Newport School Brd Wastes Money

Posted in the Florence Forum

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Common Sense

Loveland, OH

#1 Sep 2, 2012
Newport Board members, Malone, Sheffel, Smith-Morrow, Scott, and Gregory approved $1,500 for 3 garbage cans ($500.00 each).

Sheffel defends spending, "The trash cans are being paid for from funds we receive for leasing out the parking lot at the intermediate school. We set them aside for misc board expenses, like support of the after prom and helping send the fbla team to Nationals, etc. So No tax money is going to the trash cans."

Middleton states Sheffel is correct.

Really?????
What a joke

Loveland, OH

#2 Sep 2, 2012
Looks like all five should look for employment in the Defense Department.
trash man

Independence, KY

#3 Sep 2, 2012
Why such expensive trash cans Missy?
Waste

Loveland, OH

#4 Sep 2, 2012
How much money does that lot generate? Nice slush fund.
In the know

Loveland, OH

#5 Sep 2, 2012
Cans were a dOnation to a neighborhood advocate. Gold lined I guess.
Can contribution

Loveland, OH

#6 Sep 2, 2012
If you would like to donate to the city of newport trash can fund please bring a $20 to park in school lot today. Don't let the sign that says it is for classroom supplies confuse you.
Truth Can

Independence, KY

#7 Sep 2, 2012
Middleton is right - the parking money is not tax money - but it not meant for trash cans either. Sounds like Middleton is just like Brandt - get those board members to spend district money on stupid expenditures THAT DO NOTHING TO EDUCATE OUR CHILDREN. I want to hear Missy and Middleton explain why this money needed to be spent instead of spending it on the other things the board spent it on in the past. Why trash cans? Wouldn't the building/facilities funds cover trash cans?
Mooooooo

Independence, KY

#8 Sep 2, 2012
Waste wrote:
How much money does that lot generate? Nice slush fund.
Why not get the records of this account from Tete? Unless he had a student helper shred them. They are public record. Ask for how all the money has been spent in the last year. Should be interesting to see if the board even knew all the times the money in this pot was being used.
Kyle

Hebron, KY

#9 Sep 2, 2012
Cassie,
Municipal trash cans are always in line with those prices. These aren't trash cans you can buy at Walmart. These are quality cans that should hold up to years of abuse. Installation is included in their purchases price. The cans will be emptied by Rumpke twice a week and Public Works crews will empty them more frequently if necessary. That means aside from the original cost of the can, there's no more spending.

Each of the cans will be outside the school buildings and will be primarily used by students/parents. You may still thinking it's a complete waste, but think about paying a janitor to clean up the lot/school grounds. If no trash cans are around, the vast majority of trash is going to be on the ground - a nuisance for neighbors and more work for the janitor (paid by taxes) on a daily basis.

If you've got an ax to grind with people on the school board, don't make it at the expense of Newport neighborhoods, please.
newport nonsense

Cincinnati, OH

#10 Sep 2, 2012
Anyone that thinks spending school generated money on garbage cans is nuts. Let the neighborhood group raise their own money for cans. All the money from the parking lot should be spent on the students! Way to go Newport Board.
Saratoga Joe

Loveland, OH

#11 Sep 2, 2012
Kyle wrote:
Cassie,
Municipal trash cans are always in line with those prices. These aren't trash cans you can buy at Walmart. These are quality cans that should hold up to years of abuse. Installation is included in their purchases price. The cans will be emptied by Rumpke twice a week and Public Works crews will empty them more frequently if necessary. That means aside from the original cost of the can, there's no more spending.
Each of the cans will be outside the school buildings and will be primarily used by students/parents. You may still thinking it's a complete waste, but think about paying a janitor to clean up the lot/school grounds. If no trash cans are around, the vast majority of trash is going to be on the ground - a nuisance for neighbors and more work for the janitor (paid by taxes) on a daily basis.
If you've got an ax to grind with people on the school board, don't make it at the expense of Newport neighborhoods, please.
the janitor at primary does sweep every day that I drop my kid off and there are three cans already around the property. I never seen trash there. kyle, why don't you get a real job. shame on the school board for wasting the kids money.
Think about the kids

Loveland, OH

#12 Sep 2, 2012
Mooooooo wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not get the records of this account from Tete? Unless he had a student helper shred them. They are public record. Ask for how all the money has been spent in the last year. Should be interesting to see if the board even knew all the times the money in this pot was being used.
They all have their own agendas except Julie. Please Miss Julie, don't let them waste precious edcuational funds on this kind of stuff.
Election

Loveland, OH

#13 Sep 2, 2012
Common Sense wrote:
Newport Board members, Malone, Sheffel, Smith-Morrow, Scott, and Gregory approved $1,500 for 3 garbage cans ($500.00 each).
Sheffel defends spending, "The trash cans are being paid for from funds we receive for leasing out the parking lot at the intermediate school. We set them aside for misc board expenses, like support of the after prom and helping send the fbla team to Nationals, etc. So No tax money is going to the trash cans."
Middleton states Sheffel is correct.
Really?????
Things in the Newport Schools will not change until you change the leaders. Vote them out!
Kyleee

Loveland, OH

#14 Sep 2, 2012
Kyle wrote:
Cassie,
Municipal, NOT SCHOOL BOARD.
1992Class

Hamilton, OH

#15 Sep 2, 2012
I thought the money was to be spent on the kids directly and went to the schools to decide, not just whatever the board felt like wasting. They waste enough money already. Let the kids get something like books for a change!
William Tell

Loveland, OH

#16 Sep 2, 2012
Mooooooo wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you mean shred them?
William Tell

Loveland, OH

#17 Sep 2, 2012
trash man wrote:
Why such expensive trash cans Missy?
For all the shredded documents?
Missy

Loveland, OH

#18 Sep 2, 2012
Sad. Glad I don't have to send my child to Newport.
Kyle

Hebron, KY

#19 Sep 2, 2012
Eleven responses from two IP address locations...interesting. Do you troll anonymously to give the illusion that more people share your views?

Why didn't you speak up at the meeting if you think it's wasteful spending? Do you also choose not to vote and then complain about who's in office?

You're complaining that the purchase of trash cans doesn't directly contribute to children's education. I can't disagree. What else doesn't explicitly contribute to educating children? How about grass? Why doesn't the High School just have a bunch of dirt around it? Isn't it frivolous to spend money growing grass and then more money to mow it down? We could probably save at least a few grand each year if we just left a dirt batch to grow weeds and then never bothered to cut them down.
Laughing at you

Loveland, OH

#20 Sep 2, 2012
Kyle wrote:
Eleven responses from two IP address locations...interesting. Do you troll anonymously to give the illusion that more people share your views?
Why didn't you speak up at the meeting if you think it's wasteful spending? Do you also choose not to vote and then complain about who's in office?
You're complaining that the purchase of trash cans doesn't directly contribute to children's education. I can't disagree. What else doesn't explicitly contribute to educating children? How about grass? Why doesn't the High School just have a bunch of dirt around it? Isn't it frivolous to spend money growing grass and then more money to mow it down? We could probably save at least a few grand each year if we just left a dirt batch to grow weeds and then never bothered to cut them down.
OK then, one wasteful act deserves another. I should have learned from the last board. Then again, it is one thing to pay to improve school board property and another to feed your pet project.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Florence Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Big spending underway 4 min Inda Noe 8
Where is the parking money 18 min Minions 19
What are they hiding? 22 min Add 5thousand 9
does anyone know a ruthie bole (Nov '12) 2 hr Unknown 4
Christianity... is a mental illness? 5 hr Sara Rose 1
The "New" Newport Swingers Club (Jan '12) 11 hr Fletcher Cox 118
newport ihop employees are felons and addicts Tue lucymarie 20
Florence Dating
Find my Match

Florence People Search