Comments
21 - 40 of 87 Comments Last updated Apr 5, 2014
Karen

Newport, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Apr 17, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

Dr Gary Shearer wrote:
Dr. Gary Shearer-does anyone have anything to say about this so-called Dr.? I hear that he is the one trying to open a methadone clinic in Latonia!! His office in Florence is already filled with Drug-Addicts including one of my family members that he got hooked on methadone!!!! Business must be booming for him-he will get rich off a whole new bunch of addicts!!! Please everyone share your stories about this monster!!!
My mother was a patient of his, first thing he did....prescrbed her oxycotin. Later on he added some sort of a pain patch along with the pills. She was a heart and lung patient, had absolutely no business giving her anything like that...Dr. Gary Shearer said he was only treating her for COPD....She passed away in 2005 at the age of 73....complications from drug overdose....meds prescribed by this awful man.
Dreamer

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Apr 17, 2012
 
FLORENCE - A Florence doctor's office is in the middle of a federal investigation.

FBI and DEA agents showed up at Dr. Gary Shearer's office on Turfway Road Tuesday morning.

Agents took boxes filled with medical records and loaded them into a U-Haul truck. Authorities also told Dr. Shearer and his staff to go home for the day.

Officials have not released any other information at this time.

Read more: http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/FBI-DEA-raid-NKy...
joanie

Erlanger, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Apr 17, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Lets just be glad that the DEA has finally listened. I know the what it is like to be addicted to opiates and what it is like to get off of them. Thank God, someone payed attention to all of us. If he has not done anything wrong, he will be fine, if not I guess that will be up to our goverment.
Stupid People

Amelia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Apr 17, 2012
 

Judged:

5

3

2

As far as doctor Shearer, he is a great doctor! My father goes to him and He found out that he had Copd of the lungs after several doctors could not find nothing wrong with him with several chest x rays, then doctor Shearer found it and showed him how to deal with it on a day to day basis, and the only thing he gave him was an inhaler!! People need to quit blaming doctors for someones drug problem..Doctors have to many patients to BABYSIT their patients. And also if the doctor did catch drug abuse and would not see you anymore they would find away to get them either through another doc or off the streets, drug abusers go to all extents to get their fix. So don't blame doctors blame the drug user,its their responsibility to get off drugs!!!
your dull

Loveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#27
Apr 17, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Stupid People wrote:
As far as doctor Shearer, he is a great doctor! My father goes to him and He found out that he had Copd of the lungs after several doctors could not find nothing wrong with him with several chest x rays, then doctor Shearer found it and showed him how to deal with it on a day to day basis, and the only thing he gave him was an inhaler!! People need to quit blaming doctors for someones drug problem..Doctors have to many patients to BABYSIT their patients. And also if the doctor did catch drug abuse and would not see you anymore they would find away to get them either through another doc or off the streets, drug abusers go to all extents to get their fix. So don't blame doctors blame the drug user,its their responsibility to get off drugs!!!
okay,are you a patient of dr. shears? i wouldn't admit it either.
I Am

Ft Mitchell, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#28
Apr 18, 2012
 

Judged:

5

2

2

A Patient of Dr. Shearer. He is a great doctor. He takes his time with his patients, listens to them and try to assist in helping to heal them. He doesn't just prescribe narcotics. He prescribes blood pressure meds, diabetes meds etc. He performs or orders proper test to find out the problem you are having. If you are in pain for chronic illness yes he will try to help. Has any one dealt with chronic pain. I don't wish that on anyone. He goes by the book. He performs random drug test,pill counts etc. If you fail at these your are released from the office. I take my medications everyday as prescribed. If I didn't I wouldn't be even able to walk. I've had 4 back surgeries that have failed. There is nothing else they can do, exxcept provide some relief. Granted, I do think he over booked his appointments. I pray that they see he did things by the book and they look foolish. As far as other people abusing the meds that is not the Dr. fault. He is trying to help he can not watch everyone 24hours a day. Also when I couldn't afford my diabetic medicine, he helped with that too by giving me enough samples to last me the month. Same thing for my depression meds. He actually is the only doctor I have ever had, that ran the test he did. Sat and listened. Found out somethings about me that other doctors seemed to ignore. I have kidney issues as well because of my diabetes. No other Dr. even had that checked. I'm wondering how many of these hater post are actually previous patients that were released for not following the rules?
houraway

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
Apr 20, 2012
 

Judged:

3

1

1

I also was a patient who was seen in Dr. Shearers office. I was actually a patient of one of the other docs, but saw Dr. Shearer on mant occasiona, and didn't have any problems with him. I have a bad disc in my back and he requested many tests to be done, and never gave me pain pills. He tried to refer me to therapy and other techniques to get some relief from the pain. Even thougj I didn't particularly like him, he does not FEED people drugs. Unless you have been his patient you don't personally know.
add

Shepherdsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#31
May 11, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

it is a disease, it is not a choice and used with the correct dosage, you will have a better life than being hooked on pain pills, herion, etc.. you can hold down a job better, have a better relationship, you can go to all the places you couldnt before cause you was always too busy looking for your "next fix". the methodone clinics will bring crime down dramatically because nobody will be out stealing for their next high, which means the court systems and jails will have a decrease in inmates. when it is used as prescribed it is an excellent choice, and its not like u have 2 be on it forever, u can be off of it completely, when the time is right for you. everyone is different.
aREALdisease

Erlanger, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#32
Jun 4, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Don't tell me addiction is a disease. That is BS. It is simple lack of self control because you can't get a hold of yourself. I personally have Multiple Sclerosis...now THAT is a real F-ing disease that requires me to take shots 3X a week and I will NEVER "recover" or "manage" that as you claim with your poor cry baby "addiction" crap. Get over it. I WISH that I could skip into some clinic or therapy session and have MY diease go away, but that will NEVER happen. So don't look at me for sympathy....you had a choice in your problem, I wasn't given a choice.
informed

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#33
Jul 11, 2012
 

Judged:

5

5

2

SO... TO START OFF. i THINK MOST OF THE PEOPLE RESPONDING ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD NEED TO DO A LITTLE RESEARCH BEFORE SPEAKING. UNTIL YOU HAVE A 4 YEAR DEGREE IN BIOLOGY/CHEMISTRY FOLLOWED BY ATTENDING MEDICAL SCHOOL YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO MAKE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS. PAIN IS LEGITIMATE IN A VERY LARGE NUMBER OF PATIENTS TAKING PAIN MEDS. SOME PEOPLE HAVE CHRONIC PAIN DUE TO ILLNESS OR INJURY WHICH REQUIRE CONSTANT MONITORING AS WELL AS TREATMENT. UNLESS YOU HAVE A MAGIC EASY BUTTON TO CURE PATIENTS ISSUES THEN THE BEST PRACTICE WOULD BE TO SHUT UP. THE REASON THAT PEOPLE OD AND DIE IS BECAUSE THEY MAKE A CHOICE THAT THEY WANT TO USE PRESCRIBED DRUGS TO GET HIGH. THIS IN MOST CASES IS NOT THE INTENT OF THE DOCTOR, BUT THE INTENT OF THE PATIENT. I CAN TELL YOU FROM KNOWING SEVERAL OF THIS DOCTORS PATIENTS AND THEIR HISTORY THAT WHAT IS PRESCRIBED FOR THEM IS LEGITIMATE, AND GUESS WHAT THEY ARE PRESCRIBED TO PAIN MEDS, BUT NEED THEM FOR PAIN. THE SIMPLE FACT OF THE MATTER IS MOST PEOPLE TAKING PAIN MEDS ARE NOT ADDICTS FOR A HIGH OR CRIMINALS. IN FACT PEOPLE PRESCRIBED TO LEGAL DRUGS TO MANAGE PAIN ARE LESS LIKELY TO COMMIT CRIMES, BECAUSE EVEN IF THEY ARE SEEKING A HIGH THEY DONT NEED TO DO PAY OUTRAGEOUS PRICES FOR STREET DRUGS, AND WORRY ABOUT COMMITTING FELONIES IN THE PROCESS. ADDICTS HOWEVER ARE NORMALLY IDENTIFIED ON THEIR MEDICAL RECORDS AS DEMONSTRATING DRUG SEEKING BEHAVIOR AND TREATED ACCORDINGLY. THAT IS WHY FOR THE UNINFORMED POSTING HERE THAT SUBOXONE AND SUBUTEX ARE PRESCRIBED. DRUGS FOR PAIN SHOULD NEVER BE MIXED W/O CONSULTING A DOCTOR DUE TO THE EXTREME SIDE EFFECTS THAT CAN BE CAUSED. JUST BECAUSE A FEW IGNORANT PEOPLE DID SOMETHING STUPID AND IT COST THEM THEIR LIVES DOES NOT MEAN YOU SHOULD GENERALIZE EVERYONE TAKING PAIN MEDS OR ALL DOCTORS THAT PRESCRIBE THEM. DOCTORS LOSE PATIENTS IT IS TRAGIC, BUT NOT THEIR FAULT IF THE PATIENT IS DOING *****ANYTHING***** DIFFERENT THEN THEY ARE TOLD AND UNFORTUNATELY EVEN WHEN THEY ARE DOING EXACTLY AS TOLD. PART OF LIFE IS DEATH, AND IF YOU WANT TO BLAME DOCTORS EVERY TIME SOMEONE DIES THEN I CANT WAIT TO SEE THE LOOK ON YOUR FACE WHEN YOU NEED MEDICAL TREATMENT, BUT THE DOCTOR CANT HELP DUE TO THE IDIOTIC OUTCRY OF THE UNINFORMED.
just me

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#34
Jul 12, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

houraway wrote:
I also was a patient who was seen in Dr. Shearers office. I was actually a patient of one of the other docs, but saw Dr. Shearer on mant occasiona, and didn't have any problems with him. I have a bad disc in my back and he requested many tests to be done, and never gave me pain pills. He tried to refer me to therapy and other techniques to get some relief from the pain. Even thougj I didn't particularly like him, he does not FEED people drugs. Unless you have been his patient you don't personally know.
AMEN to that as i am a patient of Dr Shearer's.
No matter the issue

Loveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#35
Jul 13, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

When our government attempts to help its citizens, we should all be thankful, for governing is defined as the division of our collective resources. The problem here is that only those in need get or see these particular benefits from it directly, which makes others upset and conclude this is something we can do without. However, if there is no outlet to relieve societal "pressure" like clinics, these folks will simply seek other solutions. So now when they do, things like breaking into houses, robbery, and the like, we all scream at government to do something about it. Meaning we turn to the old solutions of arrests and incarcerations. Nothing is free and that old solution costs way more than programs like this that seeks to rehabilitate and fix, not punish. Punishment may feel good to some, but these folks ultimately get released back into society, usually worse than when they started. Any governmental solution should be holistic and seek to change for the better any issue, meaning that after intervention is done, that person is no longer a continuing factor in this equation. So, my point is a choice between either clinics; which will hopefully produce a reduction in usage, or jail which has proven to produce “Among drug offenders, the rate of reconviction increased significantly, going from 35.3% in 1983 to 47.0% in 1994.” Another current study said:“No other treatment for opiate addiction as is successful as methadone maintenance, resulting in a 92% reduction in heroin use when treatment is appropriately done.” Therefore if only 56.7% of clinic participants are successful over jail, we still save millions and lives and are spending half as much. That may sound too good, but any statistics that demonstrates any step in the right direction [i.e., help individuals, help society, and reduce costs] is good. What more can we ask from our government, but to keep trying things, any things, that work better or just keep spending these same dollars on the old way with little or no better results. So no matter the issue, tax dollars are being spent so why not spend less for better results? The math speaks for itself on this issue don't you think? And, I am quite sure somebody took these numbers into account before suggesting we provide methadone to our citizens as a solution to this issue.
oc matthers

Herndon, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#36
Sep 4, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

your a piece of shit im addicted to opiates an i dont steal to get my FIX i have a full time job an work my ass off i got hooked on heroin when i was 12 cause my father gave it too me i dident know i was young an i looked up to my father it took me a long time to realize how much of a piece of shit he was ive been on suboxone for 6 months now and it saved my life not everyone who has an addiction is a scum bag im shure you have an addiction an you like to put people down to make yourself feel better your the scum bag
agree1

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#37
Sep 25, 2012
 

Judged:

3

1

1

I agree. I've. Been seeing this Dr. For 20 years. . . .He is a good Dr. Not his fault the patients can't READ DIRRECTIONS ON THE BOTTLE. . .
Sean

Covington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38
Sep 25, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Gary has been my doc for over 20 years. He is the most dedicated doctor I have ever met. I do not take methedone or heroin, but he did help me with my drinking problem. He works six days a week, twelve hours a day so it is not about the money with him.
I just found out the feds yanked his license. There is a major shortage of docs around here and Big Brother should stay out of medicine, it is NOT in the constitution. He should not suffer because of the actions of his patients. People should be responsible for themselves. Hell, the drugs should all be legal anyway. The only reason they are not is so corporations can overcharge and the corrupt government, that is controlled by the corporations, can tax.
Sean

Covington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#39
Sep 25, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

No matter the issue wrote:
When our government attempts to help its citizens, we should all be thankful, for governing is defined as the division of our collective resources. The problem here is that only those in need get or see these particular benefits from it directly, which makes others upset and conclude this is something we can do without. However, if there is no outlet to relieve societal "pressure" like clinics, these folks will simply seek other solutions. So now when they do, things like breaking into houses, robbery, and the like, we all scream at government to do something about it. Meaning we turn to the old solutions of arrests and incarcerations. Nothing is free and that old solution costs way more than programs like this that seeks to rehabilitate and fix, not punish. Punishment may feel good to some, but these folks ultimately get released back into society, usually worse than when they started. Any governmental solution should be holistic and seek to change for the better any issue, meaning that after intervention is done, that person is no longer a continuing factor in this equation. So, my point is a choice between either clinics; which will hopefully produce a reduction in usage, or jail which has proven to produce “Among drug offenders, the rate of reconviction increased significantly, going from 35.3% in 1983 to 47.0% in 1994.” Another current study said:“No other treatment for opiate addiction as is successful as methadone maintenance, resulting in a 92% reduction in heroin use when treatment is appropriately done.” Therefore if only 56.7% of clinic participants are successful over jail, we still save millions and lives and are spending half as much. That may sound too good, but any statistics that demonstrates any step in the right direction [i.e., help individuals, help society, and reduce costs] is good. What more can we ask from our government, but to keep trying things, any things, that work better or just keep spending these same dollars on the old way with little or no better results. So no matter the issue, tax dollars are being spent so why not spend less for better results? The math speaks for itself on this issue don't you think? And, I am quite sure somebody took these numbers into account before suggesting we provide methadone to our citizens as a solution to this issue.
"for governing is defined as the division of our collective resources"

Where do you live? That is not in the US or KY constitution. Maybe the Communist Manifesto. This country is built on individual sovereignty NOT collectivism. I vomit your ideology from my mouth.
Wilson

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#40
Sep 27, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Sean wrote:
Gary has been my doc for over 20 years. He is the most dedicated doctor I have ever met. I do not take methedone or heroin, but he did help me with my drinking problem. He works six days a week, twelve hours a day so it is not about the money with him.
I just found out the feds yanked his license. There is a major shortage of docs around here and Big Brother should stay out of medicine, it is NOT in the constitution. He should not suffer because of the actions of his patients. People should be responsible for themselves. Hell, the drugs should all be legal anyway. The only reason they are not is so corporations can overcharge and the corrupt government, that is controlled by the corporations, can tax.
I agree, I would also add that Dr. Shearer does follow a pain management program that is regulated by the same government that is screwing with him. I was under his supervision and part of the program till Jan 12. I had to provide urine samples and sign a contract with Dr. Shearer stating that I would not misuse my medication in any way! I had multiple scans and MRI's after falling off a roof. I am college educated and have always worked and still do. I've since relocated to South Carolina and have to do the same type of program in order to generate an income for my family. Which means following the rules in order for my new Dr. To continue helping me. Dr. Shearer helped me and followed the rules, at least in my case! A lot more people, other than the 15 that didn't follow the rules, will suffer if the state is successful in the revocation of his license. Very tragic indeed!
Excuse me

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41
Sep 27, 2012
 

Judged:

4

2

2

Lots of Dr.'s lose 15 patients overtime. That's not unusual. I could name several Dr.'s in NKY, who suck, that aren't front page news. Those that died abused their prescriptions, don't blame the Dr., Blame yourself...6 ft under. You put yourself there.

Here come the lawsuits from the poor pitiful family members who only care about cashing in $$$$$$$$$$
Oh Please

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#42
Sep 27, 2012
 

Judged:

4

2

1

aREALdisease wrote:
Don't tell me addiction is a disease. That is BS. It is simple lack of self control because you can't get a hold of yourself. I personally have Multiple Sclerosis...now THAT is a real F-ing disease that requires me to take shots 3X a week and I will NEVER "recover" or "manage" that as you claim with your poor cry baby "addiction" crap. Get over it. I WISH that I could skip into some clinic or therapy session and have MY diease go away, but that will NEVER happen. So don't look at me for sympathy....you had a choice in your problem, I wasn't given a choice.
Addiction is a disease. Sorry about your MS. You Get over it!! You are so bitter. Try Prayer.
Pain Rules My Life

Erlanger, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43
Sep 27, 2012
 

Judged:

4

3

2

I am 58 yeas old. Never done drugs, never been in trouble. I have a disease called Rheumatoid Arthritis and Chronic Plantar Faciaitis along with bad knees and hips to the bone!! I can tell you about pain!! It NEVER stops! I can't walk. And I am a patient Dr. Shearer. I don't believe a word of you people...blaming him for death! Can you say for 100% that your loved one wasn't trying something else with his/her medications. I have been there for 20 years, and everything I faced in that office was very strict!!! I had pill counts, urine tests and I done everything BY THE BOOK! YES...I will pat my own back!! I want to live and get better, not have a high or whatever you call it! But the pain was and still is unbearable. 24/7 I have pain. Yes, pain meds made the pain liveable! But it is up to the patient NOT to take more than is described. Take what you are prescribed and learn to do things that help also.
Dr Shearer I am so sorry that you are going through this mess. I thought you were a good
Doctor. Seems to me that some people are looking for SOMEBODY ELSE to blame and you fit the bill.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Florence Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Florence Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Florence People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Florence News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Florence
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••