Scottish deerhound with Minneapolis co-owner is best in show at Westminster dog show

Full story: TwinCities.com 7
A Scottish deerhound that loves to chase wild animals caught her biggest prize yet, winning best in show Tuesday night at the Westminster Kennel Club. Full Story
dum dums

Duluth, MN

#1 Feb 15, 2011
that dog is HUGE...
YouBetcha

AOL

#2 Feb 16, 2011
Keep that mutt contained, on a leash, and don`t bring it up my way. If I catch it chasing ANY animals, I`ll shoot it. A dog that roams of chases is dead in my book.
Mary

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Feb 16, 2011
This piece is poorly written and I expect more from the AP and from the Pioneer Press for publishing this on their site. Starting with a lazy lede that uses an unimaginative and obvious reference to the dog's love of chasing wild animals (what dog doesn't enjoy that?), this article has a lot of problems a first-year journalism student could easily identify. One is blatant inaccuracy, for example, "Hickory won the hound group Monday night, then had to wait around all day for her big chance. That was a lot to ask for dogs that feel most comfortable in the wild, and she clearly managed to do just fine." Domesticated show dogs are hardly more comfortable in the "wild," and if the reporter has ever been to a dog show or interacted with a professional breed competitor, they would know that waiting around is part of the process and that dogs rarely have a negative reaction to this aspect of showing. To finish off this sloppy story, the writer completely switches topics, blabbering about social media/smart phone use at the show. If this story were about social media use at Westminster, that should have been in the lede. The headline tells the reader that this story is about the winner of the show, not about the attendees' cell phones. Surely there is enough information available to write a story of this length about the dog; introducing a completely separate topic is a sign of unskilled reporting. I hope that in the future, the Pioneer Press will use better judgment while selecting articles from the AP, and I suggest this writer work to improve his or her craft.
Tchotchke

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Feb 16, 2011
Yay for the boxer who took 2nd place in the working class competition. She was a beauty, and I think she should have won over the Portuguese water dog!
yeah

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Feb 16, 2011
Finally a REAL dog won instead of a little yappy ankle biter
Civitas

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Feb 16, 2011
YouBetcha wrote:
Keep that mutt contained, on a leash, and don`t bring it up my way. If I catch it chasing ANY animals, I`ll shoot it. A dog that roams of chases is dead in my book.
You're just dripping with charm, aren't you?
YouBetcha

AOL

#7 Feb 16, 2011
Civitas wrote:
<quoted text>
You're just dripping with charm, aren't you?
You`re damn right, and I`m not joking one bit.

I`m sick and tired of the mutts running free and chasing. Sheriff refused to do anything about it, so I took it on myself. I`m now thining them out. If I catch them on my property, they`re dead.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Flint Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Gay Marriage - Front Royal, VA (Aug '10) Dec 13 truth 49
Review: Ridge Line Design LLC Sep '14 tjb4 1
sex freaks (Jun '14) Jun '14 Aaa 1
Donna Williams (May '09) Jun '14 Aaa 7
wife beater (Apr '14) Apr '14 hilljack 1
Who do you support for U.S. House in Virginia (... (Oct '10) Nov '10 Just say no 119
Debate: Marijuana - Flint Hill, VA (Sep '10) Sep '10 Don 1
Flint Hill Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Flint Hill People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Flint Hill News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Flint Hill

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:39 pm PST