Boone Co. getting first soup kitchen

Jul 16, 2011 Full story: Cincinnati.com 31

First soup kitchen coming to Boone County Comments Cindy Schroeder How to help To volunteer or to make a donation, go to www.maryrosemission.org or send your donation to The Mary Rose Mission, P.O. Box 76533, Highland Heights, KY 41076-0533. For information, call 859-292-0300. More FLORENCE - The nonprofit Mary Rose Mission, which started as a ...

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rayne

Louisville, KY

#1 Jul 17, 2011
So, according to this article, this will serve children whose parents will not feed them...It says that school lunch is the only meal some of these children receive...Isn't it illegal to starve your children?...What are they using their food stamps for if they are refusing to feed their children, and why are we giving them food stamps if we know that they will not use them to feed their children?...This is too many kinds of messed up
Susan

Delmar, NY

#2 Jul 19, 2011
Rayne wrote:
So, according to this article, this will serve children whose parents will not feed them...It says that school lunch is the only meal some of these children receive...Isn't it illegal to starve your children?...What are they using their food stamps for if they are refusing to feed their children, and why are we giving them food stamps if we know that they will not use them to feed their children?...This is too many kinds of messed up
well at least the children will get some food
unwashed

Bellevue, KY

#3 Jul 19, 2011
I was in one of our local mom and pop convenient stores this week and witnessed several teens purchasing pop and junk food with food stamp cards. Why are we buying Mountain Dew for teenagers?
mea

Erlanger, KY

#4 Jul 19, 2011
unwashed wrote:
I was in one of our local mom and pop convenient stores this week and witnessed several teens purchasing pop and junk food with food stamp cards. Why are we buying Mountain Dew for teenagers?
Because sometimes Mountain Dew is the only thing they have drank in their lives, I've seen it in several baby bottles, sad!
unwashed

Bellevue, KY

#5 Jul 19, 2011
I was talking about teenage boys. They shouldn't have even had access to the cards for one and there should be a list of things you can buy with them and Mountain dew should not be on that list.
They should be able to purchase staples... eggs, flour, milk, juice, hamburger. They should not be allowed to buy junk food. This is pathetic and if you ever see someone purchasing these items you should speak up.
These people are taking advantage of being on the public dole.
NKYGirl22

Covington, KY

#6 Jul 19, 2011
I'm so excited a soup kitchen is coming to Florence! Some people in the area really need help. I've told my sorority sisters about the opening of the soup kitchen and they are super excited to volunteer!
LumpSum00

Covington, KY

#7 Jul 19, 2011
I know what you mean. I shop at a grocery store in NKY and I see people my age buying $4.99 Beef Jerky and Monster Energy drinks with their food stamps just because they are bored and want a snack. I think the food stamp program is a joke and I think it needs to be evaluated. What gets me frustrated is when they have their $400 worth of junk food on their foodstamps and they have a separate transaction of beer and ciggarettes and their new coach purse! I feel sorry for the kids. Thank god there are programs to aid children.

True Story. I saw a grown women buying $800 worth of Crab Legs and Prime Rib during 4th of July Weekend. What do you think she was going to do with $800 worth of expensive meat?
unwashed wrote:
I was talking about teenage boys. They shouldn't have even had access to the cards for one and there should be a list of things you can buy with them and Mountain dew should not be on that list.
They should be able to purchase staples... eggs, flour, milk, juice, hamburger. They should not be allowed to buy junk food. This is pathetic and if you ever see someone purchasing these items you should speak up.
These people are taking advantage of being on the public dole.
facts

Oklahoma City, OK

#8 Jul 20, 2011
People on the public dole usually are there because of the result of generations of bad choices and bad decisions. Now that you give them some food stamps, you expect them to suddenly start making good choices?
Philanthropy work better

Loveland, OH

#9 Jul 21, 2011
When philanthropic organizations look for good ways to give to a community, they usually require the key element; which is referred to as “sustainment.” This means that money perpetuates itself farther than the original dollars invested. An example of sustainment might be paying tuition for a med student so that after graduation they must serve as a doctor for a specified period of time; hence giving back for the original assistance which sustains the money past its original state. Soup kitchens in general; while on the surface looks like a great way to give to a community, is a short-term answer, but once the food is gone, so is the assistance and the idea of helping. Therefore soup kitchens dose not sustain them selves and do not achieve this primary goal. When funds are ultimately exhausted and they will be. This makes this idea a bad investment. To be clear, helping children is of course a good thing, but wasting dollars in this way which will ultimately be exhausted is not. So, philanthropic ideas need to get past the feel good surface appearance and push themselves to a future leverage point so that they can continue to serve or sustain themselves so that “help” continues to provide communal assistance in the long-term, not just the short-term appearance of being helpful. Whom ever is giving funding for this project, I commend you for helping those children, but consider the above next time you are looking at helping others so that your dollars can do even more.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#10 Jul 21, 2011
Philanthropy work better wrote:
When philanthropic organizations look for good ways to give to a community, they usually require the key element; which is referred to as “sustainment.” This means that money perpetuates itself farther than the original dollars invested. An example of sustainment might be paying tuition for a med student so that after graduation they must serve as a doctor for a specified period of time; hence giving back for the original assistance which sustains the money past its original state. Soup kitchens in general; while on the surface looks like a great way to give to a community, is a short-term answer, but once the food is gone, so is the assistance and the idea of helping. Therefore soup kitchens dose not sustain them selves and do not achieve this primary goal. When funds are ultimately exhausted and they will be. This makes this idea a bad investment. To be clear, helping children is of course a good thing, but wasting dollars in this way which will ultimately be exhausted is not. So, philanthropic ideas need to get past the feel good surface appearance and push themselves to a future leverage point so that they can continue to serve or sustain themselves so that “help” continues to provide communal assistance in the long-term, not just the short-term appearance of being helpful. Whom ever is giving funding for this project, I commend you for helping those children, but consider the above next time you are looking at helping others so that your dollars can do even more.
I agree in part. Yes we need to invest in long term solutions such as job training, educational outreach programs ect, but in the mean time there are children and families going hungry.
I don't agree that the funds run out because with ongoing fundraising efforts new donors step in.
Here in Newport we have the Henry Hosea House and it has been feeding children and adults for over 20 years now.
Any effective solutions encompass the immediate need as well as long term goals.
welfare reform

Cincinnati, OH

#11 Jul 21, 2011
Paul Templeton wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree in part. Yes we need to invest in long term solutions such as job training, educational outreach programs ect, but in the mean time there are children and families going hungry.
I don't agree that the funds run out because with ongoing fundraising efforts new donors step in.
Here in Newport we have the Henry Hosea House and it has been feeding children and adults for over 20 years now.
Any effective solutions encompass the immediate need as well as long term goals.
I would bet that 95% of the people that eat at the Hosea House are on food stamps, so what do they do with the food stamps. Sell them of course, so my vote is revamp the whole system, only allow staples to be bought with food stamps, and let them PAY for their school lunches with food stamps.
Amanda

Loveland, OH

#12 Jul 26, 2011
Rayne wrote:
So, according to this article, this will serve children whose parents will not feed them...It says that school lunch is the only meal some of these children receive...Isn't it illegal to starve your children?...What are they using their food stamps for if they are refusing to feed their children, and why are we giving them food stamps if we know that they will not use them to feed their children?...This is too many kinds of messed up
It's not that all those parents aren't feeding their children, more often than not there is not enough money or food stamps to last the whole month. Don't always presume that everyone is the same.
Drug free

AOL

#13 Jul 27, 2011
Amanda wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not that all those parents aren't feeding their children, more often than not there is not enough money or food stamps to last the whole month. Don't always presume that everyone is the same.
You tell them amanda some people don't understand til they are in that spot. Stop being judgemental pick up the bible read luke section where it talks about greed in there and how our God feels about that.
facts

Oklahoma City, OK

#14 Jul 28, 2011
if any of them momma have big tittay and not enough food stamps I might be able to help em
Pollylop

Cincinnati, OH

#15 Jul 28, 2011
Only in the world of the Tea Parties can a positive posting about a food kitchen and helping others turn into a series of right-wing rants attacking people who are on food stamps.
Concerned citizen

Erlanger, KY

#16 Jul 28, 2011
Rayne wrote:
So, according to this article, this will serve children whose parents will not feed them...It says that school lunch is the only meal some of these children receive...Isn't it illegal to starve your children?...What are they using their food stamps for if they are refusing to feed their children, and why are we giving them food stamps if we know that they will not use them to feed their children?...This is too many kinds of messed up
Well Duh... They have to sell them to buy pot and oh yea They buy organic (expensive) and t bones for themselves with whats left.. So ya got take care of the kids, They need it.
Philanthropy work better

Loveland, OH

#17 Jul 29, 2011
Is this supposed to be some new revelation or insight? If they were taking care of the kids, why would we be having this discussion in the first place, well duh.. Answers or solutions would be nice and might even spark a good idea for helping. Pointing out the obvious does neither help nor educate. Guess you just want us to know you get it or something?
Philanthropy work better

Loveland, OH

#18 Jul 29, 2011
Perhaps educational programs for parents so that they take care of their own children would be a better way to achieve the same goals and sustain dollars invested. See, these are the kinds of suggestions that invoke change and stimulate positive feedback, not well duh.
welfare reform

Cincinnati, OH

#19 Aug 1, 2011
Let them use their food stamps at the soup kitchen to pay for their meals--then the soup kitchen can restock.
Philanthropy work better

Loveland, OH

#20 Aug 5, 2011
And here is another brilliant comment written without reason. If they had food stamps to begin with, they would not be at the soup kitchen, ya think?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Florence Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Feds indict eight in Kentucky motorcycle chop s... (Aug '11) 6 hr Alan 132
Big spending underway 7 hr moneywasters 12
Pat Walsh, Attorney 8 hr Family 5
Is Samantha... is Heaven? 9 hr In Jesus name amen 5
Pastor Tommy Bates is the truth! 10 hr anointedone 3
Ludlow police chief and officer quit 14 hr Resident 1
Deputy Tyler "Barney Fife" Brockman - Coward of... (May '14) 20 hr Real time 61
Florence Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Florence People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Florence News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Florence

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:00 am PST

Bleacher Report 6:00AM
Preview, Prediction for Bengals vs. Broncos
Bleacher Report 8:00 AM
NFL Power Rankings Week 17: Predicting Post-Monday Night Football Standings
NBC Sports10:10 AM
Why does Cincinnati shrink in the spotlight?
NBC Sports10:31 AM
Cowboys' collapse never occurred
Bleacher Report 1:31 PM
Allen (Knee) to Get MRI; Considered Day-to-Day