Armed standoff in Florham Park

Full story: Daily Record
FLORHAM PARK -- Authorities have shut down a long portion of North Passaic Avenue surrounding the Pioneers Rental lot, where it is believed an armed man is holed up. Full Story
Bob U

New Brunswick, NJ

#1 Aug 18, 2006
This is absolutely ridiculous. We need to send a message to our local police that this behavior of their’s is unacceptable. I can see shutting down such a huge area if there was a guy with a gun walking around shooting at people, but to have such a massive overreaction, and to shut down such a huge area for just a single complaint is beyond ridiculous, it’s moronic. Is there not one cop from any of the 4 or 5 offices involved that was man enough to just walk up to the guy’s door and knock on it to see if there was even a problem? I know there is some risk involved there (a reasonable amount if you ask me) but that is what you are paid to do. If police overreacted this way every time someone was suspected of violence we’d have to shut down every city in America.
My biggest complaint is the police are actually causing more danger than they are "preventing", and obviously they are not even doing that. By not giving the hundreds and perhaps even thousands of people access to their homes they are putting many into precarious situations that both did and had the potential to cost people a great loss of income, personal property damage and even physical harm. I know one young girl who was alone at home for over 5 hours. Her mother not able to get home from work.
The attitude of the police was completely out of line too. None of the police would give anyone any information to help us make our own decisions. I was trapped in my house not allowed to leave. Was it safe for my kids? Was there a maniac on the loose? Should I evacuate? No answers from any of the police forces involved, and I called them all. They all had a "shut up and sit down" attitude. I was told there was a "police investigation" taking place, and to remain in my house. Meanwhile I have kids visiting my house whose parents are freaking out, not knowing if things are safe or not. My wife has groceries in the car and young children with her and she is forced to sit on the side of the road for 5 hours not able to get home, I am not allowed to leave home and conduct business, my children are now afraid to live in their own house because there are paramilitary morons running around everywhere with automatic weapons. I'll tell you what, someone should have called the cops on the cops. I suspect they do this just because they get a pay bump and they like playing "army".
We must do something to get the police to get in line. They are out of control. Talking to police yesterday I got the impression it was my job to serve and protect them!
Bob U

New Brunswick, NJ

#2 Aug 18, 2006
For the record, I am from Florham Park, I do not know why my last post says Bayonne, NJ
Andy from Verona

Montclair, NJ

#3 Jun 20, 2007
Bob you are ridiculous. The police took every precaution to make sure your family was safe and stayed in the house. What if they let you or your children walk outside and someone got shot? You would have a lawsuit against the township stating the police didn't take proper action. It's a double edged sword. Ever hear the saying "better safe then sorry?"
Bob U wrote:
This is absolutely ridiculous. We need to send a message to our local police that this behavior of their’s is unacceptable. I can see shutting down such a huge area if there was a guy with a gun walking around shooting at people, but to have such a massive overreaction, and to shut down such a huge area for just a single complaint is beyond ridiculous, it’s moronic. Is there not one cop from any of the 4 or 5 offices involved that was man enough to just walk up to the guy’s door and knock on it to see if there was even a problem? I know there is some risk involved there (a reasonable amount if you ask me) but that is what you are paid to do. If police overreacted this way every time someone was suspected of violence we’d have to shut down every city in America.
My biggest complaint is the police are actually causing more danger than they are "preventing", and obviously they are not even doing that. By not giving the hundreds and perhaps even thousands of people access to their homes they are putting many into precarious situations that both did and had the potential to cost people a great loss of income, personal property damage and even physical harm. I know one young girl who was alone at home for over 5 hours. Her mother not able to get home from work.
The attitude of the police was completely out of line too. None of the police would give anyone any information to help us make our own decisions. I was trapped in my house not allowed to leave. Was it safe for my kids? Was there a maniac on the loose? Should I evacuate? No answers from any of the police forces involved, and I called them all. They all had a "shut up and sit down" attitude. I was told there was a "police investigation" taking place, and to remain in my house. Meanwhile I have kids visiting my house whose parents are freaking out, not knowing if things are safe or not. My wife has groceries in the car and young children with her and she is forced to sit on the side of the road for 5 hours not able to get home, I am not allowed to leave home and conduct business, my children are now afraid to live in their own house because there are paramilitary morons running around everywhere with automatic weapons. I'll tell you what, someone should have called the cops on the cops. I suspect they do this just because they get a pay bump and they like playing "army".
We must do something to get the police to get in line. They are out of control. Talking to police yesterday I got the impression it was my job to serve and protect them!

Since: Jun 07

Nantucket, MA

#4 Jun 27, 2007
Andy from Verona wrote:
Bob you are ridiculous. The police took every precaution to make sure your family was safe and stayed in the house. What if they let you or your children walk outside and someone got shot? You would have a lawsuit against the township stating the police didn't take proper action. It's a double edged sword. Ever hear the saying "better safe then sorry?"
<quoted text>
I agree, this is a safety order for the sake of you!
For the record: I live in Livingston, NJ.(WHY STATEN ISLAND, NY?!?!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Florham Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Netcong, NJ, councilman and St. Michael's churc... (Oct '10) Thu John 94
Calling All Elves: Santa Claus Shop Requests Do... Oct 3 Margie 1
Hit and run in front of Starbucks 09/29/14 Sep 30 Egolden85 1
Review: DaVinciTek Sep '14 dvtemployee 1
cleaning service Sep '14 linda 1
Mold Removal, Mold Remediation, Mold Testing, M... (Dec '10) Sep '14 walkerwilliam91 2
Mayflower Chinese Restaurant in Morristown Sep '14 JTM2 1

Florham Park News Video

Florham Park Dating
Find my Match

Florham Park Jobs

Florham Park People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Florham Park News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Florham Park

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]