Florence teacher not guilty

Florence teacher not guilty

There are 37 comments on the The Daily News story from Mar 7, 2008, titled Florence teacher not guilty. In it, The Daily News reports that:

“He said at the beginning of the year, don't be afraid to ask, I didn't do anything wrong, I just asked a question.”

FLORENCE, Wis. - Jurors in the trial of Florence teacher Nick Baumgart found him not guilty of felony child abuse after a second day of testimony and 90 minutes of deliberation late Thursday afternoon. via The Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Daily News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
mowyourbush

Iron Mountain, MI

#21 Mar 19, 2008
judge kennedy is a awesome judge. i love his hair it is so sexy. he is getting my vote. based on the donald trump combover. yes i remember the murder trial like it was yesterday i sat in the same seat that i sat in during baumgart trial i think the jury was unfair during both trials. what a shame florence county is all over the news again. if it wasnt about the murder in florence then came a referendum along with a teacher who abuses children. for the love of god why the hell would you want to live here.

mercedes
YOUWHAT

Iron Mountain, MI

#22 Mar 19, 2008
Hello!
I am back, Yes I know for a fact that jury was tanted. Yes I agree FLORENCE is a very small town, the only thing you should be able to ask for is a fare TRIAL. I agree some kids can be dis-respectful, however taking your aggressiion out on them and putting your 'lively hood or as the lawyer would say capital punishment' on the line.........who is the fool? I think it's just non-sense. Where is all this information you 'HEARD' coming from? I was at the TRIAL and just listening. I sotra have my opinion now after hearing the KIDS whom are sorta well known in the community TALK. I feel bad for those kids, not the TEACHER.

THANKS FOR SHARING your INPUT (EVERYONE).

Since: Jan 08

Florence, WI

#23 Mar 20, 2008
In final.....I suggest that the most recent posters attend the GED classes offered in your area.

Your command,(lack of) of the English Language, your spelling, and your inability to respond with anything relevent to the article at hand has me questioning your completion of school and/or your behaviors prior to dropping out.

You are prime examples of what is paramountly causing the complete downfall and lack of our country's ability to "compete" academically in the world.

I will respond no further to your "trolling" and your responses which do not address the article in question.

Go read a book.
YOUWHAT

Iron Mountain, MI

#24 Mar 20, 2008
this is not about grammer. its a topic of guilty or not quilty. we all have our opinoin of this case and i believe he is GUILTY. as you are constantly talking about the country i have my freedom to speak.. and once again he is quilty. are you calling all these children liars????

by the way what is a GED?
SMOKING IS BAD

Iron Mountain, MI

#25 Mar 20, 2008
Alright! My thoughts, Florence has had there share of PROBLEM CHILDREN. A number of years ago grave-stones were tipped over, where were there parents? What was the problem there? They were I believe troubled kids, in school, the community etc. Were they ever removed in a violent way out of class? They were mouthy! UUMM How about the break in's just a couple years ago to the elderly stuff, the tackle shop, etc. What was the story there? I dont recall hearing a situation similar to this happening at school because they were TROUBLED. Do any of you? So I ask, a troubled, disruptive, shy, honor-roll student, band member........do they deserve to be removed that way? Let me ask this, should a teachers BOSS remove him/her from a class-room in that manner? Absoultely NOT! There are still laws that need/have to protect STUDENTS when they are at school. I think the situation should have been handled differently by the NUMBER ONE PERSON WHO SHOULD/HAS TO BE in control. The adult figure!!!!!!! I think enough is enough though, quit putting the kids who had nothing to do with the overall 'abuse' or whatever you want to call it between the teacher and the student. Have to have some type of closer to there 8th grade year, they are what FRESHMEN now and by the sounds of this could still be dealing with this into there sophomore years until they graduate from FLORENCE. I wish the best for these kids going threw school. I think we need to look back on this in a few years when these kids are out in the community. This type of up-roar can cause life affects on kids. If all of you on this board are so concerned look things up on if something tramatic happens in a school environment and how it affects them with problem solving in life. School is where you learn LIFE LESSONS, I hope this is one that is not a LIFE LESSON. GOOD DAY and I want to know how you all feel on my comment?
Jack Frost

Iron Mountain, MI

#26 Mar 22, 2008
I agree with smoking, lifes lessons teach use alot, the old school is gone and we deal with the here and now. The fact remains the teacher was found not guilty, this teacher is not innocent by his own testamony.Drmboteannie is very confussed on the facts, yes the Jury foreman is the father of a teacher who teaches in the Florence district and its very obvious this person didn't listen well that day if in fact they were in court, because the Judge clearly instructed ALL to control there noise outbursts would not be tollerated. The teacher broke the law when he grab the child weather or not he deserved it or not it was a hostel act by the teacher they are supposed to know better and have of control of not only there class but themselves as well!!! I dare say if a parent did this to a child at the school they would be turned in for abuse by the teachers. The fact remains you cannot wait until next time, the next victim maynot be able to tell, what would have happened if this young person head was hit against the door frame or other object, yes the kid appears to be a smart mouth but he wasn't a physical threat and that is when the law says physical force can be used. The victims are the Students subjected to this behavior/rage of the teacher and continual badgering by over paid lawyers. I say the teacher GOES he crossed the line now move on!!!!!!!!
bear

United States

#27 Mar 25, 2008
you will need force to make me leave a county i have been a resident of for 32 years, get Baumgaurt to do it, drembote,miss you
Dave

Escanaba, MI

#28 Mar 27, 2008
So when you lose an argument you belittle the messanger, I guess when you grow up you get to be supperior to a tax paying Florence county resident. I agree with you the student should be expeled, but so should the teacher. you will not get a quality education by using fear and humiliation all you will get is, more problems for society outside the school. Respect must be earned. Since you also question my spelling I guess this makes you a know-it-all punk, and you
know what to do.

I live on the Chain-of-Lakes so you want to talk about somebody paying taxes!! I know Mr. Baumgart personally do you? I have a Son who attends Florence Elementary--do you? I coach soccer for the Florence Youth and I coach a basketball team Do you? I used to be a teacher at Florence-- were you ever a teacher? Please explain to everyone on this site how you can claim to know so much about this incident. As far as a know-it-all punk at 45 years of age, a college education, and a family--I don't think the word punk is appropriate. Sorry about the "learn how to spell part" everybody has an opinion--mine is an educated opinion becuase I am in the Florence school on a daily basis.
Dave

Escanaba, MI

#29 Mar 27, 2008
In final.....I suggest that the most recent posters attend the GED classes offered in your area.

Your command,(lack of) of the English Language, your spelling, and your inability to respond with anything relevent to the article at hand has me questioning your completion of school and/or your behaviors prior to dropping out.

You are prime examples of what is paramountly causing the complete downfall and lack of our country's ability to "compete" academically in the world.

I will respond no further to your "trolling" and your responses which do not address the article in question.

Go read a book.

Thank You--Finally--somebody else who can read and write. The lack of educated thoughts and the poor grammar takes away from any credibility you writers may have. I will no longer respond as I cannot stand to look at misspelling, poor grammar, sentences with no structure or meaning. We are talking about education people!! You cannot teach without discipline in the classroom. My 10 year-old Son can write better that most of you who have posted comments against Mr. Baumgart.
bear

United States

#30 Mar 27, 2008
Dave It is good to know we have such bigited and intolerant people at Florence schools, who like to show thier superiority on this site, I would like to see what you would post if you new I was not of your religion, or color, you are whats wrong with society, and Florence schools. You can aford your tax's what with your sallery. You will never get support for the school as long as thier are people like you who belittle the law and your fellow residents. As a combat vet I wish I had known about you before I fought for your right to disrespect me, I would not have bothered you and Baumgart are not worth my sacrifices. Barry
Educated

Milwaukee, WI

#31 Mar 29, 2008
I read all the comments, and anyone who has any
leadership skills, know you are not suppose to
put your hands on another person. If you were to
cross that line in the workplace you be fired, no
questions asked. Everyone knows that (commom sense)If you put your hands on someone in a bar
in would be called assault. If you do it in
the Florence School " it considered o.k.

Now ask yourself, who in their right mind would
consider bringing this teacher back..

THANK YOU FLORNCE SCHOOL BOARD FOR DOING YOU
JOB...

EDUCATED WITH A CLEAR MIND OF WHAT'S RIGH AND
WRONG AND NO A GOOD OLD BOYS CLUB MEMBER!!!!
AIRPORT

Iron Mountain, MI

#32 Mar 30, 2008
Alright explain to me CHAIN-O-LAKES how do you have an un-bias opinion about this situation when you say in your post that you know MR. BAUMGART himself? Can you seperate what you know of him, and WHAT HE DID TESIFY that he did do in that classroom that day? I dont think what HE did deserved JAIL TIME however I keep juggling this back and forth. Would I want this guy teaching my kid? Would I as a student respect him if I was In that classroom that day? Would I feel I was able to communicate with him on any subject that might 'TRIGGER' a mood change?

Now lets touch on the subject of what was printed in the paper the other day. The administration needs to go or has to change. Why is it that everytime something happens at that school its the administrations fault? Basically since the up-roar a few years ago the board was in a sense HAND PICKED! Fine, but now they are doing what is in the best interest of covering there butts and doing what is best for the DISTRICT. NOT and I repeat not the TEACHER so now we are in a up-roar again. When you pick-up the paper and read you hear the same people over and over being quoted. I do give those people credit for attending the meetings. I only can on certain times because I dont work a set schedule. HOWEVER you dont see those same people at meetings unless there is conflict. Do they ever come in and say hey your doing a good job to the board? Why is it that one there is 'TROUBLE' those 'bad seeds' show up again and voice there opinion and the finger is pointed at someone else? Time to look beyond the teachers and what stands in the future.......THE KIDS! Take off your teacher tinted classes and realize its about the future of our school and who walks throw those doors. If you take any so called problem child out of the school and deny them an education what are you saying??? WE DONT NEED students we need TEACHERS. If you dont have students good nor bad YOU DONT HAVE TEACHERS AND YOU DONT HAVE A SCHOOL. Florence was a nice place to hear about 10 to 15 years ago now its just another place.
Dave

Escanaba, MI

#33 Mar 31, 2008
Ok--Last one for sure. I grew-up in a time where parents supported the teachers. If my Son was grabbed by the shirt for disrupting class, I would drive to the school and take him home--first, I would apologize to the teacher for my son's behavior and then he would apologize to the teacher and his classmates. I have a Son who attends Florence Elementary and when he received a detention, I made him apologize to his teacher and I grounded him for two weeks. People from my generation can't understand paying attorneys thousands of dollars for what we view as acceptable. If my son is disruptive in class, his teachers have my blessing to remove him by his shirt if necessary. Teacher's didn't get charged with Felonies when I went to school and we just cannot see the rationale for wasting taxpayer's dollars to ruin a man's career. Sister Marla has stood by Nick's side throughout this whole ordeal--are you going to say she is not a good judge of moral character? No wonder my neighbors send their children to Iron Mountain--I don't agree with this practice but I am starting to have more empathy for their actions. You don't hear of these problems in Kingsford or North Dickinson--Forest Park--on and on and on. I taught in Florence for a brief time so I know the children are receiving a good--quality education. However, it could be better if tougher disciplinary policies were enforced. I am doing everything in my power to make Florence a better school district. Like I posted earlier, I coach basketball, soccer, and volunteer my time to teach computer concepts to the children of the Florence County school district. I give my time to the school and we need alot more volunteers to do the same
AIRPORT

Iron Mountain, MI

#34 Mar 31, 2008
I think some people like you mentioned in your last post SHOULD stay NEUTRAL. I like some of your ideas about VOLUNTEERING! They are a positive influence on the children in that county and show them that people DO CARE. Its a good up-side to the school district. Its a long up-hill battle for that place.......I just hope the kids can make things better.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#35 Apr 8, 2008
I want to point out, there are still some schools in this country that do paddle kids. With everyone claiming that's "abuse" I wanted to clear that up.
livinthesticks

Milwaukee, WI

#36 Apr 9, 2008
RRREEEAAALLLLYYYYYY!!
Maybe they should do that to the teachers in front of there co-workers and the students they TEACH. You know a full-circle type affect!
MRSGED

Milwaukee, WI

#37 May 19, 2008
Is this over yet???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Florence Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fence Jul '16 Jessie4harrison 1
Polish Heritage days 2016- Does anyone know the... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Cindy of Oak Creek 2
Hospice care in Armstrong Creek Wisconsin (Sep '14) Sep '14 DonnaKM 1
News White Buffalo born in Forest County (Aug '14) Aug '14 Marian Caelwaerts 1
News Steve Loehrke - Where do we get a guy like this? (Mar '06) Mar '12 public unions suck 3
News Illinois man charged after bizarre chase of... (Jan '12) Jan '12 Naughtyrobot 12
Debate: Immigrant Amnesty - Florence, WI (Jan '12) Jan '12 spytheweb 2

Florence Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Florence Mortgages