Buying local helps save local jobs

Full story: Farmington Daily Times

Construction projects and new businesses continue to enter the San Juan County market, and this is good for the community.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 14 of14
Opinion

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2009

In any local economy there are only so many dollars to go around.
The more businesses there are competing for these same dollars does nothing to increase the local economy, however it does mean more jobs.

'we are supporting a growing economy in San Juan County' is a figment of the imagination or a statement of the uninformed:

'Counting the drop off in the workforce since Oct 08 of 600 people, there are now ~ 5700 unemployed in the Farmington Metro Area. With a reported workforce of 58,500 in Oct 09 this gives us a total workforce unemployment rate of 9.7 % with a current job loss rate of 300/month vs 100/month for the same period last year. In other words the Farmington Metro Area is now loosing JOBS 3X faster than at this time last year.'

Loosing JOBS at a rate of 300/month is not indicative of a growing economy.

The only way to grow an economy is to bring in additional money from outside that economy. The Farmington Metro Area needs new industry to bring in new dollars or a way to get the present industries to turn loose of more of their money into the economy - by hiring not cutting jobs.
2cool4school

Craig, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2009

Buying ANYTHING, ANYWHERE helps save jobs, how about that. Abet, people without 'jobs' don't really buy much. Little food here and there I suspose...but not Car's and Homes...'you know', them things. Best thing you can do is "save your money" ...no wait, spend it all, fast as you can, for very soon it will be worth very little. If you save your money you could be saving something that will be worth very little. Hummmmm, what do I do?...
Nothing - your screwed folks! You got your change. Oh, fore I forget...if we have to fund a 'war' in Afganistan, why not have a "War Lotto" just like Powerball - let the Government run the darn thing, without an "Administration Fee" of 80% and we could fund six or seven wars. People will pay a buck or five a week for a chance to win a million plus. Pay for all our wars without a new Tax! What do you think?

“roof only leaks when it rains”

Since: Nov 09

Farmington NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2009

Buying local helps save local jobs. hmmm. Sounds good. In theory. Lets see, Ive been supporting Western Refining for awhile now. Shut down, jobs lost. I also supported The ElPaso Restaurant. Shut down, jobs lost. It doesnt appear that my spending is saving many local jobs.
Analysis

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2009

happyandiknowit wrote:
Buying local helps save local jobs. hmmm. Sounds good. In theory. Lets see, Ive been supporting Western Refining for awhile now. Shut down, jobs lost. I also supported The ElPaso Restaurant. Shut down, jobs lost. It doesnt appear that my spending is saving many local jobs.
Western Refining slipped from net income of $109 million 3rd Qtr 08 to a net loss of $4.8 million 3rd Qtr 09.
The ElPaso Restaurant went bankrupt. Local private restaurants cannot compete with Farmington City Hall's taxpayer subsidized government airport restaurant - the good news is prices will go down in the short term; the bad news is private restaurants will now cut jobs and eventually fail altogether.

“Just a Red Herring”

Since: Apr 08

Farmington, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2009

Analysis wrote:
<quoted text>
Western Refining slipped from net income of $109 million 3rd Qtr 08 to a net loss of $4.8 million 3rd Qtr 09.
Income is different from profit/loss figures...

Farmington NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2009

Analysis wrote:
<quoted text>
The ElPaso Restaurant went bankrupt. Local private restaurants cannot compete with Farmington City Hall's taxpayer subsidized government airport restaurant - the good news is prices will go down in the short term; the bad news is private restaurants will now cut jobs and eventually fail altogether.
Actually, I was being sarcastic in reference to the silly article. According to the paper, Our local branch Elpaso restaurant was profitable but the ones in AZ were not so they all got shut down. I have spoken to some of the Western guys out of Gallup and they said the only reason Bloomfield got shut down is because these guys were union. I dont know if these are valid facts or not. The article didnt make a distinction between 'local'meaning owned and operated and profits stay here in our community and 'local' meaning managed and operated and profits go far, far away. For example, Safeway grocery store and Farmers Market grocery store.
2cool4school

Craig, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2009

Poooh, no one read my tag....darn the luck. And I thought I had a good idea.

Farmington NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2009

2cool4school wrote:
We read it, and it is a good idea which is the one reason it will NEVER be considered. It just makes too much sense and we cant have that silly common sense thing floatin around. Too dangerous!
Chinaman

Los Lunas, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2009

2cool4school wrote:
Bad idea that is why no one read, China loan money - you, your children, and their children pay us interest - eventually we own America.
2cool4school

Craig, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2009

Chinaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Bad idea that is why no one read, China loan money - you, your children, and their children pay us interest - eventually we own America.
Dumb-Assed Chinaman, you already OWN the country. Want to by a lotto ticket?
Willie

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2009

I won't buy from any local racist.

“Just a Red Herring”

Since: Apr 08

Farmington, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2009

Willie wrote:
So NON-local racists are okay then? Out of sight, out of mind?
Jingle all the way

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2009

The best local store and they are friendly to Navajos is R Sports. Other then that I will go to Gallup to shop for Christmas.
2cool4school

Craig, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2009

Willie wrote:
As a "Non-Local" raciest I wouldn't sell to you. Anyone who buy's anything now they can't eat or wear is dumber than a box of rocks. Will not be long befor you can't afford to buy anything unless you work for the Government.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 14 of14
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Flora Vista Discussions

Search the Flora Vista Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Cliven Bundy 4 hr Sand 5
A local chiropractor uses pressure points to he... 8 hr Sand 1
fbi 151 all others 0 8 hr Horace 2
GOP Nothing But Hot Air 9 hr Horace 17
Farmington religious leaders stress importance ... 10 hr Hey Maybe 15
New Mexico has lowest growth rate in region Mon Don 22
Are we not Men? Mon SmokeSignal 7
•••
•••