, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2010

Dr. Gerald Knapp was the father of Dr. Stephen Knapp on Charbonier. Dr. Knapp did move his practice from Walnut Park to Dellwood. Also Shady Grove was a one of a kind place. We would go there after my Khoury league games, playing for the Walnut Park Raiders.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of169
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Florissant Forum right now

Search the Florissant Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
City Council Meeting tonight 2 hr Marcus Welby 31
Bottoms up bar (Jul '13) 4 hr fight 48
Who do you support in Ward Council Races Apr 16 Go vote 143
What grade would you give mayor tom's performan... (Oct '12) Apr 16 Had Enough 61
Message to the Mayor and the Council (Jul '11) Apr 16 organizational chart 78
Who would be best for St. Louis County Executive Apr 15 vienna mo bloz 13
Best Mayor for Future of Florissant Apr 15 Grandma of 4 227
•••
•••
•••
•••

Florissant Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Florissant People Search