Blocking a Peronsal Driveway, instant...

Blocking a Peronsal Driveway, instant tow or ticket?

Posted in the Florissant Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Oct 08

Chesterfield, MO

#1 Dec 21, 2008
Well me and my room mate were having this discussion after he accidently parked alittle close to the neighbors driveway last night and they left him a note on his window (he did not block the drive just alittle close and made it harder for them to get in/out).

He waited till noon to move his car. I joking yelled "hey Man there towing your car!" and he came running, then argued with me that it has to be there for 48hours before they can tow it even if its blocking a driveway. I thought if you blocked someones driveway they could call and have it towed regardless how long it sat there. I tried to google it but found not concrete answers to my question, anyone on here chime in? hopefully with a link to the actually law for missouri/Florissant.

Thanks.
Beetlejuice

Florissant, MO

#2 Dec 21, 2008
neighbors who do that should be
stabbed,
shot,
tarred,
feathered,
and then hung.
no excuses.
hmmm

United States

#3 Dec 21, 2008
I don't know if they can tow it....but if you are within 5 ft of a driveway you can get a ticket....so at very least they could have got a ticket. Why did they block the driveway?
Free

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#4 Dec 21, 2008
Beetlejuice wrote:
neighbors who do that should be
stabbed,
shot,
tarred,
feathered,
and then hung.
no excuses.
Which neighbor?
screwge

Florissant, MO

#5 Dec 21, 2008
i'd say a coupla long screws under the tires
Jeff Cook

Saint Louis, MO

#6 Dec 22, 2008
hmmm wrote:
I don't know if they can tow it....but if you are within 5 ft of a driveway you can get a ticket....so at very least they could have got a ticket. Why did they block the driveway?
Your not listening, get the car key out of your ear...(redneck 12 days of Christmas, had to do it...sorry) Anyway, he said he came close, he didnt actually block it. The best way to get an answer is to call the police department and just ask. I wouldnt trust any answers from this board if my life depended on it.
Also, for anything to actually happen, like a tow away or a ticket the police would have to actually se it. Or it would have to be called in to the police, and if your in Florissant people are too damn lazy to do that so nothing would have happened anyway. Insult me all you want.
fist note

United States

#7 Dec 22, 2008
block my driveway you may find a note on the end of my fist when i punch him in the throat what kind of asshole parks so close to someone elses driveway that it makes it difficult for someone to leave and then say that you accidently did it. what ever happened to common courtesy or respect for others i swear people now days have no respect for anyone else if he was close enough for them to actually leave a note then he must have been pretty close. what i guess if he didnt parkk there he would of had to walk his fat ass an extra couple of steps glad you dont live next to me very typical of the younger generation today though

Since: Oct 08

United States

#8 Dec 22, 2008
Bettlejuice thanks for not reading my entire post before posting your reply. I think you missed this line "he accidently parked alittle close to the neighbors driveway" and if you did read the entire post then I suggest you have someone with at least a 2nd grade education read it and explain to you what it said so you can use alittle education in your next reply.

hmmm- I think you missed the same line as bettlejuice so here it is for you again "he accidently parked alittle close to the neighbors driveway". I hate having to explain things twice. Its written in English, how hard could it be to understand?

Jeff- Thanks for your reply. I ran into a Florissant cop (dont remember name) last night at shell and asked him, He said if he got called to respond to this situation he would try to locate the owner of the truck (by knocking on the door of my house) and notify him of his mistake and have him move the truck. If he could not get ahold of the owner of the car or someone else with the ability to move it he would leave a ticket on it for the registured owner. And if requested by the resident of the house whos driveway was beeing blocked, he would have it inpounded and mail the ticket to the owner. He said each case is different but the law does allow him to order a tow for any cars blocking driveways, with or without a request from whoevers driveway is is being blocked (which he says he has had to do in the past, such as a car blocking in other at an apt complex, he said its illeagle and its a safety hazard).
He said most times the people just dont realize they blocked a drive and move there cars without any problems.
He also said a car cannot be towed for blocking a driveway without the police issuing the tow since its against the law to have any car towed if your not the owner.
POE

Saint Louis, MO

#9 Dec 22, 2008
Peace on Earth, Good Will towards Men...
or women, bi or gay individuals etc.

As human beings with all of our faults, we all tend to do things at times that somehow impact others.

Often people are afraid to say anything for fear of making a situation worse.

(i.e. Your neighbor partially blocks your drive or his dog keeps you awake all night and you feel that by discussing it with them it will only irritate them and make things worse.)

So often they let it build in their own mind until they begin to harbor ill feelings toward a neighbor who may likely just a bit preoccupied to realize they have created an "issue".

Or they decide to let the police resolve the "issue" which will surely embarrass and or alienate the neighbor.

We can insulate ourselves and let others solve issues for us or we can take a little extra time and solve it ourselves and often with better results.

The police officer will be polite and resolve the problem but the neighbor now has no way of knowing how you feel and will likely assume you are at odds with them.

Go out with a bottle of Windex and clean all the windows on the car.

Then go over to the neighbor and say:
"Hey, I am sorry but I cleaned all your windows on your car by mistake. I thought because it was partially blocking my drive that it belonged to my ________(son's girlfriend, wife's best friend...make up someone believable.) and I wanted to tease them a little about not being able to see out the windows well enough to see they were parking too close to my drive and making it difficult to get in or out. I am sorry, I did not realize until after I tried to surprise them that it wasn't their car but yours. Again, sorry about cleaning YOUR windows by mistake."

The neighbor gets clean windows and you get your point across in a non-confrontational and humorous way.

If you are the person causing the problem, try not to be so defensive when you make such a mistake and get approached by the other party. It takes a lot of nerve and respect to approach a neighbor for such issues.

Apologize for the issue and be friendly and understanding. Try to understand that you and your neighbors have a vested interest in living near each other and that a good relationship with neighbors is less stressful and can actually provide and extended support network for you.
If they like you, they will surely care enough to call the police when they see a guy suspicious guy walking around your home.

Since: Oct 08

United States

#10 Dec 22, 2008
Hey POE- I did talk to my neighbor and she was fine with the whole thing, she was just wanting to make sure he was more aware of where he parks his truck.

My main thing was proving that my roommate is wrong in thinking he can leagaly block driveways without the fear of his truck being towed.

And ill have to keep the cleaning the windows in mind incase my drive is ever blocked.

Thanks,
hmmmmm

Florissant, MO

#11 Dec 22, 2008
I guess I just don't "get" how someone "accidentally" almost blocks a neighbor's driveway. This leads me to a couple of follow up questions:

Is your roommate blind?
Is your roommate reatrded?
Was he driving intoxicated?
Is he just lazy?
Was there really nowhere else to park on the street?
Do you not have a big enough driveway for two cars? If not, there should be only once licensed driver in the home - THIS IS A HUGE PET PEEVE OF MINE!! If you have more cars/drivers than your driveway can hold, TIME TO EFFING MOVE or make additional parking on your own property.
Lastly, what is a grown man doing having a "roommate" anyway? Are you two "friends"?

Since: Oct 08

Chesterfield, MO

#12 Dec 22, 2008
hmmmmm wrote:
I guess I just don't "get" how someone "accidentally" almost blocks a neighbor's driveway. This leads me to a couple of follow up questions:
Is your roommate blind?
Is your roommate reatrded?
Was he driving intoxicated?
Is he just lazy?
Was there really nowhere else to park on the street?
Do you not have a big enough driveway for two cars? If not, there should be only once licensed driver in the home - THIS IS A HUGE PET PEEVE OF MINE!! If you have more cars/drivers than your driveway can hold, TIME TO EFFING MOVE or make additional parking on your own property.
Lastly, what is a grown man doing having a "roommate" anyway? Are you two "friends"?
You would hate me then. We have 7 cars here.. and 2 motorcycles. Driveway holds 3 and the other 4 go on street, bikes come inside during winter or chill in the back yard. And I have 2 more cars I store at my other job since I dont drive them and dont want cars up and down the street. Cops been here once a year ago for all the cars (neighbor called, go figure) but guess what... cant do anything about parking on the street since there all registered to me and my room mates.

And he accidentally parked to close to there driveway because he did not realize how close he was to there driveway.

Who said I was a grown man? You only gotta be 18 to own a house. FYI im 23 and have owned the house for 2 years, my BF is down on his luck with bills (child support etc...) and got laid off his job so he moved in with me over a year ago.. Not that its any of your business and its kinda childish you would make a remark as if im gay... like anyone on here could give a flying (explict word). And before you go ranting, everyone that live here is on my occupancy permit and your allowed 4 people in a house my size that are not related.
Beetlejuice

Florissant, MO

#13 Dec 22, 2008
Citizen of Flo,

I understand what accidently means but when someone decides after the note to leave it for 48 hours. That I consider to be arrogant and very un-neighborly. Therefore tar and feather are appropriate, in my opinion.
hmmmmm

Florissant, MO

#14 Dec 23, 2008
CitizenOfFlo wrote:
<quoted text>
You would hate me then. We have 7 cars here.. and 2 motorcycles. Driveway holds 3 and the other 4 go on street, bikes come inside during winter or chill in the back yard. And I have 2 more cars I store at my other job since I dont drive them and dont want cars up and down the street. Cops been here once a year ago for all the cars (neighbor called, go figure) but guess what... cant do anything about parking on the street since there all registered to me and my room mates.
And he accidentally parked to close to there driveway because he did not realize how close he was to there driveway.
Who said I was a grown man? You only gotta be 18 to own a house. FYI im 23 and have owned the house for 2 years, my BF is down on his luck with bills (child support etc...) and got laid off his job so he moved in with me over a year ago.. Not that its any of your business and its kinda childish you would make a remark as if im gay... like anyone on here could give a flying (explict word). And before you go ranting, everyone that live here is on my occupancy permit and your allowed 4 people in a house my size that are not related.
You're right. I would hate you. Its a good thing I live on the better side of town where people don't live like you do.
hosierbuddy

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#15 Dec 23, 2008
yep, typical of the area. what a shame.
hmmmmm

Florissant, MO

#16 Dec 23, 2008
hosierbuddy wrote:
yep, typical of the area. what a shame.
I'll never understand why someone would want to live in a 2 or even 3 bedroom house with more than two people, well three if a three bedroom, with one bathroom. Then of course have 8 cars (all junk) blocking the entire street. God forbid if any of their neighbors would want to have people over and have nowhere to park.

Since: Oct 08

Chesterfield, MO

#17 Dec 23, 2008
hmmmm,
I live in Old town, guess thats not a good area to live in? I guess Property values are high because of the crime rate and all the run down houses... wait a second! I dont have that where I live! Would it be safe for me to assume that people in your area dont own more then 1 car because there all poor and your apt complex only allows 2 parking spots per unit.. No it would not, so why dont you stop flexing your internet muscles by thinking you have a clue as to where I live or what I drive. Its a shame you have to diss people you dont know via the internet.

And we have no junk cars, no rust buckets with load audio systems. Everything we own is nice, maybe not all rolling Escalades but were not all cruising Neons either.

BTW My House has 4 bedrooms and I have 4 people living here... I guess thats overkill, I mean why would you want 4 people living in a house with 4 bedrooms! How weird!

Judge

O Fallon, MO

#18 Dec 23, 2008
CitizenOfFlo wrote:
hmmmm,
I live in Old town, guess thats not a good area to live in? I guess Property values are high because of the crime rate and all the run down houses... wait a second! I dont have that where I live! Would it be safe for me to assume that people in your area dont own more then 1 car because there all poor and your apt complex only allows 2 parking spots per unit.. No it would not, so why dont you stop flexing your internet muscles by thinking you have a clue as to where I live or what I drive. Its a shame you have to diss people you dont know via the internet.
And we have no junk cars, no rust buckets with load audio systems. Everything we own is nice, maybe not all rolling Escalades but were not all cruising Neons either.
BTW My House has 4 bedrooms and I have 4 people living here... I guess thats overkill, I mean why would you want 4 people living in a house with 4 bedrooms! How weird!
Sounds to me like you live in a flop house.
No way

Florissant, MO

#19 Dec 23, 2008
CitizenOfFlo wrote:
hmmmm,
I live in Old town, guess thats not a good area to live in? I guess Property values are high because of the crime rate and all the run down houses... wait a second! I dont have that where I live! Would it be safe for me to assume that people in your area dont own more then 1 car because there all poor and your apt complex only allows 2 parking spots per unit.. No it would not, so why dont you stop flexing your internet muscles by thinking you have a clue as to where I live or what I drive. Its a shame you have to diss people you dont know via the internet.
And we have no junk cars, no rust buckets with load audio systems. Everything we own is nice, maybe not all rolling Escalades but were not all cruising Neons either.
BTW My House has 4 bedrooms and I have 4 people living here... I guess thats overkill, I mean why would you want 4 people living in a house with 4 bedrooms! How weird!
I wouldn't live in old town if you paid me. Too many people act like you ... as if they live in Clayton. Keep your cracker house and 7 cars where they are.

Since: Oct 08

Chesterfield, MO

#20 Dec 24, 2008
No way wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't live in old town if you paid me. Too many people act like you ... as if they live in Clayton. Keep your cracker house and 7 cars where they are.
Im proud I own a nice house in a nice part of town and I plan on keeping my 7 cars here. Not too many people can buy a house all on there own at 21, then again a house over 150k. So i'll take your comment as a compliment... Thanks!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Florissant Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Topix contest featuring the resident idiot Hard... 11 hr old citizen 10
New Crimes in Florissant Fri Enter Username 266
Democrats in Chaos (Nov '16) Fri CSM1 159
Who's tired of the loathsome and racist posts b... Thu Doctor Taco 49
HSD is closing the achievement gap (Nov '09) Thu TTU 21
Florissant drivers Nov 16 Hardhead 33
Stanton won't play for Cardinals Nov 14 NFL Rocks 2

Florissant Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Florissant Mortgages