Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,648

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#87175 Mar 9, 2013
Kentucky wrote:
Have to confess, I'm a bird thread troll. Been reading this site for awhile. Most of the posts are interesting. Seems you folks have a kindred spirit.
Worked hard all week . Thinking about a baked chicken sandwich on a seedless bun (seeds go to birds) and a hot bowl of Tomato soup before
I retire to bed.:)
It is said that confession is good for the soul, but I think that some things are better left unsaid or to one's imagination. LOL Besides, none of us are perfect and the only ONE that ever was perfect got hung on a cross. We don't even hang the trolls but just invite them to come join the party. LOL So come on back anytime. Menu suggestions are always welcome. I am looking forward to the time that I can have a baked chicken sandwich with mayo, lettuce, and a slice of real homegrown tomato and not that pinkish-white stuff from the stores.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#87177 Mar 9, 2013
Another beautiful day! I hope the birds are happy. I am working an 8am to 5pm today. So I filled the seeds before I leave.:)

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#87178 Mar 9, 2013
Misty eyed wrote:
<quoted text> Wonderful. You know older people most often get taken for granted. Young folks forget that life was really rough 40-50 years ago. Even in the 60s and 70s wages were extremely low in some employment. I remember Grandpa and Dad working for a measly few dollars a week working as track men on the railroad.Fortunately, kind folks like AW, you really do help those who need it.
Elderly people are taken advantage of much to often. I think it's great that AW takes time to help people in need, if everyone did there would be alot less pain in the world.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#87179 Mar 9, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Taking a break while my pizza is in the oven. I am now on fixed income too and that is why you don't see me out as much as I once went when I was still working. But I am blessed to be alive and have the ability to help others. My retirement pays my bills, but there is none left for "high times", but if I earned more the IRS would just want it. But they can't drink my coffee and eat my sandwich. LOL (or have some of the cake and pie that I get when I mow some old lady's lawn)
I think that if one believes in the hereafter, the main question that will be asked is "How Did You Treat Others". I don't think it will matter all that much if you had an occasional beer or even lost your temper a few times as long as you can say "I generally did my best". I think most church "rules" are just man made anyways to maintain social conformity and have absolutely nothing to do with Worshipping the Creator and respecting HIS creations. time to check the pizza.
I agree with you 100%. I'll check back in about 8 hours. Sorry so long between comments but have a lot to do.
So true

Morgantown, KY

#87180 Mar 9, 2013
Great morn, I posted early but it is gone.... So nice out.. Goin to ride my horse all day. Goin to let all the cares of the past week ride off on the trail., great one y'all....
So true

Morgantown, KY

#87181 Mar 9, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
It is said that confession is good for the soul, but I think that some things are better left unsaid or to one's imagination. LOL Besides, none of us are perfect and the only ONE that ever was perfect got hung on a cross. We don't even hang the trolls but just invite them to come join the party. LOL So come on back anytime. Menu suggestions are always welcome. I am looking forward to the time that I can have a baked chicken sandwich with mayo, lettuce, and a slice of real homegrown tomato and not that pinkish-white stuff from the stores.
u are king n my book... Great how u help the older.. U r a hero from my childhood n my days

Since: Jul 12

Houston, TX

#87182 Mar 9, 2013
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
There you aree!!! Good to see you, and your corny jokes put a smile on my face. Keep the humor going, it's good for the soul.
Corny? Moi? Ha-ha, thanks Oglala, I'm glad you enjoy them. I'll admit that some of them could be better, though! Have a wonderful day, my friend!

Since: Jul 12

Houston, TX

#87183 Mar 9, 2013
Rapidfire wrote:
<quoted text> I believe they have ; planet earth !
You just may be on to something, there, RF! Have a great day, my friend!
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87185 Mar 9, 2013
Good morning bird threaders. I hope you all have been enjoying our beautiful Kentucky weather. I certainly have.

I have all my party snacks together and leaving in an hour to go to a BIG BLUE party. Game at noon, last home game, FLORIDA. If the Cats can't win this one and take the SEC we may not even get to the big dance. Last year we counted on being the CHAMPS, and we were, and this year we are hoping to make the tournament. It really sucks for UK fans. However, we don't ride the wagon just when they are winning, we BLEED BLUE.

I am finished with breakfast dishes, laundry, dusting, etc..fed the birds some banana nut bread, HB buns, stale bread and fresh bird seeds. I love the additional birds showing up everyday. Spring is here. Don't forget to SPRING your clocks forward. lol

I wish I would have caught you on last night. Too late when I got home to even open the laptop. Sorry I missed OJG. Happy to see her posts though.

Seen this video and cracked up, enjoy:

Listen up,'DWTS': These dogs probably dance better than Andy Dick

THE NOW video Dogs around the globe have been entertaining their owners and anyone else who'll stop long enough to watch them since well, since dogs have existed. How else do you think they earned their "man's best friend" reputation? We're not sure if some special canines have always had the ability to dance or if YouTube has magically helped create this growing phenomenon. Either way, we couldn't be more grateful for these hypnotizing videos of our favorite four-legged friends trotting around on just two. Merengue time!

http://now.msn.com/dogs-dancing-video-supercu...
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87186 Mar 9, 2013
For OJG:

Photos: Locusts plague Holy Land

Locusts that recently arrived from Egypt cling to a tree in Kmehin, Israel, on Wednesday, March 6. Tens of millions of locusts have overtaken Egyptian desert land in the past few days and are heading to Israel and Jordan, according the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization. The last time Israel experienced a major infestation was in 2004.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/06/middleeast/gall...

Those things are creepy.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87187 Mar 9, 2013
Springbreak anyone? lol

Florida beaches on high alert for shark migration
Thousands of sharks on their annual migration north have closed beaches along the southern Florida coast.

Beaches along the southern coast of Florida are on high alert after sharks were spotted near shore as part of their annual migration.
Many beaches had red flags flying on Thursday morning to alert people, but some beaches had reopened.

Sharks were spotted near three beaches in Palm Beach County on Wednesday, but they had reopened on Thursday morning, The Palm Beach Post reported. However, Steve Kaes, a lifeguard training officer, told the paper that he couldn't guarantee that the beaches would remain open throughout the day. If someone spotted a shark, swimmers would be asked to come out of the water, he said.

Sky News reported that many South Florida beaches were shut down after thousands of migrating sharks were spotted near shore.

"Tens of thousands of the predators" were coming to shore and toward swimmers during their annual migration north, according to ABC News.

Some students on spring break are opting to stay out of the water altogether, according to ABC News.
Pictures taken by Jeffrey Langlois of the Palm Beach Daily News show the sharks, mostly blacktip and spinner sharks, coming close to the shore.

"We saw something moving in the water and everybody was saying,'oh shark,'" one witness in Palm Beach told ABC News.

About 50 to 60 sharks were spotted near the shore in Palm Beach on Tuesday.

Lifeguards in Palm Beach told ABC News that the sharks for the most part don't disturb the beaches.
"We don't have a sandbar. A lot of times when we have a sandbar the sharks stay off of the shore a little further," Craig Pollack, a lifeguard supervisor in Palm Beach, told ABC News.
Researchers at Florida Atlantic University say they have counted around 15,000 sharks, most of them less than 200 yards from shore.

Shark expert George H. Burgess told The Post that overcast skies made it more difficult to spot them

http://news.msn.com/us/florida-beaches-on-hig...

Sinkholes and sharks...oh my! lol
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87188 Mar 9, 2013
Forgot to add this one. I bet Hempburn is teaching biscuit to do all these things too. An amazing dog:

Incredibly Smart Little Dog Does the Cutest Tricks

Whether its saying prayers, playing the piano or helping out around the house, this dog can pretty much do any trick! Watch as this adorable puppy does some pretty amazing things, it's impressive!

http://www.godvine.com/Incredibly-Smart-Littl...
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87189 Mar 9, 2013
BIRD update:

Raptor Resource Project
&#8206;~'Tis The Season For Eggs, and More Eggs ~

While our wildlife Mom's work on controlling egg temperatures, we hope Mother Nature works on controlling outdoor temperatures. We're looking forward to a great 2013 nesting season ahead. Here's some general news and expected hatch dates at some of our nests:

Eaglecrest Wildlife:
On Monday, March 4th, Mother Barn Owl, Tess, laid her 7th egg, and the first hatch is expected about March 23rd. Wilma the Canada Goose also laid her 7th egg on March 4th, and is now incubating her eggs full time. Hatching is expected about March 31st, and all eggs will usually hatch in the same day. We're still watching the red-tailed hawks at Eaglecrest for eggs, and they have been bringing in soft nesting materials and working on the West nest.

Valmont Great Horned Owls:
Snowflake is doing a great job of incubating her three eggs and Dan is often seen in the nestbox with her, and brings her food often. The first egg was laid February 12th, and the first hatch is estimated to be about March 18th.

Fort St. Vrain Bald Eagles:
Mom and Dad are taking turns incubating their three eggs and have had some heavy snow to deal with while doing so. The first egg was laid on February 17th, and the first hatch is estimated to be about March 26th.

Great Spirit Bluff Peregrine Falcons:
Falcons have been spotted in and around the nest box and area, and we are hoping that Michelle and Travis return again this year. Nesting should begin closer to the end of March for the Peregrine falcons there. Last year Michelle laid the first egg on March 26th and the first hatch was May 3rd.

Decorah Bald Eagles:
While we have no waying of knowing for sure, we believe that Mom laid her first egg on February 19th, and the first hatch would be expected about March 24th.

Missouri Turkey Vultures:
We expect to see the turkey vultures return to the barn loft closer to the end of March. Last year the first egg was laid on May 9th, and the first hatch was on June 19th.

Fort St. Vrain Great Horned Owls:
There have been sightings of an owl in the nestbox, but no eggs yet.

For an in depth history of egg laying and hatching from previous years, you can always refer to our Main Website, and click on the Nesting Calendar in the middle of the page which is this link: http://www.raptorresource.org/calendar/index....
You can select any date from any year (enter mm/01/yyyy and hit go), and the nesting calendar will show you what happened during that month of any year you select.

This is only a portion of what is yet to come from all of the nests we monitor, stay tuned!

To view any of our nest cams, click on this link, and then select any nest cam from the left side of the page, and then click on that link:

http://www.farmyou.com/falcon_cams/index.html
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87190 Mar 9, 2013
Thought I would check in and see if anyone was posting before I leave. Just came back in from getting some stuff out of the car before I leave to watch UK.

They are chemspraying up a storm in this area. Betty might see them in her area. Possibly lala too. Beautiful blue sky ruined by zig zagging white streaks spreading out in the sky. By the time tip off happens the sky should have a milky white film layer as they spread out. Shameful. It makes me sick. Didn't see the planes this time. They have already sprayed and left for someplace else I guess.

I hope you all have a wonderful Saturday and enjoy the great Kentucky weather. I will. Check back later tonight.

Enjoy your day! GO UK!!!!!
Truth

Winchester, KY

#87191 Mar 9, 2013
People don't worry about things you have no control of but do what you can with the good sense that the Good Lord gave you. And that is be ready to meet your Maker Lord and Savoir Jesus Christ the Son of the living God. He's waiting for you to call on His name and believe ON Him and then you will be saved....John 3:16
crawlers

United States

#87192 Mar 9, 2013
Birds can really find all the dirty little worms.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#87193 Mar 9, 2013
Hello, everyone. Just stopped in for a minute to say hi. @Abeliever, As usual your videos gave me a chuckle. Those dogs do dance. Mine don't, they just beg for treats. It's a beautiful day. I just may venture out of the house and take a walk in the sunshine. Spring is definitely around the corner.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#87194 Mar 9, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Taking a break while my pizza is in the oven. I am now on fixed income too and that is why you don't see me out as much as I once went when I was still working. But I am blessed to be alive and have the ability to help others. My retirement pays my bills, but there is none left for "high times", but if I earned more the IRS would just want it. But they can't drink my coffee and eat my sandwich. LOL (or have some of the cake and pie that I get when I mow some old lady's lawn)
I think that if one believes in the hereafter, the main question that will be asked is "How Did You Treat Others". I don't think it will matter all that much if you had an occasional beer or even lost your temper a few times as long as you can say "I generally did my best". I think most church "rules" are just man made anyways to maintain social conformity and have absolutely nothing to do with Worshipping the Creator and respecting HIS creations. time to check the pizza.
AW, my faith in mankind is renewed when I come across people like you. I have always helped others when they were truly in need, including sharing my home with people who were temporarily down in their luck. To me, monetary payment is of no value when I have enough to pay all my bills. My reward is intrinsic, knowing that I have helped someone get through a rough time in life. Our Creator has paid me many times, by allowing me to continue my life on this earth, and by providing all that I need.

I have a friend who is in an emotional crisis right now, and she tells me that she loses her temper over what I consider small misdeeds. She asked me how I seem to remain unruffled when 'bad' things happen. I told her that we are both in the twilight of our lives. We are not'old' nor do we think 'old'. I responded to her question with a question of my own. I asked her how long does she think she will remain in this world. A decade or two passes in the blink of an eye. If you look at life from this point of view, it seems very futile to "sweat the small stuff." Life is a gift and we can choose to treasure each day, or we can squander our days in trivial aggravations. I told my friend that I did not want to reach the end of my days and have regrets about what I should or should not have done. Each one of us is here on earth for a length of time that is swifter than the blink of an eye. Life should be enjoyed, not frittered away by worrying about negative
events and actions. We can never fully experience pleasure without having emotional or physical pain to which we can compare.
Charles

Louisa, KY

#87195 Mar 9, 2013
15,000 sharks less than 200 yd. from the beach. No swimming near Florida beaches for me. LOL.That's scary!
whohaw

AOL

#87196 Mar 9, 2013
Charles wrote:
15,000 sharks less than 200 yd. from the beach. No swimming near Florida beaches for me. LOL.That's scary!
U little wussy,..
LITTLE sharks never hurt anybody

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Florence Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 2 min DITCH MITCH 5,978
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 4 min Le Duped 154,353
What Samantha Ramsey's homocide... justified? 32 min Reads too much 390
Viva La Foxx 4 hr Athenesword 2
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 5 hr Earl 16,172
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) Mon Voter 26,287
HalloweenExpress.com Releases its Top 10 Hallow... (Nov '08) Sun sunshine 4
•••
•••

Florence Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Florence People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Florence News, Events & Info