|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2009

Judged:

fred wrote:
I am having a difficult time understanding why it is NOT okay for some parents to question teachers regarding processes, but it is okay for teachers and retired teachers to write hateful things about our superintendent and say hateful things to parents on this board?
Overall, my experiences with teachers, administrators and the superintendent in this district have been positive. I have witnessed great things accomplished under Dr. Wright. I don't know how public schools can get around "teaching to the test" because of NCLB and other threats of closing schools and withholding money due to poor performance on standardized tests.
I get very disallusioned when I read some of the very mean and negative posts by people who claim to be teachers. Will you act this way to my children? I cannot see how this behavior is accomplishing anything. Retiree, if you live here, run for school board if you want to do something productive. Cutting people down on blogs doesn't really accomplish anything.
"What is good for the goose is also good for the gander."
retiree

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2009

Judged:

I was simply pointing out possible reasons for what is happening. It is obvious that you have never worked for Dr. Wright. She has a very different peson for the public than for those who work for her. If you had, you would understand the frustration that has been recounted on this board over and over again. I, though it pains me to admit it, am a senior citizen. I gave a great portion of my life to HSD. I am not giving anymore. I was around for a very long time and was in a position to observe many things. As the saying goes, I know where a lot of the bodies are buried. I saw what has happened from the inside. Since I am retired, I do not have to fear speaking out, not that I did when I was still a teacher. I speak out because I love HSD, it’s students, it’s teachers... And I will defend them until my dying day. As for parents. Have you seen the things they write? Some of them are the ones that do the cutting down.
retiree

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2009

Judged:

One more thought, the name of this particular thread is: Has Chris Wright helped or hurt HSD. How can you make the point that she has hurt HSD without criticizing her?
fred

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2009

Judged:

My point is that putting this kind of stuff on a blog is not helpful to anyone, no matter what the name of the thread is.

It is obvious to me there is a group of people out there, many of them who no longer work for the district or even live here, who strongly dislike Dr. Wright. I get that. I don't agree with your opinions. I can post on here until I am blue in the face, but that doesn't help the district or the kids. So I will continue to volunteer and support the school district and teachers in any way that I can.

Perhaps soon you will get your wish and run Wright right out of town. That doesn't guarantee that you will like the person who follows her any better.
Another HSD retiree

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2009

Judged:

Perhaps soon you will get your wish and run Wright right out of town. That doesn't guarantee that you will like the person who follows her any better.

Who knows with a friendlier Supt. and one who listens, scores might improve. There are some excellent teachers in HSD who stick around for the kids although they hate working for CE. We have lost many excellent teachers because of CW.

Isn't the average stay for a Supt. about 7 years? If so, then it is time for CW to want to move on as she is really interested in becoming the Commissioner of Education for the State of Missouri.
New teacher

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2009

Judged:

I like many of the other young teachers came to Hazelwood for many reasons. HSD is known for being a progressive and challenging school district. Dr. Wright is known through St. Louis County and the state of Missouri (for that fact) as being one of the best superintendents in the country. Hazelwood school district also has the reputation of some historic baggage. Young teachers are not afraid to deal with the challenges of a suburban school district that is experiencing changes in diversity. Although I know many of my senior teachers who seemed to struggle with diversity and strong leadership. I was fortunate to be raised in a family with parents who were teachers who knew the meaning of THE work. It is because of their encouragement and guidance I selected Hazelwood.
It stands to reason,(if what is said is true) that the state of Missouri would also see the positives in Dr. Wright. No wonder the Department of Education has solicited (headhunted) her for the position of Commissioner. This will truly be a loss to Hazelwood school district and our community. Myself and many other teachers feel very fortunate to learn and grow from Dr. Wright. Good luck an many more successes.
HSD teacher

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2009

Judged:

Good riddance if she leaves. Would throw a party when she leaves but she would think it was in her honor, not our relief at getting rid of her. I am not afraid of hard work, but would like the opportunity to be able to spend sometime studying all of the changes before having to implement and continually waiting for the next new one to surface. Oh, the joy of watching kids faces when we could do "fun" things with them as we did in the past which broadened their learning.

There are many things that are not on the "test" that kids need to learn. But it seems that the socializing of the nation is now moving to a national curriculum. So far, MO has resisted joining the rush.
retiree

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2009

Today, she was named as one of the three finalists for the job of Commissioner of Education. She isn't being "run out of town". We were/are just a stepping stone in her greater plan.
Kind of like Sherman's march.
HSD Parent

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2009

Judged:

HSD is just a stepping stone for her. Everything is about her. She did not bet the scores, the teachers got the scores. They are the ones in the trenches. It is very easy for someone to walk through a class and point out something. They were not there before the visit nor after to see the total picture.

CW has two faces, the one which the public sees and the mean face that employees see. Everyone is afraid for their job so they do not stand up to her and tell her when she is wrong.
employee

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2009

Judged:

I work for the district. I have questioned Dr. Wright. I have disagreed with her, face-to-face. She was professional about it. I have not been fired, threatened or demoted. Don't believe everything you hear.

This is a huge loss for our district and there are many employees upset about the possibility of losing her. The people who dislike her who post on here do not represent the feelings of all employees.

Hazelwood was on the verge of losing its accreditation when she got here. That is no longer the case.
retiree

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2009

Judged:

employee wrote:
I work for the district. I have questioned Dr. Wright. I have disagreed with her, face-to-face. She was professional about it. I have not been fired, threatened or demoted. Don't believe everything you hear.
This is a huge loss for our district and there are many employees upset about the possibility of losing her. The people who dislike her who post on here do not represent the feelings of all employees.
Hazelwood was on the verge of losing its accreditation when she got here. That is no longer the case.
This is the attitude of many of the teachers hired after Dr. Wright. They don't know what it was like before her so they think the way it is now is the way it should be. How can anyone say that allowing students to re-take a test as many times as the want, be able to turn in homework until the last day of the semester, not being able to fail a student or for a student to get suspended or middle school students being forced to stay after school to do the homework they didn't do good things? How does any of this teach responsibility? What are these kids going to do when they go to college or into the real world and no one is there to hold there hands?
retiree

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2009

Judged:

P.S.
EVERY school district was on the verge of failure back then because that was the beginning of the No Child Left Behind BS.
employee

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2009

Judged:

retiree wrote:
P.S.
EVERY school district was on the verge of failure back then because that was the beginning of the No Child Left Behind BS.
This really isn't true. No Child Left Behind doesn't determine your accreditation with the state. The accreditation is determined by DESE.

NCLB has additional penalties for poor student performance.

A few years ago, HSD earned 6 points toward accreditation. Last year, HSD earned 10 points. Not every district in the state was on the verge of losing accreditation a few years ago. Look it up!
floresident

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Judged:

retiree wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the attitude of many of the teachers hired after Dr. Wright. They don't know what it was like before her so they think the way it is now is the way it should be. How can anyone say that allowing students to re-take a test as many times as the want, be able to turn in homework until the last day of the semester, not being able to fail a student or for a student to get suspended or middle school students being forced to stay after school to do the homework they didn't do good things? How does any of this teach responsibility? What are these kids going to do when they go to college or into the real world and no one is there to hold there hands?
There was a "crisis" in elementary shortly after CW arrived and now there is a "crisis" in the high schools. What in the hell was she doing for the six years she had been here about high schools????

Almost as if she wants a crisis situation every couple of years. This shows ineffective leadership.
retiree

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Judged:

Sad thing about polls is that people can express an opinion without having to face someone. Guess those who are HSD residents have personally been in a meeting with the board, Supt. or one of her minions.

54% helped 45% hurt tells me that there are quite a few people who are dissatisfied with CW.
Mark

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Judged:

retiree wrote:
Sad thing about polls is that people can express an opinion without having to face someone. Guess those who are HSD residents have personally been in a meeting with the board, Supt. or one of her minions.
54% helped 45% hurt tells me that there are quite a few people who are dissatisfied with CW.
Retiree I did not catch your name, mine is Mark. I have tried to provide information and occasional opinions. I faced a lot of anonymous authors, you being one. Tell me your name and why you are upset, maybe we can work through it. If you're not comfortable doing it here I am sure you have the resources and the ambition to call me. Mark
value of the poll

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Judged:

retiree wrote:
you can't seriously take this poll as scientific....you can vote multiple times.....there is about 6 real people on this thread, different id's and different posts. Some are seriously talking to themselves under different id's.

“I am a Pit Bull ”

Since: Aug 08

on the pantleg of opportunity

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

value of the poll wrote:
<quoted text>
you can't seriously take this poll as scientific....you can vote multiple times.....there is about 6 real people on this thread, different id's and different posts. Some are seriously talking to themselves under different id's.
I agree. That's why I never vote on any polls, internet or otherwise. Even polls taken by newspapers, television and phone solicitations are not accurate even by their percentage of error. Heck even elections are not always accurate especially when groups like ACORN stuff the ballot boxes. And look at St. Louis County election board where a known influential union president gets the assistance his pipe fitters to play dirty politics.

I'm sure HSD has their share of influence as well. So no polls will ever be 100% accurate.
Mark

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2009

Judged:

employee wrote:
Employee,#50; Thank you for your testimonial. Dr. Wright does not have the time to focus on terminating someone because of a disagreement. Teachers can simply check with the HNEA to verify just how many teachers have been fired over the seven years she has been here, for something of this nature. I will tell you 0. I have been around in many gatherings of administrators, teachers and Dr. Wright. I am not much of a socializer which gives me the opportunity to observe. Dr. Wright has been approached by many teachers and regardless of her schedule restraints, has always been cordial and willing to spend time with that person. I have observed discussions pertaining to disagreements of opinions. Never once have I heard from Dr. Wright “that teacher must go”. On the other hand I have heard board members including myself make that statement in a executive board meeting. Dr. Wright has always been supportive of the teachers.

I must admit when I first heard Dr. Wright was being headhunted and solicited by the state for the Commissioner's position I was selfishly unhappy. HSD has never consciously set out to steal or persuade a renowned teacher or administrator over the years. After coming to my senses and thinking through the process I realized how positive of an effect and impact this would be. Although the state is looking for a leader they are also looking for CHANGE, no different than we in 2002. Over the past years of improvements in Hazelwood and the direct inclusion/oversight with DESE, no wonder they are IMPRESSED. If and I say if, Dr. Wright is successful in becoming the state's next Commissioner this will mean that her Hazelwood plan will become the state's MODEL. Although she may be physically leaving the district, as Commissioner she will still have a strong influence on Hazelwood's achievement success. Hazlewood is the MODEL and we shall continue to improve. The motto “ HAZELWOOD 1ST” was no mistake. Mark
retiree

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2009

May God have mercy on the state if she is selected. They do not know what is in store for them.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

16 Users are viewing the Florissant Forum right now

Search the Florissant Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Jamestown Mall Rebuild REC PLEX / Family Arena 18 min Rev 6
old quick trip 5 hr chic fe let 2
Don Houston for State Representative Dist. 74 19 hr flodaddy 12
July 28th Meeting 23 hr Resident 3
Jamestown "Mall" (Jul '08) Tue Rev 160
Former Michael's/Petco bldg. on corner of Lindb... Mon Rev 11
Steve Stenger for County Exec Mon hardhead 15
•••
•••