Customer in Hartsville

Summerville, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2009

My family has been relying on the UPS store (Mail Boxes Etc.) on 4th street in Hartsville for some years now, especially at Christmas time to always get our packages delivered safe and sound and courteous friendly service.(they are the same owners as the store in Florence)

Since Dec the quality of service has declined. Last week, I tried to ship a COD package and everything that could go wrong went wrong, and then some.

First the girl there mis-priced and over-weighted my package and was going to over charge my COD customer by $30. When I brought it to her attention, she told me "take it or leave it". Infuriated, I called the manager. The manager apologised and promised to send my importnat package herself the following morning.

The 36x13x11 7lb package that I shipped was returned as undeliverable to me with half of it's contents STOLEN, the box cut opened and badly crushed. It was so badly taped up that I am shocked that neither I nor my wife were notified of the horrible condition of my parcel prior to my wife picking it up. The returned box is now 34x17x7 2lbs and looks like a 7 year old taped it up after stomping on it.

As far as the Delivery Guarantee that UPS told me of when I first shipped my package, they are making me jump through rings and hoops and making the procedd as uncomfortable as possible for me. I was told that the investigation will take 4 to 6b weeks before I find out if they will even reimburse me.

The UPS Store manager has made me feel that I did something wrong and is making me look for 5 year old purchase reciepts for the stolen items before they will do anything. Thi sis the same manager who shipped my box and now she refuses to come look at the box in the condition as it is now! So much for my Guarantee, Customer Care and UPS accountability.

One bad experience is all it takes. now my business credibility is ruined because I cannot reship or replace the stolen merchandise and my customer is very upset with me. My family is also upset and UPS has permanently lost 10 customers not just one.

Unless you desire the same type of customer service I highly suggest avoiding this store and use USPS or FedEX. There is no excuse whatsoever for this type of bad service.
Ron

Point Pleasant Beach, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2009

This is why I always go directly to the UPS depot. These stores are so high priced as opposed to the actual depot. It may be a few miles from you, but the savings will more than cover it
Customer in Hartsville wrote:
My family has been relying on the UPS store (Mail Boxes Etc.) on 4th street in Hartsville for some years now, especially at Christmas time to always get our packages delivered safe and sound and courteous friendly service.(they are the same owners as the store in Florence)
Since Dec the quality of service has declined. Last week, I tried to ship a COD package and everything that could go wrong went wrong, and then some.
First the girl there mis-priced and over-weighted my package and was going to over charge my COD customer by $30. When I brought it to her attention, she told me "take it or leave it". Infuriated, I called the manager. The manager apologised and promised to send my importnat package herself the following morning.
The 36x13x11 7lb package that I shipped was returned as undeliverable to me with half of it's contents STOLEN, the box cut opened and badly crushed. It was so badly taped up that I am shocked that neither I nor my wife were notified of the horrible condition of my parcel prior to my wife picking it up. The returned box is now 34x17x7 2lbs and looks like a 7 year old taped it up after stomping on it.
As far as the Delivery Guarantee that UPS told me of when I first shipped my package, they are making me jump through rings and hoops and making the procedd as uncomfortable as possible for me. I was told that the investigation will take 4 to 6b weeks before I find out if they will even reimburse me.
The UPS Store manager has made me feel that I did something wrong and is making me look for 5 year old purchase reciepts for the stolen items before they will do anything. Thi sis the same manager who shipped my box and now she refuses to come look at the box in the condition as it is now! So much for my Guarantee, Customer Care and UPS accountability.
One bad experience is all it takes. now my business credibility is ruined because I cannot reship or replace the stolen merchandise and my customer is very upset with me. My family is also upset and UPS has permanently lost 10 customers not just one.
Unless you desire the same type of customer service I highly suggest avoiding this store and use USPS or FedEX. There is no excuse whatsoever for this type of bad service.
Sad in Hartsville

Summerville, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2009

Over two weeks ago, I sent in all receipts and photos of my package to the manager of the Hartsville store. She told me that it would be at least 6 weeks or more before my claim was handled. I asked her to please call me to keep me informed and was very polite to her.

Two weeks and some days later, I still have not heard from her, so I called and left a message. I also called the guy at UPS corporate who also did not return my calls.

So I called the main UPS store in Sumter (they own most of the UPS stores around, including Hartsville) and they made me call the Office Manager. She told me that their UPS Stores are not responsible in any way whatsoever for packages if they get lost or damaged because they are a "shell store" and UPS Corp. handles their claims.
She started to raise her voice to me when I asked her if anyone can please tell me what the status of my reimbursement is. Her reply was:

"We don't handle that. Your claim goes to UPS and in 6 weeks you will get a letter telling you whether they will honor your claim or why they turned it down" "We have no say on it, those are the rules".

I politely explained to Mrs. UPS Store Office Manager that I understand her predicament but I felt that she did not understand mine. "All I wanted to do was ship a box and collect my COD for my property, now I have nothing" I told her.

At this point the conversation turned ugly. She started talking loudly over me, not letting me get a word in as if talking down to me.

Way to treat a customer.

I again politely explained to her "All I wanted to do was ship a box and collect my COD for my property" when she broke in with "didn't we ship the package for free?" Yes, I said because after all the problems I had, "I" asked you to, or I would have taken my business to FedEx, now my property is missing and you are not helping me at this point". "The end result is all that I care about, and my property or my money is missing and nobody can tell me anything".

I explained to her that the company I work for is also a "Shell" of the big corporation, but we / I stand fully behind what goods and services that I sell and while I do comprehend her situation, I don't think that the UPS store was forthright in explaining that they are "not responsible for shipped packages" as she was saying, BEFORE I shipped my package.(so, what exactly do they mean by "Guaranteed then?").

She kept insisting that I should be satisfied and again, I politely reminded her "All I wanted to do was ship a box and collect my COD for my property, now my property and my money are missing", "Why should I be happy?" She replied "Well of all the customers you are the only one having a problem". Way to treat a customer.

At this point she was getting very irate, I politely told her that I have many people in town, friends and family who use their service, she interrupted me and shouted "YOU ARE THREATENING ME??!!!!"
I was shocked and dumbfounded at such bold-ignorance, and replied "no, I am not threatening you, maam, I am just saying that my family...

I never got to finish my sentence. She yelled at me "Well, I'll just call the Store Manager and tell her to call you, have a GOOD day!" and slammed the phone down on me.

Wow, Way to treat a customer.

Just lettin people know. Freedom of Speech, baby, Freedom of speech.
Laurali

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2009

I myself witnessed a issue that happened when I was in the UPS store in Hartsville. My husband and I were in there to fax some papers off and there was a young man in there also. The young man was trying to ask a question when I think the SAME MRS.UPS was very nasty yelling and then wouldn't give him the mail that he had been receiving in his mailbox for the last year. She told him since the 2 people that he was getting mail in his mail box were not on his contract and threw his mail in the return to sender box. Then he tried very nicely to explain to her that one is his mother's whom is disabled and lives in Columbia and can't drive and she replied not my problem then he told her that the other one was his partner and she replied well I have to see there ID he said they are not able to get out and about and that they were blind she replied NOT MY PROBLEM... And was so RUDE and NASTY to him. This whole time I am standing there in TOTAL SHOCK on how rude she was to this young man. Well then she told him to Leave the store or she was calling the police. Well he goes to walk out the door and she replies BYE MAMA BYE MAMA! and he turns around and comes back and asked for her managers number and she refused to give it to him said I will give him yours and it will be up to him if he wants to call you. So he goes to walk out again and she said the samething BYE MAMA and he comes back and said hold on let me record you saying this and she picked up the phone and called the police but hung up after she dialed the number he walked out and my husband went out and told him we would be glad to stand behind him because that was way out of line and being prejudice against someone because they live a different life style is none of anyone's business to be mad public and embarrass someone because you think it makes you look big. Then MRS.UPS called her boss and I am standing there still in shock she tells him a WHOLE LIE and told him that the guy was rude to her and nasty and that was not soo. I think the UPS store is a bad place. I went in the store about a 2months ago and went to drop my postal boxes off something that I have done and then when I walked in the door MRS.UPS said NOPE they were charging $2.00 per boxes because the post office wasn't picking the boxes up BULL CRAP the postal person goes up there every day so that was CRAP.. Since Kathi has left the UPS store things there have gotten way out of hand. She was Fired because of a young girl stole money out of the drawer and Kathi was blamed for something that wasn't her fault. I think if more people stuck together and stopped using the UPS Store I think it would go under and close. I refuse to go there I go to Bilo and fax it is a $1.00 per page and they are nicer and not rude. I will be taking my business to UPS in Florence the Terminal better chance of getting better service. Hartville is a small town and people stick together....
Sad In Hartsville

Summerville, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2009

Since my last post I still have not received any communication from the owners of the Hartsville UPS store. I have called Corporate numerous times and left messages only to play phone tag. I never actually got to talk to a person.

Well, now it gets interesting...If you reference my previous post in this thread:
Wow way to treat a Customer, you'll remember I paraphrased the manager as specifically telling me:

"their UPS Stores are not responsible in any way whatsoever for packages if they get lost or damaged because they are a "shell store" and UPS Corp. handles their claims"

Well, after all that, I get a check...NOT from UPS Corporate as she so inclined but issued from Hartsville Bank of America and the local UPS Store branch, which she specifically told me was impossible to do. Hmmmm. But I am glad that I was ultimately reimbursed regardless.

It all goes to show the power of perseverance. What did Judge Judy once say about "don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining..."?

BTW - most of the PeeDee UPS Stores are all owned by the same person, the main office is in Timmonsville, thats what was on my check, but eh bank is in Hartsville.
pookie

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2009

here is some info on the doings of ups http://beforeushipups.blogspot.com/
Dana

Lanett, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2009

I just had a very similar problem. I shipped 50 letter openers to a customer ($650 retail value) and when the customer received the box 95% of the merchandise was stolen. We live in a small town that doesn't have a UPS shipping location so we ship via the Pharmacy. My guess is their label said "Pharmacy" and someone thought they were getting medications!

In you case, did you refund the person their money?

UPS say's the box had to be declared but all I did was hand over the package and was not asked about value. Needless to say, I won't do that again!
Customer in Hartsville wrote:
Erin mullaney

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2012

They are so incompetent and also bullies!!!!!
Here's my story.
I recently opened up business trading Chinese fabrics to coat manufacturers in NY after working for other people for so many years. One of the expenses is courrier charge which my Chinese counterpart was going to be responsible for, so after shopping around in china, she got UPS to be the courrier to use where I will use her account number and she will be billed.
After research, I started going to a UPS store on broadway in garment center, where I will bring a document in an envelope that was to be sent to china. Each time I went, I would ask if all info needed is on the airway bill, and I was told, " yes, everything is perfect!" and I would take the copy of the airway bill. What I didn't realize at the time was that no matter what the service, one has to open an account which I didn't. So they just randomly assigned a number for me and continued to allow me to send out packages while they were racking up all kind of charges without ever sending me a bill.
I heard from an agent once about a bill that was not being paid and to which my answer was, I am not responsible for any of these bills , because I mark the part, where it says, receiver's account number and right down my Chinese colleague's account number. It would have crossed my mind to look into the billing matter had I received a bill once. I never received a bill from them ever!!!! And then they handed the delinquent bill to a collect agency and then to a law office who calls and threatens with a law suit if bill doesn't get paid.
Now while this was going on, I spoke to numerous people at UPS , even faxed 5 pages of proof of bills paid in china and also a letter from my Chinese counterpart saying that she would be responsible for all the charges incurred. With the exception of the first young lady who answered the phone, all the customer service agents were very helpful. Well, that's what I thought! Because apparently after being threatened by the law office a couple of times, I asked them to please deal with the law office, the promise was made that I would never receive a phone call from them but only 3 days after that promise was made, I got another call from the law office. And that when I next made another call to customer service, I was told by another agent that the matters were entirely out of their hands and that I would have to deal with the law office and that whoever informed me before didn't know what they were talking about, meaning the several agents and supervisors,,,, and then she hung up on me!!!!!!
In short, I am paying for the incompetence of UPS and non existence of information for the customers that come to use their service.
I will never ever use their service and I am still in dispute with the law office and definitely paying a visit to a better business bureau in NY or even a lawyer. On top of all the hours spent on the phone and losing sleep, I have been treated like a scam artist and a liar and that is what bothers me most.
Please share with me your experience with UOS if you have a similar one.
Erin from New York
Madmailinglady

Mcdonough, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2012

My relationship with UPS has come to a screeching halt. I have decided to make it my life's work to put a 'dent' in their empire. I may be one little person - but hey, I have a voice! And quite a few friends :) 80% of whom are agreeing to 'go fedex' after hearing my story and watching it unfold first hand. Granted, it is a simple story - but wrong all the same. I sent a vase to a customer - double boxed and heavily bubble wrapped. It arrived with a small crack and I started a claim. UPS picked it up and returned it to me (charging me yet another 9 mind you) and claiming it was improper packing. What I find interesting, was the complete lack of care and consideration taken for the vase after the 'event', my customer apparently did not take the time to repack it and even if they did UPS had to view it and reopen. So, I have to assume they were the last ones who had their little mitts on it. So I end up getting this beat up box with part of the packing obviously removed, inside was the smaller box with the vase literally thrown inside with the bubble wrap. They made no attempt to re-wrap AT ALL. So, instead of recieving the cracked vase (which was very old and beautiful mind you) I recieved 5000 pieces of glass and had to call to find out that they would not be reimbursing me. Sure, I filed a dispute - but do any of us want to take bets on how that will turn out? Another 'fun' UPS experience for you all to muster....in 2008 I dropped my package off at a local 'mom and pop' UPS chain that was called the UPS Store ironically. 2 weeks later I discovered that the package had not been delivered so I drove up there only to discover they were out of business. I looked through the doors and inside was my box!! I called the police and eventually got the box back, but happy I was not.....And finally, along with all of the overcharges billed to my account AFTER mailing the packages through the years I had one UPS driver literally go on vacation and leave my box in his truck!! Yes, this really happened. He of course felt terrible - but so did I! For those of you who do not know this - UPS actually 'sells' routes to regular folks who then become responsible for your items. It not only affects service, but your reimbursement should something happen. That is their idea of 'home delivery' and dont forget the suprise surcharges that are not added in upfront but billed to your account after the fact. I cannot stress enough to all who read this...give your business to Fedex or the post office if you want your business to be a sucess. One way or another they will get you and your little dog too!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 9 of9
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Florence Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Florence People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••